CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

2 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

You ever seen the movie I was referring to (The Trouble With Harry)?  It's actually pretty good.  If you like old movies like that.

My starter wife made me watch it.  I don't remember much, we were always watching stuff like "Harold & Maude", not really my thing.

In case you thought I was kidding about the class photo (I was), here's my 3rd grade photo for reference.  Maybe I should switch avatars, but there's not much difference:

image.png.fd45e61216f7aeb45e694d06efc5a74c.png

• Haha 2

To the extent that there is an risk of clots with any of the COVID vaccines, it appears that risk is most appreciable with the adenovirus vector vaccines (AZ, JNJ).  That's why I asked MD what his primary regimen was.  The mechanism of how the adenovirus vectors trigger the clotting cascade is starting to be understood.  The capsid may interact with some platelet factors. So people who had JNJ previously getting a JNJ booster and throwing off some clots wouldn't be particularly surprising, but it is not a booster effect per se. People getting mRNA boosters after JNJ, or mRNA primary regimens + mRNA boosters have not thrown off any big safety signals that at least I am aware of. And any signals would need to be weighed against risk of clots during acute COVID and post-recovery, and community COVID rates. 

https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/sciadv.abl8213

ChAdOx1 interacts with CAR and PF4 with implications for thrombosis with thrombocytopenia syndrome

Edited by Anastasis
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

My starter wife made me watch it.  I don't remember much, we were always watching stuff like "Harold & Maude", not really my thing.

In case you thought I was kidding about the class photo (I was), here's my 3rd grade photo for reference.  Maybe I should switch avatars, but there's not much difference:

image.png.fd45e61216f7aeb45e694d06efc5a74c.png

Looks more like Bobby Brady than Beaver 😅

spacer.png

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

Yes clots that go to the lungs begin in veins. Clots that cause strokes begin in arteries. Very rarely people have connections between the venous arterial systems other than the lungs and they can get a stroke from a venous clot

Edit did not mean to hit submit. Covid infection (but not any of the vaccines) can result in a hypercoaguable state where a patient can get venous clots that go to the lungs and cause damage there as well as arterial clots that break loose and damage the brain (strokes), kidneys (renal failure) heart (MI), eyes (blindness) and extremities (amputation). Talk w an ICU nurse and see how common it is 

@trauma babe

10 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

Blood clots are of course serious business. I think the point here is they are super rare wrt a given individual’s risk of getting them from a Covid vaccine. 

9 hours ago, trauma babe said:

Exactly right. Your chances of getting either venous or arterial clots from COVID are astronomically higher than having a clot from any of the vaccines or combination of vaccines. Astronomical is probably underselling it tbh. I don't have hard numbers, but at least as of October—which was the last time I had to step foot into an ICU, thank god—if you were in an Austin ICU with COVID for longer than a couple of days and had to be intubated, I would give you a 100% chance of developing some form of thrombus. Whether or not it would ever embolize is a different equation, but it's impossible in my opinion/experience to avoid experiencing coagulopathy, whether it just be a finger or toe rotting off or full-on DIC. And this is while we are pumping your body full of dangerous levels of different anticoagulants, which might cause you to hemorrhage to death out of nowhere. When we would draw blood from patients like this, it would look and move like blackstrap molasses. 

It's pretty lose-lose by the time you get to the ICU, no matter what you do.

I realize you both are trained professionals with decades of experience in medicine and a crash course in Covid’s effects on individuals and the health care system, but come on.  Do you really expect us to believe your opinions over the hard facts being presented by @Incredulity?

A guy we know only on the Internet had a serious reaction to either the covid or flu vaccine, people.  There is no telling what the vaccine would have done to the four people I personally know who died of covid.  WAKE UP!

Edit:  I’m sorry for your health complications, @Mdhorn, and I hope you recover fully and quickly from them.

Edited by Goredho
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Dude, Carol Brady was so much hotter than June Cleaver.  I get it, June was a repressed housewife who probably had a lot of sexual tension to unfurl...but Carol was just more physically attractive and in a couple of episodes, was throwing around that liberated woman of the early 70's sass with some rather risque wardrobes for the day.  

To tie this back to Covid.  I'll wager my autographed nude photographs of Maureen McCormick that little cousin Oliver would have been "I do all my own research, thank you very much" anti-vaxxer.  Rest of the family would be pragmatic and get vaccinated, although Jan would not get for along while just because Marcia was the first girl in school to get it (at a really big assembly on stage as class president) and Jan wants to be different.  And the entire season arc would take place without anybody, including the Department of Defense, noticing that Greg Brady was totally old enough to get drafted and fight in Vietnam (but apparently gets an exemption to pursue a singing career).

