Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

34 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

My kid plays select soccer, and it is amazing how many fat parents there are.  Austin is not so bad at all, but Houston and San Antonio tournaments are full of fattys.  And some of the players are fat at 13.  How the heck can you be 13, practice 2-3 times a week and run for 80 minutes on the weekend and be fat?  (I know diet).  Small towns are the worst. My son likes to play count the non obese people at Heb in Victoria, or Port Lavaca -its rare to hit double digits of non obese people, just shocking really.

username checks out.

48 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Holy shit, I just realized that the "fat" people in the 80s and 90s, weren't that fat compared to the 2000s.

That's for sure.

But I'll say this about the global trends-- my first several trips to Europe 25 years ago, just a bout everybody was skinny.  Now when I go, I see a lot of fatties.  Not 'murica fat, not yet, but well on their way.  

In completely unrelated news, you can now find McDonald's and Pizza Hut all over Europe.

4 hours ago, DFWTexEx said:

How?

From Idaho, where all mitigation has been left to local officials:

The hospital in Coeur d’Alene reached 99% capacity a day earlier, even after doubling up patients in rooms and buying more hospital beds. Idaho is one of several states where a surge of COVID-19 infections is overwhelming hospitals, likely in part because cooler weather is sending people indoors, U.S. health officials said

“We’re facing staff shortages, and we have a lot of physician fatigue. This has been going on for seven months — we’re tired,” Lee said. He introduced several doctors who testified about the struggle COVID-19 patients face, the burden on hospitals and how masks reduce the spread of the virus.

But the board voted 4-3 to end the mask mandate. Board members overseeing the operations of Idaho’s public health districts are appointed by county commissioners and not required to have any medical experience.

Board member Walt Kirby said he was giving up on the idea of controlling the spread of coronavirus.

I personally do not care whether anybody wears a mask or not. If they want to be dumb enough to walk around and expose themselves and others, that’s fine with me,” Kirby said. “Nobody’s wearing the damned mask anyway. ... I’m sitting back and watching them catch it and die. Hopefully I’ll live through it.”

Another member, Allen Banks, denied COVID-19 exists.

“Something’s making these people sick, and I’m pretty sure that it’s not coronavirus, so the question that you should be asking is, ‘What’s making them sick?’” he told the medical professionals who testified.

link?  reads like the onion

20 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

The primary US export is shitty food.

Terrible take. Not even close. Have you heard of Hanson?  Justin Bieber?  Nicki Minaj?  Terrible music is our number 1. A t least the spice girls aren’t ours. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

Terrible take. Not even close. Have you heard of Hanson?  Justin Bieber?  Nicki Minaj?  Terrible music is our number 1. A t least the spice girls aren’t ours. 

Isn't Justin Bieber Canadian?

Edited by Catpfish
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Born to Run said:

My kid plays select soccer, and it is amazing how many fat parents there are.  Austin is not so bad at all, but Houston and San Antonio tournaments are full of fattys.  And some of the players are fat at 13.  How the heck can you be 13, practice 2-3 times a week and run for 80 minutes on the weekend and be fat?  (I know diet).  Small towns are the worst. My son likes to play count the non obese people at Heb in Victoria, or Port Lavaca -its rare to hit double digits of non obese people, just shocking really.

We played some lonestar teams a few weeks ago and they had this girl that looked like a straight up high school linebacker. No touch, no footwork, but could kick the ball the length of the field (typically well off target). Scanning the side line was pretty easy to figure out who the parents were.  

1 hour ago, Catpfish said:

Isn't Justin Bieber Canadian?

1 hour ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Forget it man, he's rolling.

Is he?  If I screwed up, so be it.  But you should feel ashamed for even knowing that.  You got a poster of him up on your wall or something?

So we had more than 80,000 new cases.  Shit.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/23/health/us-coronavirus-friday/index.html

Friday's case count of at least 80,005 surpasses the country's previous one-day high of 77,362, reported July 16, according to Johns Hopkins University.

US Surgeon General Dr. Jerome Adams cautioned earlier Friday that hospitalizations are starting to go up in 75% of the jurisdictions across the country, and officials are concerned that in a few weeks, deaths will also start to increase.

But mortality rate has decreased.

