2020 Dems: Iowa (how it works and what to look for)

bad_teammate

7 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Good news from Nevada - the next caucus state:

https://twitter.com/jakeypoohlv/status/1224762402417205248

Given Russians proclivity to hack and interfere, verified paper ballots must be the standard in the Dem. caucus, so that it can be suggested as the standard for the next Presidential election.

Call me Chicken Little but I have zero confidence anybody other than Trump will win in the use of any electronics in Presidential voting.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Questioning the integrity of getting your ass kicked in a primary? That’s Bernie 2016‘a music! 

I recall his supporters questioning the integrity of the 2016 process. I should know, I was one of them.

I don’t recall the actual campaign itself actually doing so and threatening lawsuits, but I’ve been wrong many times before. 

10 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Well, and that's the hell of it -- here's some damning of Democrats with faint praise.  Intraparty attacks on a candidate actually MATTER in the Democratic party, because many Democrat voters actually pay attention to issues, strengths, and weaknesses of character, etc., and allow their view of the candidate to be shaped by such thinking.  Most GOP voters, on the other hand, have a simple and straight team loyalty -- see the cult that currently exists.  They don't care about the flaws and failings of any GOP candidate, because having the "(R)" next to the name cures all ills.   The fatal flaw of many Democratic voters is that they actually think and form opinions based on facts and evidence, including negative opinions about candidates in their own party.

Being smart and thinking is political weakness.

I think thats very true.  A large chunk of Rs vote that straight party because of abortion or guns, and they could give a shit less what flaws their candidates have as long as they will uphold those pillars.  Christian conservatives were clutching their pearls about Trump during the nomination, but they love him now because hes pumping out right-leaning judges as fast as he possibly can.  I dont think the democrats really have that same absolute allegiance to issues like that.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pacman said:

Given Russians proclivity to hack and interfere, verified paper ballots must be the standard in the Dem. caucus, so that it can be suggested as the standard for the next Presidential election.

Call me Chicken Little but I have zero confidence anybody other than Trump will win in the use of any electronics in Presidential voting.

This is our concern dude.

And with Moscow Mitch and citizen united dark money it’s the only chance the republicans ever got to win. And they will steal it if they can. 

4 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

They are not, or at least not anything they are able to give. That is a GOP talking point. 

Right now our immigration system serves the one percent first and foremost, like every other area of our rigged economy.

Important point to remember and a major problem for Trump.

3 minutes ago, pacman said:

Voting is set up so independent observers can check the the math and integrity of vote counting. Agree.

2 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

If Trump really wanted to halt immigration dead in its tracks he would hit at employers instead of caging children and fucking around with an idiotic wall. 

His base will be furious when they learn how he betrayed them. 

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

I think the vast majority of his base has no idea about that, other than SCOTUS.  I think they just see someone lying about abortion and that's their fetish.

Disagree, I think his courting of pastors is very transactional.  No doubt he makes them aware of how much hes doing for them in order for them to go back and push the word to their flocks.  

3 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I think the vast majority of his base has no idea about that, other than SCOTUS.  I think they just see someone lying about abortion and that's their fetish.

Yes, if I hear one more quote about "not taking his salary" while ignoring the $100 million+ his golf trips have cost the American people, much of which paid to his own properties, I will absolutely lose it. Then I remember, they don't care to find out the details. They grab soundbites and repeat them ad nauseum.

4 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

iowa democrats should absolutely not release an incomplete record at this point.

so of course they will.

Option A) Get it right the first time

Option B) Release about half of the data the day after (with the PR damage already done) without fully vetting everything

Option C) Make everyone hold their horses, validate all of your data, and release all at once a full accounting that has been fully quality controlled and validated

Iowa: "Option B. Definitely that one"

Edited by BradInATX
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

They are not, or at least not anything they are able to give. That is a GOP talking point. 

Right now our immigration system serves the one percent first and foremost, like every other area of our rigged economy.

Never heard of California?

• Like 2

You can call a state with less than 100% in. You can call a state with 40% if the variables line up. It is our brains that broke last night, not the math of statistical probabilities.

