Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Its still amazing to me that N95s are available to everyone now, and people are still opting for masks that only block 20-40% of particles

Why anyone wouldnt wear an N95 at this point is kinda silly

I bought that Envomask N95 that you recommended when all of this shit started. You can only wear that bastard for about twenty minutes before pulling it off to keep from passing out, that's if you are just sitting there. Heaven forbid you actually try to do anything more strenuous than grocery shopping.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

I bought that Envomask N95 that you recommended when all of this shit started. You can only wear that bastard for about twenty minutes before pulling it off to keep from passing out, that's if you are just sitting there. Heaven forbid you actually try to do anything more strenuous than grocery shopping.

CHIEF

Funny, ive been wearing it 6-12 hours a day since march with no problems. Got my 2nd one in two weeks ago because my first one started to crack. 

my wife has had no problems with hers. The other 200 or so people I work with that have envomasks also have had no problems

just a tip, you dont have to tighten envomask. Because its a silicone-to-face seal, you just have to essentially have it flush with your face, not tight. As long as the filter moves in and out when you breathe, youre fine

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Funny, ive been wearing it 6-12 hours a day since march with no problems. Got my 2nd one in two weeks ago because my first one started to crack. 

my wife has had no problems with hers. The other 200 or so people I work with that have envomasks also have had no problems

just a tip, you dont have to tighten envomask. Because its a silicone-to-face seal, you just have to essentially have it flush with your face, not tight. As long as the filter moves in and out when you breathe, youre fine

Probably my problem, but I have strong ears.

CHIEF

2 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Its still amazing to me that N95s are available to everyone now, and people are still opting for masks that only block 20-40% of particles

Why anyone wouldnt wear an N95 at this point is kinda silly

Where are N95s available for ordering?

38 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

CHIEF

Any recommendations on where I can pick up one of these without getting gouged?  I am heading out to the west coast in two weeks and will have several hours where I'll not be able to social distance (on plane, changing planes, and 2 hour drive each way).

On 10/20/2020 at 3:00 PM, Jhawk said:

So stay at home and don't ever leave is the solution?  Amazon and Walmart being the only thing open is the solution?  Shutter anyone who the powers that be determine is "unessential" is the solution?  Look at domestic abuse, suicide, and drug/alcohol abuse rates.  Mental health is bad too among the "healthy".  Because the oldest demographic in the country is at risk we all have to suffer.

Quarantine is for the sick, not the healthy.

How are we still having this conversation? Everyone with an IQ over 75 knows the basic concepts of the solution. We would need to get the case number down to a sufficiently low level that a real test and trace system could be used to identify and isolate people who have it as soon as possible. If case number is low enough and we have a good testing system, we could identify cases before they infect too many people, we could trace who they've been in contact with, and we could isolate everyone who is sick. We didn't do any of this. Sure a bunch of states bought a ton of tests and private companies started offering tests, and some states made some completely inadequate attempts at tracing, but we never had anything remotely resembling an actual coordinated nationwide effort.

There were numerous different proposals about how to test, how many to test, who to test, etc., but the basic concept was always the same. It would be hard to do it well, but the problem would be resources and logistics, not rocket science.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

How are we still having this conversation? Everyone with an IQ over 75 knows the basic concepts of the solution. We would need to get the case number down to a sufficiently low level that a real test and trace system could be used to identify and isolate people who have it as soon as possible. If case number is low enough and we have a good testing system, we could identify cases before they infect too many people, we could trace who they've been in contact with, and we could isolate everyone who is sick. We didn't do any of this. Sure a bunch of states bought a ton of tests and private companies started offering tests, and some states made some completely inadequate attempts at tracing, but we never had anything remotely resembling an actual coordinated nationwide effort.
There were numerous different proposals about how to test, how many to test, who to test, etc., but the basic concept was always the same. It would be hard to do it well, but the problem would be resources and logistics, not rocket science.

Is there a single country with over 25MM people that has successfully done this?

What’s a “sufficiently low level”? How long?

Just now, HoustonFrog said:

Is there a single country with over 25MM people that has successfully done this?

What’s a “sufficiently low level”? How long?

Nearly every country with a population over 25MM people has done a much better job than we have.

I can’t answer your other questions because I’m not remotely an expert and there is no one right answer, but there were a bunch of proposals being made by people who are in March/April and any of them would’ve been way better than what we’ve done.

