CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

Heard this on the way home this evening. As part of the Moderna mob, I found this to be reassuring about the booster:

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/12/15/1064202754/omicron-evades-moderna-vaccine-too-study-suggests-but-boosters-help

tl;dr: The addition of a Moderna booster looks to make the vaccine about as effective against Omicron as the first two doses were with Delta. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Mdhorn said:

Oh well, part of a collapsed lung later along with Xarelto for the next year I guess.  My former boss got a similar thing from her Pfizer booster--both of our clots began in our left leg.

This is just passed over like NBD

annoy GIF

blood clots in the leg is serious shit.  Unreal.

Edited by Incredulity

This is just passed over like NBD
200.gif

blood clots in the leg is serious shit.  Unreal.

It’s not passed over like it’s no big deal you ignorant moron. It’s anecdotal. It sucks for MD and his boss but the likelihood of it happening across the general population is exceptionally small.
  • Hook 'Em 6

13 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

It’s cool, now the guy is only at significant risk of a stroke.  But, as long as he doesn’t get Covid all is well.

I probably shouldn’t even respond, but one more time I’ll ask. Was anyone suggesting on this thread that people should be getting Covid boosters and flu shot together, as our unfortunate friend upthread did?

Off topic, but Springsteen's bio read like a Springsteen song- long winded and technical. Slashes was similar, in that it sounded like Slash-interesting, but a bit dumb . Hepatitis Bathtub by NOFX was disgusting, juvenile and by far the better read of the three, and unsurprisingly a very quick read. Punk rock man.

Edit: Meant to quote Jimmy

1 minute ago, DDD Dad said:

It’s not passed over like it’s no big deal you ignorant moron. It’s anecdotal. It sucks for MD and his boss but the likelihood of it happening across the general population is exceptionally small.

Yup, we are just extraordinarily lucky to have encountered both he and his boss.

It’s like winning the lottery on consecutive days.

25 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

"suckin on chili dog, baby we were born to runnnnnn"

Same thing.

Little ditty, 'bout Jab and Dyin'

Two American kids growing up in the heart land

Jab, he's gonna be a football star

Dyin's delta variant, back of Jab's car.

54 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Tylenol can cause acute liver failure in rare cases.

It's not even rare. Shit happens all the time. FAFO with acetaminophen. 

Of course most of us use it appropriately, don't OD on it an kill our livers, and reduce fever and pain effectively. 

Drugs are hard. 

Edited by Anastasis

4 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Lol why do you think he’s at risk of a stroke?

I will gladly defer to a doctor.  

My experience in dealing with both grandparents and parents has always been high alert over leg clots and stroke specifically after a medical procedure.  Are these different clots?

1 minute ago, Incredulity said:

My experience in dealing with both grandparents and parents has always been high alert over leg clots and stroke specifically after a medical procedure.  Are these different clots?

Yes clots that go to the lungs begin in veins. Clots that cause strokes begin in arteries. Very rarely people have connections between the venous arterial systems other than the lungs and they can get a stroke from a venous clot

Edit did not mean to hit submit. Covid infection (but not any of the vaccines) can result in a hypercoaguable state where a patient can get venous clots that go to the lungs and cause damage there as well as arterial clots that break loose and damage the brain (strokes), kidneys (renal failure) heart (MI), eyes (blindness) and extremities (amputation). Talk w an ICU nurse and see how common it is 

@trauma babe

Edited by Sawbonz
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

I am flippant because you are legitimately stupid. You lack critical thinking skills. Every post of yours is the equivalent of a child interrupting adults talking. What happened to MD was terrible and I hope he gets better. It’s anecdotal. There are other incidents, but compared to the billion shots already delivered, it’s minuscule. Tylenol can cause acute liver failure in rare cases. We don’t stop taking it because of this risk because it’s extremely rare. 

Thank yall for battling this stupidity that I otherwise have on ignore. User name is appropriate for this clown .
  • Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Do you think he is condition was anything but temporary? Certainly people may be at risk of clots after certain procedures, but it isn't like it is a life long complication. It sounds like mdhorn had a severe and extremely rare reaction due to a combination of factors. That is unfortunate, but is hardly something people need to worry about it. 

6 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Do you think he is condition was anything but temporary? Certainly people may be at risk of clots after certain procedures, but it isn't like it is a life long complication. It sounds like mdhorn had a severe and extremely rare reaction due to a combination of factors. That is unfortunate, but is hardly something people need to worry about it. 

All medical interactions I have been a part of have taken blood clots very seriously.  If medical professionals here have the opinion that vax associated blood clots are NBD, then I’m not going to argue that point with them.

I’m pro vax, fully vax’d and recovered from breakthrough case.  My case was very mild.

balancing my experience with a break through case and the risk of blood clots is certainly of interest.  

if I jumped the gun on the seriouness of the blood clots associated with vax then I apologize and retract(delete posts ban user)

9 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:
Welp, I feel like [mention=179]Anastasis[/mention] and [mention=121]DDD Dad[/mention] are making fun of me at my expense, and maybe I have COVID brain, but I honestly do not understand it. 
Shrugging my shoulders at you both.

Not at all. I was teasing Ana.

I actually was gonna post a Joey “how you doin’? Gif in response to your pic but didn’t want you to think I was being creepy.

