CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

31 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

It is going to be interesting to see how this looks going forward.  Will covid just be something we live with for the foreseeable future?  Will we need semi-annual boosters for the rest of our lives?  Will those who refuse just continue to die off?  

Yes, yes & yes.

3 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

the pfizer booster has knocked my wife on her ass. i think it's just one of those things where you gotta wait the 48 hours to get right.

The self-reporting data shows side effects are about 30% more common for women. Makes me hopeful, because I'm getting my Pfizer booster on Monday.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

the pfizer booster has knocked my wife on her ass. i think it's just one of those things where you gotta wait the 48 hours to get right.

It’s completely random.  I was fine on the first two Moderna shots, caught a very mild case of covid shortly after my second shot (thank you science), and the booster knocked me on my ass for a day.

9 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

The self-reporting data shows side effects are about 30% more common for women. Makes me hopeful, because I'm getting my Pfizer booster on Monday.

Coworker and I got full third moderna. Knocked us down for a day 

Tow other coworkers got half moderna for third. Just a headache. 

of course, I can now download 4K movies in seconds. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Coworker and I got full third moderna. Knocked us down for a day 

Tow other coworkers got half moderna for third. Just a headache. 

of course, I can now download 4K movies in seconds. 

I got a full load too the third time. Felt terrible for about 48 hours. Then developed really bad hives 8 days later after the Louisiana game over Labor Day weekend. Now I’m not saying the vaccine caused it, but I think my immune system was revved up and then the insane heat pushed it over the edge. I still have very sensitive skin now. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Haven't been boosted, still trying to find the window where I can afford to feel like shit.  (Cue "guess how shitty you'll feel with covid?".)

Is there a choice on whether I take a full load or a half load?

Wait, wut?

Anyway, Moderna.  Cute little coed, pledged Tri-Delt but decided it wasn't for her.

18 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Haven't been boosted, still trying to find the window where I can afford to feel like shit.  (Cue "guess how shitty you'll feel with covid?".)

Is there a choice on whether I take a full load or a half load?

Wait, wut?

Anyway, Moderna.  Cute little coed, pledged Tri-Delt but decided it wasn't for her.

You will get the half dose booster Moderna unless you request a “third shot” Moderna because of [insert made up reason]. Some of us assholes went before the green light and said light me up Doc

• Hook 'Em 1

You will get the half dose booster Moderna unless you request a “third shot” Moderna because of [insert made up reason]. Some of us assholes went before the green light and said light me up Doc

I recall some studies showed smaller boosters are more effective. More not necessarily better when it comes to vaccine boosters.

38 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Anyone credible given any guidance on when to boost after a covid infection?  In the absence of info on this, I’m going to assume my recent infection 9 months after vaccination was essentially my booster and that I am probably good for some months.

Curious about the opinions from some experts on here as well.  I've seen everything from 90 days after infection to two weeks.  I have also read some anecdotal stories on r/COVID19positive from some pour souls who were caught it again 90 days after their first infection.    

I'm also starting to wonder about the booster purpose in general.  Is it the same 'keep you off the ventilator' purpose as the first vaccines were?   Because if it is just to 'keep you from catching it' then given my experiences that doesn't have much of a chance. 

Edited by MC Fresh Breath

WHO calls special meeting to discuss new Covid variant found in South Africa with ‘a large number of mutations’

The World Health Organization is monitoring a new variant with numerous mutations to the spike protein, scheduling a special meeting Friday to discuss what it may mean for vaccines and treatments, officials said Thursday.

The variant, called B.1.1.529, has been detected in South Africa in small numbers, according to the WHO.

“We don’t know very much about this yet. What we do know is that this variant has a large number of mutations. And the concern is that when you have so many mutations, it can have an impact on how the virus behaves,” Dr. Maria Van Kerkhove, WHO’s technical lead on Covid-19, said in a Q&A that was livestreamed on the organization’s social media channels.

