CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

In the 'this could be very good news' category.

Pfizer on Tuesday said final analysis of its antiviral Covid-19 pill still showed near 90% efficacy in preventing hospitalizations and deaths in high-risk patients, and recent lab data suggests the drug retains its effectiveness against the fast-spreading omicron variant of the coronavirus.

The U.S. drugmaker last month said the oral medicine was around 89% effective in preventing hospitalizations or deaths when compared to placebo based on interim results in around 1,200 people. The data disclosed on Tuesday includes an additional 1,000 people.

Nobody in the trial who received the Pfizer treatment died, compared with 12 deaths among placebo recipients.

The Pfizer pills are taken with the older antiviral ritonavir every 12 hours for five days beginning shortly after onset of symptoms. If authorized, the treatment will be sold as Paxlovid.

Pfizer also released early data from a second clinical trial showing that the treatment reduced hospitalizations by around 70% in around 600 standard-risk adults.

“It’s a stunning outcome,” Pfizer Chief Scientific Officer Mikael Dolsten said in an interview.

“We’re talking about a staggering number of lives saved and hospitalizations prevented. And of course, if you deploy this quickly after infection, we are likely to reduce transmission dramatically,” Dolsten said.

Dolsten said he expects authorization for use in high-risk individuals from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and other regulatory agencies soon. He does not believe an FDA advisory panel meeting will be needed.

“We’re in very advanced regulatory dialogues with both Europe and the UK, and we have dialogues with most of the major regulatory agencies globally,” Dolsten said.

There are currently no oral antiviral treatments for Covid authorized in the United States.

Rival Merck has asked for emergency use authorization of its antiviral pill molnupiravir. But that drug only reduced hospitalizations and deaths in its clinical trial of high-risk patients by around 30%.

Some scientists have also raised safety concerns about the potential for birth defects from the Merck drug, as well as worries that it could cause the virus to mutate.

Pfizer’s drug works differently. It is part of a class of drugs called protease inhibitors currently used to treat HIV, hepatitis C and other viruses.

Dolsten said recent laboratory testing showed that activity against the protease of the omicron variant is as “good as basically any SARS-COV-2 variant of concern.”

The company has said it can have 180,000 treatment courses ready to ship this year and plans to produce at least 80 million more in 2022.

Dolsten said Pfizer is looking to expand that output further as new variants, like the newly-discovered omicron, could push the need for antivirals substantially higher. Current vaccines appear to be less effective at preventing infection with omicron.

Pfizer, which makes one of the leading Covid-19 vaccines with German partner BioNTech, has agreed to allow generic manufacturers to supply versions of the drug to 95 low- and middle-income countries through a licensing agreement with international public health group Medicines Patent Pool (MPP). However, Dolsten said that for next year he expects the drug will be mainly produced by Pfizer.

The U.S. government has already secured 10 million courses of the Pfizer drug for $5.29 billion.

https://thehill.com/changing-america/well-being/longevity/583782-new-study-finds-serious-covid-19-infection-could-be

Wonder if anti-vaxx crowd would take it.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, 4th&Five said:

Most of those illnesses don't have a vaccine though.

I think people should get vaccinated.  

I think there has been ample opportunity for people to get vaccinated.  Condescension, brow beating and mandates aren't going to fill the gap, unless you get to a full blown- no exceptions mandate.  Which isn't going to happen.

24 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

That's interesting data, but they need appropriate control groups.  The all-cause 30+d mortality rate @52.2% in their hospitalized COVID cases seems improbably high.  I have a look at a certain COVID+ hospitalized population.  At high level, we see fairly similar mortality rates after recovery from COVID compared to matched controls (quite sick individuals, typically hospitalized with a CV event); but the time to death is much shorter for the recovered COVID cases.  Consistent pattern in non-hospitalized cases, but mortality rate about 1/3rd of the hospitalized cases. But our mortality rates are much much much lower than what they are showing in that study.  There is some weird selection issue with who was getting tested at that hospital during the timeframe they analyzed (up to 06/2020).  

