Denis Villeneuve's Dune

Michael Knight

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

Not really. Straight out of his mouth. 

Blaming JFK for Vietnam is certainly a take.

I mean - didn't the CIA kill him because he was "soft" on communism? (If you believe in that sort of thing)

Edited by ztejas

On 4/26/2024 at 7:40 PM, ztejas said:

Something I was wondering about is the Lisan Al-Gaib being an actual prophecy/fatalistic type thing or being more manufactured. I'm assuming it's sort of supposed to be open for interpretation and like a crossing of timelines/time is cyclical/an illusion type deal. 

Spoiler

It's not really open to interpretation: The prophecy is absolutely manufactured, and yet Paul is very much the person the prophecy makes him out to be.

BUT... one of the key aspects of the story is that Jessica was supposed to have a daughter, but she fell in love with Duke Atreides and gave him a son. And this messed up the plan. So Paul ends up being the Kwisatz Haderach, but not the one they planned, and outside of their control.

11 minutes ago, Rimbo said:
  Reveal hidden contents

It's not really open to interpretation: The prophecy is absolutely manufactured, and yet Paul is very much the person the prophecy makes him out to be.

BUT... one of the key aspects of the story is that Jessica was supposed to have a daughter, but she fell in love with Duke Atreides and gave him a son. And this messed up the plan. So Paul ends up being the Kwisatz Haderach, but not the one they planned, and outside of their control.

Spoiler

The Bene Gesserit plan was to breed the daughter that Jessica was supposed to have with a Harkonen

23 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:
  Hide contents

The Bene Gesserit plan was to breed the daughter that Jessica was supposed to have with a Harkonen

Spoiler

ACKshually, the plan was for Jessica's daughter to be the mother of the Kwisatz Haderach, a boy who would be the first man with Mother Superior's ability to see all the past AND the future.

5 hours ago, Rimbo said:
  Hide contents

ACKshually, the plan was for Jessica's daughter to be the mother of the Kwisatz Haderach, a boy who would be the first man with Mother Superior's ability to see all the past AND the future.

Mother Superior jumped the gun

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Rimbo said:

Yes. I do like this.

Yeah. She's just sexy and it boosts her attractiveness in my book. A bit like ScarJo.

Also she got very naked in Oppenheimer.

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

Yeah. She's just sexy and it boosts her attractiveness in my book. A bit like ScarJo.

She got naked in Imax. Her sweaty body left an impression. Most importantly, she was totally convincing as a leftwing pinko academic of that time period.

43 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I don’t personally find her all that attractive but I think she’s got more charisma than any other actress under 30.  I kind of feel the same way about Chalamet, too.  

I have some Pugh fatigue, but she’s more than fine as Irulan.

Excited to see Anya Taylor-Joy as Alia in Messiah. Also excited to get Duncan Idaho back. 

Spoiler

I guess the next giant hurdle for DV is the scene where Paul loses his eyes. 

Messiah is a lot of people talking in rooms. DV hates dialogue… so it’ll be interesting. 

18 minutes ago, ztejas said:

They're using spoilers for the rest of the story, g.

For the Messiah aspects sure but the BG stuff being discussed is pretty much in Dune parts 1&2. Adding more context from the book doesn’t spoil much even if you want to read it. In my opinion if you enter a movie thread close to 2 months post release then it should be a given there will be spoilers/discussion about the film. 

I have some Pugh fatigue, but she’s more than fine as Irulan.
Excited to see Anya Taylor-Joy as Alia in Messiah. Also excited to get Duncan Idaho back. 

Spoiler

I guess the next giant hurdle for DV is the scene where Paul loses his eyes. 

Messiah is a lot of people talking in rooms. DV hates dialogue… so it’ll be interesting. 

Gah. Ok that’s a big spoiler for the next movie. Maybe we need a thread just for that one?
  • Like 1

My bad on the Duncan spoiler. I thought Momoa addressed it in a previous interview. 

I thought I could click your spoiler since I read Dune and I’ve seen both movies. I wasn’t expecting a spoiler for Messiah.

1 minute ago, Sam Lin said:

I'd say we should put a 

Hide contents

Spoiler within a

Hide contents

Spoiler,

Hide contents

But this isn't the Inception thread.

No, just plans within plans within plans. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

Maybe? All I'm sayin is that if Florence Pugh and Rebecca Ferguson are at a party, you can have Pugh.  No problem, my friend. 

Dibs on fighting with my family Pugh. 

IMG_2637.jpeg

Edited by kingkoopa6
  • Like 1

On 4/26/2024 at 7:40 PM, ztejas said:

Something I was wondering about is the Lisan Al-Gaib being an actual prophecy/fatalistic type thing or being more manufactured. I'm assuming it's sort of supposed to be open for interpretation and like a crossing of timelines/time is cyclical/an illusion type deal. 

Just saw this on a Dune FB group (yeah I'm a nerd), it clips all the book lines talking about the Missionaria Protectiva and their practice of seeding prophecies all over. Makes it very clear that this was just one prophecy out of a catalog and the fact that Paul happened to land in a place seeded for Him (Kwizatz Haderach Him) was a hugely fortuitous coincidence.

Spoiler

dunemissionariaprotectivaprophecies.thumb.jpg.41af1f274bde1b975e0e7db62cb6c448.jpg