Its happening (stadium renovations)

RowdyVic

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok once again from the turf perspective, it's field turf, that means that it will eventually have a bunch of black rubber pellets integrated into it.  When that gets done just like mixing in a touch of dark paint with a base color the base color darkens.  Will it darken to satisfy us? Who knows...but the color you see in those pictures is not the color it will appear when it is finished.  

As to other things being different shades of orange, maybe they are maybe they are not, but shit like what's in the light and what's in the shade has an impact on your perception of color so yea maybe drink a beer and wait to get all OCD.

• Hook 'Em 2

37 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Ok once again from the turf perspective, it's field turf, that means that it will eventually have a bunch of black rubber pellets integrated into it.  When that gets done just like mixing in a touch of dark paint with a base color the base color darkens.  Will it darken to satisfy us? Who knows...but the color you see in those pictures is not the color it will appear when it is finished.  

As to other things being different shades of orange, maybe they are maybe they are not, but shit like what's in the light and what's in the shade has an impact on your perception of color so yea maybe drink a beer and wait to get all OCD.

Exactly. This was the case during the last turf install. The orange is the same shade as the seats, wall and everything else currently on the 40. 

Edited by Blackcat00

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Are you fucking with the colors or is that an actual shot?  And if it’s an actual shot, are they fucking with the colors? 

don’t make me drive down there, this is important!

See for yourself

https://texassports.com/sports/2019/6/11/darrell-k-royal-texas-memorial-stadium-south-endzone-webcam.aspx

4 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Are you fucking with the colors or is that an actual shot?  And if it’s an actual shot, are they fucking with the colors? 

don’t make me drive down there, this is important!

Top picture is from the live cam. Bottom is just for comparison.

Edited by CowtownHorn

1 hour ago, Vito Andolini said:

I don’t know how to link it as a photo, but the live cam right now is showing the north end zone as practically brown, so many of you should be ecstatic.

https://texassports.com/sports/2019/6/11/darrell-k-royal-texas-memorial-stadium-south-endzone-webcam.aspx

They've also put down giant strips of duct tape along the West side and South end zone.

• Haha 1

On 6/30/2021 at 7:46 PM, Machinator said:

FCB on the turf

Hide contents

— We reported in the Brew back on May 12 that new field turf would be installed at Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium (DKR) for the 2021 season - while also reporting the new field turf might only be a temporary upgrade.

Well, the new field turf is being laid this week - replacing the field turf installed in 2010 in Royal-Memorial Stadium. The shelf life of field turf is typically 10 years.

The timing wasn’t right to go to a grass field at this point because of all the construction going on as part of a $200 million renovation of the south end of DKR (due to be completed in early August), sources said.

But if Texas coach Steve Sarkisian wants a grass field in the near future, it will be done, sources told Horns247.

Sarkisian has been asked about whether he’d prefer a grass field over field turf, and his concern about a grass field was wear and tear.

Sarkisian said because he likes the team to practice and do off-season workouts on the field inside the stadium, the concern would be keeping the grass field in optimal condition for game days.

The Texas coach noted that some of the top football stadiums, such as the Dallas Cowboys’ AT&T Stadium (which has also been the home of the Big 12 football title game), has field turf.

Another issue for Texas in terms of wear and tear is the marching band practicing on the field inside DKR. That could be alleviated when Texas renovates its football practice facility - currently located at Denius Fields on Red River across from the LBJ Library.

Texas athletic director Chris Del Conte has indicated a new indoor practice facility will be the next significant athletics project on the to-do list following the completion of the south end of DKR and the new Moody Center arena for basketball (expected to open in March 2022).

The new football indoor practice facility would include more space for the Texas band to practice than "the bubble" at Denius Fields that has served as Texas' indoor football practice facility since 2002.

I did some shooting at DKR in the grass days and NO ONE was allowed on the field outside of the team on gamedays. If Sark wants to be able to use the field to practice then a grass field is dead in the water. 

Has anyone seen any photos or anything of the renovated team facilities?

Edited by Pasken

38 minutes ago, Pasken said:

I did some shooting at DKR in the grass days and NO ONE was allowed on the field outside of the team on gamedays. If Sark wants to be able to use the field to practice then a grass field is dead in the water. 

Has anyone seen any photos or anything of the renovated team facilities?

I think the frequency he has in mind may play a part in this.  A cursory review of Alabama practice....practices show that they primarily practice in their indoor facility and or practice field but would hit Bryant Denny (grass) every once in a while. If it's something like that we should be able to make that happen.  Agree if this is a more often than every once in a while thing for Sark then grass isn't happening.  

9 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I'm pretty sure we used to have that same logo on our football field. Maybe McWilliams/Mackovic era. Or I could be completely making that up. 

1994, I was a freshman....logo was orange horns in white Texas. It was the same in 95 and I believe switched to the orange longhorn when we went to grass in 96. I known from watching a replay of Houston-Texas in 1990 that at that point our logo was a white longhorn at midfield.  End zone lettering styles have been all over the place.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I'm pretty sure we used to have that same logo on our football field. Maybe McWilliams/Mackovic era. Or I could be completely making that up. 

It was sometime before we went to grass.    Looked back at a video  on You Tube with our game with aggy from 1986 and it's not there which was Akers last game

• blacklab changed the title to Its happening (stadium renovations)