7 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Dude, Carol Brady was so much hotter than June Cleaver.  I get it, June was a repressed housewife who probably had a lot of sexual tension to unfurl...but Carol was just more physically attractive and in a couple of episodes, was throwing around that liberated woman of the early 70's sass with some rather risque wardrobes for the day.  

To tie this back to Covid.  I'll wager my autographed nude photographs of Maureen McCormick that little cousin Oliver would have been "I do all my own research, thank you very much" anti-vaxxer.  Rest of the family would be pragmatic and get vaccinated, although Jan would not get for along while just because Marcia was the first girl in school to get it (at a really big assembly on stage as class president) and Jan wants to be different.  And the entire season arc would take place without anybody, including the Department of Defense, noticing that Greg Brady was totally old enough to get drafted and fight in Vietnam (but apparently gets an exemption to pursue a singing career).

Go ask Alice.  I think she'll know.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

21 minutes ago, Goredho said:

I realize you both are trained professionals with decades of experience in medicine and a crash course in Covid’s effects on individuals and the health care system, but come on.  Do you really expect us to believe your opinions over the hard facts being presented by @Incredulity?

A guy we know only on the Internet had a serious reaction to either the covid or flu vaccine, people.  There is no telling what the vaccine would have done to the four people I personally know who died of covid.  WAKE UP!

Edit:  I’m sorry for your health complications, @Mdhorn, and I hope you recover fully and quickly from them.

Thanks, I'm fine mostly aside from blood thinner and would always take the vaccine.  Apparently, you don't miss a dead spot in your lung--who knew.  Suffer complications and you're on the floor with Covid patients, where the vaccine definitely helps.  Nothing is 100 percent for everybody but I'd still risk the vaccine, just like small pox, polio, tetanus, malaria when visiting some countries, and whatever others.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Bama Chick said:

Y’all - please get boosted.

For the first time since we’ve been tracking vaxxed vs. unvaxxed inpatients, we are seeing a jump in vaxxed admissions.

Right now, of 38 COVID inpatients, 12 are vaxxed. Historically, we usually have had 3-5 vaxxed out of a total number in that range.

Just out of curiosity, are there other common factors on the vaxxed?  Age range?  Overweight?  Not trying to detract from your message at all.  

9 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Go ask Alice.  I think she'll know.

One pill gives you Covid.

And one pill gives you Cure. 

And the ones that Tucker gives you.

Don't do anything at all.  

10 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

Omicron doesn’t GAF. 

Yep and they test every two weeks--which was weekly at one time, but cases got better until Thanksgiving.  Think I was talking with SB on this the other night. Now, there is a huge spike in cases throughout the DC metro area and surrounding counties, including the Washington Football team.  I'd still do it but we're off the rails again.  And Christmas where everybody goes to a state where their family resides and then returns after NYD is only going to make things worse--for everybody. 

Now add storms everywhere.  If I were to argue, it would be on the side of caution, even though it is draining after awhile.

Just out of curiosity, are there other common factors on the vaxxed?  Age range?  Overweight?  Not trying to detract from your message at all.  

Nope. All over the map - healthy, unhealthy, underlying conditions, some with no other health issues, thin, fat, male, female, white, black, brown.

And the average age of those in ICU?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Nope. All over the map - healthy, unhealthy, underlying conditions, some with no other health issues, thin, fat, male, female, white, black, brown.

And the average age of those in ICU?

Any trend on delta VS omicron, if those data are available?

22 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

It does.  We need to be at at least 90% fully vaxxed (and fully vaxxed now means with the booster to be clear).  

I am 99.9% certain, without getting this thing sequenced, that I have Omicron.  I have what anyone else would identify as a cold.  I think I was exposed on Sunday, and I started immediately having symptoms.  Given what we have read upthread, that kind of makes sense.  The slight fever I had last night was probably my immune response.  Honestly, I have felt fine.  Have had a lot of energy.  It is kind of nuts and NOT like when other people I know have had COVID.  So if this is what this is moving to, we will be fine.   But we need the whole world to be highly vaccinated.  It gives this thing less vessels to mutate in.  

Immediately?  Does the 2-10 day window not apply so much to omicron as it did to OG, alpha, beta? 

17 minutes ago, achooloco said:

Immediately?  Does the 2-10 day window not apply so much to omicron as it did to OG, alpha, beta? 