Edited by Anastasis
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Anastasis said:

He is indeed upon review a complete and total dumbass. 

Wonder why the Atlantic would choose to amplify that. I agree that an interesting story could be written exploring the different approaches people are taking across the spectrum. 

It’s a pretty good juxtaposition to the absurd alarmism of this article they published last month. Flippant attitude aside, I do see what he is getting at. As a Bay Area resident who has traveled back home to Texas several times over the past two year, my anecdotal sense has been we’ve had a very different COVID experience than Texas (the outdoor masking example he gave was a  good one). My wife and I also have plenty of friends and colleagues who fit the profile of the Berkeley guy in the article I linked, who have been so bubbled in over the past two years that they don’t understand that they are at the extreme end of things (or that anyone outside of certain major urban areas takes this seriously either). 

Edited by We’reTexas
  • Like 1

In the 'this could be very good news' category.

Pfizer on Tuesday said final analysis of its antiviral Covid-19 pill still showed near 90% efficacy in preventing hospitalizations and deaths in high-risk patients, and recent lab data suggests the drug retains its effectiveness against the fast-spreading omicron variant of the coronavirus.
The U.S. drugmaker last month said the oral medicine was around 89% effective in preventing hospitalizations or deaths when compared to placebo based on interim results in around 1,200 people. The data disclosed on Tuesday includes an additional 1,000 people.
Nobody in the trial who received the Pfizer treatment died, compared with 12 deaths among placebo recipients.
The Pfizer pills are taken with the older antiviral ritonavir every 12 hours for five days beginning shortly after onset of symptoms. If authorized, the treatment will be sold as Paxlovid.
Pfizer also released early data from a second clinical trial showing that the treatment reduced hospitalizations by around 70% in around 600 standard-risk adults.
“It’s a stunning outcome,” Pfizer Chief Scientific Officer Mikael Dolsten said in an interview.
“We’re talking about a staggering number of lives saved and hospitalizations prevented. And of course, if you deploy this quickly after infection, we are likely to reduce transmission dramatically,” Dolsten said.
Dolsten said he expects authorization for use in high-risk individuals from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and other regulatory agencies soon. He does not believe an FDA advisory panel meeting will be needed.
“We’re in very advanced regulatory dialogues with both Europe and the UK, and we have dialogues with most of the major regulatory agencies globally,” Dolsten said.
There are currently no oral antiviral treatments for Covid authorized in the United States.
Rival Merck has asked for emergency use authorization of its antiviral pill molnupiravir. But that drug only reduced hospitalizations and deaths in its clinical trial of high-risk patients by around 30%.
Some scientists have also raised safety concerns about the potential for birth defects from the Merck drug, as well as worries that it could cause the virus to mutate.
Pfizer’s drug works differently. It is part of a class of drugs called protease inhibitors currently used to treat HIV, hepatitis C and other viruses.
Dolsten said recent laboratory testing showed that activity against the protease of the omicron variant is as “good as basically any SARS-COV-2 variant of concern.”
The company has said it can have 180,000 treatment courses ready to ship this year and plans to produce at least 80 million more in 2022.
Dolsten said Pfizer is looking to expand that output further as new variants, like the newly-discovered omicron, could push the need for antivirals substantially higher. Current vaccines appear to be less effective at preventing infection with omicron.
Pfizer, which makes one of the leading Covid-19 vaccines with German partner BioNTech, has agreed to allow generic manufacturers to supply versions of the drug to 95 low- and middle-income countries through a licensing agreement with international public health group Medicines Patent Pool (MPP). However, Dolsten said that for next year he expects the drug will be mainly produced by Pfizer.
The U.S. government has already secured 10 million courses of the Pfizer drug for $5.29 billion.

https://thehill.com/changing-america/well-being/longevity/583782-new-study-finds-serious-covid-19-infection-could-be

Yes they would if they feel sick enough. Anyone can talk shit until they get punched in the mouth, then shit gets real.

