Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

I don’t know if buy the darkest period scare language. Yes it will increase because winter means more time spent indoors but i think we know how to treat it better than March and it will all depend on if people wear mask and stop having large orgy get togethers 

I don’t know if buy the darkest period scare language. Yes it will increase because winter means more time spent indoors but i think we know how to treat it better than March and it will all depend on if people wear mask and stop having large orgy get togethers 

So....it will depend on people making good decisions.

Yeah, dude....dark times are a lock.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Hmbre97 said:

Can we still making fun of the usual suspects in this thread that want to downplay it, then get slapped down with facts and news? 

BTW, who knew 450k fat anti-masker bikers converging into one town, then going back to their respective homes would have been an issue...

covid.png

What was that, 3 months ago?    

1 minute ago, Hmbre97 said:

Do you not know how to google and/or do math?

Ahhh.   2 months ago.  My bad. Time seems to take forever in 2020.   I honestly haven’t been paying attention to much the past 3 weeks either.  Got other shit going on that’s slightly more important than trying to gotcha people about an event that happened 2+ months ago.  

• Like 1

You know I was thinking about the anti-mask crowd, and I was wondering to myself "Who the fuck are these people? What kind of mentality do you have to have in your normal life to be one of these folk? Have these people always been around?" 

Then I remembered all the times I've gone to a public restroom and seen a turd slumped over the lip of a urinal. These are the same people. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, bad_teammate said:

I don't think most of the people you see not wearing masks are "anti-mask", they're just self-centered. Which already described most people to begin with without requiring any kind of unifying variable or organized principles.

I think the people I'm referring to are more of the "masks are actually more harmful to your health" crowd. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, NorthLoop said:

I think the people I'm referring to are more of the "masks are actually more harmful to your health" crowd. 

I don't keep up with them, but has anyone claimed that the mask bodycount is higher than 0? Or do they just make vague statements and hope no one asks for hard figures?

3 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

40% of the country dude

Yeah it's terrifying.

I don't ever confront anyone about not wearing a mask, that's probably why I never really hear their brilliant ideas lol

I do get questions about why I'm wearing one even when not required, though. I've taken to just shaking my head to indicate a lack of desire to have a conversation about their ~*~*~curiosity~*~*~.

3 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

I don't keep up with them, but has anyone claimed that the mask bodycount is higher than 0? Or do they just make vague statements and hope no one asks for hard figures?

The argument is basically that we wear them wrong and touch them and our faces constantly, so they're a net negative for the average person. Apparently there was some study. It seems logical that one would then research best practices to wear a mask to be part of the solution, but many Americans don't get there. 

Just now, B00M said:

The argument is basically that we wear them wrong and touch them and our faces constantly, so they're a net negative for the average person. Apparently there was some study. It seems logical that one would then research best practices to wear a mask to be part of the solution, but many Americans don't get there. 

haha awesome

"Look, some people, when they wipe, get shit on their hands or don't get it all off their ass. Therefore, we shouldn't be expected to wipe!"

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

Ahhh.   2 months ago.  My bad. Time seems to take forever in 2020.   I honestly haven’t been paying attention to much the past 3 weeks either.  Got other shit going on that’s slightly more important than trying to gotcha people about an event that happened 2+ months ago.  

Hah, awesome. Tries to gotcha someone about an event that happened 2+ months ago. Fails. "Whatever guys, I don't have time for trying to gotcha people about an event that happened 2+ months ago".

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Serak The Preparer said:

Hah, awesome. Tries to gotcha someone about an event that happened 2+ months ago. Fails. "Whatever guys, I don't have time for trying to gotcha people about an event that happened 2+ months ago".

I wasn’t trying to gotcha anyone.  All I said was wasn’t Sturgis 3 months ago?   Then looked it up and it started 2 months and 10 days ago.   That was the entirety of the conversation.  

but blaming the current outbreak in some areas on Sturgis is as fucking regarded as going to Sturgis.   

Edited by Trey3216
  • Hook 'Em 3

I wasn’t trying to gotcha anyone.  All I said was wasn’t Sturgis 3 months ago?   Then looked it up and it started 2 months and 10 days ago.   That was the entirety of the conversation.  

but blaming the current outbreak in some areas on Sturgis is as fucking regarded as going to Sturgis.   

Yeah it’s more likely from Memorial Day protests.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, B00M said:

I had a guy tell me in a very authoritative tone that oxygen levels inside the mask immediately drop to 16% WHICH IS BELOW OSHA LIMITS FOR CONFINED SPACE!!!!!

I did not engage with such ideas that the masks are permeable for gases or that our lung capacity is much greater than the volume of air inside the mask. It wouldn’t have made a dent in his thinking. 

people that don’t want to wear a mask go looking for any reason they can point to, whether it’s “masks don’t work” to the above “masks are actually dangerous” to sudden claustrophobia to “actually in think I had it back in February. Yep I’m sure of it.”

