Dallas Cowboys 2018 offseason thread

DougO

this is the guy that called the falcons trading up for a pass rusher last year and then they jumped the cowboys and got Takkarist McKinley

http://draftanalyst.com/nfl-draft-notes-april-24

Sources tell me the order of the three players the Dallas Cowboys are targeting with the 19th pick is Vita Vea, Leighton Vander Esch and D.J. Moore. A report from Rotoworld yesterday stated that the Cowboys organization compared Vander Esch to Brian Urlacher.

I would be happy with Vea or Vander Esch, but if we're getting a WR I'd rather trade down and get one.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Viper said:

this is the guy that called the falcons trading up for a pass rusher last year and then they jumped the cowboys and got Takkarist McKinley

I would be happy with Vea or Vander Esch, but if we're getting a WR I'd rather trade down and get one.

For that to happen you'd better hope one of the top 4-5 QBs is still sitting there or else no one may be willing to trade up. 

I hope that report is true. It means the Cowboys may have finally gotten their heads out of their asses and realized the foundation of a defense is up the middle and specifically that big fucker up front commanding guard/center combo blocks often. 

38 minutes ago, Viper said:

LVE is rumored to have a narrowing of the spine and neck issues, FWIW.  A few teams have medically flagged him and taken him off their boards....

12 hours ago, Farkimedes said:

My love affair with Vea is rapidly diminishing. I just don’t think he’s ever going to give you a pass rush, and if he can’t, he’s not worth a 1st rounder. Sign Hankins for gods sake.

Guy hasn't even been to a NFL practice and you have already decided he can't rush the passer.

If he's there at 19 he's the pick.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

LVE is rumored to have a narrowing of the spine and neck issues, FWIW.  A few teams have medically flagged him and taken him off their boards....

he’d still be good for a few years.  didn’t affect earl campbell til later in his career.  

Lulz

Jones said he appreciates “having this draft here in Dallas” and that he hopes fans show they feel the same way by giving Goodell a positive reception. Jones was then asked if he’d be willing to bet paychecks on a warm reaction from the crowd.

“May be a pretty good bet, but seriously we all know it’s a convenient place to be,” Jones said. “I don’t know of anybody maybe other than me that’s had more boos than Roger has. I know about how that works. I do hope we can be positive in our reception. We are going to do something pretty special and he did have a final say in that.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/24/jerry-jones-hopes-for-positive-reaction-for-roger-goodell-at-draft/

So the pundits (non-espn) are thinking Vander Esch and James Daniels are the highest probability. 

Harold Landry sliding would also be a pick if he somehow makes it past 14.

If WR isn't taken in the first 3 rounds..  Antonio Callaway would be a very tempting pick.

3 hours ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

FWIW, we drafted Courtland multiple times in my dream last night. I was pretty disappointed and I wouldve preferred defense.  If it happens though, no biggie, I'm just a psychic.  

God damnit, if we draft the same player multiple times that will really be a waste of draft picks.

• Like 1

Was listening to Norm this morning and it appears something is definitely cooking for Earl Thomas to the Cowboys. This is a wet dream for me. Would love to see it. I'd definitely do the 2nd (#50) and a later pick -- hell we have 10 already -- to make the deal happen. I also like Norm's idea of sliding back 10 or so spots in the 1st (seems common thought is the 1st is about 15 or so deep with 1st-round caliber talent) and picking up a 2nd to replace the one that goes to get Earl. Then they can take Vander Esche.

13 minutes ago, Dr Fear said:

It should be noted that Seattle does not currently have a 2nd round pick in 2018.

Only way i'd do it is if it's sending them a 2nd next year. 

Another "value" pick to watch is Arden Key.  Another Randy Gregory project.

7 minutes ago, DougO said:

I wouldn't do a trade for Earl that does not include a swap for Cole Beasley, and possibly a pick no earlier than the extra 4.

The Cowboys need an infusion of young talent and no big risk factors.

I like the idea of taking risks in the 5th and beyond. 

11 minutes ago, DougO said:

I wouldn't do a trade for Earl that does not include a swap for Cole Beasley, and possibly a pick no earlier than the extra 4.

