Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

11 minutes ago, Scheiss Meister said:

As long as people eat and drink, they shit and piss, and as long as they shit and piss, I have a job.  So I have that going for me.

Same here.  Shitty fist bump bro.

Although I suspect there will be a serious slowdown in new development at some point when the money isn’t as easy.

• Hook 'Em 2

The economic impacts of this virus will have ramifications for a decade plus. Some people are crushing it and many many others are in trouble. It’s remarkable. I still cannot believe how strong real estate has been during this. The folks with means are buying up property left and right. 

I inherited property in Jackson, WY and for the last decade there have been a dozen or so plots for sale off and on nearby. The prices never quite got back to 2008 levels. As of now there are no plots available. Everything has sold and prices have exceeded 2008. Who would have thought. 

5 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

JP Morgan says 2022. We are down 11 million jobs. The starter fluid has dried up. 

And the earliest there will be any relief for businesses/individuals will be late January.

Good thing we aren't headed into the busiest retail season of the year, that happens to need a lot of disposable income.

Oh fuck.

That thread of local businesses that don't survive this is going to grow pretty fast over the next few months.

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

JP Morgan says 2022. We are down 11 million jobs. The starter fluid has dried up. 

If businesses can't open, WTF do you think is going to happen to the number of jobs?

What's starter fluid in this context?

41 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

And the earliest there will be any relief for businesses/individuals will be late January.

Good thing we aren't headed into the busiest retail season of the year, that happens to need a lot of disposable income.

Oh fuck.

That thread of local businesses that don't survive this is going to grow pretty fast over the next few months.

Fuck Christmas.

There I said it for everyone.

3 minutes ago, slorch said:

Fuck Christmas.

There I said it for everyone.

If we cancel Christmas and some of the other holidays, or just do Zoom sessions, will save us a lot of driving and money in the future, and we can go to somewhere scenic for a week, rather than hang out around relatives in tiny little towns in East Texas and Arkansas, that always seem to have banjo music playing somewhere in the background.

11 minutes ago, Okie State said:

Man, I love Christmas. Pretty pissed it's going to get fucked up this year.

In all seriousness, this is a pretty hard one - all of our kids' remaining grandparents are in their 70s up to 91.   They are at least taking this stuff seriously, but there's still that thought about what happens if they still get it, we won't even be able to be with them if things go really bad.  Christmas has been pretty awesome of the kids, because my kids are my parents' only grandchildren, so they get spoiled.

In all seriousness, this is a pretty hard one - all of our kids' remaining grandparents are in their 70s up to 91.   They are at least taking this stuff seriously, but there's still that thought about what happens if they still get it, we won't even be able to be with them if things go really bad.  Christmas has been pretty awesome of the kids, because my kids are my parents' only grandchildren, so they get spoiled.
Yeah Christmas is pretty special to me because of my Grandma. She's not with us anymore, but I still think of her every year and look forward to it. I think we'll still get together with family, but it's not a huge group these days so hopefully it will be fine. It would be depressing to miss it altogether.
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, slorch said:

What's starter fluid in this context?

Basic capitalism/Keynes I think.

• We are a consumer driven economy.
  • We are living in a an ongoing and increasing Pandemic.
  • Stimulate through slowdown while Pandemic controlled.
  • Keep the system running.  

Untapped spending power that will invigorate the entire economic system. 

Stimulus is not controversial for the United States economy. It is sound economic policy. We are a consumer economy. That's America.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Yeah I was feeling better about work until these second waves of lockdowns started. Turns out what we make isn't really needed when people stay home. We're not even close to getting through this.

Yeah I was starting to feel decent again, but based on events in last two weeks, I’d be surprised if I’m employed through all of 2021. Fucking sucks
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, Scheiss Meister said:

As long as people eat and drink, they shit and piss, and as long as they shit and piss, I have a job.  So I have that going for me.

Never bring piss to a shit job.  Or was it never bring piss to shit fight.  The one without the Indians.  

18 hours ago, Scheiss Meister said:

What do you do? Sewer pipe unclogging business? Wastewater treatment plant? Proctologist? I’m running out of ideas.

34 minutes ago, XYZ said:

What do you do? Sewer pipe unclogging business? Wastewater treatment plant? Proctologist? I’m running out of ideas.

Wastewater treatment plant operations.  Good job security, if you can handle the work and relatively low pay.  Decent benefits help, but are dwindling every year.

So my cousin is getting married this coming weekend in Omaha. They cut back the number of attendees drastically even before the recent surge started getting bad, but they are still doing a reception for the attendees. I got a text from him today asking if I’d drive our 90 year old grandma and 60 year old mentally handicapped uncle with lung issues home from the reception. I told him no because I’ve been in the office with our college interns and younger coworkers that keep going to bars and such along with my fiancé working in the public school system. He said he strongly agreed with my decision not to drive them, which definitely reinforced my relief to be a long way from that wedding. 

21 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

Basic capitalism/Keynes I think.

• We are a consumer driven economy.
  • We are living in a an ongoing and increasing Pandemic.
  • Stimulate through slowdown while Pandemic controlled.
  • Keep the system running.  

Untapped spending power that will invigorate the entire economic system. 

Stimulus is not controversial for the United States economy. It is sound economic policy. We are a consumer economy. That's America.

Didn't you use to be a Libertarian? Printing money would seem to go against your philosophy.

Both those guys are packing because they need to have a way to keep back all the pussy that wanna get with thems.  

Now I know what it's like to be some Texans, you gotta come heavy to beat back all that ass that wanna get with you.  Much respect gents, much respect.  

I hope these guys come correct at Election Polling Places because of all the women of color that'll just be tossing that pussy at they feet and whatnot.  

Total respect to you Trumpers that gotta strap, because like Donald...so much ass be coming your way and you never know who cray-cray....

50 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Didn't you use to be a Libertarian? Printing money would seem to go against your philosophy.

Our current economic system is based on libertarian ideals (neo-liberalism). Fed Monetary Policy condones printing (and has mandates to print).

Stimulus is standard policy in an economic system shocked into a slowdown with a labor surplus. Our economy works when there is consumption at all levels of the economy. We already propped up the financial structure of the economy. They are just waiting for customers. The financial sector and the Fed have said stimulus is necessary - the sooner the better. We need to get this whole machine moving again. The spice of commerce must flow. 

39 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Our current economic system is based on libertarian ideals (neo-liberalism). Fed Monetary Policy condones printing (and has mandates to print).

Stimulus is standard policy in an economic system shocked into a slowdown with a labor surplus. Our economy works when there is consumption at all levels of the economy. We already propped up the financial structure of the economy. They are just waiting for customers. The financial sector and the Fed have said stimulus is necessary - the sooner the better. We need to get this whole machine moving again. The spice of commerce must flow. 

So you no longer want to audit the Fed?

31 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

We need them to work their voodoo for a tad bit longer. They built a highly integrated structure - and those always have backdoors. 

While the taxpayers’ backdoors get abused... very dryly.

Edited by Armybrat

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away