1 hour ago, Incredulity said:

I think there has been ample opportunity for people to get vaccinated.  Condescension, brow beating and mandates aren't going to fill the gap, unless you get to a full blown- no exceptions mandate.  Which isn't going to happen.

Actually, the mandates in NY do not allow exemptions except for health reasons.  And so far, all upheld by SCOTUS.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Incredulity said:

The odds of dying within a year after being hospitalized for any illness are exponentially higher than if you aren't hospitalized.

News at 11.

What a stupid fucking point. “Good news, guys. It turns out lots of things can cause brain injuries. So there’s no reason not to smash our own heads with a claw hammer!”

• Hook 'Em 2

24 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

In addition to his hatred for sliced bread that he mentions in the article, here are some fun old tweets from the Atlantic tradcath loser:

I do agree with his hatred for carpet over wood floors, though.

He also hates no fault divorce, which is a really fucking weird thing to care about at all. Obviously, it is really important that we identify the one person in a relationship that is responsible for it ending. It can never be mutual. All of this is to say that he definitely frequents the Red Pill on reddit. 

3 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

He also hates no fault divorce, which is a really fucking weird thing to care about at all. Obviously, it is really important that we identify the one person in a relationship that is responsible for it ending. 

HINT:  it's always the woman's fault.

1 hour ago, Born to Run said:

Yes they would if they feel sick enough. Anyone can talk shit until they get punched in the mouth, then shit gets real.

Makes much more sense to undergo a $700+ course of antiviral treatment than...checks notes...a free vaccine.

Also to those conspiracy theorists, which of these two options do you think Pfizer/Big Pharma would prefer for its bottom line (considering the significantly lower price point to insurance and government for the vaccine)?

2 hours ago, Incredulity said:

Yeah I'm Gonna Have To Disagree With You [Gary Cole Bill Lumbergh Office  Space] ... | Gfycat

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

It's nice to see UT-Austin has 3 suspected cases of omicron.  Glad my daughter is done with finals.

This fucking thing will never end, because our country has a termnial case of the stoopids.

I understand the frustration, but it's everywhere. High vax, low vax, young, old, etc. The only places that have been able to clamp down on it are those that essentially close the borders. Even then, the get popped when they open up at all.

Obviously we can -- and should -- be doing better regarding serious illness/death. But if we're talking cases, then nobody is getting out of this without cases unless there comes a vaccine that doesn't get broken through. 

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

It's nice to see UT-Austin has 3 suspected cases of omicron.  Glad my daughter is done with finals.

This fucking thing will never end, because our country has a termnial case of the stoopids.

My daughter is in contact tracing from what I am guessing is one of those cases.  Someone from UT actually called her yesterday to get info.  She was exposed during a final on Friday.  She is boosted and was wearing a mask and so was the person who apparently tested positive.  The student who was positive doesn't have any symptoms.  

So far my daughter has tested negative on a home test.  

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Born to Run said:

anti vaxx crowd isn't changing until we let insurance go no lube at all on them

Cases should not be driving decision making.  It should be hospitalizations.  Unfortunately, with this newest variant, we do not know enough, so it feels like folks are being VERY conservative by using cases.  If Omicron proves to be less serious, then cases won't mean shit. Then again, just go get vaxxed and boosted.  Stop being fucking stupid, folks.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Anastasis said:

That's interesting data, but they need appropriate control groups.  The all-cause 30+d mortality rate @52.2% in their hospitalized COVID cases seems improbably high.  I have a look at a certain COVID+ hospitalized population.  At high level, we see fairly similar mortality rates after recovery from COVID compared to matched controls (quite sick individuals, typically hospitalized with a CV event); but the time to death is much shorter for the recovered COVID cases.  Consistent pattern in non-hospitalized cases, but mortality rate about 1/3rd of the hospitalized cases. But our mortality rates are much much much lower than what they are showing in that study.  There is some weird selection issue with who was getting tested at that hospital during the timeframe they analyzed (up to 06/2020).  