If the 50% they intend to report is representative enough to confidently call the race, then fine. (If they only care about getting a raw vote percentage out)

Edited by bad_teammate

2 minutes ago, EastTexan said:

Never heard of California?

Ever heard of Texas?

Ever wonder how all those homebuilders like Bob Perry and road contractors got so stinkin' rich?

Who really benefited from the "Texas Miracle"? And who made that "miracle" possible?

Wonder why there is no more white working class in cities like Houston, Austin, and Dallas? When was the last time you saw a construction or road crew that was mostly redneck?

Ever wonder what happened to Pasadena, Texas, where the population is now about 80 percent Mexican but has a city council that's 75 percent white and a white mayor? 

Texas is still a slave state, only today our slaves are from south of the border instead of over the sea. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, pacman said:

Be nice if the outcome of this was to stop making such a big deal out of one state's political leanings..i mean, fuck iowa.

They need election reform, no question. And they need to watch out for private companies with connections. Just keep it simple - or lose that status. 

Trump supporters are in for a rude awakening if they think Trump wins on policy. He betrayed them. And has promised even more betrayal in his imaginary second term. Trump is ready to sacrifice his base for . . . his own vanity. They will devour him for his betrayal. But that's for the general election. 

• Like 1

I don’t get this reference. I’m not a political junkie and only follow politics during the election season. Why is saying Democrat  make him a Republican? 

It was originally meant to be a slur. There is no “Democrat Party”

1 minute ago, Xian said:

I don’t get this reference. I’m not a political junkie and only follow politics during the election season. Why is saying Democrat  make him a Republican? 

It's the Democratic Party. "Democrat" as an adjective is Limbaugh stuff and is used as an insult.

1 minute ago, washparkhorn said:

Trump supporters are in for a rude awakening if they think Trump wins on policy. He betrayed them. And has promised even more betrayal in his imaginary second term. Trump is ready to sacrifice his base for . . . his own vanity. They will devour him for his betrayal. But that's for the general election. 

I hope so but I heard a discouraging vox pop from Iowa on NPR this morning. They interviewed a diner waitress up there who won a measure of fame or infamy 12 years ago when she told reporters that HRC's entourage came to her diner for a photo op and stiffed the staff on their tips. She said she had "black sedans" driving slow past her house after that and got death threats, but, she claimed, she voted for Obama in 2008 and 2012.

But she flipped to Trump in 2016 and said she had plans to vote for him again. By now, she can no longer wait tables because she is on disability. She told the reporter that she'd gotten burned at some warehouse job in the intervening years, so now she's on all the doles.

The reporter asked her if she knew that Trump wanted to slash all those assistance programs and she said yes, she did, but she didn't care. Asked to elaborate, she said she liked that Trump "put America first." She was tired of government money helping the poor in other countries, and I guess she was so glad that was being taken away she was willing to take it out of her own pocket too. She liked that Trump was gettin' tuff with China on trade as well.

She also said she was "maybe a racist," or "maybe not, because I know lots of people who aren't white. Sometimes I just say the wrong things." 

So that's what we're up against. People who think Sanders is just another Democrat and who also believe that putting America first means withholding money from poor people in Africa and America alike.

I'd like to think she wasn't representative of more than a few shitbirds, but sadly I know the type all too well. My fucked up cousins in brokedick Red River County, Texas, are very much of this ilk. And hell, how can they be racist when a good chunk of the youngest generation is mixed-race?

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

tenor.gif

His supporters don't care that he "betrayed" them. Many of the farmers he is horse fucking into submission have said they'll vote for him again regardless of him lying and ruining their lives. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

tenor.gif

His supporters don't care that be "betrayed" them. Many of the farmers he is horse fucking into submission have said they'll vote for him again regardless of him lying and ruining their lives. 

They believe that they are making a noble sacrifice for the rest of us and that we don't bow down and blow them for it feeds their martyr complexes and makes them hate city folk even more. 

