CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

11 minutes ago, Shaddie said:

Jebus can somebody post it without subscription?

Here is the source for the information (no subscription required, yet) -

https://www.dshs.texas.gov/news/releases/2021/20211108.aspx

https://www.dshs.texas.gov/immunize/covid19/data/Cases-and-Deaths-by-Vaccination-Status-11082021.pdf (pdf of study)

Key Findings:

1. From September 4 through October 1, 2021:

• Unvaccinated people were 13 times more likely to become infected with COVID-19 than fully vaccinated people.
  • Unvaccinated people were 20 times more likely to experience COVID-19-associated death than fully vaccinated people.

2. Vaccination had a strong protective effect on infections and deaths among people of all ages. The protective impact on infections was consistent across adult age groups and even greater in people ages 12 to 17 years. The protective impact on COVID-19 deaths, which was high for all age groups, varied more widely. In the September time frame, unvaccinated people in their 40s were 55 times more likely to die from COVID-19 compared with fully vaccinated people of the same age. Unvaccinated people aged 75 years and older were 12 times more likely to die than their
vaccinated counterparts.

3. Overall, regardless of vaccination status, people in Texas were four to five times more likely to become infected with COVID-19 or suffer a COVID-19-associated death while the Delta variant was prevalent in Texas (August 2021) compared with a period before the Delta variant became prevalent (April 2021).

Edited by washparkhorn
  • Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Here is the source for the information (no subscription required, yet) -

https://www.dshs.texas.gov/news/releases/2021/20211108.aspx

https://www.dshs.texas.gov/immunize/covid19/data/Cases-and-Deaths-by-Vaccination-Status-11082021.pdf (pdf of study)

Key Findings:

1. From September 4 through October 1, 2021:

• Unvaccinated people were 13 times more likely to become infected with COVID-19 than fully vaccinated people.
  • Unvaccinated people were 20 times more likely to experience COVID-19-associated death than fully vaccinated people.

2. Vaccination had a strong protective effect on infections and deaths among people of all ages. The protective impact on infections was consistent across adult age groups and even greater in people ages 12 to 17 years. The protective impact on COVID-19 deaths, which was high for all age groups, varied more widely. In the September time frame, unvaccinated people in their 40s were 55 times more likely to die from COVID-19 compared with fully vaccinated people of the same age. Unvaccinated people aged 75 years and older were 12 times more likely to die than their
vaccinated counterparts.

3. Overall, regardless of vaccination status, people in Texas were four to five times more likely to become infected with COVID-19 or suffer a COVID-19-associated death while the Delta variant was prevalent in Texas (August 2021) compared with a period before the Delta variant became prevalent (April 2021).
Thanks 

Interesting study with implications wrt long covid. 

Association of Self-reported COVID-19 Infection and SARS-CoV-2 Serology Test Results With Persistent Physical Symptoms Among French Adults During the COVID-19 Pandemic

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/fullarticle/2785832

Key Points

Question  Are the belief in having had COVID-19 infection and actually having had the infection as verified by SARS-CoV-2 serology testing associated with persistent physical symptoms during the COVID-19 pandemic?

Findings  In this cross-sectional analysis of 26 823 adults from the population-based French CONSTANCES cohort during the COVID-19 pandemic, self-reported COVID-19 infection was associated with most persistent physical symptoms, whereas laboratory-confirmed COVID-19 infection was associated only with anosmia. Those associations were independent from self-rated health or depressive symptoms.

Meaning  Findings suggest that persistent physical symptoms after COVID-19 infection should not be automatically ascribed to SARS-CoV-2; a complete medical evaluation may be needed to prevent erroneously attributing symptoms to the virus.

Abstract

Importance  After an infection by SARS-CoV-2, many patients present with persistent physical symptoms that may impair their quality of life. Beliefs regarding the causes of these symptoms may influence their perception and promote maladaptive health behaviors.

Objective  To examine the associations of self-reported COVID-19 infection and SARS-CoV-2 serology test results with persistent physical symptoms (eg, fatigue, breathlessness, or impaired attention) in the general population during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Design, Setting, and Participants  Participants in this cross-sectional analysis were 26 823 individuals from the French population-based CONSTANCES cohort, included between 2012 and 2019, who took part in the nested SAPRIS and SAPRIS-SERO surveys. Between May and November 2020, an enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay was used to detect anti–SARS-CoV-2 antibodies. Between December 2020 and January 2021, the participants reported whether they believed they had experienced COVID-19 infection and had physical symptoms during the previous 4 weeks that had persisted for at least 8 weeks. Participants who reported having an initial COVID-19 infection only after completing the serology test were excluded.

Main Outcomes and Measures  Logistic regressions for each persistent symptom as the outcome were computed in models including both self-reported COVID-19 infection and serology test results and adjusting for age, sex, income, and educational level.