It's my understanding, which might be erroneous, that omicron ramps up quicker than other variants.  Perhaps not "immediately", but within a day.

By recollection, many viruses -- HIV, common cold, whatever -- can produce almost an immediate set of symptoms once contracted.  They may resolve, get worse, whatever, but I don't think it's all that unusual that someone might start to feel a little off soon after contracting covid.  I'll defer to the docs, though, this is just hazy memory, mostly related to HIV.

• Hook 'Em 2

43 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

It's my understanding, which might be erroneous, that omicron ramps up quicker than other variants.  Perhaps not "immediately", but within a day.

By recollection, many viruses -- HIV, common cold, whatever -- can produce almost an immediate set of symptoms once contracted.  They may resolve, get worse, whatever, but I don't think it's all that unusual that someone might start to feel a little off soon after contracting covid.  I'll defer to the docs, though, this is just hazy memory, mostly related to HIV.

This is my understanding of it as well.  Also, I tested negative on Friday.  

• Hook 'Em 4

Just now, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

This is my understanding of it as well.  Also, I tested negative on Friday.  

Stepson is home from work since yesterday morning, fever, sweats, headache, mild cough that resolved.  Tested negative yesterday afternoon.  I told him to park his ass in his bedroom for the foreseeable future.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Keep in mind some of those aren’t so much symptoms of the virus, but rather symptoms of an immune system firing up. I would guess degree of exposure and prior familiarity somewhat drives how insane our immune systems get in responding.

13 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

Read something recently (maybe posted here?) that Omicron replicates 70x faster than delta but resides more in the sinus area versus the lungs hence the more mild symptoms

Not the sinuses. Resides more in bronchial tissue...trachea (windpipe) and the major divisions off it. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Lobo said:

June also speaks jive.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Pods said:

Not the sinuses. Resides more in bronchial tissue...trachea (windpipe) and the major divisions off it. 

huh...I've been sick for a few days. Started out as a sore throat, then moved up into my sinuses for a couple days, but I've had a dry cough since Sunday night that was pretty bad until today...Like sore ribs, feeling like I'd been beaten up bad. I'm well past the worst of it, but I just assumed it was a cold. I'm vaxed but not boosted. Might get an at-home test tomorrow. I skipped a work dinner and anything that required me to be around people and have pretty much lived in the bedroom or my office. Probably just a cold but worth at least an at home test? 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

huh...I've been sick for a few days. Started out as a sore throat, then moved up into my sinuses for a couple days, but I've had a dry cough since Sunday night that was pretty bad until today...Like sore ribs, feeling like I'd been beaten up bad. I'm well past the worst of it, but I just assumed it was a cold. I'm vaxed but not boosted. Might get an at-home test tomorrow. I skipped a work dinner and anything that required me to be around people and have pretty much lived in the bedroom or my office. Probably just a cold but worth at least an at home test? 

Yes. Absolutely.  I thought mine was just a cold, and it was COVID.  

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

breakthrough in late Oct( i assume Delta)  I probably wouldn't have tested if my whole family hadn't already tested positive.  When I lost taste and smell it would have became obvious, but mild cough and headache were my symptoms(prior to loss of smell and taste).

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Ha. You’re going to test positive for Covid and only have like 3 days of quarantine left because your symptoms started so long ago. 

40 minutes ago, staboner said:

sorry if missed - having any respritory distress at all? 

hope you are on the up and up

I wear a Whoop fitness strap, and all my measurables have been off this week (to be fair, I'm been taking Mucinex and Nyquil and cough syrup which might explain part of it) my resting heartrate has been above average, my respiratory rate has been high but I've never felt out of breath, and my heart rate variability has been down. Tuesday was the worst, my recovery score was a 6 out of 100 Tuesday night/Wednesday morning. It's been trending up since then, and everything is back in normal range now, but my recovery scores are still in the 30s. I normally average in the 70s, unless I had a really hard mountain bike ride the day before. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I wear a Whoop fitness strap, and all my measurables have been off this week (to be fair, I'm been taking Mucinex and Nyquil and cough syrup which might explain part of it) my resting heartrate has been above average, my respiratory rate has been high but I've never felt out of breath, and my heart rate variability has been down. Tuesday was the worst, my recovery score was a 6 out of 100 Tuesday night/Wednesday morning. It's been trending up since then, and everything is back in normal range now, but my recovery scores are still in the 30s. I normally average in the 70s, unless I had a really hard mountain bike ride the day before. 

Is any of this English?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1