The Senate Trial of Donald J Trump 2020

tx 3 putt

1 minute ago, TXSG8R said:

That is still a win for the Rs though.  RGB cant hold on for much longer, another supreme would completely tilt the court.  Then you have all the federal judges they can continue to pump out, foreign policy shifts, etc.  I think that math is a big reason a lot of Rs are holding their noses and playing along under a guy that they hated 4 years ago.  

Yes, it would seem unlikely that RBG and Breyer would/could remain on the court thru 2024.  From the Dem perspective, they need to take the WH or Senate otherwise the GOP will have a stranglehold on the SCOTUS for the next generation.

Ridiculous that Thomas, RBG and Breyer have been on the SCOTUS for 25-28 years now.

23 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Pretty sure the Dems strategy to seek impeachment in the first place has already backfired.  If they wanna double, triple and quadruple down, go for it. 

You'd be wrong about what you are pretty sure about.  

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

No they won't.

What WILL happen, though, and I would expect this from a court with a liberal majority, as well, is that the court will hold that non-compliance with a congressional subpoena on a blanket assertion of executive privilege is impermissible.  The corollary to that, that I would also expect from a liberal court, is that executive privilege must be asserted in response to specific questions or document requests eliciting potentially privileged information.

That means, the witnesses get called, still assert executive privilege, on a per-question basis, and then we have Nixon v. US redux.

You’re the attorney, will defer to you.  However, does the process you described mean we will or won’t see his returns/financials befor the election.  
If the answer is no, it’s all the same.

Just now, DigglerontheHoof said:

You’re the attorney, will defer to you.  However, does the process you described mean we will or won’t see his returns/financials befor the election.  
If the answer is no, it’s all the same.

The financials are a different story than the witnesses.  

I would expect their release to the subpoenaing agencies.  Don't think that means they can go public with them.  But that's the operation of the law, not dependent on the composition of the Supreme Court.

1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

There's nothing stopping John Bolton from holding a press conference this afternoon and telling the American public everything he knows.

He could, but testifying under oath would take away the GOP argument that he is making shit up to sell a book.**

**not that it matters. No cogent, logical, and/or reasonable point matters at this point.

Edited by yoladu

30 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Pretty sure the Dems strategy to seek impeachment in the first place has already backfired.  If they wanna double, triple and quadruple down, go for it. 

75% wanting witnesses isn't a backfire.  But you didn't come here to argue logic. 

1 minute ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I guess we will find out. What should be an easy victory for the Dems in ‘20 to get this buffoon out of office will not transpire. Because they have a terrible collective of candidates and they insist upon themselves with this grandstanding when the majority of the country doesn’t give a shit. It’ll backfire. 

The democratic candidate slate is unrelated to impeachment.

To backfire would mean impeachment tilted the needle toward Trump.  The real question is whether it moved the needle at all.

Just now, Dr. Beeper said:

I guess we will find out. What should be an easy victory for the Dems in ‘20 to get this buffoon out of office will not transpire. Because they have a terrible collective of candidates and they insist upon themselves with this grandstanding when the majority of the country doesn’t give a shit. It’ll backfire. 

Trump now has the full permission of the Senate to cheat as much as he wants and never be removed. Who cares who he's running against?

6 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Every democratic candidate will be viewed in a more negative light because of the impeachment agenda. Because it will tilt the needle toward Trump.

There is nothing that supports your assertion.  Even polling that showed more people against impeachment than for it, they viewed the Democrats' behavior more favorably than Trump. 

18 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Backfire how?  Like a story about dipping on a plane when describing how shitty an airline is?

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Every democratic candidate will be viewed in a more negative light because of the impeachment agenda. Because it will tilt the needle toward Trump.

don't use levels of abstraction.  you are talking about you.  so say it.  now have something can use to justify what was going to do anyway, vote for a guy that even my republican senators just admitted openly tries to cheat the democratic process.  stop referring to it as though it some abstract group out there somewhere.

• Like 6

Just now, HRSchenker said:

CNN just had a ticker saying that the final vote may get delayed until next week so senators can speak individually. Seriously?! The trial is going to go through goddamn February at this pace

good. make the fucker sweat for another month. the longer this goes on the more heat these traitor senators are going to feel too. 

• Like 1

Just now, HRSchenker said:

CNN just had a ticker saying that the final vote may get delayed until next week so senators can speak individually. Seriously?! The trial is going to go through goddamn February at this pace

But but but the Republicans want to get back to work, and they don't want to drag the trial out!!!  This is fake news.

12 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

This is good.  There needs to be some finger pointing in the Senate.  He needs to sweat through the State of the Union, not gloat.

45 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Trump now has the full permission of the Senate to cheat as much as he wants and never be removed. Who cares who he's running against?

yep.  every one of these Republicans, along with Trump, need to be dragged out of their buildings and strung up.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

24 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

That explains it.  It's applying a cold blanket.  It keeps the vocal Congressional protesters silenced thought the SOTU.  fuck them.

2 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

stupid question: WHY is having witnesses and such even something that is up for a vote? why isn't that standard procedure?

Senate makes up its own rules; rules are subject to being rewritten for each impeachment trial (which they were in this case).

22 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Honest question, have y’all ever been polled?  I’ve never been polled in my life.  I don’t even know how most polling occurs, whether over the phone, approached in public, etc. I imagine a lot of people want to avoid pollsters like the plague. 

Yes, I was polled on my old landline in the lead up to the 2008 election. After responding, they asked me if I wanted to take part in their Gallup Panel Survey. I agreed and was regularly polled by them through occasional emails for a few years. Not all of the topics were political - sometimes they were about well being, opinions on the economy, how I felt about my community, workplace, etc.

11 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

stupid question: WHY is having witnesses and such even something that is up for a vote? why isn't that standard procedure?

I hear you but since they get to vote on the exact witnesses, you really have to first decide if there should any at all. Otherwise, the House managers or the defendant could call for 100s of witnesses and each one has to be voted down.

Given this trial, it seems to me there are better ways to handle this.  The initial Senate trial vote should first be whether you think the President is guilty of the alleged crime. 51 votes to convict.  Then vote whether the punishment is removal requiring 67 votes.

Of course, it's no surprise that impeachment is not the smoothest process since it rarely occurs.

Charities steered $65M to Trump lawyer Sekulow and family

The Associated Press reviewed 10 years of tax returns for the ACLJ and other charities tied to Sekulow, which are released to the public under federal law. The records from 2008 to 2017, the most recent year available, show that more than $65 million in charitable funds were paid to Sekulow, his wife, his sons, his brother, his sister-in-law, his nephew and corporations they own.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/charities-steered-dollar65m-to-trump-lawyer-sekulow-and-family/ar-BBZuOQ9?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=DELLDHP

How much has Mitch, Graham and other high ranking congressmen getting to look the other way?

Cowards. The lot of them are traiterous cowards who chose Dotard over their country. Every single one of them who chose to not allow witnesses to be heard from can burn in hell. This is not a functioning anything on any level of government. We all knew he would not be removed, but to be this cowardly and spineless sinks the Dotard cult lower than they already are.

• Like 1