The good news, Adams said, is that the country's Covid-19 mortality rate has decreased by about 85% thanks to multiple factors, including the use of remdesivir, steroids and better management of patients.

More than 41,000 Covid-19 patients were in hospitals across the country Thursday, according to the Covid Tracking Project. This is the highest level of nationwide coronavirus hospitalizations since August 20.

18 hours ago, Born to Run said:

The thing that immediately sticks out to me when I come back to Texas is the number of fat people. Just a really unhealthy population.

5 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
2 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:
Actually, Manhattan did a hell of a lot better than Queens, Brooklyn, and the Bronx.

More money to be able to stay inside and send others to fetch their groceries, booze, etc.

Fewer (none?) old folks homes taking up real estate in manhattan. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, utee94 said:

In completely unrelated news, you can now find McDonald's and Pizza Hut all over Europe.

During my first ever trip to Europe in 2002, we took a day trip across a few towns in the English countryside. We stopped at Stratford-on-Avon, the picturesque town of William Shakespeare’s birth, and started with a great tour of the museum at his home. It was beautiful. 

And then we strolled to the town center, and I saw a Pizza Hut and KFC. I couldn’t fucking believe it at the time.

During my first ever trip to Europe in 2002, we took a day trip across a few towns in the English countryside. We stopped at Stratford-on-Avon, the picturesque town of William Shakespeare’s birth, and started with a great tour of the museum at his home. It was beautiful. 
And then we strolled to the town center, and I saw a Pizza Hut and KFC. I couldn’t fucking believe it at the time.

What did you order?
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Recovery kit for colonoscopy.

Sadly, most of your plan makes perfect sense to me.  Except the K-Y warming liquid.  I hate to ask such personal questions on a site where I appreciate we're all actually just playing make believe.  But yeah, I'm afraid I'm gonna have to ask what that's for my friend?  

Let's be honest.  Obesity is also a class issue.  Poor, working class, and small town people are fat while upscale demos are fairly slim and healthy.  It's both diet and exercise.  I'm in Big Food and those first demos eat like ass.  They'll also watch TV all day and night.

I lived in San Antonio (Alamo Heights) for five years.  09 was fairly healthy and I'd always be surprised how unbelievably fat SA was when I got out of the 09 bubble.

As for COVID, Italy having big outbreaks again.  You'd think everyone there had it back in March but I guess not.

4 hours ago, Armybrat said:

For post-procedure activities with Mrs. Brat of course. 

So you got the colonoscopy...you both split the box of wine...and she gets it in the ass afterwards?

I completely understand, in a zen way, the secretive balance to your long-lasting marriage.  Sometimes the universe does actually make sense to me.  Thank you, Ciensei.

Edited by Lobo

3 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Let's be honest.  Obesity is also a class issue.  Poor, working class, and small town people are fat while upscale demos are fairly slim and healthy.  It's both diet and exercise.  I'm in Big Food and those first demos eat like ass.  They'll also watch TV all day and night.

Agree. Food deserts have plenty of high calorie/low cost junk food and little that is nutritious. It's an American problem spreading across the industrial world.

• Food deserts can be hazardous to your health. Living in a food desert matters a lot when it comes to a pair of serious public health issues: obesity and diabetes. As we’ve written before,these problems vary across communities, and the data show that they’re clearly related to the prevalence of food deserts.
  • Nationally, according to U.S. Department of Agriculture data, counties with the highest percentage of households living in food deserts (10 percent or more) had rates of adult obesity in 2008 that were a full nine percentage points higher than counties with the lowest percentage of households in food deserts (1 percent or fewer households).
  • Similarly, high-food desert counties had rates of adult diabetes that were five points higher than low-food desert places.
  • Surely, these differences reflect the particular characteristics of counties in which more people live in food deserts. Diabetes, for example, is related to poverty and unemployment, not simply to proximity to a supermarket. However, the relationship between food deserts and these health outcomes remains, even after we control for counties’ median household income, poverty rates, and the racial and ethnic make-up of the population. 
  • Food deserts also contribute significantly to obesity among low-income preschool children. All of which is to say, living in a food desert is not incidental, it has an independent effect on obesity and diabetes. Food deserts matter for public health.
  • Why should this be the case? It has to do with how people living in food deserts fill in the gaps in their diet. Counties with high rates of food deserts also tend to have higher per capita expenditure at fast food restaurants. (Among full service restaurants, the pattern is reversed: there is more per-capita spending in places with fewer food deserts.) This suggests that people in food deserts may be substituting less nutritious fast food for the produce and other fresh food they have only limited access to.
  • There is also the question of what’s available. Healthy – and expensive – supermarket chains and specialty stores aren’t itching to get food desert communities that are generally poorer than average.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/arts/the-socio-economic-significance-of-food-deserts

