Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

1 minute ago, slorch said:

It's not really partisan.   1) Why the fuck aren't people donning el masko? 2) are los maskos available at the polls?

It shouldn't be partisan, but it's 2020.  You can read it for yourself.  The State of Texas doesn't think everybody has a mask by now.

https://www.kxan.com/news/texas/texas-voters-have-to-wear-masks-while-voting-despite-gov-greg-abbotts-exemption-federal-judge-rules/

26 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

It shouldn't be partisan, but it's 2020.  You can read it for yourself.  The State of Texas doesn't think everybody has a mask by now.

https://www.kxan.com/news/texas/texas-voters-have-to-wear-masks-while-voting-despite-gov-greg-abbotts-exemption-federal-judge-rules/

Just looking out for the disenfranchised!

4 hours ago, GringoSalado said:

As pointed out upthread the Hispanic/Mexican culture doesn't lend itself to social distancing. Most infections I know are Hispanic, of course most people I know are Hispanic, but I have 3 acquaintances where the whole extended family got it in a short time but spread over half-dozen households & etc.

Yes, this is what I’m noticing in clinic about the spread. This wonderful cultural aspect of gathering extended family in the Hispanic community is unfortunately a primer for Covid spread. 

1 hour ago, Newdoc said:

Yes, this is what I’m noticing in clinic about the spread. This wonderful cultural aspect of gathering extended family in the Hispanic community is unfortunately a primer for Covid spread. 

Not just in Texas. I am in Northern Virginia and the same story. Oh, but during the drive up here saw plenty of fuckheads across the SEC with no mask, half mask or crappy masks. 

Mr Macron said that under the new measures, starting on Friday, people would only be allowed to leave home for essential work or medical reasons.

Non-essential businesses, such as restaurants and bars, will close, but schools and factories will remain open.

Covid daily deaths in France are at the highest level since April. On Tuesday, 33,000 new cases were confirmed.

Mr Macron said the country risked being "overwhelmed by a second wave that no doubt will be harder than the first". 

Meanwhile, Germany will impose an emergency lockdown that is less severe but includes the closure of restaurants, gyms and theatres.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-54716993

12 hours ago, Newdoc said:

Yeah they stopped inviting me over to Cowboys game-watch but todavia vienen los primos and whoever else.

4 hours ago, NoName said:

COVID patients are being transferred from El Paso into San Antonio (a number of different systems/hospitals in SA) - started in the last 12-18ish hours

And Dallas/Fort Worth.  They are saying that they are not transferring covid patients, but other patients to free up hospital beds in EP for covid patients.  That makes sense, because it's a real pain-in-the-ass to transfer covid patients between cities (all the gear, disinfecting, etc.).  Also, cities will more likely take those patients, versus covid patients that could take up critical assets.  The Army hospital at Bliss is also trying to relieve some of the strain, and supposedly the Army is bringing in more medical folks from out-of-state.

The state is offering to cover all transport costs for patients, which will help a lot, since it's voluntary.

And if I was a non-covid patient in an EP hospital, the first moment somebody offered me a transfer elsewhere, I'd be screaming "GET ME THE FUCK OUT OF HERE".

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, slorch said:

It's not really partisan.   1) Why the fuck aren't people donning el masko? 2) are los maskos available at the polls?( they were at mine, but I had my own)

Masks required at mine, and were available. But everyone I saw was already wearing one.

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

The state is offering to cover all transport costs for patients, which will help a lot, since it's voluntary.

This is how this plays out:

Hospital: “would you volunteer to be transferred to San Antonio? The State would pay the transportation”

Patient: “OK”

Three months later patient gets a $50k bill from some company he never heard of for “transportation”. Patient calls company, says “they told me the State would pay for this”

”Yeah, no”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Apparently my rural small-town Grandpa & Dad didn’t, as they caught the Spanish flu and damn near died from it in 1918. Luckily Grandma was too ornery to get sick and was able to nurse them through it.

Being the family genealogist, I have a lot of entries in my databases of family members whose lives ended between 1919-1920.  Like the kinds of numbers that stand out, especially since many of the ages ranged from little kids to young adults (and only a few died in WWI).

3 minutes ago, B00M said:

Was mask wearing political during the Spanish flu? I assume plenty of folks didn't wear them out of ignorance or whatever but did any politicians latch onto it?

