Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

On 10/29/2020 at 10:16 PM, atomheartbevo said:

Oh good, Michael Bay has pumped out a movie based on the premise that covid will keep mutating into worse and worse strains, leading to four years of lockdown.

Does it mutate into a virus that will make humans spontaneously explode like 220 lbs of C4??  

11 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Every time I see somebody like that carrying, all I can think is that they had to have been horribly bullied as kids.

And, as sad as their upbringing may have been, they also seem to be the dangerous ones, constantly daydreaming about their "moment."

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Armybrat said:

In the years since open carrying was legalized in Texas, I have only seen one couple availing themselves of that right two years ago. They were walking out of a Wendy’s.

Well, you never know when you might need to regulate a dispute over a Frosty. 

Edited by mdmost

29 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

fatboy is scared to death of the boogeyman, yet not scared at all of something that might actually kill him. 

It's really the perfect synopsis of what we're dealing with.  The same people screaming at us how "we won't live our lives in fear," when really, the main thing we're asking them to do is wear a simple mask, and not have big get togethers for a few more months.....are people who won't go to the goddamned grocery stores without a .45 on their hip and a backup piece in their boot because they're terrified that they're gonna be attacked by thugs and whatnot every time they leave their home.

These are people who are very, very, very bad at math.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

It's really the perfect synopsis of what we're dealing with.  The same people screaming at us how "we won't live our lives in fear," when really, the main thing we're asking them to do is wear a simple mask, and not have big get togethers for a few more months.....are people who won't go to the goddamned grocery stores without a .45 on their hip and a backup piece in their boot because they're terrified that they're gonna be attacked by thugs and whatnot every time they leave their home.

There is a fatalistic side to many many Americans. When you see the statistics of how many Americans are physically and mentally suffering from despair, it is no wonder there is fatalism (e.g., "if i die I die" or "i just want to get this over with.") Trump has long been a fatalist - https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/06/08/donald-trump-beliefs-what-matters-fatalism-218663

Spoiler

“What scares you the most?” a Newsday reporter asked him in 1991.

“Nothing scares me. Nothing,” he answered. “I’m a great fatalist—whatever happens, happens, and you just have to go along with it. That’s one of the reasons I’ve been able to survive the way I’ve been able to survive.”

“I take things very much as they come,” Trump said. “I deal with the cards that are dealt me. And I think I do it well. I’m very much a fatalist. I always have been but I’m more so now.”

“All I can say,” he added in 1992 in the Sunday Times of London, “is that what’s important is to survive, and I was really blessed with an ability to withstand pressure. Most people would have been in the corner sucking their thumb if they were crucified like I was last year. I’m not going to look back and say it was tough and blame myself. We’ve come through …”

“His fatalism,” Wayne Barrett wrote in his Trump biography that was published that year, “allowed him to hold himself blameless.”

5 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

Does it mutate into a virus that will make humans spontaneously explode like 220 lbs of C4??  

We can only hope.  It's Michael Bay, so the chances are extremely high.  Also, there has to be a shitty romance somewhere in the mix, and he put it front-and-center this time.  Guess he learned from Pearl Harbor.

• Like 1

Got into Europe and had to take a second test today.  Environment was way different. People in hospital fully dressed in bunny suits.  Looked like a scene straight out of Chernobyl.  This doc wasn't gentle like the last and jabbed the swab in both my nostrils.  Then she swirled it around like she was mixing a fucking coffee.  Shit was ...unpleasant.

12 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Got into Europe and had to take a second test today.  Environment was way different. People in hospital fully dressed in bunny suits.  Looked like a scene straight out of Chernobyl.  This doc wasn't gentle like the last and jabbed the swab in both my nostrils.  Then she swirled it around like she was mixing a fucking coffee.  Shit was ...unpleasant.

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

So almost home from a long work road trip across the SEC. Pretty good mask use across Tennessee's urban areas and up into Northern Virgina. In Memphis had to sign into the places we went assuming for contact tracing. 

Rural was gonna be rural. Rare mask sightings. Get into Arkansas and North Texas and no one seems to give a fuck. Guess our winter is not bad enough yet. 

So almost home from a long work road trip across the SEC. Pretty good mask use across Tennessee's urban areas and up into Northern Virgina. In Memphis had to sign into the places we went assuming for contact tracing. 
Rural was gonna be rural. Rare mask sightings. Get into Arkansas and North Texas and no one seems to give a fuck. Guess our winter is not bad enough yet. 

We have reached the winter of our discontent.
  • Hook 'Em 2

They are the party of fear. Literally every mailer I get is list after list of bullshit I'm supposed to be afraid of. Mind bottling.

19 hours ago, Armybrat said:

In the years since open carrying was legalized in Texas, I have only seen one couple availing themselves of that right two years ago. They were walking out of a Wendy’s.

When i am in some of my more "rural" locales for work,  sometimes you hear the clanking of spurs from real cowboys who have come to town and gone to the store.  That still seems way the fuck more normal and 'expected' than open carry.