Results  Of 35 852 volunteers invited to participate in the study, 26 823 (74.8%) with complete data were included in the present study (mean [SD] age, 49.4 [12.9] years; 13 731 women [51.2%]). Self-reported infection was positively associated with persistent physical symptoms, with odds ratios ranging from 1.39 (95% CI, 1.03-1.86) to 16.37 (95% CI, 10.21-26.24) except for hearing impairment (odds ratio, 1.45; 95% CI, 0.82-2.55) and sleep problems (odds ratio, 1.14; 95% CI, 0.89-1.46). A serology test result positive for SARS-COV-2 was positively associated only with persistent anosmia (odds ratio, 2.72; 95% CI, 1.66-4.46), even when restricting the analyses to participants who attributed their symptoms to COVID-19 infection. Further adjusting for self-rated health or depressive symptoms yielded similar results. There was no significant interaction between belief and serology test results.

Conclusions and Relevance  The findings of this cross-sectional analysis of a large, population-based French cohort suggest that persistent physical symptoms after COVID-19 infection may be associated more with the belief in having been infected with SARS-CoV-2 than with having laboratory-confirmed COVID-19 infection. Further research in this area should consider underlying mechanisms that may not be specific to the SARS-CoV-2 virus. A medical evaluation of these patients may be needed to prevent symptoms due to another disease being erroneously attributed to “long COVID.”

• Hook 'Em 3

22 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

The people spreading that message aren’t idiots. They’re manipulative. (Although anyone who believes them are, indeed, idiots.)

Exactly.  Only idiots believe what those assholes are saying.   However, the US is full of idiots.  And shit like this needs to be countered with absolute truth.  And the truth needs to be hammered home.

Personally, I would not be upset if Newsmax or OAN were pulled off the air.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck You 1

It's sad that a deadly disease is being used a political wedge issue for the simple reason of creating division among our people, and at the same time, killing many on both sides of the debate. I wish I could say Republicans are being willfully ignorant in this crusade against the "tyranny of public health mandates", but the fact of the matter is they have to know the truth and choose to ignore it because winning elections is more important than a few hundred thousand American lives. Really sad and cynical of them, but here we are.

These idiots will raise hell over a dozen marines being hit with a suicide bomb because "it could have been avoided with better planning" while ignoring the countless lives lost because politicizing a vaccine is worth more points in the polls. I really can't think of a more despicable political tactic besides starting another pointless war.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 3

3 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

I really can't think of a more despicable political tactic besides starting another pointless war.

Well, you're clearly not GQP material.  Trust me, within the next year, they will think up and implement several tactics more despicable than either of those.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, OneOfTheOutOfFocusGuys said:

the non white one is surprising.  they were laggards through early summer at least, if i recall.

I think that calls out that maybe there was some truth to the claim that minorities were lagging because of a lack of access, either because shots weren't available where they were or because by and large you needed the internet to have any chance of scoring an appointment early.  Also, I think all the people that were hesitant but not crazy have pretty much gotten past their hesitancy, and all we're left now unvaccinated are the ones with some form of crazy.

• Hook 'Em 2

I got my booster the other day, Pfizer to go with my original Moderna. No symptoms, but then I didn't really have any from the initial doses. Predictably, my wife was unable to get out of bed the first day after her shot due to severe chills and body aches, exactly like the last two times. It's infuriating that she voluntarily goes through that misery, despite being at minimal risk herself, and 30% of the country can't pull their heads out of their asses for 2 seconds to do something for the good of the rest of the country.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

DEVA1_2_02a2.jpg

There's a cool little aerospace museum in Boron, California, which also houses the 20 mule team museum because of the local borax production.  Worth a short detour stop if you're driving through that ass-crack middle of nowhere.  Which we did when we drove up the east side of the Sierras from Socal to head to Yosemite years ago.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Hook 'Em 1

I was also saddened this week to find out a co-worker who played off being lazy about getting the vaccine is apparently a die hard anti-vaxxer.  Not that he has spouted any theories or anything, but he admitted recently to having to talk to HR about his vaccine status.  You only have to do that if you're refusing the shot.   In terms of employment he'll probably be fine as he doesn't go into any offices anywhere.  Still, though, just disappointing.  He's one of the ones I work very closely with, albeit remotely obviously.  Up to now thought he was a logical dude.  

1 hour ago, elfenix said:

This is fucking bullshit. I got vaccinated and my 5G coverage didn't get any better. I tried this to detox the vaxx and my 5G coverage didn't get any worse. 

I'm starting to think the vaccine doesn't have any effect on 5G coverage. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Pods said:

This is fucking bullshit. I got vaccinated and my 5G coverage didn't get any better. I tried this to detox the vaxx and my 5G coverage didn't get any worse. 

I'm starting to think the vaccine doesn't have any effect on 5G coverage. 

Just insert your phone between your butt cheeks and fart. The 5G-enhancement chemicals the vaccine produces aren't digested.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2