I don't think so, because a lot more people were dying - if you got pneumonia, you were properly fucked back then.  I think like more than half of the Spanish Flu deaths were from complications (pneumonia, etc.), and most of the deaths could have been treated with today's medicine/medical practices.

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Who won that game?

spacer.png

On a serious note, when you see people bitching about "freedom" and mask mandates, remind them that their grandparents/great-grandparents/great-great-grandparents wore them a century ago.

Oh you think your grandparents liked masks?  They merely adopted the masks.  I was born in it.  Moulded by it. 

bane-covid-19-masks_t6y5.jpg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Who won that game?

spacer.png

On a serious note, when you see people bitching about "freedom" and mask mandates, remind them that their grandparents/great-grandparents/great-great-grandparents wore them a century ago.

And that not all those masks were to survive German gassing.

1 minute ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Still totally lost.  2020 Russia's pretty close to as far from being Communist as any place on the planet.  Totalitarian?  Yes.  Dictatorship? Yes.  Communist? Holy shit no.

Who owns the vast apartment blocks and all the former commune farms? (Serious question)

I want a chart that shows, by country by month, new covid cases per million population divided by the country's testing rate.  Where can I get this chart? It is what every person in the world should be referencing as the best possible view of each country's success n dealing with covid.

1 minute ago, Armybrat said:

Who owns the vast apartment blocks and all the former commune farms? (Serious question)

Not a purported collective of the people, that's for sure.  I mean, maybe the argument I'm missing is some sort of "all countries purporting to be Communist are really just pluto-kleptocratic dictatorships" If so, fair enough. I would argue the truth is that "all countries are really just plutocracies and/or kleptocracies," but that's a different debate.   

But "Communist" means a particular ideology, or at least the trappings of one.  Russia's not even pretending to be Communist the way China kind of is. 

26 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I want a chart that shows, by country by month, new covid cases per million population divided by the country's testing rate.  Where can I get this chart? It is what every person in the world should be referencing as the best possible view of each country's success n dealing with covid.

My yo sister just mass texted the family her Christmas list and my dad  responded with this screen grab from his all time favorite movie - Meme Guy

Edited by dcar00

48 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

https://covid19-country-overviews.ecdc.europa.eu/

the case trend is global

the actual positivity rate is available country by country for europe

Given our current spike in cases coming up before Dia de Los Muertos, and our Covid-19 leadership being so against anything Latino...it would appear that 2020, although a total asshole, is not without a sense of culturally Gregorian irony.  

Edited by Lobo

13 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:
18 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:
Oh good, Michael Bay has pumped out a movie based on the premise that covid will keep mutating into worse and worse strains, leading to four years of lockdown.

Now that is how I want to spend my escapism time. Looks so fun.

I figured somebody would make such a movie, just surprised it was Michael Bay.  Cut out all of the fancy CGI, adjust have it take place in apartments, and have feds showing up and hauling people off, and leave it at that.  Film it for under $10 million.

The reason we have so many hospitalizations is because we test for number of hospital beds.  It’s all square footage these days.  Ask Wang, he’ll tell ya’

My little sister (no pics) has it now in Amarillo. She and her son (12) have it. I’m worried about her as she has always had issues with asthma. She says so far it have been like a bad flu, but she probably has another week ahead of her before she is through it. She has no idea where she caught it, but did say the parts of Amarillo she lives and works in the mask usage is at best 50%.

8 hours ago, B00M said:

Was mask wearing political during the Spanish flu? I assume plenty of folks didn't wear them out of ignorance or whatever but did any politicians latch onto it?

Absolutely, there were posters and everything.

spacer.png

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/anti-mask-sentiment-goes-back-100-years-to-spanish-flu-pandemic/ar-BB17wkMx

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, Hate said:

My little sister (no pics) has it now in Amarillo. She and her son (12) have it. I’m worried about her as she has always had issues with asthma. She says so far it have been like a bad flu, but she probably has another week ahead of her before she is through it. She has no idea where she caught it, but did say the parts of Amarillo she lives and works in the mask usage is at best 50%.

Sorry to hear this man.  You got other shit to deal with, but text me when you can about how they're doing up there.  

She’s that ugly that nobody would take a picture of her? /surly

Best of luck to them. Keep us updated how it goes
  • Like 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away