CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

2 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

FYI, the test is 24 hours before departure.

I was recently doing similar math between testing when I land in the UK and having to test 48 hours before for France.  Fortunately, it is 48 hours before departure and not 48 hours before arrival, so I can thread that needle provided shit doesn't go sideways and everything shuts down in the interim.

1 hour ago, lemonlime said:

I thought it just had to be the day before departure, and not 24 hours?  Which, well just fuck.  Besides the ridiculousness of this when omnicron's been here for awhile, I have my first international trip in 2 years next week.  Between the restrictions going, and then coming back in, with a departure at 5 am and a connection, fingers crossed.

It's day before - not 24 hours.

From CDC:

All air passengers 2 years or older with a flight departing to the US from a foreign country at or after 12:01am EST (5:01am GMT) on December 6, 2021, are required show a negative COVID-19 viral test result taken no more than 1 day before travel, or documentation of having recovered from COVID-19 in the past 90 days, before they board their flight.

The 1-day period is 1 day before the flight’s departure. The Order uses a 1-day time frame instead of 24 hours to provide more flexibility to the air passenger and aircraft operator. By using a 1-day window, test acceptability does not depend on the time of the flight or the time of day that the test sample was taken.

For example, if your flight is at 1pm on a Friday, you could board with a negative test that was taken any time on the prior Thursday.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Potential new band name.  Red Hot Chili Butthole Surfers.

What I got I bet I gave it to you mama

What I got I bet I gave it you papa

Shit it away shit it away shit it away now.  I can't tell if I'm vaccinated proper....

Edited by MC Fresh Breath
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Two weeks since onset of symptoms.  Taste started coming back yesterday.  Not all the flavors, but many.  I could distinguish peanut butter for example.  Smells are overall faint, and many still not registering.  But when I went into my favorite coffee shop this morning, I could smell the coffee.  That was really nice.

Now that your sense of smell/taste is coming back, I'll tell you a story about one of my coworkers who got COVID 11 months ago, pretty sure she's the one that gave it to her neighbor.  They both recovered, but the neighbor still hasn't gotten her sense of taste or smell back.  So congrats!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Now that your sense of smell/taste is coming back, I'll tell you a story about one of my coworkers who got COVID 11 months ago, pretty sure she's the one that gave it to her neighbor.  They both recovered, but the neighbor still hasn't gotten her sense of taste or smell back.  So congrats!

Probably because she was given covid 11, not 19.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Death.  Cult.  Someone refute this.  They are a death cult.  There is nothing more to say.

You fuckwits are obviously completely holed up in your pandemic bunkers.

most of the world has moved on.  Have you been anywhere besides your aunts thanksgiving in the last 6 months.

I know the fe fe’s are going to be hurt and the negs will rage.  Take off your fucking pajamas lemming and get out of the basement 

• Fuck You 7

• The governors of Florida, Iowa, Kansas and Tennessee signed laws in recent weeks that allow workers to collect unemployment benefits if fired for refusing to comply with a Covid-19 vaccine mandate.
  • Lawmakers in other Republican-led statehouses may do the same next year. 
  • The Biden administration’s national vaccine mandate for large employers is being challenged in court

This runs counter to typical state rules, which generally disallow aid if workers are fired for failing to adhere to certain workplace policies, whether related to vaccine requirements or mandatory drug tests, for example, according to labor experts.

6 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

most of the world has moved on.  Have you been anywhere besides your aunts thanksgiving in the last 6 months.

I know the fe fe’s are going to be hurt and the negs will rage.  Take off your fucking pajamas lemming and get out of the basement 

Lol. I’ve been flying since mid 2020. But keep on with yourself. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bolverk said:

It's not performative if it works. From the study that seems to have set you off:

Your coming in here with personal attacks on those of us who are critical of a governor who suppressed lifesaving information is a blatant display of the spiteful idiocy rotting your broken brain. It also makes you sound a whole lot like my fucking knobhead buddy who just died of Covid this past Tuesday.

Congratulations on thoroughly embarrassing yourself.

Personal attack:  you’re a fucking moron

reality: no one is complying

Surly Leftist: we need more mandates

image.jpeg.f595fb21d189fc21382ea9984bd1d9df.jpeg

• Fuck You 12

3 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Where masks are mandated, the vast majority do comply

Well that neither of us have peer-reviewed scientific studies associated with our experience the last month lets agree it’s anecdotal.

my experience is outside of gov’t enforced mask mandates( airport or other fed answering location) its close to 50/50 and declining.  So, “no one” is admittedly hyperbole.

• Fuck You 3

Well that neither of us have peer-reviewed scientific studies associated with our experience the last month lets agree it’s anecdotal.
my experience is outside of gov’t enforced mask mandates( airport or other fed answering location) its close to 50/50 and declining.  So, “no one” is admittedly hyperbole.

Vaccine mandates, when they aren’t thwarted by Republican dipshit governors, have been shown to be highly effective in securing compliance.