16 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

Do you need this?

hqdefault.jpg

I dunno, but Chief literally used the expression "I Have Strong Ears" 

I have been around the world twice and met everybody once and I have never, ever heard that phrase.  

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess he's thinking about the roughly 210,000 deaths in less than 10 months.

UK, Spain, Italy have similar rates. France isn’t far behind. Germany is the strange outlier there. Brazil and the rest of SAmerica is similar.

I don’t think we did a good job, but it’s not as absurd as people have made it out to be.
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Lobo said:

What do you mean by similar rates?  Deaths per 1mm people?  If that's the metric you're going with...

Ummm....yeah.....out of 150 countries measured, we are #9 in deaths per capita (673 per million).  The only European country worse is Spain, and we've got the UK nipping at our heels.  Italy comes in at 13, and then you drop below 600 deaths per million to get to Sweden (let's do it like Sweden!) at 15 and then France at 16 with 499 per million.  And then it drops off.  By the time we get to South Africa at 24, they have less than HALF of our per capita deaths at 322.

So, yeah.....we're near the head of the class for shitty results.  Canada, Switzerland, Portugal, Norway, Germany, Denmark, Austria, and a crapload more -- all are kicking our ass.

17 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Ummm....yeah.....out of 150 countries measured, we are #9 in deaths per capita (673 per million).  The only European country worse is Spain, and we've got the UK nipping at our heels.  Italy comes in at 13, and then you drop below 600 deaths per million to get to Sweden (let's do it like Sweden!) at 15 and then France at 16 with 499 per million.  And then it drops off.  By the time we get to South Africa at 24, they have less than HALF of our per capita deaths at 322.

So, yeah.....we're near the head of the class for shitty results.  Canada, Switzerland, Portugal, Norway, Germany, Denmark, Austria, and a crapload more -- all are kicking our ass.

For Brazil they just went into pure denial mode and acted like Trump on steroids.

For the US it boils down to fact that we have a nation full of fatasses. We lead the world in Type 2 diabetes and a pretty much trying to build a world like in "Wall-E" where everyone rolls around on their electric scooters stuffing their faces.

If the US could get off the couch and get on a treadmill every now and then our deaths would drop dramatically. Add in fact that ~25% of all deaths are from nursing homes where we stack old people like cordwood and it's no shock that the US is a world beater in terms of deaths from this fucking virus.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

ok, but now do this and don't include islands.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

For Brazil they just went into pure denial mode and acted like Trump on steroids.

For the US it boils down to fact that we have a nation full of fatasses. We lead the world in Type 2 diabetes and a pretty much trying to build a world like in "Wall-E" where everyone rolls around on their electric scooters stuffing their faces.

If the US could get off the couch and get on a treadmill every now and then our deaths would drop dramatically.

This to me, was the biggest wasted opportunity that nobody seemed to want to address.  A window to address lifestyle, diet, and exercise and the impact on your overall health.  Fat fucks.  Get off the goddamn couch 

1 minute ago, BabaYaga said:

This to me, was the biggest wasted opportunity that nobody seemed to want to address.  A window to address lifestyle, diet, and exercise and the impact on your overall health.  Fat fucks.  Get off the goddamn couch 

Yep - no one wants to address the elephant in the room (pun not intended) that the US overall just has a massively obese population. Instead people rail around "fat shaming" and try to brush off all of the associated risk factors of obesity as being a "healthy lifestyle"

The virus is seizing targets of opportunity. If you are laboring just walking up a flight of stairs and you in turn catch a respiratory illness you may well be fucked.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

Yep - no one wants to address the elephant in the room (pun not intended) that the US overall just has a massively obese population. Instead people rail around "fat shaming" and try to brush off all of the associated risk factors of obesity as being a "healthy lifestyle"

The virus is seizing targets of opportunity. If you are laboring just walking up a flight of stairs and you in turn catch a respiratory illness you may well be fucked.

We need fat women on SI.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

Fat shaming works.  You are killing your body.  It's one of the few things in your life you have complete and total control over (other than your attitude).  Quit eating processed and refined bullshit and move your each day.  It's not easy, but it's not all that complicated either.  

How the hell did the US get back above 1,100 deaths a day?

And North Dakota is having to shift their National Guard from contact-tracing to notifying the people who are actually infected, because they are "overwhelmed". How can they be "overwhelmed", they have less people than Fort Worth.

2020 has decided it's going to goat-fuck us on the way out the door.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away