CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

I’m going to call this reaction massively overblown. South Africa has Small sample + huge unvaxxed population + starting from lowest incidence in South African timeline from start of pandemic. And we are restricting traveling? Clown shoes.

Maybe.

I hope you’re right. I’m not sure what travel restrictions will accomplish but assume there must be some pretty troubling data (that hasn’t yet been fully publicized) driving this.

In any case this doesn’t concern me on a personal level. Let’s check back around Christmas and see how things look.

5 hours ago, Goredho said:

I think for me and @MC Fresh Breath, we just in the last 2-3 weeks have had a covid infection after previously being vaxxed.  We are being given advice by the CDC to get boosters 6 months after vaccination, but I have yet to see guidance on boosters post infection.  I don’t know if there’s a downside to just getting a booster a couple weeks after having a real covid infection.  We’re asking if anyone has heard credible guidance on boosters post covid.

Lady I worked with got COVID after her 1st two shots. Got her booster 6 weeks later. She seems to be doing fine. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Fuck everything about this timeline.

this. i feel beaten down today. wife is inside weeping. finally got travel rights monday only to have this new variant bubble up when trying to book expensive last minute tix. i guess wait it out a few days. always risk with Darth Australia waiting in the shadows ready to pounce

i want my money back. i sweatergawd i can dodge NuNu with the best of em

frankenstein-junior-gif-5.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Do you even Plague of Justinian, bro?

And we're no Rome.  Rome had their shit way more together than we do, relative to the context/time.

Justinian was an Eastern Roman, the OG empire had already collapsed. And neither here nor there, but the way we learn ancient history is awesome. If you’re lucky, you read about Hannibal and then you look up and Caesar is crossing the Rubicon on the way to destroying the Republic. The equivalent of skipping from Appomatax to Trump. 

All this is to say that 2000 years from now people won’t even know about COVID except for around five PhD students, so keep things in perspective. Also, the heat death of the universe is lurking out there.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Also, the heat death of the universe is lurking out there.  

Well aren't you just a ray of sunshine. I wouldn't bet against this new variant being able to survive at absolute zero, and for one of the many theories suggesting another Big Bang turn out to be true, and covid will therefore get to fuck up a whole other timeline.

Maybe.

I hope you’re right. I’m not sure what travel restrictions will accomplish but assume there must be some pretty troubling data (that hasn’t yet been fully publicized) driving this.

In any case this doesn’t concern me on a personal level. Let’s check back around Christmas and see how things look.

That’s the only thing that concerns me (the holding back data possibility). Well, that and the new incentive for nations to hide their variants lest their country get banned

3 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Justinian was an Eastern Roman, the OG empire had already collapsed. And neither here nor there, but the way we learn ancient history is awesome. If you’re lucky, you read about Hannibal and then you look up and Caesar is crossing the Rubicon on the way to destroying the Republic. The equivalent of skipping from Appomatax to Trump. 

All this is to say that 2000 years from now people won’t even know about COVID except for around five PhD students, so keep things in perspective. Also, the heat death of the universe is lurking out there.  

i-like-this-guy-i-like-him.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Do you even Plague of Justinian, bro?

And we're no Rome.  Rome had their shit way more together than we do, relative to the context/time.

One of the many things the post war United States can be viewed as the best ever place and time for was infectious disease containment. Like all the others, the three crucial elements were 

1 high institutional integrity 

2) social cohesion

3) universal acceptance of the constitutional contract 

All three of those are heading the wrong direction at the moment. So it really doesn’t matter if we’re challenged by disease, trade aggression, or barbarians at the gate. No matter the enemy, we are in a weakened position to defend ourselves. 

14 hours ago, staboner said:

this. i feel beaten down today. wife is inside weeping. finally got travel rights monday only to have this new variant bubble up when trying to book expensive last minute tix. i guess wait it out a few days. always risk with Darth Australia waiting in the shadows ready to pounce

I was gonna make espresso!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

All three of those are heading the wrong direction at the moment. So it really doesn’t matter if we’re challenged by disease, trade aggression, or barbarians at the gate. No matter the enemy, we are in a weakened position to defend ourselves.

I was looking at the ridiculously low flu stats the other day, and wondering two things:  1) can we keep the masks and ubiquitous hand sanitizer forever, please? and 2) why is it we all know immediately who to blame for the answer to #1 being no?

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I was looking at the ridiculously low flu stats the other day, and wondering two things:  1) can we keep the masks and ubiquitous hand sanitizer forever, please? and 2) why is it we all know immediately who to blame for the answer to #1 being no?

Come on man. Masks need to go away when this virus is contained. Unless you also support universal 20 mph speed limits and universal wearing bicycle helmets just walking around

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

So we are gonna start travel restrictions on Monday.  Love that pandemic urgency can be synced up with the work week and holiday travel.  At a minimum, figure by this point we would have learned to pull aside planes arriving from SA and require everybody to take a rapid test to clear entry.   

• Hook 'Em 1

One week now of no taste or smell.  Oh, diarrhea as well.  Have accidentally lost 6lbs so far.  Didn’t need to lose the weight.  
Very occasionally I can inhale through the nose sharply while positioned right above coffee grounds or peppermint oil and catch a faint, muted whiff.  Keep hoping that’s a sign the senses will return.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

54 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Come on man. Masks need to go away when this virus is contained. Unless you also support universal 20 mph speed limits and universal wearing bicycle helmets just walking around

I kind of agree - I do plan to continue to wear them when I feel under the weather or have cold/flu symptoms, especially while traveling. I didn't do that before.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I kind of agree - I do plan to continue to wear them when I feel under the weather or have cold/flu symptoms, especially while traveling. I didn't do that before.

That’s reasonable, and not implicit in what I was responding to. Also as someone who has over the years often had to wear a mask in the OR with cold/flu symptoms I think I would just stay home

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

One week now of no taste or smell.  Oh, diarrhea as well.  Have accidentally lost 6lbs so far.  Didn’t need to lose the weight.  
Very occasionally I can inhale through the nose sharply while positioned right above coffee grounds or peppermint oil and catch a faint, muted whiff.  Keep hoping that’s a sign the senses will return.

How long have you been sick now?  My smell came back about 3-4 days after I started feeling better. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, staboner said:

Have y'all gone to any protests? This is extreme. NZ but God damn.

Screenshot_20211127-090716.png

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

If my Maldives trip at the end of January gets fucked up, I'm gonna cut a bitch.

Got a trip planned for that time period as well, first real vacation since the pandemic started, and yeah.  I’ll be a pissy bitch if we have to cancel.

20 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

I'm libertarian, I'm also anti-commie. Are you? 

Do you agree with what NZ and Australia been doing, if you're asking if I'm antifa, are you?

Your post indicated a concern with fascism. I took the opportunity to have fun with that seemingly new found concern.  
This last reply indicates we should just let it go, because  it wouldn’t be as funny from here on out.  

5 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Your post indicated a concern with fascism. I took the opportunity to have fun with that seemingly new found concern.  
This last reply indicates we should just let it go, because  it wouldn’t be as funny from here on out.  

Oh, yeah. Fascism is not good. We can agree that if they weren't here the world would be better.

16 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Alright, WTF is going on with HEB's booster signup?  My son is 17, he's had 2 Pfizer doses, and when trying to sign him up for a booster, he's "not qualified".  

So he's qualified to get the vax but not the booster?

6 months after 2 dose? Only 18 and up? 

• Hook 'Em 1