Dallas Cowboys 2018 offseason thread

DougO

A team that drafts for back-ups fails. This has been a frustrating draft watching the Cowboys get a thousand WR’s, a QB they didn’t need and a backup RB. You find backups in the open market and on practice squads, not in the draft. 

4 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

A team that drafts for back-ups fails. This has been a frustrating draft watching the Cowboys get a thousand WR’s, a QB they didn’t need and a backup RB. You find backups in the open market and on practice squads, not in the draft. 

In the 5-7 rounds you really are drafting for depth and sometimes get lucky and hit a starter. Just doesn't make sense to draft 1) guys redundant with cheap depth guys you already have and 2) positions like QB when you have a sub 25 yr old franchise starter and a sub 25 yr old development project that showed promise. 

2 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Or 2. One should compete for instant playing time and possibly be starting by the end of the season. The other one might contribute this year and if not this year, then next year.

They got a good back QB with a strong arm, because you always need a solid backup QB in the NFL. 

They got a great LB, a great 2nd round OL who will compete for a starting spot immediately, they got a load of a RB who will punish defenders while spelling Zeke, they got an early playing time TE who could be the starter by next year, some depth on the edge, and discarded a seldom used WR for depth at DT, which was a definite need.

So far, they've been pretty good.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

And special role players, as well. It's really frustrating to watch.

6 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

They got a good back QB with a strong arm, because you always need a solid backup QB. they got an early playing time TE who could be the starter by next year, 

Haha ok spit out my drink there. 

Really the draft isn't bad overall with the exception of those two redundant picks and that extra receiver, although trading the guy you used a 4th on and never gave a chance to play does remedy the receiver pick a bit. Maybe the 2nd round bust DT coming off foot surgery will pan out though. Maybe

Biggest miss was not taking LB depth with Griffin there and taking a TE that looks like Swaim redux. 

Other than that pretty solid looking draft. Really like what Chicago and Seattle did today though a lot better than Dallas. 

Edited by In10se

The QB pick is really puzzling. The knock on him was on that usually dooms any prospect from having an NFL career, slow decision making. Doesn't matter what kind of arm skills you have if you can't find a receiver and get the ball out quick.

They don’t want a te that is a good receiver but doesn’t block. They’d rather have 2 swaims and now they do. 

No issues with 2 wr either.  

Qb still makes no sense, they have 2 young guys already that they like. Can pick up another young guy easily after the draft or during camp. Would rather draft literally any other non kicking position there.

Wonder if they see Scarborough as an h back leading for zeke as well as his backup. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

I like Scarbrough.  I wouldnt have taken a qb that high but im generally in favor of drafting a qb every couple years so i dont mind it.

The only pick i didnt care for was the IU lb.  But i did think they needed 2 lbs.  Id prefer cichy but he may be broken

Love the first four picks.

All in all a typical draft for me.  A lot to like and some meh.  

UDFA is going to be interesting. My first calls would be to Poona if he doesnt get drafted and H. Hill and QMeeks

16 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

I think this has been a solid draft overall. We didn't have to draft a DT, and we were able to trade for Austin as well. We got positions of need. 

Tavon Austin won't be some difference maker. He had hype coming into the league but has never shown anything. Hence why the Rams unloaded him for a 6th.

And last I checked, DT was a huge position of need. But we don't value them at all so they talk themselves into not needing. Our DTs are below average besides Irving. And way undersized.

LVE's weakness is that he can get swallowed up by the blockers. So would it not make sense to beef up the DT so they can't just push them back and get to him? 

Skins beef up their interior by getting Payne and Settle. And we continue to just get backup players and have them start on ours. But hey, at least we got another TE that is a Swaim clone and tons more WRs. This draft should have been majority defense. Not all these WRs and a fucking QB. Go sign a vet to be the backup. This front office will never learn and will keep going in circles with this approach. Skimp out on the defense and you will continue to get gashed by good teams. See both Packers playoff losses. 

38 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Wait what?  They didn’t draft a “back up” until they took a QB super late. What, you think they’re looking for walk in starters in the 5th round and later?  If you get one, it’s awesome...but mostly these guys are added for depth and for potential. 

I can see why people might be upset about DT absolutely safety(they did trade for a DT though) but you’re taking away one of those top 3 picks to get a starting Safety or huge upgrade at DT. But I just don’t see how you could call this anything but a solid go good draft. 

And people like Vic continue to Bitch about DT being some huge need, and it’s not. It could use an upgrade but isn’t a glaring need like LB and OG was. There getfing Price back and traded for a guy that they’re hoping pans out. But the real question is where are they taking a stud DT like y’all want? Their top 3 picks wer exactly what they needed. 

Also, I have no issue with taking a QB there. It was not too high a pick to soens on a QB. 

Mall in all this team is better now than they were before the draft. And outside of TE they’re better at just about every position than they were last year. 

