CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

2 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

I mean, maybe.  I haven't been inside such establishments all that much for about two years. 

I guess I shouldn’t have said all. Most don’t even have any masking messaging.  But back when it was widespread, I always saw wear it in, take it off when seated. 

I guess there are some places/states where you slide it down to take a bit/sip, then put it back up but I have not had that pleasure. 

Dude, really?
So people sitting around a bar eating, other in the area eating food.  All with masks off.  But oh, they put it back on when they're done.  That will make a difference?  Explain.

10% effective preventative measure is still better than 0%, particularly in aggregate if everyone would abide by those guidelines. We’re not aiming for perfection here, as it’s clearly not attainable, but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t bother trying at all.

Bathroom in particular is a place in a restaurant I’d want everyone masked up because of the small space/poor ventilation aspect.

Viral Load is also a consideration, wherein having at least some of an infected persons coughs/shedding occurring behind a mask could reduce exposure risks to those in those areas **at those specific times** (waitstaff, passerby’s)

Besides…. Why not? Is wearing a mask really that big of a deal at this point, even if it’s only slightly effective? It’s such a MINOR inconvenience, especially given the circumstances and risk/reward calculation.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, Lurch said:

10% effective preventative measure is still better than 0%, particularly in aggregate if everyone would abide by those guidelines. We’re not aiming for perfection here, as it’s clearly not attainable, but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t bother trying at all.

Bathroom in particular is a place in a restaurant I’d want everyone masked up because of the small space/poor ventilation aspect.

Viral Load is also a consideration, wherein having at least some of an infected persons coughs/shedding occurring behind a mask could reduce exposure risks to those in those areas **at those specific times** (waitstaff, passerby’s)

Besides…. Why not? Is wearing a mask really that big of a deal at this point, even if it’s only slightly effective? It’s such a MINOR inconvenience, especially given the circumstances and risk/reward calculation.

Sorry dude, but you didn’t answer my question at all.  Is the spread limited by how long I do or don’t nurse my beer?  

I mentioned nothing about being inconvenienced.  

Sorry dude, but you didn’t answer my question at all.  Is the spread limited by how long I do or don’t nurse my beer?  

I mentioned nothing about being inconvenienced.  

The spread is limited if you wear the mask when you walk in, visit the restroom, wait for food/drink, wait for check, and walk out. Yes, it will make a difference during those periods of time (thus my 10% estimate)

12 minutes ago, Lurch said:

The spread is limited if you wear the mask when you walk in, visit the restroom, wait for food/drink, wait for check, and walk out. Yes, it will make a difference during those periods of time (thus my 10% estimate)

I guess I'd like to see numbers and rationale on that.  The doctor in this thread seems to agree with me, btw.    There is no percentage you can actually accurately assign, correct?  Again, a room full of people all who have done some physical exertion.  Some sitting at the bar for hours.  Others maybe in and out.  It just seems silly to say that somehow there is a reduction in harm based on an incredibly high amount of arbitrary decisions.  

23 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

I guess I'd like to see numbers and rationale on that.  The doctor in this thread seems to agree with me, btw.    There is no percentage you can actually accurately assign, correct?  Again, a room full of people all who have done some physical exertion.  Some sitting at the bar for hours.  Others maybe in and out.  It just seems silly to say that somehow there is a reduction in harm based on an incredibly high amount of arbitrary decisions.  

I actually agree with you that it likely doesn't help much if at all. I don't think we have any real good evidence on this point. That said, I do it and hope that it helps somewhat. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

This isn't necessarily aimed directly at you, as I like you as a poster.  This hopefully comes across as non-combative.  I see the 'let the insurance companies get 'em' idea tossed about a lot online (well, reddit anyway).  That idea doesn't sit well with me.  I don't feel like I get to decry what I see as the evils of the medical insurance industry while at the same time cheering that same industry on to 'sick 'em.'   From bankruptcy due to cancer to people who die because they can't afford insulin our system is broken.  Broken for middle class and below at least.  While I loathe and detest the anti-vaxx movement, I have to fall back on 'two wrongs don't make a right.'

i meant more among the line of non vaxd being charged more, like smokers 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Thanks.  If it stays like this, it is a mild inconvenience.  It sucks I had to cancel a lot of stuff, but hey, it is what it is.  I’m not overly optimistic about my trip in January as I could totally see the Uk and France shutting things down in Jan,  it I have to try and hold out hope.

Glad you have a mild case. Just got back from Manhattan and with the Christmas crowds probably 100% chance I was exposed. Feel great so far

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Hammerin Hank said:

The unvaccinated in our country are unvaccinated by choice.  Is the rest of the world’s unvaccinated population choosing not to vaccinate, or are limited by availability?