I appreciate the knowledge drop.

2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

anti vaxx crowd isn't changing until we let insurance go no lube at all on them

This isn't necessarily aimed directly at you, as I like you as a poster.  This hopefully comes across as non-combative.  I see the 'let the insurance companies get 'em' idea tossed about a lot online (well, reddit anyway).  That idea doesn't sit well with me.  I don't feel like I get to decry what I see as the evils of the medical insurance industry while at the same time cheering that same industry on to 'sick 'em.'   From bankruptcy due to cancer to people who die because they can't afford insulin our system is broken.  Broken for middle class and below at least.  While I loathe and detest the anti-vaxx movement, I have to fall back on 'two wrongs don't make a right.'

• Hook 'Em 3

Now for my last bump for the day.  I was at the ski resort bar this afternoon because for me, everything is back on the table.  Vaxxed, recently got over Covid.  But I still couldn't help but notice the conflicting signals in place.  According to signage all over the bar, keep your masks on unless you're eating or drinking.  So dutifully buzzed snow sports enthusiasts take off their masks to eat and drink.  Then put them back on to go the restroom.  Or to converse with the other mask-less who  are still finishing their meals.  

What's the freaking point?  At that stage, not to sound like a covidiot, why even ask folks to wear masks?  I honestly think it would be better expressed if they just said "Hey, if you're concerned, you should probably just not come in.  Otherwise, hope you're vaxxed.  Enjoy!"

• Hook 'Em 4

10 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Now for my last bump for the day.  I was at the ski resort bar this afternoon because for me, everything is back on the table.  Vaxxed, recently got over Covid.  But I still couldn't help but notice the conflicting signals in place.  According to signage all over the bar, keep your masks on unless you're eating or drinking.  So dutifully buzzed snow sports enthusiasts take off their masks to eat and drink.  Then put them back on to go the restroom.  Or to converse with the other mask-less who  are still finishing their meals.  

What's the freaking point?  At that stage, not to sound like a covidiot, why even ask folks to wear masks?  I honestly think it would be better expressed if they just said "Hey, if you're concerned, you should probably just not come in.  Otherwise, hope you're vaxxed.  Enjoy!"

The Office Thank You GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

What’s the conflicting signal? Mask up when reasonable to reduce potential for transmission while doing so. It’s pretty basic stuff.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

This isn't necessarily aimed directly at you, as I like you as a poster.  This hopefully comes across as non-combative.  I see the 'let the insurance companies get 'em' idea tossed about a lot online (well, reddit anyway).  That idea doesn't sit well with me.  I don't feel like I get to decry what I see as the evils of the medical insurance industry while at the same time cheering that same industry on to 'sick 'em.'   From bankruptcy due to cancer to people who die because they can't afford insulin our system is broken.  Broken for middle class and below at least.  While I loathe and detest the anti-vaxx movement, I have to fall back on 'two wrongs don't make a right.'

If it helps those that previously were blind to the issue to suddenly see how it impacts them as well, then it would appear two wrongs can indeed make a right in this scenario.

See also Newsomes gun law suggestion.

3 minutes ago, Lurch said:

What’s the conflicting signal? Mask up when reasonable to reduce potential for transmission while doing so. It’s pretty basic stuff.

Dude, really?

So people sitting around a bar eating, other in the area eating food.  All with masks off.  But oh, they put it back on when they're done.  That will make a difference?  Explain.

5 minutes ago, Lurch said:

If it helps those that previously were blind to the issue to suddenly see how it impacts them as well, then it would appear two wrongs can indeed make a right in this scenario.

See also Newsomes gun law suggestion.

Edit:  I disagree.  My previous way of putting this sounded asshole-ish.  Sorry.

