Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

Can someone explain to me how EWY (South Korea Index fund) was in the positive for a good amount of the day.  Trending down now (as I would have expected two days ago).  Out of 10+ stocks in my portfolio, this one of the few that took the least amount of damage today.

BABA is slightly up now after being down most of the (American) day.  Go figure, it ups right after I sell off.

EWY and BABA performed the best in my portfolio and I'm trying to understand.

Edited by Hmmm

8 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

Stop with this horseshit. This is an exploding international pandemic. What do you think the CDC would have done differently had this happened 4 years which would have made us impervious to a virus that some of the most brutally authoritarian countries have not been able to control? You must believe that all international travel should be stopped because short of that, its coming here whether the president is democratic or republican.

Oh I see, no politics unless it's your side, Roger

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 18

12 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

Stop with this horseshit. This is an exploding international pandemic. What do you think the CDC would have done differently had this happened 4 years which would have made us impervious to a virus that some of the most brutally authoritarian countries have not been able to control? You must believe that all international travel should be stopped because short of that, its coming here whether the president is democratic or republican.

https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/2019/10/29/20936921/usaid-predict-pandemic-preparedness

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

Cheer up millennials, the despised boomers and us older folks will probably be be thinned out considerably, so silver linings and all that.

Can I have your Field and Stream magazines?  The barbershop I used to go to when I was a kid had a lot of 1930s and 1950s, but were missing a lot of the 40s.   

1 hour ago, Armin Tamzarian said:

I would argue that the colossal mismanagement of the Executive branch over the last four years has minimized the efficacy of all government agencies to the point that FEMA, the CDC, and others lack the necessary bureaucratic efficiency necessary to protect the population, because they're constantly undermined by political hacks. It's a big part of the story, whether you like it or not.

FEMA has never protected shit 

33 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Been following this closely for a few weeks. Still seems to me like this is being overblown, but, the next month will tell the story. Cant see this changing life "severely" as the CDC said. 

I agree that stupid people are the issue. Lived in Peru during a Cholera epidemic. Messed life up real bad. Runs on food and staples. Prices shot up. 

2 hours ago, horncyclist said:

I've been following this thread and the news developments. Reading this it kind of sunk in. Is it really a 15-20% hospitalization rate? This is going to disrupt our way of life for a year. Until the vaccine is widely available.

To put it in perspective: They have 65,000 “official” cases in Hubei.   They developed 13 makeshift hospitals to hold around 13,000 patients.   They are building another 19 hospitals, and are supposed to have around 30,000 makeshift beds just for coronavirus victims in the next week or so.    That’s way more than 15-20% of the official cases, but if you assume the Chinese are lying, it starts to fall in line with hundreds of thousands of infected.   

2 hours ago, Ellellelle said:
2 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:
I figured all the moms stopped by HEB before picking up the kiddos from school so I went to Kroger and picked up a few things we were low on. That was a good plan. Friend told me HEB was packed like there was a hurricane coming. Usually Tuesdays aren't busy because the ads come out Wednesday. I don't think people believe Larry Kudlow and the President.
It's going to be a long spring.

I'm surprised to hear this. I got attacked in a discord earlier for saying I found it worrying. People by and large still don't seemed phased. Maybe the CDC announcement has turned the light bulbs on for some.

Now that hundreds of Italians have it, that means they can (and apparently are) spreading it to other parts of Europe, which means actual white people are getting it.  

But seriously, the stock market is probably what is waking a lot of people up   

And just wait until we start getting shortages of stuff made in China.  

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Who would have guessed that economics and politics are driving decisions in all countries?

Foxconn is offering financial incentives to try and get workers back, because they are having serious problems.   And they are promising to disinfect even more thoroughly.    When you have to make promises like that, at a place where workers are crammed into what amounts to barracks, it makes workers hesitate.  

5 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Now that hundreds of Italians have it, that means they can (and apparently are) spreading it to other parts of Europe, which means actual white people are getting it.  

So you promise 5 and below is going out of business? 

2 hours ago, Ellellelle said:
2 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:
I figured all the moms stopped by HEB before picking up the kiddos from school so I went to Kroger and picked up a few things we were low on. That was a good plan. Friend told me HEB was packed like there was a hurricane coming. Usually Tuesdays aren't busy because the ads come out Wednesday. I don't think people believe Larry Kudlow and the President.
It's going to be a long spring.

Read more  

I'm surprised to hear this. I got attacked in a discord earlier for saying I found it worrying. People by and large still don't seemed phased. Maybe the CDC announcement has turned the light bulbs on for some.

Nope.  I sent a link to someone earlier regarding the CDC statement, and mentioned I was going to the store to stock up on nonperishables and whatnot.

The response?  "What's this?  That virus in China?"

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Empty shelves at Walmart, Harbor freight, & Target?

12 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Euro train system has already brought it all over the continent I’d guess. 

2 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

I’ve had a runny nose for about a week and a sore shoulder muscle, but the former is probably due to excessive nose hair and the latter to the Shingles shot yesterday.

Ha. I went and got my second shingles shot today to avoid the run on health care workers, and standing in line with the infected.

4 minutes ago, Bevo said:

You made my dead pool.

So I got that going for me.

Actually had an upper respiratory infection kick in last week. Two days of inhaling the fumes of Irish whiskey with boiling water poured on top of it fixed me right up. 

Edited by Deej
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RayDog said:

There are still no new cases in the Philippines and fewer than 100 are in hospital isolation. At this point almost all of them have tested negative. Tourists are still coming from Korea and Japan. I still see Koreans in the restaurants where I like to eat.

I had a dry cough for 6 days but now it is turning productive and I may have a mild fever. My forehead felt a little warm this morning but feels fine now, so it may be nothing. My O2 is 96%. I happened to throw a meter in my suitcase and now I am glad I have it since I can know when I might have to go to the hospital for oxygen. I had the flu a month ago and it was much worse than what I have now, so far.

I recommend that everyone get an O2 meter. They are cheap.

Have a meter thanks to a relative in the medical industry who gives out what I used to think were useless gifts.

So....did you actually see a Korean in the restaurant , or are you talking about on the menu?   After you mentioned your girlfriend has eaten bat and enjoyed it, well,  I’m never sure what to expect out of you.   

I just know that if it hits the Philippines, and we hear about an American ex-pat who has an army of teenaged midgets helping keep his compound secure from the rest of the world, we will all be thinking of you.   

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 2

Just now, atomheartbevo said:

I just know that if it hits the Philippines, and we hear about an American ex-pat who has an army of teenaged midgets helping keep his compound secure from the rest of the world, we will all be thinking of you.   

download.jpeg

• Like 2

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away