Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

32 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Yeah, I've heard about that - developed by Ram Jam, derived from their hit drug Bam-ba-Lam.

Here's a transcript from their press conference:

"whoa black betty

bamlanivimab

whoa black betty

bamlanivimab

black betty had a virus

bamlanivimab

damn thing was inside us

bamlanivimab"

They sing about it if you'd like to learn more.

Already been cited..... I think you need to be a bit more diligent on this page my man! :)   

San Antonio is about to blow up again. Numbers from the last few days looking really, really bad
The good news is that, given the spiking cases across the country right now, I'm sure everyone will be making responsible choices over the next few weeks and not traveling to attend large indoor family gatherings.

No wait, sorry, that's exactly what they're all going to do.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

So my county health officer just posted about a drug just given emergency use for covid- Bamlamivimab.  Monoclonal antibody injection. First I’ve heard this drug mentioned- anyone heard of it or know anything?

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/coronavirus-covid-19-update-fda-authorizes-monoclonal-antibody-treatment-covid-19?fbclid=IwAR3Vh7DW3Zc81vl9QyivRtv9tXy7_z2v4vqK_oUvGtp08VrQnYcAzVQwKgo

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/16/health/coronavirus-drug-eli-lilly.html?action=click&module=RelatedLinks&pgtype=Article

Yeah, I would suspect the drug would work very well. In fact, I advised using such an approach or a similar approach back in February. The Lilly approach will work as a one time thing and antibodies will stay around for a month but I would expect a certain number of people will have a problem with side effects.  Interestingly, it got relatively no publicity when it received emergency approval yet it has been used on some very powerful people who were lucky enough to get tested early in the COVID infection process.

Edited by Bevo

10 hours ago, StruggleBus said:

San Antonio is about to blow up again. Numbers from the last few days looking really, really bad

Are they hospital admit numbers?  Because San Antonio maybe taking covid cases from El Paso now.  It sounds like EP is having to fly covid patients out, and not just non-covid.

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

It's fucking crazy that people are more laissez faire about covid than we were back in June. I love football and partying as much as the next guy, but for FUCKS sake 

15 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

My entire extended family had an email chain about Christmas and every single family is going except me, my wife, and kids. 15-20 people inside the same house for an entire weekend. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. 

This shit is going to get us back to shutdown mode.   Actually, some states are already headed that way, and El Paso is as well.

State of Texas is fighting El Paso over the shutdown orders, which pisses me so off.

It's like "hey, if you could get everybody to wear a fucking mask, keep some distance, wash their hands, we don't have to do this shutdown shit."

For those not visiting the Texas thread, El Paso hospitals are full, they are sending patients to New Mexico and various cities in Texas.  El Paso has brought in 10 portable morgues and looking for more, and they have over 320 in ICU, and over a thousand hospitalized (Austin never hit a thousand).

Edited by atomheartbevo

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

This shit is going to get us back to shutdown mode.   Actually, some states are already headed that way, and El Paso is as well.

State of Texas is fighting El Paso over the shutdown orders, which pisses me so much fucking off.

https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov/news/releases/ag-paxton-joins-coalition-businesses-lawsuit-against-el-paso-judges-unlawful-order

It's like "hey fuckfaces, if you could get everybody to wear a fucking mask, keep some distance, wash their hands, we don't have to do this shutdown shit."

But no, let's run things as wide open as possible, and fuck it if we start putting hundreds of people in ICUs (320 in El Paso at last count), and a Texas town is having to send patients to other cities in Texas and New Mexico.  Because El Paso's hospitals are completely full, and the military is having to help setup portable hospitals.

I'm not so sure. With the Lilly treatment and the Regeneron treatment coming to market and a vaccine on its way, we are nearing the end of this pandemic. Government officials may shut things down, but by the time the next president is sworn in, I am very confident things will be on the upswing.

Just now, Bevo said:

I'm not so sure. With the Lilly treatment and the Regeneron treatment coming to market and a vaccine on its way, we are nearing the end of this pandemic. Government officials may shut things down, but by the time the next president is sworn in, I am very confident things will be on the upswing.

Yeah, but:  "If Texas, which has a population of about 29 million people, were its own country, it would now be ranked 10th in terms of total identified cases of Covid-19."

