The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

52 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Would still take the Ferrari 10 out of 10 times. 

Funny story. Was cutting through a couple side streets around downtown houston at 7 am and I came across a 488 Pista parked like the pic below. Someone must've had a rough night.

parallel2520cop2520out-768w-1.jpg

All of those cars are in play. Also, now that I am getting to the top of the hill in age I wanted something more comfortable to drive. So yesterday I bought a Jeep of the 4 door variety. Easy to get in and out of. We will see how I like it over time. So far so good.

Which Jeep model. I’ve been eyeballing them.

spotted a new grand cherokee on the way home.  not good looking.  doesn't even look like a grand cherokee.  put some generic grill on it and i'd have no idea it's a jeep.  really looks like something from china that's a knockoff but not a complete facsimile (and there are things that look exactly like a lexus RX/toyota harrier in china that are exact perfect copies, so they know how to do that).

but then i saw the fugliest thing ever.  QX55.  rear is a trainwreck that would give an aztek nightmares.  front grille is BMW ridicuhugeawfulness.  gross. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, elfenix said:

spotted a new grand cherokee on the way home.  not good looking.  doesn't even look like a grand cherokee.  put some generic grill on it and i'd have no idea it's a jeep.  really looks like something from china that's a knockoff but not a complete facsimile (and there are things that look exactly like a lexus RX/toyota harrier in china that are exact perfect copies, so they know how to do that).

but then i saw the fugliest thing ever.  QX55.  rear is a trainwreck that would give an aztek nightmares.  front grille is BMW ridicuhugeawfulness.  gross. 

My wife said that if I ever came home with any of the QX's we were getting a divorce.... So I put my order in last week.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Well, now you can only have half an R8.  

I kid I kid. So now we have a Jeep, a Ford commuter car that was given to us by my father in law. We did not want it but my wife is too nice to say no. We kept it 6 months as to not offend them by immediately selling it, and now it is currently for sale. Lol. We have our 2500, my wife's old Audi, her new Audi, and my two Mustangs. We basically have a car lot. I need the 2500 well because 2500, so we aren't selling that. Wife wants to keep her old Audi for the kid since it's paid off, in great shape, and she starts driving in a couple years. I bought the jeep because I am not driving a 2500 everyday. The Mustangs are play toys, but I think one of them has to go. One is a Vortech supercharged 1990 coupe. Yes its still a stick. It has all independent rear suspension and a Kenny Brown package. The track is widened three inches, its dropped 2 inches, and it has custom widebody panels. It basically looks like the car below without the rollcage and the weird hood and cowl. As soon as I get it back from the shop I will post pics. It's just a fun car to play around with. It handles real nice, and can absolutely embarrass some cars on the street given its 600hp to 3000lbs ratio. Walking a hellcat redeye and subsequent dumbfounded looks on their faces is awesome. But that's what they get for buying a car that weighs 4600 lbs. The other is a full on racecar. That's the one I will likely sell as the older I get the busier I get. I am at an age now where I mostly want to just drive and spend less time tinkering.

2f5023de704694ba4bc19599b8dc7bfa.jpg

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, tbone_ said:

What do they whack you for on one of those?

$140K now I believe?  Great value for the performance, not so thrilling value for a sheetmetal design aging on 9 years, paint made with lotto scratch-off coatings and an interior assembled with Legos.

That yoke, too.  LOL @ ditching the turn signal stalk, only to replace the signals with capacitive buttons on the same side of the steering wheel

Reference pics:  friend's car in Scottsdale from delivery last month

5.gif

6.gif

• Haha 1

Not in love with the Model S exterior, but the new interior (pictured) is a refreshing change over the old one.  I was ambivalent-to-pessimistic over that minimalist ipad-centric styling, but after long time in the Model 3 it's pretty stellar actually.  The greenhouse is expansive.  You have sweeping visibility over the entire vehicle.   Storage is voluminous.  Interior trim and surfacing isn't laser-cut aluminum and edge-stitched suede, but is solid and gauche-free.

Audi's double glossy screen is not better.  And the Mercedes stuff looks like some sort of turkish shisha den.

image.MQ6.12.20200529182019.jpeg

1539622483086.jpg

• Like 2

On 9/3/2021 at 2:02 PM, Thatguy said:

It makes sense. Lamborghini's reliability suddenly shot through the roof once Audi injected their technology into them. Audi bought Lambo for 110 million in 1998. Now they are worth between 9-11 billion. Talk about coming back from the dead. The reliability of their cars is at the forefront of the comeback. You can buy a Ferrari and have heavy bills even though you barely drive it, or you can buy a Lambo and change the oil.

And Jerrah thinks HE'S a bidness man!

