Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

17 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

El Paso is at 100% ICU and hospital capacity.  How long until they start shipping people to San Antonio and elsewhere?  If not SA, where?  I keep thinking we will hear that the Texas National Guard is setting up tent hospitals, and in the meantime they are transferring non-covid adult patients to the children's hospital in El Paso.

Basically, they are setting up Aux Medical Units at hospicals (up to 100 additional beds per hospital) and a field hospital at the El Paso Convention Center (50 beds set up + 50 more if needed)

Abbott also said that 900 medical personnel have been sent to El Paso as well

From Monday: https://www.kxan.com/news/coronavirus/el-paso-setting-up-field-hospitals-as-facilities-fill-due-to-covid-19-surge/

Spoiler

El Paso setting up field hospitals as facilities fill due to COVID-19 surge

EL PASO, Texas (Border Report) – El Paso County has gone into an overnight lockdown and is setting up mobile hospitals, as the coronavirus situation continues to worsen.

The order issued Sunday night by County Judge Ricardo Samaniego directs people to stay in their homes from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m., except for essential reasons such as work or bona fide emergencies. Those violating the curfew will face fines of up to $500, Samaniego said.

Other fines include $250 for people not wearing face masks while out and about. “Enforcement will be a vital component,” Samaniego said. “We focused on education, we focused on compliance, but as you can see the numbers have not gone down.”

The order comes as hospital and intensive care unit beds reached 100% capacity on Sunday and 1,443 new COVID-19 infections were reported on Monday morning. The city has recorded 40,887 cases and 576 coronavirus-related fatalities since the pandemic began.

Hospitalizations reached a record high at 853, with 180 coronavirus patients under intensive care as of Monday, with 12,179 active cases, the Health Department reported.

“We are in a crisis state,” Samaniego said. “Funeral homes are preparing for a surge. We had 160% increase in our positivity rate since Oct. 1; over 300% in hospitalizations. Currently, our hospitals are stretched to capacity. All ICUs are at 100%. Active cases have exceeded capacity as well.”

Auxiliary medical units (AMUs) are being set up at local hospitals and one such field hospital is also up at the El Paso Convention Center to handle the surge. The AMUs will provide up to 100 additional beds per hospital.

On 10/25/2020 at 3:12 PM, Aqua Buddha said:

To be honest, poor and working class people don't want healthier food.  It's not a supply problem, it's demand.  Different chains and brands have given fresh and healthy food and cheap prices but those customers want Hot Pockets.  (Go into any Dollar General.)  

It’s because they’re addicted to sugar.   

lots to be concerned about, so i wanted to provide some good news. The Office of Science and Technology released a statement highlighting their achievements, including ending the Covid-19 pandemic. let's go ahead and lock this thread, mission accomplished folks. and great job everybody, it took a village but we beat it.

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

lots to be concerned about, so i wanted to provide some good news. The Office of Science and Technology released a statement highlighting their achievements, including ending the Covid-19 pandemic. let's go ahead and lock this thread, mission accomplished folks. and great job everybody, it took a village but we beat it.

spacer.png

This would've happened months ago if more people had simply drank their orange juice. 

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Omg it's over!

Danville GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

strong, decisive, principled leadership. an educated, informed populace willing to make sacrifices for the common good. truly a feel good story for the ages. 2020 is the year we faced our greatest challenge and rose to the occasion.

it feels good, man. 

• Like 1

I always loved that the Congressional attachment to the white House office of Science And technology for many years was Austin Rep. Lamar Smith.  A man who was deeply proud that his religion prohibited him from putting any serious trust In science, as a Christian Scientist.  

11 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

spacer.png

4640eb5e5f8bbe85e758ddae722ef55f.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:
  • 13,600 active cases
  • 854 new cases in El Paso reported Wednesday morning
  • 239 additional positive test results from the state
  • 908 patients are hospitalized.
  • 223 in the intensive care unit
  • 111 people are on ventilators.
  • Only three died yesterday, all underlying conditions and over the age of 60

Wonder what the % split is between actual locals and visitors from across the border.  Purely curiosity.  They should all receive treatment, of course.

8 minutes ago, Scary Stranger said:

Wonder what the % split is between actual locals and visitors from across the border.  Purely curiosity.  They should all receive treatment, of course.

It’s a pain in the ass to get over the bridges right now, much more restrictive than usual. Border town economies have really been hurting because of it lately. I imagine a very high % of the El Paso cases are locals.

9 minutes ago, Scary Stranger said:

Not 100% sure how Texas reports them but my understanding is that it is based on county of residency (so if live in Bexar and go get tested in Travis Co you count against Bexar Co)

Depends on the source, but if those #s are from the DSHS Texas COVID dashboard, then I think folks living elsewhere wouldn't be included in those counts?

16 minutes ago, Scary Stranger said:

No link but I read over the wknd that about 1/4 of infections report they believe they contracted it in Juárez. I'm sure any Juarenses who need admittance to a hospital and have the means to do so in EP will.

12 minutes ago, Helobious said:

It’s a pain in the ass to get over the bridges right now, much more restrictive than usual. Border town economies have really been hurting because of it lately. I imagine a very high % of the El Paso cases are locals.

While this is true I have 3 co-workers that, somehow, commute daily.

edit: coworkers say the Juárez hospitals filled up about 10-14 days ago.

Edited by GringoSalado

22 minutes ago, Helobious said:

It was happening back in May....so why should it be any different now?

36 minutes ago, Scary Stranger said:

A little of this, a little of that.  Juarez is full and already shutting down a lot of stuff.  EP have their bar problem, family gatherings, shopping, large church gatherings, etc.