And the vaccines aren't hitting the general population for quite some time.  I'd rather we not rely on treatments once people are in the hospital - I'd rather we keep people out of the hospitals in the first place, and keep the schools open, etc.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, Incredulity said:

Couple of weeks ago I was out at a sportsbar with some friends, there was a 10pm mandated soon approaching.  

We ordered a couple of pizza's to go expecting them to arrive around closing.  They didn't.

As they shooed us out of the establishment we reminded them of the to-go pizza.  They said it would be a few more minutes and we could wait.  We requested to-go waters while we waited.  They said, "No problem but you can't drink the water while you wait".  Ok, whatever.

Well a few minutes turned into closer to twenty.  Out of pure thirst and reflex I took a sip of the water I was holding.  A staffer passing by noticed my drink and promptly confiscated the water.

TL/DR:  I got kicked out of a sportsbar for drinking water.

User name checking out

40 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

It's like "hey, if you could get everybody to wear a fucking mask, keep some distance, wash their hands, we don't have to do this shutdown shit."

I'm with you, man.  But it feels like basic human behavior has reached the point of no return in the pandemic.  Even with statewide or nationwide mask mandates, return to limited restaurant capacities or complete restaurant shutdowns, and other restrictive measures, people are still going to gather in ways that provide opportunity for transmission.  And local governments just don't have the resources to prevent that. 

I don't mean to sound defeatist, and am not arguing against a return to some form of shutdowns we endured earlier in the year.  But people -- whites, blacks, Hispanics, etc. -- are beyond the point of staying within the confines of their homes.  Even the more reasonable folks on the other side of the Trumpy pandemic spectrum are just fucking done with this. 

3 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I'm with you, man.  But it feels like basic human behavior has reached the point of no return in the pandemic.  Even with statewide or nationwide mask mandates, return to limited restaurant capacities or complete restaurant shutdowns, and other restrictive measures, people are still going to gather in ways that provide opportunity for transmission.  And local governments just don't have the resources to prevent that. 

I don't mean to sound defeatist, and am not arguing against a return to some form of shutdowns we endured earlier in the year.  But people -- whites, blacks, Hispanics, etc. -- are beyond the point of staying within the confines of their homes.  Even the more reasonable folks on the other side of the Trumpy pandemic spectrum are just fucking done with this. 

Trigger warning: This post is just having some fun. I have a friend who is into conspiracy theories with the Illuminati and such. He starts telling me about how significant it was that the early cases were in Italy and how it will be used to control the population. Well, I am not into conspiracy theories, but... I think this virus is a good test to see how the public reacts to a pandemic. This one wasn't particularly deadly, but it brought the world population and economy down for at least an entire year. I don't think we would do much better if a new outbreak of a different virus occurred just because it seems pretty apparent that our attention span has lasted about 3/4ths of a year and now everyone is basically done with it.

I can't remember the book title, odds are strong that someone else on this site read it.  But it dealt mostly with the wind-down in the U.S. to WWII and how we immediately shifted to the Marshall Plan/Cold War.  But it talked about the fatigue at home (not abroad) among regular citizens and families at the very end of the war, particularly between V-E and V-J Day.  Remember, 99.9999% of the population didn't know about our plan to bring about the swift end to the Asiatic Theater with Fat Man & Little Boy.  Though it was not really ever fleshed out publicly, most Americans knew deep down inside some sort of mainland invasion of Honshu would be necessary to finally break the Empire's back.  But we were exhausted as a nation from rationing of everything from tires to beef to aspirin to cotton, price controls, almost all non-essential goods and services pivoted towards the war effort, to buying as many War Bonds as you could without vomiting, and what's more---every small town square had a gold star in it, every street in every major city had a gold star on it. 

3 and a half long, dark, hard years...a nation turned itself over to a common cause, forgot most of what it ever knew, set about becoming the greatest war machine the world would ever know, and won a 3-theater war that changed the course of history forever.  3 and a half years of sacrifice, pain, and dedication that we will never see again.  3 and a half years of the old saying, "All gave some, some gave all."  More time than I spent on UT's campus.  

At the end of this pandemic, we'll have been asked to wear a mask and not gather at Chili's in large groups...for less than a year probably.  And we couldn't even fucking do that.  

