Donald Trump 2018

TheFlyingBoat

49 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I would contend that, based on the particular political needs of specific moments in time, both democrats and republicans are more than willing to let contemporary political expediency dictate their actions and positions rather than some firmly rooting principles on governance and precedence. But you already knew my position, and deep down inside you know it to be true. But there is more straw in the field to fill out the arms of your construction.  

It's not true at all.

Compare the passage of Obamacare to anything done legislatively under Trump. The Democrats desperately tried to get Republican support they didn't even need; compromising constantly and passing Republican amendments to the legislation they ended up getting zero Republican votes for.

Your position is wrong and terrible, but I genuinely don't think you're capable of having a moral or ethical center beyond, "I'm in the middle!" no matter what is happening in the world around you.

7 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

It's not true at all.

Compare the passage of Obamacare to anything done legislatively under Trump. The Democrats desperately tried to get Republican support they didn't even need; compromising constantly and passing Republican amendments to the legislation they ended up getting zero Republican votes for.

Your position is wrong and terrible, but I genuinely don't think you're capable of having a moral or ethical center beyond, "I'm in the middle!" no matter what is happening in the world around you.

Keep tilting at strawmen.  You know that the political parties that make up our government are spineless cowards, incapable of holding a position based on principled governance. But cling to Obamacare as your exemplar of legislative functionality, cause that is particularly cute.  

8 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Keep tilting at strawmen.  You know that the political parties that make up our government are spineless cowards, incapable of holding a position based on principled governance. But cling to Obamacare as your exemplar of legislative functionality, cause that is particularly cute.  

You’ve excelled at straddling fences so long, I’m surprised your balls, if they still exist, aren’t sticking out of your shoulders.  Do you have any conviction?   Maybe I missed it.   Which is likely.  But you’d be better off stating your position clearly rather than both siding things constantly. 

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Like 1

The fact that, compared to the current regime, the shitshow that is Obamacare IS an example of a better path should tell you something.

Your reset button has breathtaking collateral damage. I hope that in the collapse that follows, you have to seek refuge with your family somewhere...and y’all are treated with good old American hospitality, Stephen Miller style. Won’t that be a hoot?

Just now, Judge Roybeanbag said:

You’ve excelled at straddling fences so long, I’m surprised your balls, if they still exist, aren’t sticking out of your shoulders.  Do you have any conviction?   Maybe I missed it.   Which is likely.  But you’d be better off stating your position clearly rather than both siding things constantly. 

I'm sorry. You think that voting for a democrat or a republican demonstrates some conviction? LOL. I am happy to walk issue by issue with you on my thoughts, but that would largely be a waste of time. Yet, I am still willing to engage on it if you are. 

Just now, Brisketexan said:

The fact that, compared to the current regime, the shitshow that is Obamacare IS an example of a better path should tell you something.

Your reset button has breathtaking collateral damage. I hope that in the collapse that follows, you have to seek refuge with your family somewhere...and y’all are treated with good old American hospitality, Stephen Miller style. Won’t that be a hoot?

1 part whataboutism mixed with hysterical endoftheworldism.  About what I would expect from you. 

1 part whataboutism mixed with hysterical endoftheworldism.  About what I would expect from you. 

And the moral commitment of a heavily salted garden slug - exactly what we expect from you

Again, if there’s a just world, you and your family will get caught in the damage of your “reset button.” Omelettes, eggs, and all that.
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

And the moral commitment of a heavily salted garden slug - exactly what we expect from you

Again, if there’s a just world, you and your family will get caught in the damage of your “reset button.” Omelettes, eggs, and all that.

Lol @ a just world, created in the dementia of your mind, tied up in the message board personality created out of your own delusional state with no bearing in reality.

I'll worry about my moral commitment to my fellow man.  You keep doing you. As productive as it is. 

Edited by Anastasis

Lol @ a just world, created in the dementia of your mind, tied up in the message board personality created out of your own delusional state with no bearing in reality.
I'll worry about my moral commitment to my fellow man.  You keep doing you. As productive as it is. 