Doesn’t matter in the quoted discussion.  If our 3% chose to do it, the worldwide pandemic isn’t over. 

2 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

Doesn’t matter in the quoted discussion.  If our 3% chose to do it, the worldwide pandemic isn’t over. 

We may not be able to end the worldwide pandemic, but we could probably end it in the USA.  Then we might be able to share our vaccine supply with the rest of the world.  Which might end the worldwide pandemic.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Hammerin Hank said:

We may not be able to end the worldwide pandemic, but we could probably end it in the USA.  Then we might be able to share our vaccine supply with the rest of the world.  Which might end the worldwide pandemic.

It isn’t just supply to the rest of the world.  There is also how you actually get the doses in arms.  There needs to be a Global task force to achieve this.  The WHO should be doing it, but I don’t think a lot of people trust them given their deference to China.   The problem is, the natural leaders (US and EU) are having their own surges to deal with.

• Hook 'Em 1

I haven't eaten indoors at a restaurant for almost 2 years.  I mask up to run in and get a to-go order, and figure that's about the same risk as H-E-B.  
My wife did go to lunch with her parents last week at Chinatown, and said she masked up.  I trust her, she's pretty committed to the process, but obviously there is plenty of mask-off time there.  Sometimes you just have to (or elect to) take the bigger risk.

Christ on a stick, little Jimmy. The next time you eat in a restaurant, in 2027, you’re going to realize how stupid this looks. Get the fuck out there

Wife got boosted at the Nola airport today before we took off.  They had a whole set up with an easy to use database and it took less than 10 minutes.

She’d been trying to get an appt in texas for the past 3 weeks. When Louisiana has their shit together better than Texas does, that says something. 
Good to know. I'm flying in/out of NOLA a couple times/mo. Did she have a choice on what vaccine to take for the booster?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Here we go again. 

Sure seems like Omicron doesn't GAF.  Vaccine mandate.  Mask mandate.  Probably the same or worse on other campuses that don't have surveillance testing.  Wonder if sending everyone home is the right call as far as stopping the spread.  I would say no.

From the article:

Cornell University reported 903 cases of Covid-19 among students between December 7-13, and a "very high percentage" of them are Omicron variant cases in fully vaccinated individuals, according to university officials

The school has a mandatory vaccination policy for students, with exemptions for religious or medical issues. All unvaccinated students and many vaccinated students are required to take part in surveillance testing. Mask wearing indoors is compulsory.
Employees must be vaccinated by January 18. Ninety-seven percent of people on campus are fully vaccinated, the university says on its website.

1 hour ago, Bama Chick said:

Fuck being a number two seed, man.

Is it because Alabama did more tests or because they're a blue, urban state?  Waiting to hear from the resident MAGA folks on their explanation for this. 

2 hours ago, Irwin F Fletcher said:

Good to know. I'm flying in/out of NOLA a couple times/mo. Did she have a choice on what vaccine to take for the booster?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Yep, they had all 3.

Go down to the bottom level in between doors 2 and 3.  They are set up with like 3 stations and it's all very easy and quick.

Edited by Biff Tannen
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

giphy.gif

No for real…get the fuck out there

Is there a reason you care whether or not I dine in at restaurants?  It's not like I've been a big restaurant patron over the last 15-20 years, anyway, given 7 family members plus various hangers on living under my roof for a long time.  I cook.  I'm not paying for anything but date night with my wife when I can cook most of it just as well for 25% of the cost. 

Sorry to disappoint you, ace.

It's been 10 years since Albert Pujols conducted a NASA experiment off Brad  Lidge in the NLCS | MLB.com

7 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Speaking of sports, it seems the NFL has had 75 players test positive this week.  From my understanding many of those would be asymptomatic as the NFL proactively tests.   That kind of thing always makes me wonder how many have had it and will never know.

NBA cancelling games too.

5 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Speaking of sports, it seems the NFL has had 75 players test positive this week.  From my understanding many of those would be asymptomatic as the NFL proactively tests.   That kind of thing always makes me wonder how many have had it and will never know.

I've gotten pushback saying this, but I believe an insanely high percentage of kids in school have gotten it and had no idea.  I can't imagine that a single kid that has gone to school the last two years hasn't been exposed multiple times.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Don Johnson said:

I've gotten pushback saying this, but I believe an insanely high percentage of kids in school have gotten it and had no idea.  I can't imagine that a single kid that has gone to school the last two years hasn't been exposed multiple times.

Based on my experience with my elementary age daughter testing positive and exhibiting no symptoms I could see this as well.  