Hope you get to feeling better soon. 

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Haha 2

All medical interactions I have been a part of have taken blood clots very seriously.  If medical professionals here have the opinion that vax associated blood clots are NBD, then I’m not going to argue that point with them.
I’m pro vax, fully vax’d and recovered from breakthrough case.  My case was very mild.
balancing my experience with a break through case and the risk of blood clots is certainly of interest.  

if I jumped the gun on the seriouness of the blood clots associated with vax then I apologize and retract(delete posts ban user)

Blood clots are very serious. DVT can be fatal. But they are typically one time events. In this context they also are exceedingly rare and not a reason to discourage vaccinations. That’s what we have been trying to tell you.
  • Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Getting hit by a meteorite would be a serious and likely deadly event for any person. But the chances of it happening are so remote that no one would should actually worry about it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I do not normally put photos of myself on surly, but since a lot of you are linked to my other social media sites, I am less bothered with sharing this here. This is a photo of someone with what is most likely Omicron (I have not had it sequenced, but it is the only thing that makes sense.).

20211215_231758.jpg

So, uh, where are you on the Kinsey scale? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Sawbonz said:

Yes clots that go to the lungs begin in veins. Clots that cause strokes begin in arteries. Very rarely people have connections between the venous arterial systems other than the lungs and they can get a stroke from a venous clot

Edit did not mean to hit submit. Covid infection (but not any of the vaccines) can result in a hypercoaguable state where a patient can get venous clots that go to the lungs and cause damage there as well as arterial clots that break loose and damage the brain (strokes), kidneys (renal failure) heart (MI), eyes (blindness) and extremities (amputation). Talk w an ICU nurse and see how common it is 

@trauma babe

Exactly right. Your chances of getting either venous or arterial clots from COVID are astronomically higher than having a clot from any of the vaccines or combination of vaccines. Astronomical is probably underselling it tbh. I don't have hard numbers, but at least as of October—which was the last time I had to step foot into an ICU, thank god—if you were in an Austin ICU with COVID for longer than a couple of days and had to be intubated, I would give you a 100% chance of developing some form of thrombus. Whether or not it would ever embolize is a different equation, but it's impossible in my opinion/experience to avoid experiencing coagulopathy, whether it just be a finger or toe rotting off or full-on DIC. And this is while we are pumping your body full of dangerous levels of different anticoagulants, which might cause you to hemorrhage to death out of nowhere. When we would draw blood from patients like this, it would look and move like blackstrap molasses. 

It's pretty lose-lose by the time you get to the ICU, no matter what you do.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4
  • Fuck You 1

11 hours ago, Incredulity said:

Yup, we are just extraordinarily lucky to have encountered both he and his boss.

It’s like winning the lottery on consecutive days.

If you have data showing this to be a risk at the population level, show it. Data matters, opinions don't. Further, quit skirting peoples' questions if you want to be taken seriously. 

Someone asked if there was data indicating getting the booster with a flu shot led to higher rates of problems. I'm a biology PhD, my wife is an MD, and neither of us is aware of such data, but both of us would both be highly interested in seeing it if it exists, as both of us are in a position to actually influence behavior among our local population. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

Y’all - please get boosted.

For the first time since we’ve been tracking vaxxed vs. unvaxxed inpatients, we are seeing a jump in vaxxed admissions.

Right now, of 38 COVID inpatients, 12 are vaxxed. Historically, we usually have had 3-5 vaxxed out of a total number in that range.

And 5 of those 12 have a history of previous COVID infection and are fully vaccinated.

But NONE of those 12 have had a booster.

I’m no doctor or epidemiologist but I can read numbers and see trends.

It may be these numbers are an anomaly and we’ll go back to the norm but it made me badger the people I care about to get a booster.

I have a feeling we’re about to go through another big spike. Ugh.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

@trauma babe

9 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

Blood clots are very serious. DVT can be fatal. But they are typically one time events. In this context they also are exceedingly rare and not a reason to discourage vaccinations. That’s what we have been trying to tell you.

Yeah, this is where my friend from ATL is now.  Again.  Third time she has been hospitalized for clots from Covid.  She was actually beginning to work again from home, doing online medical billing input and went back in two weeks ago now.   She's on blood thinners, but still her blood is thick like the molasses Trauma mentioned.  Another bleak Christmas for her and kids. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Ten years ago, after my second R hip replacement, I developed a PE, in spite of being on post op blood thinners.  

I still got Moderna for original vax and just received a Pfizer booster....still alive.

I take Xarelto because I've had 2 DVT instances in my legs the last 10 years - it's partly a hereditary thing, but both of those instances were after I was sick with the flu or a cold.  I've been Pfizered twice and boosted, no issues.  However, getting clots is one thing I do worry about if I actually get Covid, which seems likely now.  My brother and his wife currently have Covid (not sure of variant) - both took J&J back in March but haven't been boosted.  They are doing OK, thank goodness.  Of the other family members, I have 2 BILs that are vaxxed and have had breakthrough cases - neither hospitalized or very serious symptoms.  My anti-vax SIL, not vaccinated, got it and ended up in the hospital for 3 days.  Anecdotal but true.  So I figure I'll get a breakthrough case at some point, hopefully mild and the blood thinner I take will work.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2