You are who you are.

It surely has some relation to who you are here. Which is a shitty human being. But, you know, that’s cool. Detached both sides and stuff.

15 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Your problem is you don’t have a moral commitment worth stating.  Oh you can go on on about shit that’s in your wheelhouse.  But that is dangerously narrow.  This isn’t that stupid fucking game where you roll the marble up and down the arms and hope it falls in the right hole.  This is American Politics.  If you want to avoid collateral damage, you have to grab a platform and try like hell to shape it.   You just sit back and snipe and gripe, and your offspring will be worse for it.  That’s not my problem so, tough shit I’m sure you won’t miss me.  You might miss the point, though, brother. 

And by the way I’m not calling you a shitty human being, not at all.  I respect your line of work. I just think you need to at some point in your life speak out on what that line, your calling is going to serve and stop backwalking and apologizing and sniping.  Be a man.  Believe in something for once.  

In the end it doesn’t really matter.  I’m reminded of voting day in south Austin when a kid wheeled an obese disabled diabetic woman in in and she screeched “make America Great Again” which she wasn’t supposed to do and he yelled “make a gramma mate again”. Because they were all mentally challenged.  There ya go.  

24 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Your problem is you don’t have a moral commitment worth stating.  Oh you can go on on about shit that’s in your wheelhouse.  But that is dangerously narrow.  This isn’t that stupid fucking game where you roll the marble up and down the arms and hope it falls in the right hole.  This is American Politics. 

Thank you for pointing out my narrow sightedness. I mean.  I am not quite sure what I would ever do without you and brisket calibrating my expectations against the broader view of world history. American dysfunctional politics.  On which the fate of all hold perilously in the balance.  Jesus. Fuck off and go focus on building more drones to bomb brown people.  That's your wheelhouse. 

Edited by Anastasis

11 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Thank you for pointing out my narrow sightedness. I mean.  I am not quite sure what I would ever do without you and brisket calibrating my expectations against the broader view of world history. American dysfunctional politics.  On which the fate of all hold perilously in the balance.  Jesus. Fuck off and go focus on building more drones to bomb brown people.  That's your wheelhouse. 

Sure brother, go on denying supporting the same.  Or maybe you weren’t, or you were.   Oh fuck it you were ALWAYS on the right side.   I’ll go do my job and you do yours.  I won’t lie about my political proclivities though like you do to save your shit.  

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

You have gotten to the point that you are hoping that harm will come to the family of a fellow Christian over a disagreement on the internet.  You see this as proper justice.  

1 minute ago, Aphelion said:

You have gotten to the point that you are hoping that harm will come to the family of a fellow Christian over a disagreement on the internet.  You see this as proper justice.  

Something, something, Other, Tribalism, something. 

7 minutes ago, F250 said:

Why is it Anastasis catches shit for using a metaphor but a virulent anti-Trump poster never catches flack for his constant allusions to violence?

Y'all people need some perspective.

Fuck you, you and your whole family should burn in hell.

You don’t see being hoisted on your own petard as rather...Classic?

My point is that I want NOBODY to experience that. But we’ve decided that it’s ok. And we’ve decided that being a bystander is a morally responsible path. So, based on those realities...all things considered, I’d prefer the misfortune to fall on the bad actors and the complicit.

I’m good with that.

7 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

My point is that I want NOBODY to experience that. But we’ve decided that it’s ok. And we’ve decided that being a bystander is a morally responsible path. So, based on those realities...all things considered, I’d prefer the misfortune to fall on the bad actors and the complicit.

giphy.gif

Edited by Anastasis
f imgur

1 hour ago, F250 said:

Sympathy for the Devil is being played at the Trump rally in Fargo. Seems like an odd choice.

I really believe the Trump administration and Donald Trump himself is the epitome of LaVeyan Satanism.

I thought you were kidding about the song.  Damn.  Trump’s trolling his base.

4 hours ago, Anastasis said:

You know that the political parties that make up our government are spineless cowards, incapable of holding a position based on principled governance.

