Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

From the department of shark-farts:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/26/health/covid-19-immunity-wanes-large-study-finds/index.html

Largest and most recent study of its kind of declining immunity.  From the Whitest People we Know in England.

There is some encouragement at the end of the article from their colleagues back here in Cleveland, the virus is starting to behave in a more predictable fashion instead of being a complete asshole about everything.  

13 minutes ago, Lobo said:

From the department of shark-farts:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/26/health/covid-19-immunity-wanes-large-study-finds/index.html

Largest and most recent study of its kind of declining immunity.  From the Whitest People we Know in England.

There is some encouragement at the end of the article from their colleagues back here in Cleveland, the virus is starting to behave in a more predictable fashion instead of being a complete asshole about everything.  

The interesting thing to me was where it said the proportion of medical workers with antibodies did not decline. Is it possible that continued exposure to the virus keeps your body from losing the antibodies?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Uhh, @dcar00 continues to say mask usage isn’t an effective method to control the spread of this virus. That’s arguing against masks, but he’ll try and convince folks otherwise. 

yeah thats what I said.  now about Europe where their mask usage is off the charts, right?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, dcar00 said:

yeah thats what I said.  now about Europe where their mask usage is off the charts, right?

BUT EUROPE! is the new BUT HILARY/OBAMA!

there are plenty of idiots in europe that won't wear masks or socially distance. but you're totally not arguing against masks, right?

32 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

People, if you want to see if there are more cases or less, you want to look at the time series of test positivity, not number of reported cases

What? that's fucking stupid. 

Let me help you out, I have something pretty novel that you can try out.  Go to google, and type "number of new Covid cases per day" and see what you get. 

Also, fewer.

Edited by BradInATX

3 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

BUT EUROPE! is the new BUT HILARY/OBAMA!

there are plenty of idiots in europe that won't wear masks or socially distance. but you're totally not arguing against masks, right?

nope Europe was where all the smart people were wearing masks everywhere.  now their cases are spiking like crazy and you pull the "but Hillary card" to as usual try to obfuscate the situation.  you have no empirical evidence about how much they help and mask usage is entirely anecdotal, especially for an entire city or country.

I argued that they aren't as effective as people are claiming.  I wear a mask when required and one that actually might help vs. the dumbasses wearing stupid gaiters and cloth coverings.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

What? that's fucking stupid. 

Let me help you out, I have something pretty novel that you can try out.  Go to google, and type "number of new Covid cases per day" and see what you get. 

Also, fewer.

You know what's fucking stupid? not understanding basic statistics.

If a fixed percentage of a population is infected, and never changes, and you sample more of that population, what do you get?  more discovered positive cases.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

nope Europe was where all the smart people were wearing masks everywhere.  now their cases are spiking like crazy and you pull the "but Hillary card" to as usual try to obfuscate the situation.  you have no empirical evidence about how much they help and mask usage is entirely anecdotal, especially for an entire city or country.

I argued that they aren't as effective as people are claiming.  I wear a mask when required and one that actually might help vs. the dumbasses wearing stupid gaiters and cloth coverings.

How people read your post:

Don't wear masks because they don't work.

5 minutes ago, Foosters said:

About 800 pages of downplaying the virus followed by a flurry of "Look at Europe! The bodies are piling up in the streets!"

the bodies are not piling up because they aren't shipping covid positive people to old folks homes.

6 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

You know what's fucking stupid? not understanding basic statistics.

If a fixed percentage of a population is infected, and never changes, and you sample more of that population, what do you get?  more discovered positive cases.

Your argument is that the best way to figure out whether we have more or fewer new cases is not to look at new cases, but rather some other loosely-correlated metric.

Haha. Ok buddy.

Just now, BradInATX said:

Your argument is that the best way to figure out whether we have more or fewer new cases is not to look at new cases, but rather some other loosely-correlated metric.

Haha. Ok buddy.

are you too dense to not understand  a new reported case is a function of sampling? 

loosely-correlated metric.  haha.

3 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

are you too dense to not understand  a new reported case is a function of sampling? 

loosely-correlated metric.  haha.

Well, one of us has done math and data-science for a living for about two decades and the other is way out of his depth. I'd say arguing about shit one knows nothing about is a pretty good sign of a dense person. 

But let's play along, maybe I can teach you a few things. You believe that sampling can create variance in cases, and that's true to some extent. Let's talk about your assertion that positive percentage is a better metric. Can you think of any flaws or reasons why positive percentage would have severe accuracy issues?

Edited by BradInATX

19 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

you don't believe in science. you spend all day on FB sharing Q posts. we get it, man.

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

because people are dumb?

"Vaccines dont hurt, but they help little."

I would be dumb to assume that person doesn't think vaccines work?