Poverty causes disease and illness in the US.

https://www.aafp.org/about/policies/all/poverty-health.html

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Obesity is an incredibly complex process and the variables that play into it are mind boggling (bottling). Y’all make some good points but it’s going to take a hard, substantial, multidisciplinary national effort to reel this problem back in.  And yes, we have to get big food out of our government (no CR).

• Hook 'Em 3

18 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

Agree. Food deserts have plenty of high calorie/low cost junk food and little that is nutritious. It's an American problem spreading across the industrial world.

• Food deserts can be hazardous to your health. Living in a food desert matters a lot when it comes to a pair of serious public health issues: obesity and diabetes. As we’ve written before,these problems vary across communities, and the data show that they’re clearly related to the prevalence of food deserts.
  • Nationally, according to U.S. Department of Agriculture data, counties with the highest percentage of households living in food deserts (10 percent or more) had rates of adult obesity in 2008 that were a full nine percentage points higher than counties with the lowest percentage of households in food deserts (1 percent or fewer households).
  • Similarly, high-food desert counties had rates of adult diabetes that were five points higher than low-food desert places.
  • Surely, these differences reflect the particular characteristics of counties in which more people live in food deserts. Diabetes, for example, is related to poverty and unemployment, not simply to proximity to a supermarket. However, the relationship between food deserts and these health outcomes remains, even after we control for counties’ median household income, poverty rates, and the racial and ethnic make-up of the population. 
  • Food deserts also contribute significantly to obesity among low-income preschool children. All of which is to say, living in a food desert is not incidental, it has an independent effect on obesity and diabetes. Food deserts matter for public health.
  • Why should this be the case? It has to do with how people living in food deserts fill in the gaps in their diet. Counties with high rates of food deserts also tend to have higher per capita expenditure at fast food restaurants. (Among full service restaurants, the pattern is reversed: there is more per-capita spending in places with fewer food deserts.) This suggests that people in food deserts may be substituting less nutritious fast food for the produce and other fresh food they have only limited access to.
  • There is also the question of what’s available. Healthy – and expensive – supermarket chains and specialty stores aren’t itching to get food desert communities that are generally poorer than average.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/arts/the-socio-economic-significance-of-food-deserts

Poverty causes disease and illness in the US.

https://www.aafp.org/about/policies/all/poverty-health.html

To be honest, poor and working class people don't want healthier food.  It's not a supply problem, it's demand.  Different chains and brands have given fresh and healthy food and cheap prices but those customers want Hot Pockets.  (Go into any Dollar General.)  

On 10/24/2020 at 12:25 AM, atomheartbevo said:

So we had more than 80,000 new cases.  Shit.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/23/health/us-coronavirus-friday/index.html

But mortality rate has decreased.

63,000 new cases today on a freaking Sunday.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/national/coronavirus-us-cases-deaths/?itid=sf_coronavirus

3 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

To be honest, poor and working class people don't want healthier food.  It's not a supply problem, it's demand.  Different chains and brands have given fresh and healthy food and cheap prices but those customers want Hot Pockets.  (Go into any Dollar General.)  

Yeah, I’m going to need your research on this Lou

2 hours ago, J.R. Juniors Junior Jr. said:

spacer.png

The answer is obviously, we need to stop reporting these numbers to a centralized system, that can then distribute said numbers, because then the numbers wouldn't be so high!

And older relatives in Oklahoma are actually starting to get nervous.  As in many of them know somebody that has it, or had it recently, and it's not the same 3-4 people they all know.  I need to look at those numbers, because it sounds like it's turning into a little hotspot.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away