Donald Trump 2018

TheFlyingBoat

4 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Do you truly and sincerely believe that the Republicans and Democrats are equally incapable of principled governance?

Let me answer again. 

11 hours ago, Anastasis said:

I would contend that, based on the particular political needs of specific moments in time, both democrats and republicans are more than willing to let contemporary political expediency dictate their actions and positions rather than some firmly rooting principles on governance and precedence.  

29 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

Why are you twisting words into such a tight knot? He pointed out HOW the one party tried to reach across and have input into yes, what was largely an idea born from the other party's think tanks.   His point was about the HOW they governed, and you did some sort of strange word salad to say what doesn't even make a shit to point out.....both sides suck. Really?

BoTh SiDeS aRe ThE sAmE.

What else is new with this guy.

13 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Let me answer again. 

Pretty pathetic dodge, there.  He's asking about the present, under current circumstances, and not whether they're both willing, but rather whether they are equally willing.  It's fine that you don't want to answer, but don't pretend that you are answering. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Everybody. Chill the fuck out. All this is transient. We’re the American People. We got this.

We elected an idiot Russian asset president who is now appointing Supreme Court Justices.

We fucked.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

18 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Let me answer again.

That's not an answer.

Do you truly and sincerely believe that the Republicans and Democrats are equally incapable of principled governance?

I have bolded, italicized, underlined, and put in purple the section you are dodging.

Edited by bad_teammate

18 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

Why are you twisting words into such a tight knot? 

Twisting words into a knot?  Go back to post 14055 on page 282.  This sub-thread in the discussion spun off because I pointed out that DC is powered on a never ending cycle of hypocrisy. Which is apparently an extremely controversial position on shaggy 2.0, requiring a deep dive on the legislative history of Obamacare and everything related to it as the exemplar of functional and principled governance. And which further results in triggering quite a few posters to simultaneously both opine on my morality and to daydream about harm coming to my family.  But yeah, focus on the braids of the rope man. 

6 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Twisting words into a knot?  Go back to post 14055 on page 282.  This sub-thread in the discussion spun off because I pointed out that DC is powered on a never ending cycle of hypocrisy. Which is apparently an extremely controversial position on shaggy 2.0, requiring a deep dive on the legislative history of Obamacare and everything related to it as the exemplar of functional and principled governance. And which further results in triggering quite a few posters to simultaneously both opine on my morality and to daydream about harm coming to my family.  But yeah, focus on the braids of the rope man. 

Perfect Anastasis:

1) Complain about the utilization of specifics in an argument, because thinking and knowing history is hard.

2) Lie about the content of other people's arguments to protect his reactionary centrism.

Just a fucking garbage can of a thinker.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

Pretty pathetic dodge, there.  He's asking about the present, under current circumstances, and not whether they're both willing, but rather whether they are equally willing.  It's fine that you don't want to answer, but don't pretend that you are answering. 

Thanks for chiming in MTF. But that's not what he asked.  His initial query had an explicit historical component to it, narrow though it was.  My answer was an appropriate and accurate statement of my belief in broad terms.  I know that you guys really want me to believe something else, preferably formulated in a manner congruent to the strawman that you've created in your minds, and I am sorry to disappoint.  

8 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

That's not an answer.

I have bolded, italicized, underlined, and put in purple the section you are dodging.

Of course it's an answer. Just not the one you like. You prefer that I delve into a qualitative assessment of which party is more incapable of effective and principled governance? The lesser of two evils, because there are no other choices. Or "American Politics" as judge would call it. 

7 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I’ve never seen someone so determined to keep bad press about himself in the media.

I think you're misreading it...this is information warfare 101.  He's attacking the credibility of the investigation, and it's working.  His poll numbers are actually going up.

5 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Of course it's an answer. Just not the one you like. You prefer that I delve into a qualitative assessment of which party is more incapable of effective and principled governance? The lesser of two evils, because there are no other choices. Or "American Politics" as judge would call it. 

