Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

Guest Lobo
15 hours ago, Telegraph_it said:

I’ll be dipped. 

Or, maybe the three researchers had an unrelated breakthrough on another virus...and the team leader declared, "Excellent job team!  We're going to celebrate at the Huanan Market!  Baijiu and Fruit Bats on me!"  

23 hours ago, KYHorn said:

Posted in the other one because I don't see the difference b/t the two threads now.

The previous difference is that this one would actually have information posted in between versions of "the chicom bat virus is the cause of everything"/"Cuoumo killed old people and covered it up for book $" and bombing runs from active CR posters that would come over and say "desantis is the devil" or "none of this would've happened if Trump was dead".  Those competing commentary annoyed Hayden so he effectively killed the thread.  Good job

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, babysdaddy said:

The previous difference is that this one would actually have information posted in between versions of "the chicom bat virus is the cause of everything"/"Cuoumo killed old people and covered it up for book $" and bombing runs from active CR posters that would come over and say "desantis is the devil" or "none of this would've happened if Trump was dead".  Those competing commentary annoyed Hayden so he effectively killed the thread.  Good job

I agree it was a pointless move. Just close the thread instead, or leave it be.

On 5/19/2021 at 4:36 PM, Fudge Nuggets said:

I might switch out the mask for a bandana and go with the old school stick-up boy look.

If you're going for the Bandit look, ditch the mask and shoot for this:

images (3).jpeg

11 hours ago, Lobo said:

Or, maybe the three researchers had an unrelated breakthrough on another virus...and the team leader declared, "Excellent job team!  We're going to celebrate at the Huanan Market!  Baijiu and Fruit Bats on me!"  

fruit-bat-curry.jpg

• Rage+1 1

17 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

WTF

Is it?

Seriously, I thought U.S. interests always considered a lab leak in China as a possible startpoint for the spread of Covid, among other possibilities. The charge was faulty safety protocols at the lab, which called into question why some researchers outside China were using that lab.  

Is it because the focus has been on slowing and stopping the pandemic (which left U.S. interests weakened and not in prime shape to fully antagonize China)?  IIRC, causation was left for another day (when the U.S. was in better shape). It looks like that day has arrived.

We are waging an economic war with China (and Russia, Iran, NK, . . .). It it rather intense at the moment, so I am not surprised. 

But I may be missing something on why it is a wtf moment for others - so I would like to know more if you are willing to share.

Edited by washparkhorn

3 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Maybe it’s clickbait but the way it’s worded implies manipulation to form a novel coronavirus rather than lax containment measures

Got it. Thanks. 

Weaponization of the virus remains a concern on the table as the rather serious geopolitical gamesmanship continues to play out. 

Previous cov outbreaks were linked to clear animal origins pretty quickly. We are 18 months into this one and haven’t tracked down the animal chain. Don’t trust the spooks. They release information at a cadence and with timing that serves their own purposes. Trust common sense and context. 

13 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

So . . ., what does the contextual common sense tell you on the origins?  

Inadvertent lab release of specimens collected from Yunnan caves +/- some serial passage research. 

Edited by Anastasis
  • Hook 'Em 2

25 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Inadvertent

Thank you. One more question, if you have a moment. Is this reliable information, in your opinion?

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/rmv.2222

SARS-CoV-2, Covid-19, and the debunking of conspiracy theories
Mohamad S. Hakim
First published: 14 February 2021 https://doi.org/10.1002/rmv.2222

Summary
The emergence of a novel human coronavirus, severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2), has engaged considerable awareness and attention around the world. The associated disease, coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19), has now involved virtually all 200 countries. The total number of confirmed cases has been much more than in the two previous outbreaks of human coronaviruses, that is, SARS-CoV and Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus.

In line with the outbreak escalation, false information about SARS-CoV-2 and its associated disease disseminated globally, particularly through online and social media. Believers in conspiracy theories promote misinformation that the virus is not contagious, is the result of laboratory manipulation or is created to gain profit by distributing new vaccines.

The most dangerous effect of this widely disseminated misinformation is it will negatively influence the attitudes and behaviours for preventive measures to contain the outbreak.

In this review, I discuss common conspiracy theories associated with SARS-CoV-2 and Covid-19 and consider how we can address and counterbalance these issues based on scientific information and studies.

1 hour ago, washparkhorn said:

Thank you. One more question, if you have a moment. Is this reliable information, in your opinion?

I think that dr hakim will probably regret portions of that manuscript. 

Edited by Anastasis
  • Hook 'Em 1

Guest Lobo

Yeah, she's been all over the place...worse than other governors.  But I'm gonna go ahead and take into account there's been two well-documented federal instances of people trying to rape her and execute her family.  I'm just gonna play my half-ass Christian card on this one and giver her a pass.  

