Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

2 hours ago, staboner said:

great down here in Oz. We just had day 16 of 0 cases and 0 deaths (state of Victoria). ~20k tests a day with 0 positives. that's insane. We are finally proactively targeting areas of the town with random testing and if/when we get positives there is a very strict contract tracing regiment that includes like 1/2 a Kevin Bacon to quarantine. 

Had a ~ 4 month lockdown to get there. I almost lost my mind. It was awful but hey now we can get out and do stuff again. Summer helps for obvious reasons. 

Seeing 2 week lockdowns? that's hilariously ineffective and will do nothing.  

Sorry for these tough times homies. Hello from survivor's guilt. I am sure we will have our pains again soon enough. Hang in there.

Untill you get people who get sick again. Then things will close down and we'll have more deaths of dispare.

Edited by workswithseed

21 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

Manufacturing, Construction and Health Care are not shut down
3 week shut down - and they will re-evaluate

Also, locally and previously announced - no longer able to get walk-in/drive-in Covid testing for all. Now in Mid-Michigan you will need Dr. orders before you can be tested (they had been using on-site Dr's to approve on demand test). The last week 20% of all tests in my county were positive, and the wait times were 4-5 hours to get on demand tests.

9 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Maybe 3 weeks of standing in line to vote, followed by gigantic crowds celebrating the race being called, wasn’t the smartest thing from a healthcare standpoint?

Here in Austin, it looked more like Halloween shit, which would also explain some of the area high school outbreaks.  Well, that and those dumbass kids were posting their Halloween parties on social media.

Man I'm lucky they didn't have mobile phones with cameras when I was in high school.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, atomheartbevo said:

Here in Austin, it looked more like Halloween shit, which would also explain some of the area high school outbreaks.  Well, that and those dumbass kids were posting their Halloween parties on social media.

Man I'm lucky they didn't have mobile phones with cameras when I was in high school.

Could be both. And i assume many, many people will ignore the regulations and have a large thanksgiving party next week. And Christmas, then big new year’s parties to tell 2020 to fuck off. 

Plus, those raucous celebratory crowds didn't really begin until the weekend of 7-8 November.  The current third wave we're in began well before that.  

Might be something to the voting crowds though, that's the largest human gatherings a lot of us have been in for several months.  Even though all polling places I saw took enormous precautions...it was still the most people over 50 I've seen next to each other in months.  But again, the current spike started long before Election Day.  

The fucking Capitol rally/counter-rally I saw the other day though...hundreds packed on top of each other, maybe 50/50 on masks.  I've never judged a person on how they dress, just never mattered to me.  But once they open up their fucking mouths, you can tell within 30 seconds if they are educated or uneducated.  And I've said since May, mask wearing hasn't been about political affiliation but about education.  Stupid people don't mask up.  And just listening from afar, you could tell who the dumb ones were and sure as shit, they weren't in masks.  And on top of another like idiots.  

It's funny though, an educated scientist at the tops of their field...politely inform us about some solid data that points to us wearing masks makes our neighbors safer.  Under no threat of real punishment, I voluntarily choose to wear one when I'm out and about.  (I don't consider a polite ask by a store manager to return to my car to retrieve my mask or their offer to give me a disposable one for free to be a terribly punitive---but then I'm not a gaping pussy of a man).  And that makes me a sheep in some of y'all's eyes.  But an obese redneck with an AR-15 screams and shouts at a group of people to take off their masks because they're acting like sheep.  He doesn't see the truth.  He's the pawn.  He's the sheep.  He's the one that can't think for himself.  I came to my own conclusions about masks because of simple physics.  

The people that can't actually think for themselves and await marching orders from twitter or facebook, they think they're leaders called upon to help this nation through a difficult time.  But they're not Wolves.  They are a Sheep in Wolf's Tactical Vest.  

Well, this redneck wears a mask, but it's not going to matter. I had to go deal with a phone issue and no less than 3 morons walked in without a mask or with it hanging from their ear, under their chin, etc. People don't give a shit. One woman really put on a show by hurriedly walking outside to rip off the mask and gasp for air, it was fucking cringeworthy. 

11 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

For now. The next virus that kills 90% of the people in infects wont be so kind.

Viruses that do that usually don’t spread because they tend to incapacitate and kill their hosts before they can infect many others. 

now a man made supergerm that does both?  That might be an issue. 

7 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Viruses that do that usually don’t spread because they tend to incapacitate and kill their hosts before they can infect many others. 

Agree it's not the norm, but if it had a really long incubation period but could still spread pre-symptoms, sort of like COVID but much deadlier, that would be pretty disastrous.

But at that point people would likely see enough "bodies in trees" that government-mandated lockdowns wouldn't be necessary, folks would do it voluntarily.

Edited by utee94

5 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Agree it's not the norm, but if it had a really long incubation period but could still spread pre-symptoms, sort of like COVID but much deadlier, that would be pretty disastrous.

But at that point people would likely see enough "bodies in trees" that government-mandated lockdowns wouldn't be necessary, folks would do it voluntarily.

Then we hope it can’t be carried by mosquito or similar. 

now a man made supergerm that does both?  That might be an issue. 

It’s going to incubate for a year. We’ll all have it. Then just start dying. You watch.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away