Edited by MC Fresh Breath

2 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I just took a home test this afternoon and tested positive.  I’m triple vaxxed (Pfizer…booster received on Nov 22).  I mask up in public spaces 99% of the time, but a lot of others don’t.  It’s basically a mild cold for me (which is what prompted me to test since I had tested negative as recently as Friday afternoon), but having to self-isolate for the next 10 days does suck.  I’ll test again at day 5, day 7, and day 10.

Damn that sucks, sorry to hear that. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I just took a home test this afternoon and tested positive.  I’m triple vaxxed (Pfizer…booster received on Nov 22).  I mask up in public spaces 99% of the time, but a lot of others don’t.  It’s basically a mild cold for me (which is what prompted me to test since I had tested negative as recently as Friday afternoon), but having to self-isolate for the next 10 days does suck.  I’ll test again at day 5, day 7, and day 10.

Sorry you got it.  Hope it stays mild as hell.  My taste and smell still fluctuate from regular to non-existent.  But at this point I'm grateful to know I won't be heading to any ICU due to Covid.  And I'm grateful that you won't either.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

I agree that in restaurants or bars having masks on when getting up and moving from your table to the bathroom and back and from the table to the front door is pretty fucking stupid. If you’re eating and drinking, you are potentially spreading or contracting. If you’re worried about it or immunocompromised, you probably should avoid those situations.

I agree.  Once you make that decision to walk in the restaurant sit down and eat, you are pretty much pot committed. 

We still don't do a lot of indoor eating out, always try to do outdoor weather permitting. But when we do indoor it's pretty much a committed decision once you walk in the door. If I am picking something up to go I may or may not mask while I run in to grab the order, depends on what the scene in and whether I am planning to grab a drink at the bar while I wait for the order.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Damn that sucks, sorry to hear that. 

4 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Sorry you got it.  Hope it stays mild as hell.  My taste and smell still fluctuate from regular to non-existent.  But at this point I'm grateful to know I won't be heading to any ICU due to Covid.  And I'm grateful that you won't either.

Thanks.  If it stays like this, it is a mild inconvenience.  It sucks I had to cancel a lot of stuff, but hey, it is what it is.  I’m not overly optimistic about my trip in January as I could totally see the Uk and France shutting things down in Jan,  it I have to try and hold out hope.

Thanks.  If it stays like this, it is a mild inconvenience.  It sucks I had to cancel a lot of stuff, but hey, it is what it is.  I’m not overly optimistic about my trip in January as I could totally see the Uk and France shutting things down in Jan,  it I have to try and hold out hope.

Based on your travel thread, I think that loss of smell or taste would be an ass kicking to your style. Hope it doesn't come to that. 

Edited by Anastasis
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Based on your travel thread, I think that loss of smell or taste would be an ass kicking to your style. Hope it doesn't come to that. 

So far, I don’t have that symptom.  Right now, I have what feels like a very mild cold.  I’m sneezing, have some congestion, though that is much better now, and a phlegmy cough.  I did have a slight fever at 99, but I have not been fatigued.  

10 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I agree.  Once you make that decision to walk in the restaurant sit down and eat, you are pretty much pot committed. 

We still don't do a lot of indoor eating out, always try to do outdoor weather permitting. But when we do indoor it's pretty much a committed decision once you walk in the door. If I am picking something up to go I may or may not mask while I run in to grab the order, depends on what the scene in and whether I am planning to grab a drink at the bar while I wait for the order.

I haven't eaten indoors at a restaurant for almost 2 years.  I mask up to run in and get a to-go order, and figure that's about the same risk as H-E-B.  

My wife did go to lunch with her parents last week at Chinatown, and said she masked up.  I trust her, she's pretty committed to the process, but obviously there is plenty of mask-off time there.  Sometimes you just have to (or elect to) take the bigger risk.

23 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Dude, really?

So people sitting around a bar eating, other in the area eating food.  All with masks off.  But oh, they put it back on when they're done.  That will make a difference?  Explain.

I agree it’s dumb, but isn’t that the messaging at all bars and restaurants?