It's an answer in the same way that "blue" is an answer to "what is 2+2"?

I'll ask again:

Do you truly and sincerely believe that the Republicans and Democrats are equally incapable of principled governance?

Jesus, you are fucking dense.  Over sufficient period of observation, both parties have demonstrated themselves to be wholly and fully incapable of effective and principled governance. And both have demonstrated deeply consistent hypocrisy. 

Edited by Anastasis

5 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Jesus, you are fucking dense.  Over sufficient period of observation, both parties have demonstrated themselves to be wholly and fully incapable of effective and principled governance. 

So that's a "yes"?

Pressing someone for a specific answer isn't a sign of density, it's a sign that they recognize a weasel and are seeking straightforward answers.

Do you truly and sincerely believe that the Republicans and Democrats are equally incapable of principled governance?

I know that this has been rehashed so many times that there's nothing left of it, but it doesn't seem like problems such as healthcare reform are intractable. For me, the failure of the Rs to act was the clearest indication that the R party is broken, perhaps beyond repair. Others are more informed than I am on the details of the passage of ACA, but it seems that the Ds made much more of an effort to reach across the aisle.

The Rs remain mad b/c the libs passed healthcare legislation. Those same Rs campaigned for years on repealing ACA, and when that failed, what did they do? Stabilize ACA? Nope. ACA isn't perfect, but it seems like you could use the existing framework and build on that.

In a perfect world, there would be a way for all of us to receive good care and  pay a fair amount to our Drs/Rxs/hospitals/etc. Providers could make a buck and everyone would be happy. /pollyannish thought

Our society seems to be completely in I-got-mine mode, and there seems to be no turning back.

Edited by retread
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

I think you're misreading it...this is information warfare 101.  He's attacking the credibility of the investigation, and it's working.  His poll numbers are actually going up.

He should have saved it for a bit and not waste the Kennedy appointment buzz.

Now he’s got everybody, including Trumpkins, wondering what’s about to drop.

3 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Anastasis is doing his usual troll bit.  He could go all day.

A: DC is a perpetual cycle of hypocrisy.

Your balls are sore from being rubbed on barbed wire fucking fence straddler!

You have no moral commitment!

Let me demonstrate my morality by wishing harm on your family you fucking shitty human!

Obamacare!

Troll!

Good stuff guys. Totally hinged. 

10 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

No one has ever called the people in North Dakota "elite."

Also, he has a gold toilet and a living room painted like the Sistine Chapel.

"Oh my god, he's one of us!"

13 minutes ago, retread said:

I know that this has been rehashed so many times that there's nothing left of it, but it doesn't seem like problems such as healthcare reform are intractable. For me, the failure of the Rs to act was the clearest indication that the R party is broken, perhaps beyond repair. Others are more informed than I am on the details of the passage of ACA, but it seems that the Ds made much more of an effort to reach across the aisle.

The Rs remain mad b/c the libs passed healthcare legislation. Those same Rs campaigned for years on repealing ACA, and when that failed, what did they do? Stabilize ACA? Nope. ACA isn't perfect, but it seems like you could use the existing framework and build on that.

In a perfect world, there would be a way for all of us to receive good care and  pay a fair amount to our Drs/Rxs/hospitals/etc. Providers could make a buck and everyone would be happy. /pollyannish thought

Our society seems to be completely in I-got-mine mode, and there seems to be no turning back.

I have no problem with providers getting a fair price for what they provide.  The problem with American healthcare is it has become a machine from top to bottom for the plutocracy to make make money off of every single phase.  

13 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

Yeah, let's browbeat the small number of Green Party voters and not the shitty candidate who ran a shitty campaign that lost to the most disliked candidate in history.  

Voters and non-voters need the most browbeating if we are going to ever learn from this mistake.

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Yep.  I lived in North Dakota as a kid when my dad’s company did some oil exploration there.  A true shithole, and my first exposure to full-on racism. 