Yeah, she's been all over the place...worse than other governors.  But I'm gonna go ahead and take into account there's been two well-documented federal instances of people trying to rape her and execute her family.  I'm just gonna play my half-ass Christian card on this one and giver her a pass.  

You’re gonna give her a pass because she was busted in a photo?

It's the boy who cried wolf.  When you have a President and administration that literally lied every day, eventually they were gonna be right about something and it got dismissed because the President was doing things like saying the virus would be gone by Easter and that drinking bleach would prevent it.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, kevwun said:

It's the boy who cried wolf.  When you have a President and administration that literally lied every day, eventually they will be correct about something and it will get dismissed.

Or it’s people so blinded by hate that you suspend use of common sense. Or brain worms as they’ve been called. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, GRHorn said:

Or it’s people so blinded by hate that you suspend use of common sense. Or brain worms as they’ve been called. 

Trying a little introspection here, but I'm not sure that was the case for me.  I dismissed it because the lab theory was so tied to "weaponized virus" and other conspiracy nonsense that I wasn't able to parse out (what now looks to be) the nugget of truth.  I'll concede a great amount of hate toward Trump, but I don't think my general brain worms ate up the part of my head I was using for this task.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

You’re gonna give her a pass because she was busted in a photo?

11 hours ago, Lobo said:

No, I'm giving her a pass because people do dumb shit after people try to kill them and their families.  

He's 'giving her a pass' because he's involved in Republican politics in Texas and now, because of Trump and 1/6, traditional Rs have taken on appeasement behavior.

At some point you must move on Lobo.  Don't apologize for something you did not support or participate in.

50 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Simply incredible stuff from the Washington Post’s “fact checker.”

”Suddenly”

This was always the answer.  the only question was on purpose or accident(leave aside the engineered vs. natural for now).  occams razor and all that.  there were reasons certain folks didn't want to push it or minimize it in the press.

Now that covid is receding in US the slow play has been called.

So yeah...FUCK CHINA...in the ass(for good measure)

23 minutes ago, kevwun said:

It's the boy who cried wolf.  When you have a President and administration that literally lied every day, eventually they were gonna be right about something and it got dismissed because the President was doing things like saying the virus would be gone by Easter and that drinking bleach would prevent it.

LOL. this is fucking rich.

27 minutes ago, kevwun said:

christmas vacation GIF

20 minutes ago, OneOfTheOutOfFocusGuys said:

I dismissed it because the lab theory was so tied to "weaponized virus" and other conspiracy nonsense that I wasn't able to parse out (what now looks to be) the nugget of truth.

A lot of this.  There WAS some discussion of potentially sloppy lab practices, but they were dwarfed by the weaponized, intentional release, bio-warfare bullshit.  And yes, this is a big downside of trafficking in conspiracy theories left and right.  It IS a "boy cried wolf" problem.  Hell, even when the very real possibility of a lab failure is embedded within the picture, the story is inextricably intertwined to China being at war with us and doing something on purpose.

The current analysis seems credible, and worthy of full investigation.

9 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

christmas vacation GIF

Yeah, do you want us to list the hundreds of things Trump and his admin said about the virus that weren't correct?  Shit like this happens when you don't tell the truth.  People don't believe anything you say and 99 times out of 100, they end up being right.  The 1 isn't a gotcha moment that negates the 99 lies.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

The current analysis seems credible, and worthy of full investigation.

I think that a question that we should also be asking is why the timing of this leak now, and why through the WSJ.  The NYT would be the typical stenography channel for the IC.  

I don't recall caring, much less advocating one way or the other as to how the virus got loose.  Not that it's not interesting, especially in terms of improving health and safety protocols moving forward, but in my world, losing thousands of Americans every day occupied almost my entire concern.

Animal-> human, perhaps at a wet market, uh maybe?

Got loose from a research lab, uh maybe?

• Hook 'Em 7

The good news for me is now most of the folks in the likely U.S. covid kill zone, are merely helping further Darwin's theory of natural selection.

We need to do a better job of getting the poor and uneducated to get vaccine doses.  As for the Trumper anti-vaxers, you simply cannot fix stupid, as Ron White so eloquently stated a few years back.

54 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Nope. Trump and his administration lied about a crowd size on day one. Then lied about everything even else when he didn’t need to. His credibility and his administrations credibility is and was dogshit. That’s the lesson from the boy who cried wolf. Guess you never heard of that story either. 

44 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Nope. Trump and his administration lied about a crowd size on day one. Then lied about everything even else when he didn’t need to. His credibility and his administrations credibility is and was dogshit. That’s the lesson from the boy who cried wolf. Guess you never heard of that story either. 

Now show me China's lies.  We can see who lied the most and then I'll know who to believe. 

Or, stay with me Jimbo, I could use common sense.