The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

As many miles as I put on a vehicle every year with a lot of those including my kids and dogs, that land yacht looks a hell of a lot better to me than that mini.

Put an order for a base level Bronco, dealer thinks I may have it sooner than later since it has a soft top and few options. Going to put tires on it and leave it at the beach, it’s cheaper than a used jeep.

34 minutes ago, mdleast said:

Saw a Bronco First Edition parked in my neighborhood the other day. Pretty freakin’ sweet looking!

Big one or little one?  I haven’t seen a full-size in the wild yet (and I’m working from home so that certainly cuts down on my opportunities), but I’m not a fan of the smaller ones.

16 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Saw a new Bronco with temporary plates broken down on 75 today.  No visible evidence of an accident.  Hood up, looked like a mechanical problem.  Not a very good look.

Sounds like my 82' model. It never missed an opportunity to leave you stranded on the side of the road. The second generations were always ranked as the least reliable or second to least reliable vehicles on the road. 

CHIEF

On 8/21/2021 at 9:10 PM, mdleast said:

Saw a Bronco First Edition parked in my neighborhood the other day. Pretty freakin’ sweet looking!

Ha, you might live next to my friend in Austin.  He got a cactus gray first edition and we did the Off Rodeo in Marble Falls after.  I didn’t really want one before that and now I do. 

On 6/23/2021 at 8:10 AM, 936horn said:

Welp. Dealer called me up a couple weeks before my build locked and offered me a GTS allocation with no ADM if I traded him back my C2S allocation. I bit. Glad I did. GTS was revealed yesterday and configurator is up today. Looking at early 2022 delivery but hell with it I’ve waited this long, what’s 6 more months? I’m a sucker for the center locks plus it has the options I had on the c2s anyway plus 30 more horses. I am considering adding the aero kit but not sure if that’s too wannabe gt3

image.jpeg.29efc5da6b8a321e10887fa14ca31d3e.jpeg

image.jpeg.a15cf6adb769b175be271d3937700470.jpeg

image.jpeg.348454823a22b99d2baa741e86ba77eb.jpeg

http://www.porsche-code.com/PN526C52

Estimated delivery keeps getting pushed. I do have an allocation but I can’t submit my order until Mid to late September. I’m not expecting delivery until summer 22 at best but I am a pessimist. In the mean time I did this because I am impatient and hate money. ‘19 GTS in night blue metallic. PPF being applied I’ll post more pics after

53DAB6A8-E9DC-496A-A64B-733E37F1A2B6.jpeg

74FE7C52-FFF9-4983-8618-24403ED1BD96.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 9

1 hour ago, elfenix said:

saw a genesis GV70 luxocrossuteover, coming from behind it on the highway.  first thing i thought of is that it looked like an AMC pacer with the bubble back window. 

2022-genesis-gv70-104-1627999476.jpg.fe7866b46e6ca0f5c97f11ec20b988fa.jpg

teaser.max-1200x675.thumb.jpg.e167d150cbc85fa33dea4ec72a96949e.jpg

Looks closer to the cayenne to me

Not a brand new car but, I drove the 2019 Edge down to Elon University last week in North Carolina. It's 460 miles from my house to the Inn on campus. I have been really pleased with this car. I averaged 30.4 mpg on the way down and 29.7 for the round trip. It's a lease, and up in February. I will probably just do another. It has just about everything you could ask for: heated/cooled seats, lane assist, smart cruise, navigation, satellite radio, full glass roof, etc. Just about everything that the much more expensive ones do. 

It's been a really nice vehicle.

Fuck man, I remember in college trying my damndest to get my dad to buy this nice silver one they had on the lot, asking $125K if memory serves. He couldn't fathom spending so much on a car then. Now, soccer moms are driving around $80K tahoes. 

40 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Car is amazing mechanically but everything in front of the windshield is unattractive. Like they stole headlights from a Miata and gave it a prison tear drop tat 

51416822249_b468707ed9_b.jpg

I like the way it looks. I absolutely despise the porsche panamera.

3 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

I like the way it looks. I absolutely despise the porsche panamera.

Given that I generally like Porsche designs, I do not care for either of the sedans.  Or the Boxster, yet I like the Cayman.  I think rather than actually liking the 911, I'm just used to it and appreciate what it symbolizes.

On 8/31/2021 at 6:05 PM, TwiceHorn said:

Given that I generally like Porsche designs, I do not care for either of the sedans.  Or the Boxster, yet I like the Cayman.  I think rather than actually liking the 911, I'm just used to it and appreciate what it symbolizes.

So really, you only like one of the five Porsches (non-SUV) on the market? Seems like you might generally dislike Porsche designs, at least currently...

