Donald Trump 2018

TheFlyingBoat

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

No way has Trump ever read the deal. 

That's why all Macron, Mattis, etc have to do is give Trump a copy of the exact same deal and let him sign it.  Everyone can play along like its a new deal.  Even Iran can tell Trump, "You're tougher than Obama.  You're really giving it to us hard, slugger," and give him a star sticker.  Then we can carry on with the same deal after appeasing our toddler in chief.

29 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

Most people's political beliefs originate in their gut.  And then they use their reason to justify it. Philosophers and political theorists don't have a hell of a lot to do with it. 

No not really. We are presented with certain ideas to choose from that were previously established earlier in our history. We pick sides on old debates that come from the Western Canon not our gut. Which is why no one  in the U.S. advocates new confucianism as an idea pulled out of their gut.

16 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

That's why all Macron, Mattis, etc have to do is give Trump a copy of the exact same deal and let him sign it.  Everyone can play along like its a new deal.  Even Iran can tell Trump, "You're tougher than Obama.  You're really giving it to us hard, slugger," and give him a star sticker.  Then we can carry on with the same deal after appeasing our toddler in chief.

Just add a paragraph that says Iran has to send trump a box of donuts with a crappy looking unflattering photo of Obama every time he recertifies it with a note that thanks him for easily beating hildabeast and voila, we’re done. 

Fart of the deal. 

2 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Well Trump hasn't even read the deal once. so there is that.

Edited by yoladu
i hate when i respond to a post 3 hours old and then continue to read the next 5 posts basically say the same thing i just posted!

1 hour ago, F250 said:

It's classical conservatism rooted in Burkean thought that permeates modern American political conservatism. Sure most conservatives don't know this but most modern American liberals know fuck about John Stewart Mill.

Most people don't really understand where their political beliefs originate nor care to know. Does a discussion on Rawls vs Nozick to determine the merits of positive and negative rights sound more interesting than the shit we talk about Here? No, it sounds pretty fucking boring so we fling shit for entertainment.

Wrong. Mexico is going to pay for the wall. 

10 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Wrong. Mexico is going to pay for the wall. 

That would be ethnic populism.I think of it more as a condition rather than an ideology. Racial strife tends to mask class tension. Its no coincidence the MAGA folks are also the one's that find themselves being left behind by globalization.

47 minutes ago, F250 said:

No not really. We are presented with certain ideas to choose from that were previously established earlier in our history. We pick sides on old debates that come from the Western Canon not our gut. Which is why no one  in the U.S. advocates new confucianism as an idea pulled out of their gut.

The debates don't come from our gut.  But what comes from our gut largely decides what side of the debate we choose.  Not because we are actively engaging in political thought, but because it provides a ready-made justification for the conclusion we already wanted. Which is why the "principles" are so easily ignored when they no longer serve our gut.  Why do you think Republicans are only conservative when Dems are in charge?   Because it's outcome determinative.  Small government, etc., is good when the government would be doing Dem things.    Then Republicans take over, and the principles are put on the shelf.   Or why "conservative" beliefs about the role of government never extend to social policy, where the government should extensively regulate vices.   There are exceptions, but I'm talking about most people.   

If you really tried to nail down the political beliefs of most Americans, you'd get things like "we should help people who need help the most" or "we should reward success, not punish it," or "we should keep America a Christian nation" or "we should eliminate white supremacy."  Everything beyond those core beliefs is just window dressing for most people.  They vote for the side that promises the results that line up with their gut. 

^^^

So many of these fucking weirdos behave like teenage girls.  Every motivation is based on emotion and they need to be constantly validated within their hyper feminine social hierarchy.  Most of them are total pussies.  It's uncomfortable to watch.    

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

The debates don't come from our gut.  But what comes from our gut largely decides what side of the debate we choose.  Not because we are actively engaging in political thought, but because it provides a ready-made justification for the conclusion we already wanted. Which is why the "principles" are so easily ignored when they no longer serve our gut.  Why do you think Republicans are only conservative when Dems are in charge?   Because it's outcome determinative.  Small government, etc., is good when the government would be doing Dem things.    Then Republicans take over, and the principles are put on the shelf.   Or why "conservative" beliefs about the role of government never extend to social policy, where the government should extensively regulate vices.   There are exceptions, but I'm talking about most people.   

If you really tried to nail down the political beliefs of most Americans, you'd get things like "we should help people who need help the most" or "we should reward success, not punish it," or "we should keep America a Christian nation" or "we should eliminate white supremacy."  Everything beyond those core beliefs is just window dressing for most people.  They vote for the side that promises the results that line up with their gut. 

Just to be clear, I don't consider Republicans to be principled. However, I do think the social issues being played out are subject to the push/resist social process mentioned earlier.

If you are saying most Americans do not fully weigh their political beliefs than I would agree. I  would just add they are parroting a particular political philosophy but they are just not aware of it.

The conservative social media personalities known as Diamond and Silk claimed under oath at a House Judiciary Committee hearing on Thursday that they were never paid for their consulting work by President Trump's 2016 presidential campaign.

Federal campaign finance filings show otherwise.

"We have never been paid by the Trump campaign," Lynette Hardaway, who goes by Diamond, told Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee (D-Texas).

Filings with the Federal Election Commission (FEC) show that the campaign paid the duo $1,275 on Nov. 22, 2016, for "field consulting."

The two later backtracked under questioning from Rep. Hakeem Jeffries (D-N.Y.), explaining that the Trump campaign had reimbursed them for airfare after they traveled to a campaign event. They insisted that they had never been paid for consulting work.

"We are familiar with that particular lie, we can see that you do look at fake news," said Rochelle Richardson, the other half of Diamond and Silk, when the New York Democrat brought up the FEC receipt.