The Cowboys need an infusion of young talent and no big risk factors.

I'm going to die on this hill. YOU TRADE A 2ND ROUNDER FOR THE BEST SAFETY IN FOOTBALL!

And then we all high five opening day when the defense looks drastically improved.

EDIT: I may have misread your terms. My bad.

Edited by Ricky Butler

36 minutes ago, Amobie said:

Only way i'd do it is if it's sending them a 2nd next year. 

Another "value" pick to watch is Arden Key.  Another Randy Gregory project.

2nd rounder next year? Lmao. Why the hell would Seattle do this? Get nothing at all for Earl this year? That isn't happening. Unless you are saying there is another pick added onto this like a 4th or 5th.

Edited by Vic Mackey

1 hour ago, TornACL said:

God damnit, if we draft the same player multiple times that will really be a waste of draft picks.

It was kinda like a dream within a dream type situation. I woke up in my dream and was like oh that was just a dream, but then we'd pick Courtland again and I'd be like "fuck I'm still dreaming!" It happened like 3-4 times.  I was down a few dream layers. 

Edited by EvilCaseMcCoy

26 minutes ago, Dr Fear said:

I highly doubt Seattle would do a trade where the key pick is next year's 2nd rounder.

They're going to lose him next year regardless because he's going to want a huge contract.  They don't have as much leverage as most on this thread think.  Stephen said yesterday they wouldn't do a trade for him unless they were able to talk to him and agree on an extension.  Seattle probably won't trade him after the draft..... 2nd is too pricey IMO considering injury history, age, and cost.  So.... Jerrah will probably do it.

Earl ranked as the 9th best safety in the NFL in 2017 according to PFF. He's elite but I don't think you can definitively say he's the best safety in football. He's also going to be 29 this year. And a free agent the following year, so you're going to have to pay him a shit ton of money for a contract that begins when he turns 30. Removing my burnt-orange glasses on this, I wouldn't give up a second round pick for that. 

However, it's the Cowboys so it's almost a guarantee that they will fuck up their second round pick in spectacular fashion, so maybe it is worth it. 

2 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

They're going to lose him next year regardless because he's going to want a huge contract.  They don't have as much leverage as most on this thread think.  Stephen said yesterday they wouldn't do a trade for him unless they were able to talk to him and agree on an extension.  Seattle probably won't trade him after the draft..... 2nd is too pricey IMO considering injury history, age, and cost.  So.... Jerrah will probably do it.

They still would retain the ability to franchise tag him.

5 minutes ago, Dr Fear said:

They still would retain the ability to franchise tag him.

They could but it'd be close to 12 million..... I think the point is they don't want to pay a 30 year old safety almost 12 million dollars.  They paid guys going into their 30's in Kam Chancellor and Michael Bennett and I don't think they enjoyed the experience.

Seattle doesn't have a 3rd round pick this year either....

The notion of just drafting a safety in the 2nd instead is crazy. The bust rate in the draft is very high. You absolutely take the proven safety. Plus Earl would really help back there with all of our young DBs. Young talent is good, but you have to have some vets back there too

3 hours ago, Amobie said:

So the pundits (non-espn) are thinking Vander Esch and James Daniels are the highest probability. 

Harold Landry sliding would also be a pick if he somehow makes it past 14.

If WR isn't taken in the first 3 rounds..  Antonio Callaway would be a very tempting pick.

Callaway failed his combine drug test. Couldn't even get it together for a date that he knew. No thank you

16 minutes ago, cls0329 said:

The notion of just drafting a safety in the 2nd instead is crazy. The bust rate in the draft is very high. You absolutely take the proven safety. Plus Earl would really help back there with all of our young DBs. Young talent is good, but you have to have some vets back there too

It is crazy. I'll listen to fear about the salary cap ramifications, but a 2nd rounder for Earl is chump change.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/draft-finder.cgi?request=1&year_min=1990&year_max=2017&draft_slot_min=50&draft_slot_max=50&pick_type=overall&pos[]=qb&pos[]=rb&pos[]=wr&pos[]=te&pos[]=e&pos[]=t&pos[]=g&pos[]=c&pos[]=ol&pos[]=dt&pos[]=de&pos[]=dl&pos[]=ilb&pos[]=olb&pos[]=lb&pos[]=cb&pos[]=s&pos[]=db&pos[]=k&pos[]=p&conference=any&show=all&order_by=default

1 hour ago, cls0329 said:

There's always a bust chance, but there's a zero chance of hitting if you throw that pick away for a player with his best years behind him and comes with a massive contract that will limit your ability to stock your roster even further.