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bad_teammate said:

I do get questions about why I'm wearing one even when not required, though. I've taken to just shaking my head to indicate a lack of desire to have a conversation about their ~*~*~curiosity~*~*~.

Cough and say it hurts to talk.  They won’t bother you anymore.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, pearlandhorn said:

What's going on with the vaccine trials?  Haven't really seen any discussion in the media or anywhere in the past few weeks. 

PFE may read out some level of efficacy results before the election, with safety data after...EUA some time after election if the data are right. They are manufacturing in parallel to the trials. Not as sure where MRNA is but assume they have an EUA by end of the year as well if no red flags. AZN and JNJ (both adenovirus vector vax) have seen delays as result of pauses due to some safety signals.

• Hook 'Em 1

^

Pearland-Three companies in the U.S. in Phase III trials.  One had to halt over a serious concern, but I think may have resumed.  Several others are in Phase I & II.  Obviously, the idea here is that you get two and everybody else can replicate it so we get to macro production rapidly.  There's also several dozen globally in Phase III testing as well.

Doesn't matter, the warm weather of December is almost here so the virus will disappear like a miracle.  

(checks notes)...Shit, we're in the Northern Hemisphere...aren't we?  Dammit, why aren't I notified of these things?!?

people that don’t want to wear a mask go looking for any reason they can point to, whether it’s “masks don’t work” to the above “masks are actually dangerous” to sudden claustrophobia to “actually in think I had it back in February. Yep I’m sure of it.”

This drives me nuts. I have a good friend who is a radiologist (and a Longhorn although not on Surly). He says at least once every time COVID comes up in conversation that he is sure he and his wife had it back in January.

Checking in from 5 very long weeks in WV.  Not many masks here, even though every store has the “mandate” paperwork at the door.   Haven’t heard much discussion about it at all, to be honest.  Pretty sure some of these people haven’t gotten the news about COVID, yet.   I’ve kept mine because goddamn it will suck if I get sick up here. Ugh. 

5 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Checking in from 5 very long weeks in WV.  Not many masks here, even though every store has the “mandate” paperwork at the door.   Haven’t heard much discussion about it at all, to be honest.  Pretty sure some of these people haven’t gotten the news about COVID, yet.   I’ve kept mine because goddamn it will suck if I get sick up here. Ugh. 

They’ve all got black lung anyway. Nowhere for the Covid to fit. Immunity via site exclusion. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

You know I was thinking about the anti-mask crowd, and I was wondering to myself "Who the fuck are these people? What kind of mentality do you have to have in your normal life to be one of these folk? Have these people always been around?" 

Then I remembered all the times I've gone to a public restroom and seen a turd slumped over the lip of a urinal. These are the same people. 

You'd think they'd be dead by now.

16 minutes ago, Borachio said:

Update: Moderna Vaccine Trial that I'm in.  After testing negative for antibodies following my 2nd injection with the commercial IgG test quoted above, I was determined to find the AB test geared toward the spike protein.  I did find a reference lab in Austin that offers the Euroimmun ELISA test that detects IgG antibodies to the S1 domain of the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein.  I had my blood draw yesterday and received my results today.  I am happy to report I tested positive for antibodies with a result value of 8.99, anything greater than 1.09 is positive.  In fact, my result value is considered high according to the report I got.  I'm 42 years old BTW.

This was encouraging news as it confirms for me that I got the actual vaccine and elicited a good immune response. Plus, I have yet to grow a 3rd arm so things seem to be on the up and up with this trial.  :)

Hopefully it all actually works.

Pfizer study here.....I get my blood drown on the 28th, after what my second injection did to me (side effects) I am pretty confident I don't have to worry about COVID for awhile

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Borachio said:

Update: Moderna Vaccine Trial that I'm in.  After testing negative for antibodies following my 2nd injection with the commercial IgG test quoted above, I was determined to find the AB test geared toward the spike protein.  I did find a reference lab in Austin that offers the Euroimmun ELISA test that detects IgG antibodies to the S1 domain of the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein.  I had my blood draw yesterday and received my results today.  I am happy to report I tested positive for antibodies with a result value of 8.99, anything greater than 1.09 is positive.  In fact, my result value is considered high according to the report I got.  I'm 42 years old BTW.

This was encouraging news as it confirms for me that I got the actual vaccine and elicited a good immune response. Plus, I have yet to grow a 3rd arm so things seem to be on the up and up with this trial.  :)

Hopefully it all actually works.

Good fucking shit right here!

U-S-A  U-S-A  U-S-A  U-S-A

20 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

If masks dont work, why the fuck have I been wearing one in the OR for the past decade? Jokes on me, I guess

I don't feel bad for you man.  I've been doing arc welding as a hobby for the last 10 years and apparently I was wearing a mask the whole time for no reason.  

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away