See United Airlines, etc.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Incredulity said:

Ummm.... I don't think so. Most of the world seems settled to also to hunker down. Australia, Austria, and Germany seem to be taking crazy pills.

Since May 2021, people living in counties that voted heavily for Donald Trump during the last presidential election have been nearly three times as likely to die from COVID-19 as those who live in areas that went for now-President Biden.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/12/05/1059828993/data-vaccine-misinformation-trump-counties-covid-death-rate?utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, Incredulity said:

I’ve been to more than 10 college and NFL games this year and masking is below 30% in the stadiums.  

Fully vax’d.  Vax and booster to your heart’s content.  

newsflash:  you aren’t going  to cajole anyone else to vax.  Move the fuck on

That's cool. Keep dying.

Since May 2021, people living in counties that voted heavily for Donald Trump during the last presidential election have been nearly three times as likely to die from COVID-19 as those who live in areas that went for now-President Biden. That's according to a new analysis by NPR that examines how political polarization and misinformation are driving a significant share of the deaths in the pandemic.

----

The trend was robust, even when controlling for age, which is the primary demographic risk of COVID-19 mortality. The data also reveal a major contributing factor to the death rate difference: The higher the vote share for Trump, the lower the vaccination rate.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/12/05/1059828993/data-vaccine-misinformation-trump-counties-covid-death-rate

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

This stupidity displayed in this post is quite impressive
Let’s break it down 
Mandates don’t work because they’ve never stop the people who don’t follow mandates. Which isn’t true. See below. (And you know the past 100 years of evidence)
https://www.npr.org/2021/10/07/1043332198/employer-vaccine-mandates-success-workers-get-shots-to-keep-jobs
Maybe, you meant, mandates don’t work against extreme outliers that will never follow the law. True. Mandates will not stop everyone. It won’t catch The Bandit, The Duke Boys, and contestants in the Cannonball Run. But as already proven, they will get that 59% full vaxxed up to 95%. That’s why we require every child to get vaccines to attend school and college. All the fucking weird sovereign citizen psychos can stay at home and be homeschooled. 

Honestly I don’t know why I bothered responding in good faith to him.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

Let’s break it down 
Mandates don’t work because they’ve never stop the people who don’t follow mandates. Which isn’t true. See below. (And you know the past 100 years of evidence)
https://www.npr.org/2021/10/07/1043332198/employer-vaccine-mandates-success-workers-get-shots-to-keep-jobs
Maybe, you meant, mandates don’t work against extreme outliers that will never follow the law. True. Mandates will not stop everyone. It won’t catch The Bandit, The Duke Boys, and contestants in the Cannonball Run. But as already proven, they will get that 59% full vaxxed up to 95%. That’s why we require every child to get vaccines to attend school and college. All the fucking weird sovereign citizen psychos can stay at home and be homeschooled. 

The funny thing is….even his speed limit analogy was stupid, and actually proves that laws work.

Areas with lower speed limits actually do see most drivers driving at a lower speed than otherwise, and reduces the frequency and even more so, the severity of accidents, all things being equal (cars are much safer now than they were in the 1970s, so that has dramatically reduced deaths per mile, regardless of speed limit). Bottom line….a 55 mph speed limit actually reduces negative outcomes overall compared to a 70 mph speed limit.

An argument of “but some people will really speed!” is a logical fallacy. Most people will reduce their speed, having an overall positive effect.

Vaccine mandates, where imposed (countries, workplaces) have worked, dramatically increasing vax rates. Same with mask mandates.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Let’s break it down 

But what you don’t understand is that even if you can get Bo and Luke, Coy and Vance will rise up and take their place!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

Good early news re omicron...Most of the early hospitalized COVID cases were picked up due to high surveillance rates in people being admitted for other reasons, many were asymptomatic, and associated with shorter LOS.  

https://www.statnews.com/2021/12/04/omicron-covid19-south-africa-data/

The South African Medical Research Council posted a report Saturday of the early experiences at several hospitals in Gauteng Province, where Omicron was first spotted in the country. Strikingly, most hospitalized patients who tested positive for Covid did not need supplemental oxygen. Few developed Covid pneumonia, few required high-level care, and fewer still were admitted to intensive care.

Experts caution against reading too much into these early reports, which are based on small numbers of patients. They suggest it will take time for the true profile of the Omicron variant to come into focus. But several note that while early discussions about previous variants of concern have hinged on trying to figure out whether they caused more severe disease, with Omicron the questions relate to whether it is associated with milder infections.

The report included an analysis of 42 Covid patients in the hospital on Dec. 2 which showed that most were actually hospitalized for other medical reasons; their infections were only detected because hospitals are testing all incoming patients for Covid. Many did not have respiratory symptoms. And the average length of hospital stay was 2.8 days, far shorter than the average of 8.5 days recorded in the region over the past 18 months, the report said.

Edited by Anastasis
  • Hook 'Em 5