Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

4 hours ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

Thankfully we do seem to be better at treating it now, but I still worry about overrunning hospitals this winter if we can't keep up with some level of distancing and avoiding large indoor gatherings.

This winter?  How about now?  Wisconsin is starting to admit people to their field hospitals.  Utah is starting to ration hospital space, and Ye Olde Death Panels are rearing their ugly heads as they look at who they are going to treat with ICU beds running low.  

El Paso has jumped something like 150% in positivity rates this month, and over 250% in hospitalizations, and I saw a video clip of their county judge saying all hospitals and ICUs had hit 100% capacity.

El Paso, while they maybe closer to California than Houston, is still within the state, and could be a bit of a canary in the coal mine for Texas.

For those bitching about bars, yeah, the college bars are a serious problems, but let's hold our horses on the more quiet beer & wine bars (although I have a hard time considering a bar to be a bar if it serves wine).  I've got a sidepiece whose hubby is in his mid-30s, and occasionally he will hit up one of those beer & wine bars to hang out with his brothers, and all she has to do is find a babysitter and *boom* we've got an hour or two to ourselves.  Unfortunately, he doesn't hit those bars often enough.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

Texas is at 80% ICU capacity again.  Somebody here over the summer was giving a good breakdown of how ICU capacity was a moving number because many hospitals were converting spaces to ICU due to demand (so 80% of current capacity would probably mean something close to 100% of traditional capacity).  I suspect they probably reverted some of those back to regular beds after things leveled off in August; but I bet are once again ramping up conversion given this new wave.  

El Paso is at 100% ICU and hospital capacity.  How long until they start shipping people to San Antonio and elsewhere?  If not SA, where?  I keep thinking we will hear that the Texas National Guard is setting up tent hospitals, and in the meantime they are transferring non-covid adult patients to the children's hospital in El Paso.

I've got a sidepiece whose hubby is in his mid-30s, and occasionally he will hit up one of those beer & wine bars to hang out with his brothers, and all she has to do is find a babysitter and *boom* we've got an hour or two to ourselves.  Unfortunately, he doesn't hit those bars often enough.

COVID schmovid...we need to hear more about this side piece.
  • Haha 1

What do the kids tell the dad about what they did with the babysitter that causes the husband not to catch on to the fact his wife is conveniently gone every time he goes the bar?  

between taking the risks of bar hopping with his people he’s known his whole life and not catching on to his wife’s sketchy pattern of being gone when he’s gone...sounds like the dumbass deserves atom banging his wife. But we’ll need pics to be sure.  

32 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I've got a sidepiece whose hubby is in his mid-30s, and occasionally he will hit up one of those beer & wine bars to hang out with his brothers, and all she has to do is find a babysitter and *boom* we've got an hour or two to ourselves.  Unfortunately, he doesn't hit those bars often enough.

unsure james franco GIF

• Like 1

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

El Paso is at 100% ICU and hospital capacity.  How long until they start shipping people to San Antonio and elsewhere?  If not SA, where?  I keep thinking we will hear that the Texas National Guard is setting up tent hospitals, and in the meantime they are transferring non-covid adult patients to the children's hospital in El Paso.

I’d say Juarez but my guess is that Mexico is feverishly building an impenetrable border wall. 

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

For those bitching about bars, yeah, the college bars are a serious problems, but let's hold our horses on the more quiet beer & wine bars (although I have a hard time considering a bar to be a bar if it serves wine).  I've got a sidepiece whose hubby is in his mid-30s, and occasionally he will hit up one of those beer & wine bars to hang out with his brothers, and all she has to do is find a babysitter and *boom* we've got an hour or two to ourselves.  Unfortunately, he doesn't hit those bars often enough.

deleted

Edited by babysdaddy
no judgement

55 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Article says wales is imposing  a 17 day lockdown as a result. I take it you disagree with that since as we all know the pandemic is in fact done and over with. Right?

So convenient to play your own narrative, eh?

I actually believe there is a metric crapton of political capital available in this event.   It ain’t ending anytime soon...

Motherfuckers like you lap it up.

I actually posted useful links and you still take shots.   Typical...

Edited by slorch

3 minutes ago, slorch said:

So convenient to play your own narrative, eh?

I actually believe there is a metric crapton of political capital available in this event.   It ain’t ending anytime soon...

Motherfuckers like you lap it up.

I actually posted useful links and you still take shots.   Typical...

I have no idea what you just said or are trying to say. 

So I’m gonna take that as a sign of disrespect.

Watch ya mouth.

6 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

How long until they start shipping people to San Antonio and elsewhere?

Already are. They’re trying to bring them into Central Texas too.

4 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I’d say Juarez but my guess is that Mexico is feverishly building an impenetrable border wall. 

And that is also part of the problem.

