2020 Dems: Iowa (how it works and what to look for)

bad_teammate

1 minute ago, GSU&UT said:

I thought so too at first but if Biden is cratering Bloomberg being there to suck up so much ad time may hurt Warren and Bernie. We'll see, I really don't think he's in it to win, it'd be an insane result.

Bloomberg is not playing spoiler. He is organizing in every state spending hundreds of millions and playing to win. 

1 hour ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I hope so but I heard a discouraging vox pop from Iowa on NPR this morning. They interviewed a diner waitress up there who won a measure of fame or infamy 12 years ago when she told reporters that HRC's entourage came to her diner for a photo op and stiffed the staff on their tips. She said she had "black sedans" driving slow past her house after that and got death threats, but, she claimed, she voted for Obama in 2008 and 2012.

But she flipped to Trump in 2016 and said she had plans to vote for him again. By now, she can no longer wait tables because she is on disability. She told the reporter that she'd gotten burned at some warehouse job in the intervening years, so now she's on all the doles.

The reporter asked her if she knew that Trump wanted to slash all those assistance programs and she said yes, she did, but she didn't care. Asked to elaborate, she said she liked that Trump "put America first." She was tired of government money helping the poor in other countries, and I guess she was so glad that was being taken away she was willing to take it out of her own pocket too. She liked that Trump was gettin' tuff with China on trade as well.

She also said she was "maybe a racist," or "maybe not, because I know lots of people who aren't white. Sometimes I just say the wrong things." 

So that's what we're up against. People who think Sanders is just another Democrat and who also believe that putting America first means withholding money from poor people in Africa and America alike.

I'd like to think she wasn't representative of more than a few shitbirds, but sadly I know the type all too well. My fucked up cousins in brokedick Red River County, Texas, are very much of this ilk. And hell, how can they be racist when a good chunk of the youngest generation is mixed-race?

Heard the same thing driving in. Sadly I also know people like this here in Texas. 

we really are fucked, aren’t we? 

Remember 10-15 years ago when the talk was about how ahead the curve Dems were compared to Republicans in the technology game? Now it seems like Pascale is running circles around the Dems. WTF happened? All of the devs I see at Capitol Factory look like they lean left, did the Right just buy them all with their war chest? Seriously, Pascale is a well-oiled machine compared to these clowns. 

Edited by Bruh Man
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

Remember 10-15 years ago when the talk was about how ahead the curve Dems were compared to Republicans in the technology game? Now it seems like Pascale is running laps around the Dems. WTF happened? All of the devs I see at Capitol Factory look like they lean left, did the Right just buy them all?

russian hacker farms work cheaper than american small liberal arts school educated latte sipping maybe i'll put in some work this afternoon party affiliated grifters

Edited by elfenix
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Out of curiosity, and as someone who hasn't paid attention to Bloomberg, why exactly would he be such a laughably bad candidate? You know, in the world of "Anyone But Trump" I fail to see how a (hopefully, I haven't been paying attention) less evil and vile version of a successful Billionaire with potentially strong business and economic ties would be the worst thing in the world if he happens to match up well against Trump. Someone kindly inform me. 

He helped instill fascist bullshit like stop and frisk, is a raging misogynist, and has stupid pet projects like banning big gulps.

30 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Out of curiosity, and as someone who hasn't paid attention to Bloomberg, why exactly would he be such a laughably bad candidate? You know, in the world of "Anyone But Trump" I fail to see how a (hopefully, I haven't been paying attention) less evil and vile version of a successful Billionaire with potentially strong business and economic ties would be the worst thing in the world if he happens to match up well against Trump. Someone kindly inform me. 

He's a Republican.

• Like 1

Just now, wildcat09 said:

He's a Republican.

I mean, I'm not for stop and frisk and racial profiling, nor am I a fan of misogyny. But considering what's in office and how fucked up things are right now, putting forth the idea that this guy pulls a Finish Him to the democratic party from the inside doesn't even register as the craziest thing we've seen politically in the last 2 weeks. 

1 minute ago, hayden_horn said:

lulz, bernie won the popular vote for the 62%, but pete won the delegate count. way to shit this up, democrats. what a mess.

Comparisons to the electoral college should be enough to shitcan the caucus system in Iowa, and elsewhere.  Hopefully. 

5 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

I cannot understand what would motivate for someone to vote for Mayor Pete.  Still, Biden and Warren getting their asses beat is a good thing.

*slowly raises hand* 

I want a moderate who isnt creepy old joe. 

he isn’t ideal, but sanders and warren’s Complete banning of fracking is a big no for me.   Regulate yes. But complete ban?  Especially when it is the disposal wells are the issue. Not fracking itself is a deal breaker.   

it’s a shame. I really like sanders healthcare plan 

that said. I’m not a Pete die hard and will probably change my mind before the Texas primary as I start paying more attention and research things more. 

Edited by Xian
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

Trump just had his highest approval rating ever in today’s Gallup poll at 49-50.  The Republican Party was viewed favorably by 51% of people.  That’s also its highest rating in forever (since 2005!), and eight points higher than the Democrats (who usually lead on this question).  This in the midst of Trump and the GOP openly rigging a sham impeachment trial.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/284156/trump-job-approval-personal-best.aspx

Trump is going to win - without even needing to cheat at this point - unless the economy has another Great Recession or he starts a real war.  It’s all fucked, and the Democrats have a weak field running against him to make it even more fucked.