Edited by Drew
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Skins beef up their interior by getting Payne and Settle. And we continue to just get backup players and have them start on ours. But hey, at least we got another TE that is a Swaim clone and tons more WRs. This draft should have been majority defense. Not all these WRs and a fucking QB. Go sign a vet to be the backup. This front office will never learn and will keep going in circles with this approach. Skimp out on the defense and you will continue to get gashed by good teams. See both Packers playoff losses. 

The Skins also picked up Trey Quinn out of SMU with the last pick in the draft and I was really hoping that the Cowboys would bring him in as a UFA.

I still would like them to pursue Poona & Warren. Other than that, I don't care. I guess Holton would be good as well. If the NFLPA could just hurry up and get weed taken out of their agreement, things would be so much better. It's coming, but it can't get here soon enough. 

I'd give the draft a B.  They got likely starters or major contributors in the first 3 rounds and backups or potential surprises in the rest of the rounds.  Time will obviously tell but I think they addressed needs. I would have preferred one or two differences but all in all I'm good with the three days.

Pretty solid draft for the Cowboys over all. Would have preferred Griffin over that TE from Stanford since Griffin was selected a few picks later. I like the backup qb we have now. Kinda tired of kellen Moore's influence there but fuck it. Mostly solid picks and I hope Bo pans out bc good value with that pick. The Griffin one smarts though bc on tv and radio that Stanford TE wasnt thought highly of really and we got him at end of round four. Oh well. I'm just being picky

37 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Tavon Austin won't be some difference maker. He had hype coming into the league but has never shown anything. Hence why the Rams unloaded him for a 6th.

And last I checked, DT was a huge position of need. But we don't value them at all so they talk themselves into not needing. Our DTs are below average besides Irving. And way undersized.

LVE's weakness is that he can get swallowed up by the blockers. So would it not make sense to beef up the DT so they can't just push them back and get to him? 

Yeah but Switzer wasn’t either and all we had to do was give up a 6th round pick that can catch out of the back field and give us a much better returner. That’s an upgrade regardless of “difference maker”. 

And by getting Ward for Switzer that was great since we definitely don’t need Switzer now. I would have maybe liked to see another DT, but we use our early picks for quality guys and I’m sure there will be some UDFA DTs available. To me this is the biggest area of need

16 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

Yeah but Switzer wasn’t either and all we had to do was give up a 6th round pick that can catch out of the back field and give us a much better returner. That’s an upgrade regardless of “difference maker”. 

And by getting Ward for Switzer that was great since we definitely don’t need Switzer now. I would have maybe liked to see another DT, but we use our early picks for quality guys and I’m sure there will be some UDFA DTs available. To me this is the biggest area of need

You cant be a difference maker if the coaches never play you. Honestly, Switzer could be garbage or he could be thr next great NE shifty receiver with a SB ring on his hand soon. We dont know because we never gave him a chance after blowing a mid round pick on him. 

Overall on draft a C+ grade. First two days got 3 guys who look like 2nd round talents so solid B+.  Today some redundancy and a really weird trade for Austin who is total garbage. The switzer trade a net neutral since both he and the incoming DT are complete unknowns. D+ grade for Day 3. 

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Going through the players they took today and looking at where they were projected, it's clear Dallas took guys who looked like value. The QB was a 3rd round projection and you need to think of him like an asset. Good teams stop drafting for need and draft for value and use those players as trade bait or look to trade someone one already on the roster. The RB in the 7th round? You rarely keep 7th round players anyway. You might as well go for the one who has the most inherent upside. 

The draft is about accumulating assets. Teams that pick for need do not get it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

So maybe they weren't so dumb drafting an extra wide receiver

People who look at the draft in a one dimensional , semi-retarded way like several fans on this board have demonstrated maybe judge each pick without context but not everyone is that stupid. 

Unless you are the New England Patriots who are one player away from a dynasty you should always look at the draft as a place to stockpile talent. Hell, even the New England Patriots who are usually one player away do not draft for need. 

56 minutes ago, In10se said:

You cant be a difference maker if the coaches never play you. Honestly, Switzer could be garbage or he could be thr next great NE shifty receiver with a SB ring on his hand soon. We dont know because we never gave him a chance after blowing a mid round pick on him. 

Overall on draft a C+ grade. First two days got 3 guys who look like 2nd round talents so solid B+.  Today some redundancy and a really weird trade for Austin who is total garbage. The switzer trade a net neutral since both he and the incoming DT are complete unknowns. D+ grade for Day 3. 

Well with the opportunities he got he didn't impress enough. And at that point its on him. He didn't deserve volume minutes after his performance. It can go either way though just depending on the argument you want to make.

4 hours ago, Get ln My Van said:

Pretty surprised Holton hasn’t been drafted yet

Anyone  surprised Holton Hill slid down the draft is either a complete moron or a Longhorn homer of the highest order. When you are so addicted to weed that it actually prevents you from playing for your team in college, NFL scouts are not likely going to suggest to a GM you draft that guy. 

• Like 1