The Senate Trial of Donald J Trump 2020

tx 3 putt

10 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Most of Gen Z is not at fault.  Most of them haven't been able to vote yet.  And they will bear the brunt of most of this.  If we are talking generations, it obviously has to be the baby boomers.

that's who i blame.  a bunch of olds nursing grudges for the last half century for having to share schools with darkies, looking for some way to lash out.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Gap03 said:

MSNBC is saying Nadler cut Schiff off.  If so, Pelosi needs to take him behind the woodshed because he sucks compared to Schiff.

13 hours ago, Anastasis said:

"Jerry, Jerry, Jerry" is what I heard from Schiff while Nadler headed to the lectern. 

13 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

Schiff is a much more effective advocate than nadler. That’s been obvious for months. 

i know these post were from last night, but i actually saw this happen and immediately thought it was a terrible look for nadler and the democrats. nadler is clearly angry with the republicans, but he doesn't come across good, and frankly, schiff and deming are the ones who need to be doing the talking. nadler has been petulant this whole trial, and letting his emotions run away with him does no one any favors.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

Well, not nothing. All of the information is going to come out. And there's an election in November.

Oh.  You think there will be an actual fair election.

You're adorable.

Dark oligarch money will drive the bus, and win.  Voter disenfranchisement efforts (hey, Texas just cited for shamelessly violating voter registration laws!) will work.  The die has been cast -- minority rule wins the day, and we'll never effectively wrest it back.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Citizens United opened the door for unlimited $$$ pumped into the elections.  We may never see another Democratic president.

Russia will be pouring $$$ and misinformation in so that Trump and other Republican stay in power.

You may be right as long as Republicans are the only ones that vote. These people that don’t vote because “I don’t like who’s running”, “My vote doesn’t matter in this state and I’ll start voting when the Dems get competitive” crap will only keep the Republicans in charge from now on, and the Supreme Court conservative for years. It also opens the door to candidates like Trump running. The Reps played the long game and won. It’s disheartening because this economy the country is enjoying is the Obama economy. The Trump policies like deregulation and massive tax cuts will blow up at some point. Maybe it’s only right that he’s in power when it does instead of a Democrat having to clean it up again and taking the blame from Republicans. 

Last night I had to wait in the car for my beloved who was undergoing some therapy. I got a 32 oz Miller and listened to the QA.

The managers remained decorous and on point. I was proud of them all.

On the other side, you have the shameless sophistry and distortion.

The whole thing reminded me of the Michael Jackson trial where the obvious signs that the man was perhaps a tragic freak were absolutely ignored by his supporters. They only wanted to hear exculpatory evidence to remain deluded as to Jackson's normality.

So it is here with the constant liar Trump. The supporters in the Senate can convince themselves that good man Donald is a victim. Donald seeks only to do good. His daily demonstrations of deplorable character don't factor into the appraisal of his totally in character extortion scheme.

It's obvious. He has no business leading this or any free country, but it just doesn't matter to so many people.

Thus fails a republic. Thus wickedness becomes the embraced norm. Thus the shining city on a hill gathers tarnish and smut to never shine again.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Brandywine said:

You may be right as long as Republicans are the only ones that vote. These people that don’t vote because “I don’t like who’s running”, “My vote doesn’t matter in this state and I’ll start voting when the Dems get competitive” crap will only keep the Republicans in charge from now on, and the Supreme Court conservative for years. It also opens the door to candidates like Trump running. The Reps played the long game and won. It’s disheartening because this economy the country is enjoying is the Obama economy. The Trump policies like deregulation and massive tax cuts will blow up at some point. Maybe it’s only right that he’s in power when it does instead of a Democrat having to clean it up again and taking the blame from Republicans. 

Hopefully, Trump winning will finally put that "my vote doesn't matter" shit to bed. You never hear that statement from conservatives or old people. It's time for liberals and young people to realize that their vote matters quite a bit. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, NWBuck said:

As a Z, I'm just hoping that the Millinieals will start working soon enough and with enough magnitude to allow me to experience the universal tax-subsidized goodies that they're all going to be voting for.

I'll take those over the non-universal tax subsidized goodies that go mostly to the rich. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

Cipollone was in the room. He was a fact witness to this crime, and acted as Trump's attorney. My God, this is so illegal. 

I won't comment on the illegality of it, because I'm not qualified to do so, but I am qualified to say Cipollone was clearly out of his element in those proceedings.  He just doesn't have the intellectual horsepower to hang with the better attorneys in the room.

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

I won't comment on the illegality of it, because I'm not qualified to do so, but I am qualified to say Cipollone was clearly out of his element in those proceedings.  He just doesn't have the intellectual horsepower to hang with the better attorneys in the room.

But just like Jim Jordan in the house hearings, intelligence and facts don’t matter here. His job is to sound smug, and indignant, and aggressive so that the Fox News PR hype machine can repackage clips as evidence to feed to the rubes. 

I’m sitting at lunch next to a couple gentlemen at the bar. White, appear to be successful, about 60 years old. 

One of them brings up the subject of impeachment. The other says he’s tired of it, and that there’s no need for more witnesses because the republicans will then have to call the Biden’s and the whistleblower turning it into a circus. 

The problem is not the rural white trash. It’s the White baby boomer olds. They’re the ones that should know better. 

16 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

And the reality of the situation is that the Constitution gives the Chief Justice a minimal role in this proceeding and the Supreme Court none.