Just now, Don Johnson said:

Based on my experience with my elementary age daughter testing positive and exhibiting no symptoms I could see this as well.  

15 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

I am 100% in favor of the NFL forcing teams to forfeit over covid diagnoses.  It's probably the only thing that might actually get through the 40% of our country's atrophied brains that vaccination is important.

NOTE:  I'm not hopeful.  It might convince 1% of the Cletuses, but the rest will just rant about freedumb.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I am 100% in favor of the NFL forcing teams to forfeit over covid diagnoses.  It's probably the only thing that might actually get through the 40% of our country's atrophied brains that vaccination is important.

NOTE:  I'm not hopeful.  It might convince 1% of the Cletuses, but the rest will just rant about freedumb.

94.3% of NFL players are vaccinated.  I'm not so sure that punishing teams for their players testing positive despite doing the right thing and getting vaccinated is the best way to convince anyone to get vaccinated.

IMO, we just need to stop testing vaccinated players.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Is there a reason you care whether or not I dine in at restaurants?

Yes. It’s called “insecurity.” Deep down, the idiots know they aren’t smart. If smart people are cautious and don’t engage in the same reckless bullshit the dummies do, it makes the latter feel bad about their own dumb choices and that causes them to lash out. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

The struggle is real.  Some people just can't accept that I won't risk my health to eat a fucking Chili's or Applebee's or Cracker Barrel or Golden Corral.  

I did the math.  The risk of exposure is low.  The risk of illness is lower.  The risk of death is nearly non-existent.  But maybe I just don't feel like eating at iHOP.  Can you accept that?  

16 minutes ago, Lobo said:

The struggle is real.  Some people just can't accept that I won't risk my health to eat a fucking Chili's or Applebee's or Cracker Barrel or Golden Corral.  

I did the math.  The risk of exposure is low.  The risk of illness is lower.  The risk of death is nearly non-existent.  But maybe I just don't feel like eating at iHOP.  Can you accept that?  

I wouldn't eat at any of those places if the only way to prevent COVID was eating there. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

Do college teams test this year?  I haven't heard of any players missing a game this year, much less a team not being able to play.

Yes, 44 vaccinated players at Cal tested and they postponed the USC game. Finally the UCSF head AIDS researcher got fed up and wrote a shots-fired op-ed slamming the university’s approach.

25 minutes ago, Lobo said:

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e479u1zlpu8xv7vfgdb85

Not me.  But there was some debate earlier in the thread (last page IIRC) about people giving people shit for not going out to eat more frequently during Covid-19.  Tacitly indicating they were living in fear.  

14 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Tacitly indicating they were living in fear.

Actually he was overt in his indication that JJ was living in fear. 

Frankly, IMPO it should be an individuals choice at this point.  Covid is endemic, we all need to learn to live with it.  "Defeat the virus", is extremely bad strategy and messaging at this point.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Can you post?  It's behind a paywall.

Quick ctrl+a, copy before the paywall striked:

Spoiler

We need to start thinking differently about COVID outbreaks, says UCSF’s Monica Gandhi

Monica Gandhi

Nov. 11, 2021Updated: Nov. 15, 2021 10:48 a.m.

Comments

Cal’s home football game Saturday against USC was postponed after 44 people involved with the UC Berkeley team tested positive for the coronavirus.

Santiago Mejia/The Chronicle

Despite the team having a 99% vaccination rate, according to school officials, Cal football will not take the field this weekend against USC after at least 44 students and staff tested positive for COVID-19.

Although we do not know all the details of symptoms nor vaccinations of the team, the cancellation of a highly anticipated game like this one due to COVID-19 has led to online speculation — fueled by scary headlines — about the dwindling efficacy of vaccination and a return to the conditions that led to last year’s deadly winter surge.

But, in truth, clusters of mostly asymptomatic cases among the vaccinated, like what we’re seeing at Cal, are neither cause for concern, nor unexpected with a virus that will become endemic. They are an emerging part of our new normal. And we need to start recognizing — and more importantly — speaking about them as such.

Vaccines changed the game and have proven themselves to be highly effective in preventing serious illness and death from COVID-19. Because of that, what we need now is a shift in the way those in the media and in prominent public health positions think about asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic cases.

Prior to the availability of the vaccines, we employed a variety of techniques to control the virus: masks, distancing, ventilation, mass asymptomatic testing (because individuals could spread the virus when asymptomatic). But things have changed. In areas of high vaccination, mass asymptomatic testing no longer needs to done for those who are vaccinated, according to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidelines. Even testing for coronavirus exposure should be confined to individuals who were in close contact of a symptomatic person.