6 minutes ago, Js1 said:

He is all who they aspire to be.  If they can't be as rich as him, then they can live vicariously though him.   It's akin to being fans of a sports team, or a particular athlete.  They have elevated him to god status.  God deserves a gold shitter, right?

6 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

We elected a Republican who gladly and quickly takes the Russians at their word. 

I fully expect him to try and pull us out of NATO after he talks to Putin.

Oh NATO is about to be blown up.  The G7 Summit was just a preview.  Trump will shit all over our allies (AGAIN) then fly off to suck Putin’s dick.  The consequences of this could go a few different ways.  None are good for the United States.

12 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Voters and non-voters need the most browbeating if we are going to ever learn from this mistake.

Personally I blame trump voters but I guess that's just simple ol' me

Edited by seven

34 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Winning

I think it's better to focus on all the effort Hillary didn't have to expend campaigning in the blue wall states that made the difference.   Not to mention the convenience of having her government emails accessible on her personal device, or the lucrative speaking fees and donations her husband and foundation respectively received by dispensing with the whole "appearance of impropriety" thing when handed out access as SoS.  And how about the excitement of a historic female candidacy that was achieved by clearing the field of credible competitors so primary voters didn't have much choice?   The Dem establishment and PUMAs will always have that! 

People who didn't vote Hillary anyway and went third party or didn't vote made a bad choice, given the alternative.   But it was her job to earn their votes and her massive failure in losing the election.  The takeaway from a party standpoint has to be better candidates, not shaming people into accepting more bad ones. 

Edited by Mojo Hand
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

We elected an idiot Russian asset president who is now appointing Supreme Court Justices.

We fucked.

Back around 2009 / 2010 some wacko Russian professor gave a presentation on how the United States would dissolve and be broken up into various regions.  I think it was about six or seven different grouping of states.  Back then I laughed at it and wrote it off as general nonsense.  Now... not so much, dude may have been one of the originators of all this shit.

5 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

I think it's better to focus on all the effort Hillary didn't have to expend campaigning in the blue wall states that made the difference.   Not to mention the convenience of having her government emails accessible on her personal device, or the lucrative speaking fees and donations her husband and foundation respectively received by dispensing with the whole "appearance of impropriety" thing when handed out access as SoS.  And how about the excitement of a historic female candidacy that was achieved by clearing the field of credible competitors so primary voters didn't have much choice?   The Dem establishment and PUMAs will always have that! 

People who didn't vote Hillary anyway made a bad choice, given the alternative.   But it was her job to earn their votes and her massive failure in losing the election.  The takeaway from a party standpoint has to be better candidates, not shaming people into accepting more bad ones. 

Bullshit.  Any educated rational American could easily see Trump was an extremely dangerous candidate. 

Any alternative that espoused or even paid lip service to democracy was a better option.  

Voters should have gone out of their way to ensure he was never given any real power, even if that meant voting for a shitty candidate.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Back around 2009 / 2010 some wacko Russian professor gave a presentation on how the United States would dissolve and be broken up into various regions.  I think it was about six or seven different grouping of states.  Back then I laughed at it and wrote it off as general nonsense.  Now... not so much, dude may have been one of the originators of all this shit.

I was thinking about that the other day. There was a long thread on it on the old site. 

47 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Jesus, you are fucking dense.  Over sufficient period of observation, both parties have demonstrated themselves to be wholly and fully incapable of effective and principled governance. And both have demonstrated deeply consistent hypocrisy. 

But only one has managed to piss off the Canadians. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, seven said:

Personally I blame trump voters but I guess that's just simple ol' me

We are all to blame.  It is all of us.  We got fat and lazy.  

Voting isn't enough. Voting for the right person isn't enough.  We watched Honey Boo Boo and debated so-called bathroom bills, while the parties ran to the extremes due to extreme gerrymandering, politics got overtaken by money, and our media outlets were gutted.

• Like 3