Local TV station pointed this out:

https://kvia.com/news/business-technology/2020/10/26/el-paso-event-venue-continues-to-hold-large-gatherings-contends-its-not-breaking-the-law/

On Monday evening, cars packed the parking lot at the Grace Gardens event center.

Over the weekend, Grace Gardens also held a Quinceañera with more than 100 people in attendance.

Managing owner Sandra Rodriguez told ABC-7 they are in compliance and are not breaking any rules when it comes to holding events.

"We are a private venue and we've had law enforcement come out here the past month or so for every event we've had," Rodriguez said.

The venue can hold 500 people and Rodriguez said about 100 people were in attendance during the Quinceañera.

Rodriguez told ABC-7 that they've never been told to shut down.

"They've (law enforcement) inspected our facility, they've inspected during the events or even after the events and we've been in 100 percent compliance," she maintained.

During the event Monday, a security guard walked around the parking lot making sure guests had a mask before they entered.

They have not been told to shut down, and the venue is asking other events planned for this week and next to move them back because of covid, but I'm honestly surprised, given that the city is under curfew at night, that they aren't closing places like this, even if these places are checking temps, enforcing masks, sanitizer, etc.  And my gut says they will be closed very quickly.

And I don't mean to single that one out - apparently this is happening all over and they have been compliant.

Edited by atomheartbevo

31 minutes ago, GringoSalado said:

While this is true I have 3 co-workers that, somehow, commute daily.

edit: coworkers say the Juárez hospitals filled up about 10-14 days ago.

You can cross everyday if you show that it’s essential for work. I think they’re restricting the day visitors though, if they’re even letting them  through 

43 minutes ago, NoName said:

Depends on the source, but if those #s are from the DSHS Texas COVID dashboard, then I think folks living elsewhere wouldn't be included in those counts?

For the most part if they can determine county of residence. Hospital numbers do not take county into account unless the county breaks that out in local reporting.

Sounds like El Paso was primed by unhealthy people and their friends and relatives behaving badly.

Didn't believe the clips I saw browsing my phone earlier.  So back at office, went to White House Office of Science & Technology website directly.  Saw that they ended the Covid-19 Pandemic.  

So I walked downstairs, out into the streets of Austin, grabbed the first Nurse in uniform I saw and kissed her as passionately as I could, VJ style.  Turns out she was just heading to an early Halloween party and I'm up on sexual assault charges.  But it doesn't matter, we beat the Pandemic!  

Some poor shithead in the OST press office is about to be on Kayleigh's shit-list.  And that shit-list is going behind binder tab #37!  

It is the culture there.   They are very social, have multi-generational housing, attend Mass regularly, and love neighborhood cookouts.  By and large, the older population is very unhealthy.

All of my employees there have tested positive some time this year.  None had anything over a couple days of feeling not so good and all worked from home until they tested negative.  

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/28/politics/white-house-coronavirus-task-force-reports/index.html

The White House coronavirus task force's weekly state reports released to states on Tuesday and obtained by CNN show maps of critically, startlingly high numbers of new cases in the center of the United States, with some relief on the East and West Coasts.

"We continue to see unrelenting, broad community spread in the Midwest, Upper Midwest and West. This will require aggressive mitigation to control both the silent, asymptomatic spread and symptomatic spread," one state's report said, calling for intensified mitigation measures, including masks, social distancing, avoiding crowds in public and smaller gatherings in private.

The changing weather is a major factor, the task force reports said, as "friends and families are moving social gatherings indoors, significantly increasing spread."

North Dakota has the most new cases per 100,000 population this week. The states in the top 10 for new cases per 100,000 population are largely in the central and northern US: South Dakota, followed by Montana, Wisconsin, Idaho, Wyoming, Utah, Nebraska, Tennessee and Iowa.

spacer.png

As October 31 approaches, the task force also warned several states that there should be preparations to "ensure all residents are aware of the potential for viral spread during Halloween gatherings."

The task force expressed concern with "early signs of deterioration in the Sunbelt" and "expanding community spread" in Alabama, New Mexico, Louisiana and Georgia amid decreasing mitigation efforts.

In Idaho, where cases are surging and there is still not a statewide mask mandate, the task force recommended "statewide policies for mitigation efforts," to include limits on occupancy, use of face coverings and strict social distancing.

2 hours ago, Helobious said:

You can cross everyday if you show that it’s essential for work. I think they’re restricting the day visitors though, if they’re even letting them  through 

As is typical on the border there are myriad ways to get across, one is to fake an invoice for an item or part that needs to cross.

At any rate while the traffic is def. a fraction of its pre-covid levels, there is still a lot of traffic at the NM port as I commute that way (but not into MX) regularly.

I will say that, if you want a Mexican coke, you pretty much have to go to Sam's. Fucking bullshit.

2 hours ago, Newdoc said:

For the most part if they can determine county of residence. Hospital numbers do not take county into account unless the county breaks that out in local reporting.

Sounds like El Paso was primed by unhealthy people and their friends and relatives behaving badly.

As pointed out upthread the Hispanic/Mexican culture doesn't lend itself to social distancing. Most infections I know are Hispanic, of course most people I know are Hispanic, but I have 3 acquaintances where the whole extended family got it in a short time but spread over half-dozen households & etc.

17 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Sorry, yes, State of Texas appealing it.  Sounded like the court agreed going maskless makes it risky on certain demographics.  It's probably being discussed in the CR thread.

It's not really partisan.   1) Why the fuck aren't people donning el masko? 2) are los maskos available at the polls?( they were at mine, but I had my own)

Edited by slorch

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away