8 hours ago, drewlaws said:

So really, you only like one of the five Porsches (non-SUV) on the market? Seems like you might generally dislike Porsche designs, at least currently...

Well, I am counting the 911.  And the body of work over my lifetime.  But you might say I'm not the biggest fan of the recent work, yeah.

One funny thing.  When the Boxster came out, I immediately thought 914, but then the longer I looked the less I liked.  Panamera reminded me of 928, but the rear end lines and proportions just  . . . . ugh.

I also fall into that camp. I always like the little Caymans. But then there’s the whole not a 911 that comes with it.  I respect the hell out of Porsche, obviously great cars with a tremendous history. They have just never really been my thing. 

eta: The Singers are obv sick af. 

Edited by fattyflattie
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, G650 said:

Exactly. Finally.

They’ve gotten a little big for my taste.  I’m 6’2”, 200 lbs. and I really thought I wanted a 964 many years ago, until I actually got to drive one.  Good lord those things are tiny.  997 was the sweet spot on size IMO.

note to self:  you should’ve bought that 964 for $25k and felt a little cramped.

2 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

They’ve gotten a little big for my taste.  I’m 6’2”, 200 lbs. and I really thought I wanted a 964 many years ago, until I actually got to drive one.  Good lord those things are tiny.  997 was the sweet spot on size IMO.

note to self:  you should’ve bought that 964 for $25k and felt a little cramped.

I thought I wanted one as well. I went down and hopped in a 911 and thought it was a solid car but not something I want to spend 100k on. I also don't want to have a car that's a trailer queen either, so I am at an impasse as I like to drive and put miles on a car. So....... we might end up opting for the r8. Ducks for cover!

3 hours ago, Thatguy said:

I thought I wanted one as well. I went down and hopped in a 911 and thought it was a solid car but not something I want to spend 100k on. I also don't want to have a car that's a trailer queen either, so I am at an impasse as I like to drive and put miles on a car. So....... we might end up opting for the r8. Ducks for cover!

What's stopping you from buying a 911 and putting miles on it?  That's my plan once I become rich.

• Hook 'Em 1

I really dislike the design language on the latest gen Porsche, 3 specific things (images intentionally kept small to emphasize the overall shape impression):

-the quad-beam headlight/taillight motif is a sharp, 4-hard-corner geometric feature that is at odds with the general soft, round, fluid shape of the car. When the lights are on it's actually visually discordant to me. For lack of better descriptive term, it's just trying to be too "edgy" and future on a car shape that's so firmly rooted in its classic past.

1099354033_quadheadlight.thumb.jpg.c04263cb380fc9643ba53e9cb25b9a1c.jpg  572680329_quadtaillight.JPG.ea2c2d991733e0dc7ab8a0ee5bd84f12.JPG

-the strakes on the rear engine cover visually narrow the upper body and make the car feel taller. I get that it was a throwback to the early 911 vertical strakes, but the 964-997 horizontal strakes visually shape the car better. Also, the unibrow taillight. The overall effect is that the center of the back got much more busy and the lines of the car are less clean.

vertical.jpg.7c52c37735a788aae4f6d000f8b12db1.jpg compared with horizontal.jpg.5dd747cb801bdf5f1027caf17583a02b.jpg

-The rear clamshell spoiler looks horrid when open, makes the car look like it just backed into something and partially tore off the rear bumper, or someone left the trunk open. Especially bad on the Cayenne hunchback:

1382864097_cayennespoiler.jpg.201a550168d7323976b7572d681d3545.jpg but equally awkward and unfinished looking on Carrera 1351747891_carreraspoiler.jpg.13e9711bb8b37e1e488b87e353dc415b.jpg

13 hours ago, Assman said:

The new GT3 might be my favorite Porsche design ever.  Just so sexy.

993 for me, and it has nothing to do with being air cooled. Just purity of shape; it's been going downhill since.

1632340133_9932.jpg.d8d416c053703fb1c5634b09fce76d88.jpg  1206746256_9931.jpg.aab6049c785ed51bc513c140986c6520.jpg

5 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Hard to pick a better sports car than Porsche if high mileage reliability is a factor. I sold my quite modded 996tt at about 130k mi with only regular maintenance (and it was modded for over 70k of those miles). It still felt more buttoned up than most newer sports cars half the mileage. Not sure how an R8 is any improvement in any way.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Assman said:

What's stopping you from buying a 911 and putting miles on it?  That's my plan once I become rich.

4 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

Hard to pick a better sports car than Porsche if high mileage reliability is a factor. I sold my quite modded 996tt at about 130k mi with only regular maintenance (and it was modded for over 70k of those miles). It still felt more buttoned up than most newer sports cars half the mileage. Not sure how an R8 is any improvement in any way.