I've avoided this thread for a while - but this is something that I needed to share
I've heard it all, from family and friends - 99% of the people who get it are fine, only old people, people with other co-morbid conditions die, most don't know they have it and those that do it is like the flu

Well this hits close to home, well at least to my adopted hometown - my kids grew up here, and my this girl was a close friend of my youngest son.

A 20 year old college student died in her sleep last week - and her family and her hometown mourns

https://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/news/local/2020/11/03/bethany-nesbitt-grand-ledge-grace-college-covid-19-blood-clot/6142078002/

I guess it doesn't really hurt anyone, until it does
and I know this won't change anyone's opinion - hell it hasn't changed my redneck Son in-laws opinion that it is mainly a hoax
not looking for T&P, just sharing because for some families COVID is very real

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Sorry your son had to lose a good friend at such a young age.  Nothing you can do for those parents right now unfortunately, but whatever little, honest gesture your son could bring himself to make would probably make a world of difference for them right now.  I'm really starting to thing Covid-19 might be a real fucking asshole.  

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Besides the fact that’s a lot of fur, the fact this thing jumped from human to mink and back with mutations seems like a pretty big deal.

On 11/3/2020 at 8:48 PM, Wally Fairway said:

I've heard it all, from family and friends - 99% of the people who get it are fine, only old people, people with other co-morbid conditions die, most don't know they have it and those that do it is like the flu

A 20 year old college student died in her sleep last week - and her family and her hometown mourns

https://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/news/local/2020/11/03/bethany-nesbitt-grand-ledge-grace-college-covid-19-blood-clot/6142078002/

Isn't the bolded line still true?

From Grace College:

This morning, Kosciusko County Coroner Tony Ciriello released information on the cause of Bethany Nesbitt’s death. The report reads:

“After a complete investigation and autopsy, the cause of death has been ruled natural due to a pulmonary embolus that had not been previously detected. While COVID did play a role in contributing to the death, it was not caused by COVID.”

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

Nope, no lockdowns. Not in Texas, at least. Everyone's just on their own this time. 

They are shutting things down in El Paso, or rather have.

https://www.elpasotimes.com/story/news/health/2020/10/29/el-paso-covid-restrictions-update-after-coronavirus-cases-spike/6070587002/

https://kvia.com/top-stories/2020/11/05/el-paso-reports-22-virus-deaths-nearly-2000-new-cases/

11 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

So time to go to HEB and get toilet paper? Are they open? 

My HEB didn't have any toilet paper or paper towels this past friday.   DIdn't see any diaper wipes either.  Thank God my friends/family loaded us up with about 3 months worth of wipes and diapers at our diaper party before the baby was born.   

17 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

My HEB didn't have any toilet paper or paper towels this past friday.   DIdn't see any diaper wipes either.  Thank God my friends/family loaded us up with about 3 months worth of wipes and diapers at our diaper party before the baby was born.   

how's your kid doing?  any more unpleasant medical surprises?

Edited by Message Board User

6 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

how's your kid doing?  any more unpleasant medical surprises?

She's doing great thus far.  She's growing like a little weed.  I know we have to go back in Dec for another contrast study to see how everything is coming along, as well as to see the nature of the stenosis in her lower esophagus just above the diaphragm.  If that stenosis is cartilage related rather than muscle related, they'll have to cut and repair there as well (likely sometime around June of next year).  So we're not out of the woods, but her doctors and surgeons are extremely healthy with her current growth tract and ongoing recover.  

Other than that, she's a normal newborn.  Have had 2 nights of extremely terrible sleep (like less than 2 hours); one was daylight savings time last saturday (baby don't give a shit if the clock changed, she's hungry when she's hungry), and the other was election night.  Just couldn't get her back to sleep even though I fed her at 2am, 3:15am and again at 5:30am.  I finally went to sleep at 5:45 and woke up at 7:15 to get ready for work.  Just an ass whipping.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Trey3216 said:

She's doing great thus far.  She's growing like a little weed.  I know we have to go back in Dec for another contrast study to see how everything is coming along, as well as to see the nature of the stenosis in her lower esophagus just above the diaphragm.  If that stenosis is cartilage related rather than muscle related, they'll have to cut and repair there as well (likely sometime around June of next year).  So we're not out of the woods, but her doctors and surgeons are extremely healthy with her current growth tract and ongoing recover.  

Other than that, she's a normal newborn.  Have had 2 nights of extremely terrible sleep (like less than 2 hours); one was daylight savings time last saturday (baby don't give a shit if the clock changed, she's hungry when she's hungry), and the other was election night.  Just couldn't get her back to sleep even though I fed her at 2am, 3:15am and again at 5:30am.  I finally went to sleep at 5:45 and woke up at 7:15 to get ready for work.  Just an ass whipping.  

Excellent news.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

The new fuck around and find out rep seems very apt for this post.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

Don't worry it'll get better in about 8-12 months.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away