On 9/18/2021 at 3:34 PM, Buzzrock said:

Teslas are fast as fuck but I find almost nothing else appealing about them. Styling, price tag, or interior. I think they need to mix it up or other car makers are going to surpass them (I like where the e-tron lineup is going).

Not to be an apologist, but this strikes me as the iPhone and "iPhone killer is coming" threat.  It's been threatened for 5-10 years and still hasn't become credible.  The difference is in the competitors' promise of features vs actual quality of execution.  Tesla is not infallible, and might not be the absolute best at any one thing - speed, handling, software, comfort, styling - but it's damn good at everything where the final sum soundly beats any of the competitor. 

The brand has unmatched levels of consumer satisfaction.  People can spin that as the 'cult effect'.  Which once again reminds of the Apple phenomenon - people who know it and use it legitimately loves it. 

3 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Not to be an apologist, but this strikes me as the iPhone and "iPhone killer is coming" threat.  It's been threatened for 5-10 years and still hasn't become credible.  The difference is in the competitors' promise of features vs actual quality of execution.  Tesla is not infallible, and might not be the absolute best at any one thing - speed, handling, software, comfort, styling - but it's damn good at everything where the final sum soundly beats any of the competitor. 

The brand has unmatched levels of consumer satisfaction.  People can spin that as the 'cult effect'.  Which once again reminds of the Apple phenomenon - people who know it and use it legitimately loves it. 

The Etron coupe is an awesome car to drive. The Porsche is too.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

The Etron coupe is an awesome car to drive. The Porsche is too.

Taycan is my favorite electric car, but it's an expensive 1 car of a rich person's multi-car garage.  The Model S seats 5, has huge interior and hatch-style cargo.  Taycan has seating for 4.25 person, limited storage front and back, and high-power charging station network deficit of 1:5. 

Sales are waning in Europe (where it is dominantly 1-car household).  The battleground is in the 3/Y space, and whatever/whenever a subcompact hatch will be introduced.

3 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Taycan is my favorite electric car, but it's an expensive 1 car of a rich person's multi-car garage.  The Model S seats 5, has huge interior and hatch-style cargo.  Taycan has seating for 4.25 person, limited storage front and back, and high-power charging station network deficit of 1:5. 

Sales are waning in Europe (where it is dominantly 1-car household).  The battleground is in the 3/Y space, and whatever/whenever a subcompact hatch will be introduced.

Yeah, both cars are expensive, but remember these are their first go rounds. They are going to user this tech to put into the lesser models. If that happens look out Tesla. I think that is Buzzrocks point.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Lol

Both Apple and Tesla attract certain profiles of people. There are just as many people that hate them than love them. They definitely have commonality, so since Apple make computers for people too stupid to use computers, there is probably an analog with Tesla.

I'd shoot myself in the dick before buying either product.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, G650 said:

Both Apple and Tesla attract certain profiles of people. There are just as many people that hate them than love them. They definitely have commonality, so since Apple make computers for people too stupid to use computers, there is probably an analog with Tesla.

I'd shoot myself in the dick before buying either product.

The funny thing is, the engineering backbone  in the tech world favors Apple devices.  Swathes of developers independent or e.g. in Google use Macs by choice.  So if your argument is appealing to sophistication... it falls completely flat.

Hater camp falls in the middle here.

cover4.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

The funny thing is, the engineering backbone  in the tech world favors Apple devices.  Swathes of developers independent or e.g. in Google use Macs by choice.  So if your argument is appealing to sophistication... it falls completely flat.

Hater camp falls in the middle here.

cover4.jpg

So if you are going to put up graphs try not to be so self defeating. I'll let you try and figure out precisely why that graph says that. Sophistication and all.

Positing the preference of a bunch of socially awkward engineers is just underlining my point. It's a psychological manifestation of expression and tribe. A friend of mine, who worked for the NSA and then founded his own security firm, loves to laugh at all his "special snowflakes" who have to have Apple. It's upper middle average white motherfucker writ large.

I starting coding in the 80's with shit like Pascal, FORTRAN and COBOL. Referencing a bunch of dipshit Python bros isn't going to move the needle on my opinion.

Thankfully for everyone I am not king of the world though, so y'all can do y'all. If it was up to me no one would would get a drivers license without demonstrating the ability to rebuild a standard push rod V8 engine, because they are absolutely not qualified to operate a motor vehicle.

• Hook 'Em 1

$140K now I believe?  Great value for the performance, not so thrilling value for a sheetmetal design aging on 9 years, paint made with lotto scratch-off coatings and an interior assembled with Legos.

