Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

37 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

I think we should have a National Weight Mandate too. Anyone with a BMI over 25 is forced to eat healthy and exercise until they get below 25. WHO'S IN????

We would probably halve the number of Covid deaths. On second thought we would probably reduce all our deaths prior to 70 yo.

Edited by Newdoc
English
  • Hook 'Em 3

55 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

I think we should have a National Weight Mandate too. Anyone with a BMI over 25 is forced to eat healthy and exercise until they get below 25. WHO'S IN????

you being a fatass isn't going to potentially kill someone in my family. but great analogy otherwise.

20 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

you being a fatass isn't going to potentially kill someone in my family. but great analogy otherwise.

However, if we talk about what is "overwhelming" the hospitals, cost of care, etc., it's the fatties that are doing it. Imagine what insurance rates would do if everyone had a BMI below 20. They are "hogging" more than their fair share of resources, food, medical care, etc. 

MUZZLES BEFORE MASKS

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Captainant said:

imagine being so fragile that instead of admitting that you were wrong about the efficacy of facemasks and other public health measures that you move the goalposts to "well people are fat, so public health measures wouldn't matter anyways"

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm not going to say anything about being a fatass. Because fatasses could hurt me if they tackled me from behind, could provide warmth if we have a global cooling event, and because that would be mean. Plus you never know, fatasses could rule the world one day.

Edited by Bevo
  • Haha 1

The protection a mask offers the wearer depends in part on the duration, location (for example, home vs. public), and intensity (for example, health care vs. community) of exposure; type of mask; and consistency of use. In addition, the methods used to evaluate whether masks protect wearers affect study results.

It's obvious that the VAST majority of people are not wearing the right masks, consistently or correctly and it's foolish to think otherwise. 

1 hour ago, Cheeseweasel said:

However, if we talk about what is "overwhelming" the hospitals, cost of care, etc., it's the fatties that are doing it. Imagine what insurance rates would do if everyone had a BMI below 20. They are "hogging" more than their fair share of resources, food, medical care, etc. 

MUZZLES BEFORE MASKS

spacer.png

It's just the flu

Masks don't work

Sweden did it right and is now back to normal

Virus gonna virus

We are already at herd immunity after the first wave

There won't be a second wave

It's fat people's fault

Masks aren't 100% effective 100% of the time so they're worthless

• Like 6
  • Rage+1 3

10 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

The protection a mask offers the wearer depends in part on the duration, location (for example, home vs. public), and intensity (for example, health care vs. community) of exposure; type of mask; and consistency of use. In addition, the methods used to evaluate whether masks protect wearers affect study results.

It's obvious that the VAST majority of people are not wearing the right masks, consistently or correctly and it's foolish to think otherwise. 

Huh, I wonder who could be encouraging people to be so shitty and recalcitrant about using masks... If there was some top-level national leader completely flaunting public health practices that WOULD be pretty damaging to our collective "give-a-damn", I suppose...

Edited by Captainant

1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

22 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

And.....even if the Danish study was spot on, it states the risk reduction in the wrong fucking way.

If you have a 10% chance of getting hit by a bus, and you take a measure that reduces your chance of getting hit to 5%, you didn't take a measure that only "improved your chances by 5%."  You took a measure that improved your chances -- that pre-existing thing -- by 50%.

So, a reduction of your risk from 2.1% to 1.8% reduces your risk by 14%.  That's a real-deal reduction in risk.  

I truly and completely do not fucking understand this strident, religious opposition to wearing masks in public.  It's such a minimal thing.  It's not much different than the "no shirt, no shoes, no service" signs we've lived with forever.  Yet we fight it as if it was a requirement to lop off your own arm with a chainsaw.  It's a fucking nothing, in terms of impositions....yet there's a movement that resists it as if it was an order to dissolve the republic.  It's fucking nuts.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

So much to joke about, right? 1700 new deaths today, closing in on 250,000 dead so far, and definitely going to be past 300k by Christmas! HAW HAW HAW AINT EVERYTHING SO FUNNY RIGHT NOW???

Fucks sake, wear a face mask. Don't argue that they're ineffective or encourage people not to wear them. COVID isn't going to just "go away, like a miracle". It takes everyone taking it fucking seriously and not snidely saying "BoDiEs In TrEeS" every time someone urges caution because it's going to get worse.

People like the weasel are why America is doing everything the hard way. "Just asking questions" about longstanding and proven medical and epidemiological mitigations for a respiratory viral pandemic. And when push comes to shove and they have to actually defend their shitty position, they disengage and then move the goalposts yet again.

Funny part is if you go wayyy back to the beginning of this thread, 200k deaths was the generally agreed upon measuring stick where even the conspiracy crew had to admit that this thing was a serious pandemic. Here we are at 250k and they're still making the same tired jokes trying to convince themselves and their cousin wives that they haven't been wrong literally every step of the entire way.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Funny part is if you go wayyy back to the beginning of this thread, 200k deaths was the generally agreed upon measuring stick where even the conspiracy crew had to admit that this thing was a serious pandemic. Here we are at 250k and they're still making the same tired jokes trying to convince themselves and their cousin wives that they haven't been wrong literally every step of the entire way.