The monitoring of the new variant comes as Covid cases surge around the world heading into the holiday season, with the WHO reporting hot spots in all regions and particularly in Europe.

South African scientists have detected more than 30 mutations to the spike protein, the part of the virus that binds to cells in the body, South African scientist Tulio de Oliveira said in a media briefing hosted by the South Africa Department of Health on Thursday.

The B.1.1.529 variant contains multiple mutations associated with increased antibody resistance, which may reduce the effectiveness of vaccines, along with mutations that generally make it more contagious, according to slides he presented at the briefing. Other mutations in the new variant haven’t been seen until now, so scientists don’t yet know whether they are significant or will change how the virus behaves, according to the presentation.

The variant has spread rapidly through the Gauteng province, which contains the country’s largest city of Johannesburg. 

“Especially when the spike happens in Gauteng, everybody travels in and out of Gauteng from all corners of South Africa. So it’s a given that in the next few days, the beginning of rising positivity rate and numbers is going to be happening. It’s a matter of days and weeks before we see that,” South Africa Minister of Health Joe Phaahla said during the briefing.

The variant has also been detected in Botswana and Hong Kong, Phaahla said. 

“Right now, researchers are getting together to understand where these mutations are in the spike protein and the furin cleavage site, and what that potentially may mean for our diagnostics or therapeutics and our vaccines,” Van Kerkhove said. She said there are fewer than 100 full genome sequences of the new mutation.

The virus evolution working group will decide if B.1.1.529 will become a variant of interest or a variant of concern, after which the WHO would assign the variant a Greek name, Van Kerkhove said.

“It’s really important that there are no knee-jerk responses here, especially with relation to South Africa,” Dr. Mike Ryan, executive director of the WHO’s emergencies program, said.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/11/25/who-calls-special-meeting-to-discuss-new-covid-variant-from-south-africa-with-large-number-of-mutations.html

Curious about the opinions from some experts on here as well.  I've seen everything from 90 days after infection to two weeks.  I have also read some anecdotal stories on r/COVID19positive from some pour souls who were caught it again 90 days after their first infection.    
I'm also starting to wonder about the booster purpose in general.  Is it the same 'keep you off the ventilator' purpose as the first vaccines were?   Because if it is just to 'keep you from catching it' then given my experiences that doesn't have much of a chance. 

Booster drives rejuvenation of antibodies (which will reduce likelihood of catching it while they persist) and also accounts for Delta strain not covered by initial dose.

Get the booster regardless, IMO
  • Hook 'Em 1

More details from BBC: https://www.bbc.com/news/health-59418127

In a media briefing Prof de Oliveira said there were 50 mutations overall and more than 30 on the spike protein, which is the target of most vaccines and the key the virus uses to unlock the doorway into our body's cells.

Zooming in even further to the receptor binding domain (that's the part of the virus that makes first contact with our body's cells), it has 10 mutations compared to just two for the Delta variant that swept the world.

This level of mutation has most likely come from a single patient who was unable to beat the virus.

A lot of mutation doesn't automatically mean: bad. It is important to know what those mutations are actually doing.

But the concern is this virus is now radically different to the original that emerged in Wuhan, China. That means vaccines, which were designed using the original strain, may not be as effective.

Some of the mutations have been seen before in other variants, which gives some insight their likely role in this variant.

For example N501Y seems to make it easier for a coronavirus to spread. There are others in there that make it harder for antibodies to recognise the virus and might make vaccines less effective, but there are others that are completely new.

Prof Richard Lessells, from the University of KwaZulu-Natal in South Africa, said: "They give us concern this virus might have enhanced transmissibility, enhanced ability to spread from person to person, but might also be able to get around parts of the immune system."

This variant seems to give quirky results (known as an S-gene dropout) in the standard tests and that can be used to track the variant without doing a full genetic analysis.