That yoke, too.  LOL @ ditching the turn signal stalk, only to replace the signals with capacitive buttons on the same side of the steering wheel
Reference pics:  friend's car in Scottsdale from delivery last month

5.thumb.gif.3948da89eb9fc8d317f5900b07c20107.gif
6.thumb.gif.894108a36b32fa4936f49340e1633e21.gif

It’s like KITT but without Mr.Feeney talking

9db2b418e75267bfdf78764cb7533908.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, G650 said:

So if you are going to put up graphs try not to be so self defeating. I'll let you try and figure out precisely why that graph says that. Sophistication and all.

Positing the preference of a bunch of socially awkward engineers is just underlining my point. It's a psychological manifestation of expression and tribe. A friend of mine, who worked for the NSA and then founded his own security firm, loves to laugh at all his "special snowflakes" who have to have Apple. It's upper middle average white motherfucker writ large.

I starting coding in the 80's with shit like Pascal, FORTRAN and COBOL. Referencing a bunch of dipshit Python bros isn't going to move the needle on my opinion.

Thankfully for everyone I am not king of the world though, so y'all can do y'all. If it was up to me no one would would get a drivers license without demonstrating the ability to rebuild a standard push rod V8 engine, because they are absolutely not qualified to operate a motor vehicle.

When a company makes a really good product, it becomes popular with a broad spectrum of people.  So denigrating it for being popular with "lay people" is a really caveman insult.

The popularity also triggers contrarianism against its merits -- but this thing has only 1/4th of the jigawatts per megaflop per second^squared, compared to my clearly superior product of choice that appeals to my superior intellect and taste -- while ignoring the simple fact the product is successful because it does what it needs to.

I know because I also used to be a mega-nerd and rationalized my (misguided) anti-Apple condescension using the same shitty logic.  Then I grew up and realized nobody gives a shit.  And if I founded my own security firm I definitely wouldn't be concerned about what special snowflakes do or don't do. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

When a company makes a really good product, it becomes popular with a broad spectrum of people.  So denigrating it for being popular with "lay people" is a really caveman insult.

The popularity also triggers contrarianism against its merits -- but this thing has only 1/4th of the jigawatts per megaflop per second^squared, compared to my clearly superior product of choice that appeals to my superior intellect and taste -- while ignoring the simple fact the product is successful because it does what it needs to.

I know because I also used to be a mega-nerd and rationalized my (misguided) anti-Apple condescension using the same shitty logic.  Then I grew up and realized nobody gives a shit.  And if I founded my own security firm I definitely wouldn't be concerned about what special snowflakes do or don't do. 

He has a point though. I liken it to when Playstation first arrived on the scene. Everyone marveled at the graphics and gameplay. They were the king of the gaming world. Then the XBOX arrived, and it was a better platform in every way than Playstation except one. Graphics were better, no need for memory cards, you could save at any point. You could even load your personal music on the hard drive and play it during gameplay. But the controllers weren't Playstation controllers, so the Playstation faithful used that as a the reason they couldn't use it. I remember Playstation online was a dead zone, but XBOX's online play was booming. Still those dudes refused to join in. That's how I feel about Apple people. The tech world caught up to them but they still hold their noses up at everyone else.

13 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

He has a point though. I liken it to when Playstation first arrived on the scene. Everyone marveled at the graphics and gameplay. They were the king of the gaming world. Then the XBOX arrived, and it was a better platform in every way than Playstation except one. Graphics were better, no need for memory cards, you could save at any point. You could even load your personal music on the hard drive and play it during gameplay. But the controllers weren't Playstation controllers, so the Playstation faithful used that as a the reason they couldn't use it. I remember Playstation online was a dead zone, but XBOX's online play was booming. Still those dudes refused to join in. That's how I feel about Apple people. The tech world caught up to them but they still hold their noses up at everyone else.

And then the Wii comes in with the worst graphics and a 2-button controller and outsells both of them, because people really enjoy it.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

Yeah, that's really not where I was going with it, and I honestly don't disagree that much from what you have written, though I legitimately don't think the Apple product is all that hot.

The point with my buddy is exactly what you are pointing out fwiw. He had to cater to a bunch of children who couldn't just get on with using perfectly acceptable PCs, which gave him a bunch of extra work managing their fee fees.

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

But agreed: most folks on the road should not be licensed. 

For reals, can't lose sight of the important things man.

On 9/19/2021 at 12:50 PM, Okie State said:
On 9/19/2021 at 11:24 AM, bluto said:
Seeing more new model Tahoes/burbs… the back end is just awful.

Neighbors just bought a Suburban. What an ugly bastard it is.

While I think the new Escalade has the best sleek look I think the Tahoe and GMC Denali are both nice. The Denali looks a little better than the High Country Tahoe but I think the Tahoe interior and cockpit looks better.