And it’s difficult to extrapolate our US figures and say we are going to do worse as a whole due to this surge. Many of the hotspots weren’t hit originally. See our midwest states and southern Italy for example. The rest of Texas isn’t looking like El Paso yet. There maybe some herd immunity effect in our other large cities that were hit hard over the summer.

The only decent play I can see is to hold out with common sense measures until a vaccine is available and effective. And that’s if you don’t tank your economy and society in the meantime.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

El Paso has two days running of over 1,400 cases.  They are setting up tent hospitals.

And Juarez is pretty fucked as well.   Sending in the military and setting up mobile hospitals, turning gymnasiums into hospitals, etc.

https://apnews.com/article/business-virus-outbreak-family-gatherings-north-america-mexico-e066bb7aaf4ad1c2417254c24c0e835c

20 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Just saw that.  Also trying to send some to New Mexico.

Surprised this is not getting more play in the national or state news.

Newdoc, is the state deploying resources out there?

Oh good, bc Albuquerque isn't having to deal with the Navajo Nation and all the fun it has provided. I'm guessing they could just drop people off at the ER in Hobbs and hope they don't get stabbed walking in.

7 hours ago, Lobo said:

What do the kids tell the dad about what they did with the babysitter that causes the husband not to catch on to the fact his wife is conveniently gone every time he goes the bar?  

between taking the risks of bar hopping with his people he’s known his whole life and not catching on to his wife’s sketchy pattern of being gone when he’s gone...sounds like the dumbass deserves atom banging his wife. But we’ll need pics to be sure.  

And for all the talk by atomheart regarding the risk of spreading COVID, he fucks a married woman with kids who are probably going to a school with other kids who could have COVID and whose husband is going to bars and picking up random viruses including COVID and bringing them home. Shaking my head...

37 minutes ago, Bevo said:

And for all the talk by atomheart regarding the risk of spreading COVID, he fucks a married woman with kids who are probably going to a school with other kids who could have COVID and whose husband is going to bars and picking up random viruses including COVID and bringing them home. Shaking my head...

8 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

On 10/26/2020 at 7:28 PM, Okie State said:

I don't even go to bars. I was really just being a smartass.

I take that back, I occasionally go to bars with my wife or brothers when I'm able to ditch the kids for the night. I'm 36 though so the kind of bars I like are quiet beer/wine bars where I go to have a few drinks and bullshit with my wife or brothers. Not exactly the college bar scene.

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 5

And that is also part of the problem.
And it’s difficult to extrapolate our US figures and say we are going to do worse as a whole due to this surge. Many of the hotspots weren’t hit originally. See our midwest states and southern Italy for example. The rest of Texas isn’t looking like El Paso yet. There maybe some herd immunity effect in our other large cities that were hit hard over the summer.
The only decent play I can see is to hold out with common sense measures until a vaccine is available and effective. And that’s if you don’t tank your economy and society in the meantime.

This is the only end game. Continued roller coaster until a vaccine is widely available. And trying to keep things limping along till then.

This is a fair amount like being at war. It will end when it ends. And until then, you just endure. This is a year to be endured, that’s it.

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Just saw that.  Also trying to send some to New Mexico.

Surprised this is not getting more play in the national or state news.

Newdoc, is the state deploying resources out there?

Why New Mexico? Is meth the cure?

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Why New Mexico? Is meth the cure?

Because it's right there.

Things are not going well.'

https://www.elpasotimes.com/story/news/health/2020/10/27/el-paso-covid-19-hospitalizations-near-900-fort-bliss-sets-curfew/3747326001/

The number of people hospitalized in El Paso for COVID-19 neared 900 on Tuesday as the number of new infections continued to jump.

COVID-19 testing sites remained open during a rare snow before Halloween fell in El Paso, the earliest recorded measurable snowfall at this time of year. The previous record was a snowfall on Oct. 28, 1980.

Virus infection spikes also are occurring in neighboring Las Cruces and Juárez, which on Tuesday tallied an additional 25 deaths. 

Coronavirus cases have surged across the state of Chihuahua with the largest flare in Juárez.

On Tuesday, Chihuahua public health authorities reported that a general hospital in Juárez and two hospitals in Chihuahua City were at 100% capacity and that seven other hospitals in the state had surpassed 80% capacity.

Fuck me sideways

The El Paso County outbreak is larger than previously believed, with data amended with delayed case numbers showing a staggering 6,499 new infections last week.

There were more than 4,170 cases the week of Oct. 11-17 and just over 3,000 cases the week of Oct. 4-10, according to updated data released Tuesday.

And San Antonio is taking EP patients

San Antonio hospitals on Monday began receiving intensive-care unit patients flown from El Paso, the San Antonio Express-News reported. Bexar County, which includes San Antonio, had 151 new COVID-19 cases reported Monday. 

Other cities are helping - Humble, Chambers County, Cypress-Fairbanks, Houston.  And those are tents that were sent in for patients.

spacer.png

2 hours ago, Bevo said:

Undefeated  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Bevo said:

Little slow on the uptake there.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away