That suggests 90% of cases in Gauteng may already be this variant and it "may already be present in most provinces" in South Africa.

But this does not tell us whether it spreads faster than Delta, is any more severe or to what extent it can evade the immune protection that comes from vaccination.

It also does not tell us how well the variant will spread in countries with much higher vaccination rates than the 24% of South Africa that is fully vaccinated, although large numbers of people in the country have had Covid.

3 hours ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Yeah, I don’t think anything keeps you from catching it, you just have a more or less aggressive immune response depending on how novel the virus is to your immune system with a booster meant to keep your immune system capable of a relatively high response to the coronavirus.  Variants that may be significantly “different” from what the vaccine or booster targets will probably always be a potential threat.  Even if people are not getting seriously ill, I don’t see how vaccinated infections won’t provide an opportunity for genetic replication errors and mutations of the virus.

1 hour ago, Goredho said:

Yeah, I don’t think anything keeps you from catching it, you just have a more or less aggressive immune response depending on how novel the virus is to your immune system with a booster meant to keep your immune system capable of a relatively high response to the coronavirus.  

Right.  I guess I don't know enough about someone who was vaccinated like myself and caught the virus.  Meaning, how long will my immune system be boosted already?   But then I thought, well, if 90 days, that puts me February.   And coincidentally enough if I was counting 6 months from last dose, that would also put me in February.  So maybe that's my answer.  At this point definitely asking PCP of course.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

That will just add fuel to the fire to the dumb asses.  “It’s the vaccine that is causing these mutations!”

One of the articles I read said that it emerged in an HIV patient.  Which makes sense.  Prolonged infection, unable to clear the virus, mutation breeding ground. The UK one I think also emerged from immunocompromised individuals. 

They gave my wife a 3rd Moderna for whatever reason, but it kicked her ass. Fortunately for just a day this time rather than two with the second shot. I got Pfizer and felt nothing.

18 hours ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Same as any vaccine, it’s not a force field, but it improves your immune response. So- you’re less likely to get infected, and you’ll be less sick for a shorter time if you do, and you’re less likely yo spread the virus to others. 

11 hours ago, Anastasis said:

The real question is how transmissible it is and if it can out compete delta.

Looks like it has been named "Nu"

42a9f06e-14a0-40ac-8e36-e7ee89ef9769_tex

I think it’s possible that Delta, as bad as it was, had the benefit by being so dominant that it suppressed the emergence of more exotic or dangerous but less transmissible variants. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Same as any vaccine, it’s not a force field, but it improves your immune response. So- you’re less likely to get infected, and you’ll be less sick for a shorter time if you do, and you’re less likely yo spread the virus to others. 

Thanks, I knew it wasn’t a force field.  I especially know that now.  Barring a different directive from my PCP, I will be waiting until February for it, at minimum.

I keep reading “less likely to get infected. “  That one honestly doesn’t play well with me anymore.   The less likely to spread/go to the hospital kind of does.   

Thanks, I knew it wasn’t a force field.  I especially know that now.  Barring a different directive from my PCP, I will be waiting until February for it, at minimum.
 I keep reading “less likely to get infected. “  That one honestly doesn’t play well with me anymore.   The less likely to spread/go to the hospital kind of does.   

What’s the downside of just getting it?

I think for me and @MC Fresh Breath, we just in the last 2-3 weeks have had a covid infection after previously being vaxxed.  We are being given advice by the CDC to get boosters 6 months after vaccination, but I have yet to see guidance on boosters post infection.  I don’t know if there’s a downside to just getting a booster a couple weeks after having a real covid infection.  We’re asking if anyone has heard credible guidance on boosters post covid.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

When I reflect on the fact that Rome spent a lot more time as an empire than as a republic, I haz a sad.

And they didn't have covid to fuck things up.

Do you even Plague of Justinian, bro?

And we're no Rome.  Rome had their shit way more together than we do, relative to the context/time.

• Hook 'Em 1