Safeties and guards are among the most likely positions to find good players deeper in the draft. Get extra picks, not fewer. Some hit, some miss, but good teams build through the draft. Dallas has no business dealing early picks for an older player considering their current swiss cheese depth chart, especially a safety. The best safety in the NFL won't fill the massive gaps in front of him.

Edited by DougO

i would like the cowboys to draft this way in the first three rounds, assuming the trade with Seattle doesn't happen. im also using who i expect to still be there with dallas' pick.

1st round - must go defense imo, either vander esch (lb) or payne (dt)

2nd round - i might go defense again but if one of these receivers is still there i would go kirk, dj chark, anthony miller with the 50th pick.

3rd round - they must get an lb in the first three rounds so if they take a dt in the first and wr in the second i go with malik in the third round with the 81st pick, if they go with a lb in the first two rounds i take a dt here with hand from miss state.

Edited by Mileslong

2 hours ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

It was kinda like a dream within a dream type situation. I woke up in my dream and was like oh that was just a dream, but then we'd pick Courtland again and I'd be like "fuck I'm still dreaming!" It happened like 3-4 times.  I was down a few dream layers. 

163c83323f456052d3eb7d36c5e9b0274fbefabe

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cls0329 said:

Callaway failed his combine drug test. Couldn't even get it together for a date that he knew. No thank you

We have 10 picks so spending a late one on Callaway could be a good move.  His off the field problems are basically the only thing wrong with him.

2 hours ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

Who's your dealer? I need to talk to him.

5 hours ago, irishtexan said:

Earl ranked as the 9th best safety in the NFL in 2017 according to PFF. He's elite but I don't think you can definitively say he's the best safety in football. He's also going to be 29 this year. And a free agent the following year, so you're going to have to pay him a shit ton of money for a contract that begins when he turns 30. Removing my burnt-orange glasses on this, I wouldn't give up a second round pick for that. 

However, it's the Cowboys so it's almost a guarantee that they will fuck up their second round pick in spectacular fashion, so maybe it is worth it. 

"According to PFF". For whatever reason, so many people use them as the holy grail of rankings and they aren't. Earl is still one of the best safeties in the game. He's 100x better than what we have right now. And he will be better than any 2nd round pick or any round after that we would take. I definitely would not give up the farm for him but he instantly transforms this defense. He will make every player look better.

Defenses should be built from the inside out. DT, LB and safety. But we seem to want to cut corners there. We have Jeff fucking Heath still at safety. We draft a gimp in the 2nd round in 2016 and Sean Lee who is made of glass earlier this decade. We don't take the DT position that seriously either. Your edge rushers and corners won't amount to shit if the middle of your defense is piss poor. I know safety and DT are not the sexy positions but in my eyes, they are the most vital to a solid defense. Seattle's Legion of Boom was what it was for those years because of Earl and Chancellor. They made Sherman and the other DBs look the way they did. It's time we finally address that need. In a serious manner.

I think Earl would be a big boon to the secondary but if I had the choice I'd rather package a pick with 19 to move up if Vea is there than use it to trade for Earl. An elite DT up front makes whatever LB you get look a lot better and allows the safeties to not have to play the run as close to the LOS. It helps every level of the defense up the middle. 

Tell Earl's agent that Seattle wouldn't budge enough for one year trade but we will sign him next off-season if they won't budge and take a pick for next year before training camp starts. 

4 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Earl is still one of the best safeties in the game. He's 100x better than what we have right now. And he will be better than any 2nd round pick or any round after that we would take. I definitely would not give up the farm for him but he instantly transforms this defense. He will make every player look better.

This guy fucks (fat cholas).

• Like 1