I told myself I would buy myself one car like this when it was time. So now that the time in question is almost upon us, I have been looking. I like the Porsche, I just don't love it. It handles great, but feels under powered in entry level cars. Sure, the Turbo is awesome and all, but then you are getting into "you can buy any kind of car" money. I don't know how many newer cars you drive but the world is "catching up". Build quality gaps are a lot closer than they used to be. My 1990 Mustang's build quality was shit straight off the showroom floor, and was even shittier on a skidpad. Now you can get a 2021 mustang that has Alcantara in it, is on rails around a track, and hardly has any road noise. Hop in a brand new 600k Phantom, and while stunning, you will see shitty plastic pieces here and there if you are looking hard enough. 

There are cars out there that are faster around Nürburgring than anything Porsche makes that's not a GT variant. So then you have to ask yourself how much do you like the car, because at 220k you start bringing a lot of cars into the fold. It becomes about looks, prestige, and statement. Porsche makes the refined gentleman that's not trying too hard statement. Lamborghini is the look at me and my money statement. Ferrari makes the I am a collector of fine automobiles statement. The R8 is somewhere between Porsche and Lamborghini. Reliability wise, the R8 is as close to the Porsche as a car like that gets. The v10 will fetch you over 600hp. It's all wheel, and the interior is pretty badass. I like the car. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Might also be worth considering the AMG-GT or the NSX?

And I generally agree with Sam - I don't care as much for some of the styling evolution of the 992s. I think that broadly speaking, the 997 (esp. the widebodies) and 991 eras are going to be my "all time wheelhouse" and that the 992 is going to eventually look a little too "tried to anticipate/force the future of design" in hindsight. 

20 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Might also be worth considering the AMG-GT or the NSX?

And I generally agree with Sam - I don't care as much for some of the styling evolution of the 992s. I think that broadly speaking, the 997 (esp. the widebodies) and 991 eras are going to be my "all time wheelhouse" and that the 992 is going to eventually look a little too "tried to anticipate/force the future of design" in hindsight. 

All of those cars are in play. Also, now that I am getting to the top of the hill in age I wanted something more comfortable to drive. So yesterday I bought a Jeep of the 4 door variety. Easy to get in and out of. We will see how I like it over time. So far so good.

5 hours ago, Thatguy said:

There are cars out there that are faster around Nürburgring than anything Porsche makes that's not a GT variant. So then you have to ask yourself how much do you like the car, because at 220k you start bringing a lot of cars into the fold. It becomes about looks, prestige, and statement. Porsche makes the refined gentleman that's not trying too hard statement. Lamborghini is the look at me and my money statement. Ferrari makes the I am a collector of fine automobiles statement. The R8 is somewhere between Porsche and Lamborghini. Reliability wise, the R8 is as close to the Porsche as a car like that gets. The v10 will fetch you over 600hp. It's all wheel, and the interior is pretty badass. I like the car. 

The R8 and Lamborghini Gillardo use the same platform, same engine, and same AWD. About 7 years ago, I bought CHIEF Jr. one of the exotic car driving experiences, here, at our local track in Cresson. It was several hours, so you get to shoot the shit with drivers and mechanics. I asked one of them which car was the most reliable one out here. He immediately said the Gillardo. It had 70k miles on it, and all were hard track miles (500-600 per weekend, sunup to sundown). Every mile throughly thrashed and beat on. The only thing they had done to it was re-flash the computer twice, and doubled up on maintenance (oil change every other weekend). It was hard to believe, as they also had a 911, GTR, Lotus, Viper, and Corvette as well as other cars. 

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, CHIEF said:

The R8 and Lamborghini Gillardo use the same platform, same engine, and same AWD. About 7 years ago, I bought CHIEF Jr. one of the exotic car driving experiences, here, at our local track in Cresson. It was several hours, so you get to shoot the shit with drivers and mechanics. I asked one of them which car was the most reliable one out here. He immediately said the Gillardo. It had 70k miles on it, and all were hard track miles (500-600 per weekend, sunup to sundown). Every mile throughly thrashed and beat on. The only thing they had done to it was re-flash the computer twice, and doubled up on maintenance (oil change every other weekend). It was hard to believe, as they also had a 911, GTR, Lotus, Viper, and Corvette as well as other cars. 

CHIEF

It makes sense. Lamborghini's reliability suddenly shot through the roof once Audi injected their technology into them. Audi bought Lambo for 110 million in 1998. Now they are worth between 9-11 billion. Talk about coming back from the dead. The reliability of their cars is at the forefront of the comeback. You can buy a Ferrari and have heavy bills even though you barely drive it, or you can buy a Lambo and change the oil.