Vaccines reduce transmission. Those who are vaccinated are less likely to get infected in the first place, and, if they do, are less likely to spread the disease. A study of symptomatic delta variant breakthroughs from Singapore showed that the viral load by a value on the PCR test (cycle threshold, a test that should not be used to make clinical decisions) may start as high, but quickly comes down in the vaccinated (compared to the unvaccinated). This makes sense, since the immune response in the vaccinated can take a moment to kick in and fight the virus. Moreover, another study shows that delta symptomatic breakthroughs among health care workers in the Netherlands had a lower ability to be cultured, which means the virus is less likely to be infectious and spread to others. Data from careful contact tracing studies in Singapore, England, Canada and various summer camps also show that asymptomatic vaccinated people are unlikely to transmit to other vaccinated individuals.

It’s essential to remember that we only need to take emergency medical or public health measures if there are clinical implications in play. An asymptomatic vaccinated person is not clinically unwell and vaccines reduce symptoms if a breakthrough does occur. Moreover, if vaccines reduce the chance of being infected (vaccinated people are 13 times less likely to be infected than unvaccinated) an asymptomatic vaccinated person should not be tested without a direct exposure from someone who is ill.

Finally, asymptomatic positive tests add to case counts. This has consequences for our daily lives, since public health officials in the Bay Area (except for Marin County) appear to be using this metric to determine the necessity of restrictions such as masks, instead of a more appropriate index like COVID hospitalizations and vaccination rates.

Young people have been restricted during the pandemic in the United States — despite being less at risk for severe illness — in order to protect others. We owe it to them to return their lives to normal, especially when that was the promise of public health officials in the context of vaccine mandates at many colleges and universities. Football (an outside activity) was shown to be safe and lead to no transmissions in a study from last year, prior to vaccinations and in areas of high community transmission. It is too late for this Cal-USC football game, but we need to think of outbreaks differently from now on in the context of the vaccines and live our lives accordingly.

Monica Gandhi is an infectious diseases specialist and professor of medicine at UCSF.

Author’s update 11/15: Details of this particular outbreak are still emerging in terms of symptomatic and asymptomatic infections, so the points raised in this piece are not about this particular outbreak, but about a shift in thinking reflected by the CDC tabout how we cannot reach herd immunity with this virus. We therefore have to start thinking about outbreaks differently.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Quick ctrl+a, copy before the paywall striked:

Hide contents

We need to start thinking differently about COVID outbreaks, says UCSF’s Monica Gandhi

Monica Gandhi

Nov. 11, 2021Updated: Nov. 15, 2021 10:48 a.m.

Comments

Cal’s home football game Saturday against USC was postponed after 44 people involved with the UC Berkeley team tested positive for the coronavirus.

Santiago Mejia/The Chronicle

Despite the team having a 99% vaccination rate, according to school officials, Cal football will not take the field this weekend against USC after at least 44 students and staff tested positive for COVID-19.

Although we do not know all the details of symptoms nor vaccinations of the team, the cancellation of a highly anticipated game like this one due to COVID-19 has led to online speculation — fueled by scary headlines — about the dwindling efficacy of vaccination and a return to the conditions that led to last year’s deadly winter surge.

But, in truth, clusters of mostly asymptomatic cases among the vaccinated, like what we’re seeing at Cal, are neither cause for concern, nor unexpected with a virus that will become endemic. They are an emerging part of our new normal. And we need to start recognizing — and more importantly — speaking about them as such.

Vaccines changed the game and have proven themselves to be highly effective in preventing serious illness and death from COVID-19. Because of that, what we need now is a shift in the way those in the media and in prominent public health positions think about asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic cases.

Prior to the availability of the vaccines, we employed a variety of techniques to control the virus: masks, distancing, ventilation, mass asymptomatic testing (because individuals could spread the virus when asymptomatic). But things have changed. In areas of high vaccination, mass asymptomatic testing no longer needs to done for those who are vaccinated, according to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidelines. Even testing for coronavirus exposure should be confined to individuals who were in close contact of a symptomatic person.

Vaccines reduce transmission. Those who are vaccinated are less likely to get infected in the first place, and, if they do, are less likely to spread the disease. A study of symptomatic delta variant breakthroughs from Singapore showed that the viral load by a value on the PCR test (cycle threshold, a test that should not be used to make clinical decisions) may start as high, but quickly comes down in the vaccinated (compared to the unvaccinated). This makes sense, since the immune response in the vaccinated can take a moment to kick in and fight the virus. Moreover, another study shows that delta symptomatic breakthroughs among health care workers in the Netherlands had a lower ability to be cultured, which means the virus is less likely to be infectious and spread to others. Data from careful contact tracing studies in Singapore, England, Canada and various summer camps also show that asymptomatic vaccinated people are unlikely to transmit to other vaccinated individuals.