Early in this, my expected number for the end of the year (it's in this thread, somewhere) was 240k.  Of course, I presumed we'd actually try to do something to mitigate this.  I was largely wrong.  I shoulda bet the over.

4 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

Y’all realize you can wear a mask and reduce your obesity and both things can reduce morbidity and mortality?

Well, yeah....when you cover your piehole, it's hard to shove stuff in your piehole.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I truly and completely do not fucking understand this strident, religious opposition to wearing masks in public.  It's such a minimal thing.  It's not much different than the "no shirt, no shoes, no service" signs we've lived with forever.  Yet we fight it as if it was a requirement to lop off your own arm with a chainsaw.  It's a fucking nothing, in terms of impositions....yet there's a movement that resists it as if it was an order to dissolve the republic.  It's fucking nuts.

I’m just spitballing here. You seen the reaction that a lot of dogs have when a person wearing a mask approaches them? It’s...not good. That’s probably because dogs are used to reading people’s intentions in their faces, and now you covered them. They have a limbic response. I think we have the same limbic response, but we explain to ourselves that masks are necessary and we accept it intellectually. But that limbic system is still there, making sure you don’t get eaten by a tiger at night. I think that recalcitrant opposition to wearing masks might be, *might* be an externalization of our limbic system freaking out because we can’t tell if an approaching human means us good or bad.

• Haha 1

Just now, XYZ said:

I’m just spitballing here. You seen the reaction that a lot of dogs have when a person wearing a mask approaches them? It’s...not good. That’s probably because dogs are used to reading people’s intentions in their faces, and now you covered them. They have a limbic response. I think we have the same limbic response, but we explain to ourselves that masks are necessary and we accept it intellectually. But that limbic system is still there, making sure you don’t get eaten by a tiger at night. I think that recalcitrant opposition to wearing masks might be, *might* be an externalization of our limbic system freaking out because we can’t tell if an approaching human means us good or bad.

Counterpoint: wearing a mask has given me the freedom to silently mutter to myself about the people I see/have to deal with.  They can't see my lips as I say

"Fucking moron"

"move, dumbass"

"Holy crap, look at that ass"

"Holy crap, look at that fucking asshole"

It's quite liberating.  My only concern is that I'm developing a habit that I'll continue when we STOP wearing masks.  And I'll end up in a fight at HEB because someone sees me mouth "move your cart, you fucking jagoff."

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

RE: the breakfast pastry story.  Has anyone been advocating that (non-n95) masks will do much for the person wearing the mask to contract the disease?  Seriously, anti-maskers LOVE to tell the 'chain link fence can't stop a mosquito ' story, but no one is making the opposite argument as far as i know.

- The whole point of masks is that they stop your disease ridden vaporized spit from traveling that far.  So say that, and hang with me for a moment, if you stood 6' away from a disease factory, the larger virus carrying droplets would not have the full force of propulsion to carry them across to other people.

- if only one person wears a mask in a room full of nonmaskers, they are proper fucked just like everyone else.  no shit.

I swear it's like a bad Heather's meme where these fucking idiot non-maskers would rather die of dehydration while sitting a room full of Perrier because someone might think they are gay for drinking it.  The struggle with peer pressure is real.

And then, to double down on stupidity and to help validate their own poor choices, someone came up with this 'virtue signaling' bullshit and the negative connotation for wearing a mask.

• Hook 'Em 3

At this point, I want a national mask mandate just to watch all the red governors squirm and file lawsuits.  I'm working from home 99% of the time at this point and don't have to interact with any other people aside from my wife who also works from home. 

The worst thing that's happened with this virus is that it's being politicized.  It's a power struggle between the big government is bad camp (republican politicians) and the listen to doctors camp (democrat politicians).  I'm a republican and vote republican but the people who represent me are just fucking lunatics with this virus.  Just wear a damn mask.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

NYC Closing schools. What do our fellow New Yorkers think about this? Ms. @PenelopeWitherspoon

Testing positivity is the absolute WORST (ok one of the worst) fucking measure to base this decision off of. I have no clue where NYC stands in regards to cases/100k or hospital admits but those as well as many other measures would be better than pos. rate to base school closures off of.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

The worst thing that's happened with this virus is that it's being  from day 1 it was politicized.  

mostly agree with the rest, but this thing was fucked up mightily before it even reached our shores with how it was assigned to one political party as a hoax on their part to hurt the other party's re-election chances.  

14 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

At this point, I want a national mask mandate just to watch all the red governors squirm and file lawsuits.  I'm working from home 99% of the time at this point and don't have to interact with any other people aside from my wife who also works from home. 

The worst thing that's happened with this virus is that it's being politicized.  It's a power struggle between the big government is bad camp (republican politicians) and the listen to doctors camp (democrat politicians).  I'm a republican and vote republican but the people who represent me are just fucking lunatics with this virus.  Just wear a damn mask.

National mask mandate will have zero effect on NE/East Texas. I believe some on here would spontaneously combust if they spent time in the area.

• Like 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away