He's not acting as a federal district judge presiding over a criminal trial and Liz damn well knows it.  Weak analogies between this and a criminal trial are ok for laypeople I suppose, but not for Elizabeth Warren.

Why is he there but if not to lend fake credibility to the preceding?  She knows it, and she is attempting to get him to admit this is a sham, and remove that attempt of legitimacy.  You seem to have a hard-on for calling her out for calling this rigged circus a circus.   

Is it too early for an in-depth post-mortem here?  I'd be curious on people's thoughts about the individuals most responsible for the death of the Republic.  I'll start, in no particular order:
  • Rush Limbaugh / Rupert Murdoch - as leaders of the fear-mongering movement that led to the creation and solidification of "The Base" (you know ... morons)
  • Koch brothers / Robert Mercer / Sheldon Adelson - for funding the modern GOP's efforts to undermine the principal tenets of democracy over the last several decades 
  • Justices Kennedy and Roberts (along with assists from Alito, Thomas and Scalia) - for their decisions in Citizens United (allowing the flood of dark money into US politics) and Shelby County v. Holder (killing the VRA because "there wasn't enough racism to justify it" (ha!))
  • Bill Barr - for his cover-up of the GOP's blatant criminality 
  • Mitch McConnell - for his tactics in packing the judiciary, covering up GOP criminality and generally taking partisan politics in Congress "up to 11"
  • Donald Trump - for pushing the country into a post-truth dystopia (with an assist from Fox News / Murdoch)
Who else shares the blame with where we are?

It’s Limbaugh. He started the propaganda wars disguised as a political commentator.

Most of Gen Z is not at fault.  Most of them haven't been able to vote yet.  And they will bear the brunt of most of this.  If we are talking generations, it obviously has to be the baby boomers.

Although Gen X has been completely worthless so far.

1 hour ago, heso said:

The rural poor, the racists, the evangelicals have made Trump their fat, orange, god-king.

Are there any good books analyzing humans decisions to follow people like Hitler and Trump?

Trump could not be any more polar opposite than his followers. They literally have nothing in common.

Hell, natural selection dictates people like Hitler and Trump should sink to the bottom of the gene pool. Yet, they find a way to convince millions to prop them up.

Just now, Biff Tannen said:

Wait what?  She's just giving it all up even though she has the power to stop it?

I called it last night.  51-49 was baked in.  It allows furrowed brows, maybe a little aisle-crossing, but in the end, "oh well, the votes just weren't there."

5 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Why is he there but if not to lend fake credibility to the preceding?  She knows it, and she is attempting to get him to admit this is a sham, and remove that attempt of legitimacy.  You seem to have a hard-on for calling her out for calling this rigged circus a circus.   

People’s only memory of an impeachment trial is the really stupid one against Clinton for lying in a deposition about a blowjob. Everyone knew he lied, but nobody gave a shit except newt and the Republican corrupt crew. Lying about blowjobs, even under oath, is not even close to a high crime or misdemeanor.

So during that trial, Chief Justice Rehnquist wisely didn’t do jack shit except wear a super fancy robe. 

Back in the 19th century, however, the Chief Justice Chase inserted himself into the trial by declaring he could break a tie in the senate.  And I believe he was right to do so even if controversial.

If the senate can’t decide and ties, normally the Vice President is the deciding vote. Since during an impeachment trial this would be an obvious conflict of interest, the founders put the Chief Justice in place of the Vice President. To argue he can’t break a try is to argue he really shouldn’t even be there and either Lenny or Squiggy should “preside” over the trial instead. 

And I know I’m right because the Washington Times disagrees with me. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

Stick a fork in it. Trial is done. 

Looks like Chief Justice Roberts agreed with me and told Moscow Mitch if the vote is a tie he’s ordering witnesses and documents. 

Moscow Mitch understood,  then ordered Murkawski to vote no. She’s safe in her seat, so she complied, probably securing a new bridge to nowhere in the process, one named after her with a large Russian payment as a bonus. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

i know these post were from last night, but i actually saw this happen and immediately thought it was a terrible look for nadler and the democrats. nadler is clearly angry with the republicans, but he doesn't come across good, and frankly, schiff and deming are the ones who need to be doing the talking. nadler has been petulant this whole trial, and letting his emotions run away with him does no one any favors.

It was a pretty bad way to close. All star watching the bottom of the line up grab the bat and go to the plate. 

Murkowski references an attempt to pull the Supreme Court into this mess. That means she was told by Moscow Mitch if she votes for witnesses creating a tie that Chief Justice Roberts was going to break it. I hate being right sometimes.  

If trump wins in November the senate is done as an institution. 

21 minutes ago, pacman said:

Are there any good books analyzing humans decisions to follow people like Hitler and Trump?

Trump could not be any more polar opposite than his followers. They literally have nothing in common.

Hell, natural selection dictates people like Hitler and Trump should sink to the bottom of the gene pool. Yet, they find a way to convince millions to prop them up.

51MgzGmvs7L._SX342_.jpg

• Like 1

Trump's strategy is brilliant. So much crime, so much corruption, so many lies - the American public becomes exhausted.

Time for the Dems to use the same playbook. New impeachment charges; bribery, treason, etc. Impeach Trump a 2nd time, a 3rd time, a 4th time. Impeach him over and over until the GOP senators are exhausted.