Remember on Veteran's Day today when you're talking with your Great Uncle who was a submariner at the end of WWII or your wife's grand-father who was in the Aleutian Islands and the Okinawa Invasion.  Remember to thank them for their sacrifice, but remember their wives, their mothers, their siblings, their fellow townspeople, their preachers, their teachers...the people who did back at home what had to be done to send these men to the four corners of the globe to defeat what true terror really looks like.  Remember to ask them about what a tough period that was for all of America, even back at home separated by two oceans.  And remember even as we got patriotic fatigue towards the end, we pressed on.  And then on again.  And one more time through the fog.  We did all of that for almost four years.  And then tell those veterans, "Sorry but this Covid-19 sacrifice for one year, it's just a little too much for us.  You see grandpa...we usually have this 32-person fantasy football awards dinner at Chili's each January.  But that was a great story about how grandma's friends all saved needles and thread for months so they could sew that gold star banner for your older brother who died in the Netherlands."  

I'm glad half the vets in my family aren't alive to see this shit. They were right, cowardice always comes disguised as bravado.  

Edited by Lobo

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

just stahp with the positivity.  this is the doom and gloom thread.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, StruggleBus said:

Where are you seeing that? Comal County has almost no public data so I have to use Austin and SA as proxies to figure out what the hell is going on out here.

1 hour ago, LurkingHorn said:

My entire extended family had an email chain about Christmas and every single family is going except me, my wife, and kids. 15-20 people inside the same house for an entire weekend. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. 

Unless every single one of them has been quarantining, or is getting tested, you're doing the right thing.  It sucks, but you're making the smart decision.

• Hook 'Em 2

36 minutes ago, slorch said:

We've had people deployed for the past 19 years. On and off for the past 30.

Are we fatigued yet?

Absolutely.  But the "national" effort to support our campaigns in the Middle East are nothing compared to what we did as a nation during WWII.  No offense to the families of servicemembers still abroad, but it's not even in the same sphere.  Every single American in the early 1940's knew someone deployed somewhere around the world, or at least serving at home in uniform.  It's very common, even after 19 years of U.S. Armed Forces presence in the ME, to meet people that don't know a single Veteran.  I just look at my street, 22 parents living on it.  Almost all native Texans, all ages 35-60.  Only me and one other adult on the street have relatives in the military.  To everybody else, it's just this other thing over there that America has.  

My point was our fatigue with Covid-19 is nothing compared to what we've been through before.  And we are absolutely failing in almost every way to step up for our nation and do our part.  It's disgusting to me to think about on Veteran's Day.  What the fuck happened to us?  

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Absolutely.  But the "national" effort to support our campaigns in the Middle East are nothing compared to what we did as a nation during WWII.  No offense to the families of servicemembers still abroad, but it's not even in the same sphere.  Every single American in the early 1940's knew someone deployed somewhere around the world, or at least serving at home in uniform.  It's very common, even after 19 years of U.S. Armed Forces presence in the ME, to meet people that don't know a single Veteran.  I just look at my street, 22 parents living on it.  Almost all native Texans, all ages 35-60.  Only me and one other adult on the street have relatives in the military.  To everybody else, it's just this other thing over there that America has.  

My point was our fatigue with Covid-19 is nothing compared to what we've been through before.  And we are absolutely failing in almost every way to step up for our nation and do our part.  It's disgusting to me to think about on Veteran's Day.  What the fuck happened to us?  

Universal participation trophies and social media.

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

I can't remember the book title, odds are strong that someone else on this site read it.  But it dealt mostly with the wind-down in the U.S. to WWII and how we immediately shifted to the Marshall Plan/Cold War.  But it talked about the fatigue at home (not abroad) among regular citizens and families at the very end of the war, particularly between V-E and V-J Day.  Remember, 99.9999% of the population didn't know about our plan to bring about the swift end to the Asiatic Theater with Fat Man & Little Boy.  Though it was not really ever fleshed out publicly, most Americans knew deep down inside some sort of mainland invasion of Honshu would be necessary to finally break the Empire's back.  But we were exhausted as a nation from rationing of everything from tires to beef to aspirin to cotton, price controls, almost all non-essential goods and services pivoted towards the war effort, to buying as many War Bonds as you could without vomiting, and what's more---every small town square had a gold star in it, every street in every major city had a gold star on it. 

3 and a half long, dark, hard years...a nation turned itself over to a common cause, forgot most of what it ever knew, set about becoming the greatest war machine the world would ever know, and won a 3-theater war that changed the course of history forever.  3 and a half years of sacrifice, pain, and dedication that we will never see again.  3 and a half years of the old saying, "All gave some, some gave all."  More time than I spent on UT's campus.  