It’s essential to remember that we only need to take emergency medical or public health measures if there are clinical implications in play. An asymptomatic vaccinated person is not clinically unwell and vaccines reduce symptoms if a breakthrough does occur. Moreover, if vaccines reduce the chance of being infected (vaccinated people are 13 times less likely to be infected than unvaccinated) an asymptomatic vaccinated person should not be tested without a direct exposure from someone who is ill.

Finally, asymptomatic positive tests add to case counts. This has consequences for our daily lives, since public health officials in the Bay Area (except for Marin County) appear to be using this metric to determine the necessity of restrictions such as masks, instead of a more appropriate index like COVID hospitalizations and vaccination rates.

Young people have been restricted during the pandemic in the United States — despite being less at risk for severe illness — in order to protect others. We owe it to them to return their lives to normal, especially when that was the promise of public health officials in the context of vaccine mandates at many colleges and universities. Football (an outside activity) was shown to be safe and lead to no transmissions in a study from last year, prior to vaccinations and in areas of high community transmission. It is too late for this Cal-USC football game, but we need to think of outbreaks differently from now on in the context of the vaccines and live our lives accordingly.

Monica Gandhi is an infectious diseases specialist and professor of medicine at UCSF.

Author’s update 11/15: Details of this particular outbreak are still emerging in terms of symptomatic and asymptomatic infections, so the points raised in this piece are not about this particular outbreak, but about a shift in thinking reflected by the CDC tabout how we cannot reach herd immunity with this virus. We therefore have to start thinking about outbreaks differently.

struck?

2 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Frankly, IMPO it should be an individuals choice at this point.  Covid is endemic, we all need to learn to live with it.  "Defeat the virus", is extremely bad strategy and messaging at this point.

Good point.  It's like "War on Drugs" or "End the Common Cold!"   Ain't gonna happen, no sense in even dangling that possibility to the public.  Knock on wood, I've never had any side effects after a flu shot.  It does pain me as a father to see my little girls after they get their back-to-school shots/flu shots though.  But we'll likely settle into a groove of a "Covid Booster" shot once a year.  And yeah, if we're smart---we'll get it the Thursday or Friday of the 1st round of the NCAA basketball tournament so we have an excuse to sit on the sofa, feeling crappy, but taking in 14 hours of hoops action.  

I'll leave it to the experts to discuss if it's even possible to rid this thing from our planet.  But I'm skeptical.  What I would like to see though is people doing all they can to NOT transfer it to one another until we get over this next hump and get this thing down to a manageable "Bad Flu"...27 months after I was promised it was "just a bad flu."  I can accept the flu, I can get a shot for the flu, what happened with this thing was largely unnecessary.  

Hallelujah.  Holy Shit.  Where's the Applebee's?  

4 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

struck?

probably.

ETA: but maybe not?

struck

English

Verb

(head)
  • (strike) (delete)
  • (strike) (hit)

Derived terms

* awe-struck * horror-struck * love-struck * star-struck English irregular simple past forms English irregular past participles

Statistics

Anagrams

striked

English

Verb

(head)
  • (nonstandard) (strike)
  • * {{quote-book, year=1848, author=Captain Frederick Marryat, title=The King's Own, chapter=, edition= citation
  • , passage=Howsomever, a bullet passes between my arm--just here, and my side, and striked him dead upon the spot. }}

See also

* struck

Anagrams

Edited by Anastasis

9 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Actually he was overt in his indication that JJ was living in fear. 

Maybe all true now, but it didn't have to be. 

This became a self-fulfilling prophecy thanks to the fuckwads at the top who misled the public and the fuckwads at the bottom who believed/embraced the fuckwads at the top.

• Hook 'Em 6

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Maybe all true now, but it didn't have to be. 

This became a self-fulfilling prophecy thanks to the fuckwads at the top who misled the public and the fuckwads at the bottom who believed/embraced the fuckwads at the top.

disagree.

Covid variants have surged in countries with populations with the highest reasonably possible vax rates.  It was never going to be, "defeated".  

4 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

I always thought there would have been a spoof of that "You do math, I'll do..." ad on SNL, where the Chef peeks out of the kitchen with a nametag that says "Alfredo" and grins suggestively.  Played by the great Bobby Moynihan with a fake mustache.  But alas, the Cleos continue to evade me.

Edited by Lobo