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Or, is emblematic of someone typing quickly on a message board during the work day.
But yeah, I’m DEFINITELY a Rush Limbaugh acolyte, that makes more sense.

Just in case anyone fails to see the the tongue in this cheeky response - brisket is definitely not a Rush acolyte. 

He was the voice of reason - and consensus choice for who should be President if there was an election of political board commentators. 

4 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I hope so but I heard a discouraging vox pop from Iowa on NPR this morning. They interviewed a diner waitress up there who won a measure of fame or infamy 12 years ago when she told reporters that HRC's entourage came to her diner for a photo op and stiffed the staff on their tips. She said she had "black sedans" driving slow past her house after that and got death threats, but, she claimed, she voted for Obama in 2008 and 2012.

But she flipped to Trump in 2016 and said she had plans to vote for him again. By now, she can no longer wait tables because she is on disability. She told the reporter that she'd gotten burned at some warehouse job in the intervening years, so now she's on all the doles.

The reporter asked her if she knew that Trump wanted to slash all those assistance programs and she said yes, she did, but she didn't care. Asked to elaborate, she said she liked that Trump "put America first." She was tired of government money helping the poor in other countries, and I guess she was so glad that was being taken away she was willing to take it out of her own pocket too. She liked that Trump was gettin' tuff with China on trade as well.

She also said she was "maybe a racist," or "maybe not, because I know lots of people who aren't white. Sometimes I just say the wrong things." 

So that's what we're up against. People who think Sanders is just another Democrat and who also believe that putting America first means withholding money from poor people in Africa and America alike.

I'd like to think she wasn't representative of more than a few shitbirds, but sadly I know the type all too well. My fucked up cousins in brokedick Red River County, Texas, are very much of this ilk. And hell, how can they be racist when a good chunk of the youngest generation is mixed-race?

Dumb, mildly racist, white former waitresses on government disability who can’t afford proper health care are definitely a trump demographic. 

oh well. 

4 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Just in case anyone fails to see the the tongue in this cheeky response - brisket is definitely not a Rush acolyte. 

He was the voice of reason - and consensus choice for who should be President if there was an election of political board commentators. 

Nothing gets by you

5 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

That was a good read. Thanks.

One doesn't have to win them over . . . just make a few thousand understand they are voting against their own interests if they vote for him.

Trump voters who play their cards close to their vest are reachable.

Now is not the time, though.

11 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Yeah....heard that on the drive in, and it just further cements my opinion that we're irreversibly fucked.  It's not just her.  There's an army of "her."  She is us.  That's the dominant voice in this country -- not only do they not care if the president doesn't make their lives better, hell, not only do they not care if he makes it WORSE....the only metric of success is whether he makes someone ELSE suffer.

Our new national motto sure ain't "e pluribus unum" - it's "misery loves company."

There's no recovery from this.  It's one thing to shoot yourself in the dick.  It's quite another to celebrate doing so and cocking the hammer back to shoot it again and again.

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah....heard that on the drive in, and it just further cements my opinion that we're irreversibly fucked.  It's not just her.  There's an army of "her."  She is us.  That's the dominant voice in this country -- not only do they not care if the president doesn't make their lives better, hell, not only do they not care if he makes it WORSE....the only metric of success is whether he makes someone ELSE suffer.

Our new national motto sure ain't "e pluribus unum" - it's "misery loves company."

There's no recovery from this.  It's one thing to shoot yourself in the dick.  It's quite another to celebrate doing so and cocking the hammer back to shoot it again and again.

If only Hillary hadn't stiffed her on the tip....

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Oh ye of little faith . . . [Alien eats Orem]

I hope you are wrong 

Or you guys just heard an interview on the radio that provides confirmation bias to your idea that you are morally and intellectually superior to everyone else and that they are unreachable and irredeemable garbage.

1) That woman isn't representative of the entire nation.
2) Regardless of what she tells NPR, she is reachable by those who make an effort to reach her.

Phonebank, canvas. Talk to human beings and you'll see this fracturing that we do is almost 100% self-service.

basket of deplorables didn't work in 2016. It's not going to work in 2020

• Like 4