At the end of this pandemic, we'll have been asked to wear a mask and not gather at Chili's in large groups...for less than a year probably.  And we couldn't even fucking do that.  

Remember on Veteran's Day today when you're talking with your Great Uncle who was a submariner at the end of WWII or your wife's grand-father who was in the Aleutian Islands and the Okinawa Invasion.  Remember to thank them for their sacrifice, but remember their wives, their mothers, their siblings, their fellow townspeople, their preachers, their teachers...the people who did back at home what had to be done to send these men to the four corners of the globe to defeat what true terror really looks like.  Remember to ask them about what a tough period that was for all of America, even back at home separated by two oceans.  And remember even as we got patriotic fatigue towards the end, we pressed on.  And then on again.  And one more time through the fog.  We did all of that for almost four years.  And then tell those veterans, "Sorry but this Covid-19 sacrifice for one year, it's just a little too much for us.  You see grandpa...we usually have this 32-person fantasy football awards dinner at Chili's each January.  But that was a great story about how grandma's friends all saved needles and thread for months so they could sew that gold star banner for your older brother who died in the Netherlands."  

I'm glad half the vets in my family aren't alive to see this shit. They were right, cowardice always comes disguised as bravado.  

spacer.png

43 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Universal participation trophies and social media.

Probably true.  Funny though how the runners-up these days still want to get their 1st place acknowledgement despite no mathematical or legal evidence to support it.  And don't get me started on Social Media.  If we gave out trophies for conspiracy theorists and butt-hurt feelings from also-rans, I gotta buncha blue ribbons to pass around.  

1 hour ago, BradInATX said:

Where are you seeing that? Comal County has almost no public data so I have to use Austin and SA as proxies to figure out what the hell is going on out here.

Just raw case numbers. Although yeah, there are currently 61 patients from El Paso that have been transferred to SA hospitals. 

20 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

. Although yeah, there are currently 61 patients from El Paso that have been transferred to SA hospitals. 

El Paso kept their numbers under a thousand new cases, and they actually had a decent drop in hospitalizations and ICU use - down to only 279 patients in an intensive care unit, and 205 ventilators were in use.

6 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Is this about that time of month where the narrative switches from "We're overreacting, it's not THAT serious" to "this was all inevitable, nothing could have been done to prevent these spikes"?

7 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Bodies in Trees!

yuuuuuuup. Although we can't really be sure until @ChickenSandwich starts giving us his daily updates again

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I’m on phone so couldn’t really get charts to show well but this is an interesting article from NIH that used electronic medical records to pull BMI data out of a couple of large El Paso health systems. 

Looked at education level, income, ethnicity (el paso 83% Hispanic) via census tracts as a means of looking at obesity rates. 

El Paso is a perfect storm for CV19. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7345673/#!po=0.757576

Edited by BrazilHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

Does anyone know a source which shows how many total deaths including Covid are occuring daily in individual states?

I ask because I am looking at data in previous years, which for Texas shows about 550 deaths a day for 2018 and 2019.

I am curious as to how much Covid-19 has caused those numbers to rise.

Here is the link.  You can look at the entire U.S., or every state, county, and metropolitan area individually.

https://www.recenter.tamu.edu/data/population

Edited by Somnio

The Osterholm Update podcast last week (CIDRAP)was grim. Dr. Osterholm said in a couple of months we are going to look back and wish for the day with 120,000 cases and and only 1,600 daily deaths.

This fucking guy
I guess we’ll see. You can google “osterholm lockdown” and find 6 different articles where he says we need lockdowns to lockdowns are no cure.

The 200k cases and 3k death days on June 1 never came close

On 11/10/2020 at 12:05 PM, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Ohio Gov Mike DeWine just announced a statewide COVID address for prime-time tomorrow. I'm guessing he's going to shut it all down again since he was one of the first to do so back in March.

Update/correction

5:30 this evening. DeWine has only done one of these addresses previously and that was when he shut it down back in March.

24 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Do you know how evenly distributed that 7767/day is?  Just curious if most COD are time of year/season independent. 

I wondered the same.  That number was just total deaths in 2019 divided by 365.

I assume that there is quite a bit of fluctuation throughout the year though.  I know I've read how almost all flu deaths occur over just a couple of months in a typical year so there's probably a spike over the winter months where most of those 40,000 or so deaths occur every year.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away