And for what its worth, I understood your point. But to act like your statement cant be construed that way is a bit disingenuous.

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

so cute.  :Science Denier!!!"   now tell us the bedtime story about the smart people in Europe again...

there's dozens upon dozens of published studies showing the effectiveness of mask wearing to reduce the spread of the virus. but you don't believe in science, so you'll completely ignore all of them and go with your gut feeling.

13 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Well, one of us has done math and data-science for a living for about two decades and the other is way out of his depth. I'd say arguing about shit one knows nothing about is a pretty good sign of a dense person. 

But let's play along, maybe I can teach you a few things. You believe that sampling can create variance in cases, and that's true to some extent. Let's talk about your assertion that positive percentage is a better metric. Can you think of any flaws or reasons why positive percentage would have severe accuracy issues?

Wow.  Credentialism.  I'm very impressed.  Can you tell us if nobody takes a single test tomorrow, how many new cases will be discovered?  And what sort of degree you'll need to figure that one out?

Just now, 52-80 said:

Wow.  Credentialism.  I'm very impressed.  Can you tell us if nobody takes a single test tomorrow, how many new cases will be discovered?  And what sort of degree you'll need to figure that one out?

Are you going to answer my question or continue to be childish and avoid a real discussion?

15 minutes ago, 52-80 said:
I already asked 2 questions you didnt answer so if you want to play along, start there

Okay kid. Let me know when you want to be serious. Until then, enjoy your time posting low-effort tripe while the resident white trash science-deniers and conspiracy theorists throw reps your way. 

"The best way to gauge rainfall isn't to look at the rain gauge but actually to look at how much your grass grew!" -math genius

Edited by BradInATX

9 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Can you tell us if nobody takes a single test tomorrow, how many new cases will be discovered?  And what sort of degree you'll need to figure that one out?

Well first off what kind of test? and what type of cases? Are we talking Columbus "discovery" or more of the channel? Are we talking Fahrenheit, Celsius or Kelvin? And what are we trying to figure out?

10 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Okay kid. Let me know when you want to be serious. Until then, enjoy your time posting low-effort tripe while the resident white trash science-deniers and conspiracy theorists throw reps your way. 

"The best way to gauge rainfall isn't to look at the rain gauge but actually to look at how much your grass grew!" -math genius

"The best way to gauge annual rainfall in Texas is to measure 3 days in July" -purple-haired scientist

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Well first off what kind of test? and what type of cases? Are we talking Columbus "discovery" or more of the channel? Are we talking Fahrenheit, Celsius or Kelvin? And what are we trying to figure out?

We're trying to figure out how long until Brad demands to compare paystubs

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

"The best way to gauge annual rainfall in Texas is to measure 3 days in July" -purple-haired scientist

Would putting out rain gauges around my yard make for more cases of precipitation?  Because I'll try anything at this point.  I need it to get healthy before it goes into dormancy in a few weeks.  

Texas is at 80% ICU capacity again.  Somebody here over the summer was giving a good breakdown of how ICU capacity was a moving number because many hospitals were converting spaces to ICU due to demand (so 80% of current capacity would probably mean something close to 100% of traditional capacity).  I suspect they probably reverted some of those back to regular beds after things leveled off in August; but I bet are once again ramping up conversion given this new wave.  

Edited by Lobo

9 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Correct. Preventative measures Introduced, then Lifted. 

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(20)30785-4/fulltext

image.thumb.png.84c12a3a874730e95ca5af6742e28b90.png

That's some badass work there, thanks for posting. Will dig through this later after work. There's definitely going to be some overlap on those which can muddy it a bit, but still a lot of value in looking at that. Would be nice if they had mask mandates in there as well, but that's established science already.

Edited by BradInATX

The silly thing about masks and mask deniers - masks are easy to use, cheap, and have few economic effects. Despite that - some people are just dumb and will not wear masks. Perhaps ACB will reinstitute the scarlett letter for mask-deniers.

Preprint research on masks:

• We find that, two weeks after implementation, mask mandates are associated, on average, with a reduction of 29 to 37 log points in the weekly case growth rate, which can be interpreted as a 25 to 31% weekly reduction in new diagnosed COVID-19 cases in Ontario, relative to the trend in absence of mask mandate.
  • We find corroborating evidence in the province-level analysis, with a 36 to 46% weekly reduction in cases relative to the no-mandate trend, depending on the empirical specification.
  • Furthermore, using additional survey data (Jones et al. 2020), we show that mask mandates increased self-reported mask usage in Canada by 30 percentage points shortly after implementation, suggesting that the policy has a significant impact on behaviour.
  • Jointly, our results suggest that mandating mask wearing in indoor public places can be a powerful policy tool to slow the spread of COVID-19, with little associated economic disruption at least in the short run."

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.09.24.20201178v2.full-text

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away