"I'm just trying to figure out who is lying here," Jeffries said.

Bradley Crate, the Trump campaign's treasurer, issued a statement Thursday afternoon chalking up the confusion to a "reasonable misunderstanding" based on semantics.

"The campaign's payment to Diamond and Silk for field consulting was based on an invoice they submitted reflecting their costs for air travel to a campaign event," Crate said. "The invoice was not supported by accompanying receipts, so as a technical matter, could not be reported as a reimbursement even though its purpose was to make them whole for their out-of-pocket costs."

The two were invited by House Republicans to testify on social media companies' alleged bias against conservatives.

Earlier this month, the duo received a message from Facebook saying that their videos were deemed "unsafe." Facebook later said it was sent in error.

33 minutes ago, F250 said:

Just to be clear, I don't consider Republicans to be principled. However, I do think the social issues being played out are subject to the push/resist social process mentioned earlier.

If you are saying most Americans do not fully weigh their political beliefs than I would agree. I  would just add they are parroting a particular political philosophy but they are just not aware of it.

I think where we differ is that you seem to think the political philosophies they parrot are their actual beliefs.  I don't think they are.  Take the Tea Party voters and their supposed political belief that our government should stop running up the debt.   You think, it seems, that they followed a reasoned process to adopt a strain of conservative economic thought with a storied history, even if they didn't know about it's origins.  I don't think they did.  I think they only daid those things because they hated Obama on a gut level, it was a tangible thing to blame him for, and it was a good excuse to oppose Dem spending priorities.   And I think the absence of the Tea Party now, with the Republicans spending more than Obama and increasing the debt more than Obama bears this out. 

And I think most Americans are like this, to some degree.  Only some gut instincts are better than others. 

Edited by Mojo Hand

22 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

I think where we differ is that you seem to think the political philosophies they parrot are their actual beliefs.  I don't think they are.  Take the Tea Party voters and their supposed political belief that our government should stop running up the debt.   You think, it seems, that they followed a reasoned process to adopt a strain of conservative economic thought with a storied history, even if they didn't know about it's origins.  I don't think they did.  I think they only daid those things because they hated Obama on a gut level, it was a tangible thing to blame him for, and it was a good excuse to oppose Dem spending priorities.   And I think the absence of the Tea Party now, with the Republicans spending more than Obama and increasing the debt more than Obama bears this out. 

And I think most Americans are like this, to some degree.  Only some gut instincts are better than others. 

Yep. Republicans have no problem with government spending. They just don't like government spending on poor people.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chooky said:

^^^

So many of these fucking weirdos behave like teenage girls.  Every motivation is based on emotion and they need to be constantly validated within their hyper feminine social hierarchy.  Most of them are total pussies.  It's uncomfortable to watch.    

This.

More than anything else....do people not realize how absolutely fucking pathetic this gang is?  A toddler narcissist surrounded by simpering sycophants with no self esteem.  If "pathetic" wasn't already a word, we'd have to invent it for these losers.

1 hour ago, Mojo Hand said:

No, I don't think the average voter has a well thought out political philosophy. I think they just parrot certain aspects without understanding what they are really advocating.

52 minutes ago, F250 said:

No, I don't think the average voter has a well thought out political philosophy. I think they just parrot certain aspects without understanding what they are really advocating.

The Trump supporters certainly don’t have a well thought out political philosophy.  It boils down to them being willing to support a traitor and sell their country down the river because they enjoy feeling like they’re doing something that makes other Americans mad. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chooky said:

^^^

Confidence is the intoxicating end all, be all for the GOP base. The more, the better. Everything else pales in importance. It's why chicks with low self-esteem end up with douchebags, it's why Donald Trump is president, it's why Dunning Kruger is a thing in our culture. It's rewarded almost to the exclusion of everything else.  

14 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The conservative social media personalities known as Diamond and Silk claimed under oath at a House Judiciary Committee hearing on Thursday that they were never paid for their consulting work by President Trump's 2016 presidential campaign.

Federal campaign finance filings show otherwise.

"We have never been paid by the Trump campaign," Lynette Hardaway, who goes by Diamond, told Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee (D-Texas).

Filings with the Federal Election Commission (FEC) show that the campaign paid the duo $1,275 on Nov. 22, 2016, for "field consulting."

The two later backtracked under questioning from Rep. Hakeem Jeffries (D-N.Y.), explaining that the Trump campaign had reimbursed them for airfare after they traveled to a campaign event. They insisted that they had never been paid for consulting work.

"We are familiar with that particular lie, we can see that you do look at fake news," said Rochelle Richardson, the other half of Diamond and Silk, when the New York Democrat brought up the FEC receipt.

"I'm just trying to figure out who is lying here," Jeffries said.

Bradley Crate, the Trump campaign's treasurer, issued a statement Thursday afternoon chalking up the confusion to a "reasonable misunderstanding" based on semantics.

"The campaign's payment to Diamond and Silk for field consulting was based on an invoice they submitted reflecting their costs for air travel to a campaign event," Crate said. "The invoice was not supported by accompanying receipts, so as a technical matter, could not be reported as a reimbursement even though its purpose was to make them whole for their out-of-pocket costs."

The two were invited by House Republicans to testify on social media companies' alleged bias against conservatives.

Earlier this month, the duo received a message from Facebook saying that their videos were deemed "unsafe." Facebook later said it was sent in error.

These two are nothing but a minstrel show to Republicans.

I can’t decide if they are too dumb to know this or they are very smart for knowing this.

Edited by Pancho Negro

9 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

So, according to Trump, James Comey is an awful criminal who should go to prison for committing the horrible crime of leaking classified information... just like that sailor Trump pardoned?  Something tells me Trump doesn’t remember sailor.