I provided specific evidence that one party is far more capable of principled governance than the other, and you have no counter-argument other than gifs and "cute". The reality is that, while both parties are bad, they are bad for different reasons and to different extents. Your inability or unwillingness to discern differences between the parties is not something to be proud of.

What good are your ideals when you're completely blind to the political reality in which those ideals exist?

Do you truly and sincerely believe that the Republicans and Democrats are equally incapable of principled governance?

2 hours ago, Aphelion said:

Anastasis runs perpetual interference for fascism by focusing the entirety of his "well, actually, both sides" bullshit on shouting down those who oppose the growing power of the fascists. There is no functional difference between the useful idiot, the quisling, and the fascist himself. All up against the wall, please.

• Like 1

So. Much. Winning. I am shocked. Shocked, I say!

The Republican tax reform package that was supposed to raise wages and spur hiring has instead funded a record stock buyback and dividend spree, benefiting investors and company executives over workers.

President Donald Trump signed the bill in December last year, saying the corporate tax cut would make it favorable for companies to bring back into the U.S. cash stashed in foreign operations.

"More than 70 percent of this [tax cut] will be returned to workers," said White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders at a January press conference after the bill came into effect.

However, companies have instead used the extra cash to spend billions of dollars buying back their own stock, boosting the value of shares held by investors. Buybacks reduce the number of shares on the market, immediately increasing the value of the shares that investors already hold.

Over the past year, S&P 500 companies have given their shareholders a record $1 trillion in the form of buybacks and dividends, led by Apple, Cisco Systems, and other technology giants.

Stock repurchases hit nearly $190 billion in the first quarter for the S&P 500, according to preliminary results from S&P Dow Jones Indices. The last time that record was set was just before the Great Recession, when companies bought up almost $172 billion of buybacks.

Compounding the issue is a recent study by the Office of SEC Commissioner Robert Jackson that found that a stock buyback announcement often leads to a short-term stock price pop, which corporate insiders use to cash out their shares.

"I think it’s high time the SEC reexamine its outdated buybacks rules,” said Rob Jackson, a commissioner at the agency.

Labor market expert Harry Holzer, a professor of public policy at Georgetown, told NBC News that he and his colleagues aren't surprised that the corporate tax cut's main beneficiaries haven't been workers.

"Productivity has been lousy in the U.S. since the dotcom boom ended, but companies have seemed to not need high productivity to have high profits, so they don't have incentive to invest in their workers or in capital," he said. "Throwing more money at them to lower corporate taxes is not something that will solve that problem."

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/economy/what-did-corporate-america-do-tax-break-buy-record-amounts-n886621

Edited by Horn Under a Bad Sign
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

I provided specific evidence that one party is far more capable of principled governance than the other, and you have no counter-argument other than gifs and "cute".

Your example of "principled governance" is the democratic passage of Obamacare. You highlight the compromising nature of the Democrats in passing that legislation, when in reality they were cutting the progressive wings of their healthcare plan as a result of the dysfunction and schism and compromise within their own caucus. So a healthcare reform bill becomes a health insurance reform bill, based on the outline of a conservative think thank and Republican designs. But won't somebody think of the technical amendments! Yes, tell me about all the differences between Democrats and the Republicans when it comes to political positions based on principles and not political expediency. The Democrats passing a Republican health insurance reform bill is a great example to lead with in the discussion. 

Edited by Anastasis

18 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Your example of "principled governance" is the democratic passage of Obamacare. You highlight the compromising nature of the Democrats in passing that legislation, when in reality they were cutting the progressive wings of their healthcare plan as a result of the dysfunction and schism and compromise within their own caucus. So a healthcare reform bill becomes a health insurance reform bill, based on the outline of a conservative think thank and Republican designs. But won't somebody think of the technical amendments! Yes, tell me about all the differences between Democrats and the Republicans when it comes to political positions based on principles and not political expediency. The Democrats passing a Republican health insurance reform bill is a great example to lead with in the discussion. 

Why are you twisting words into such a tight knot? He pointed out HOW the one party tried to reach across and have input into yes, what was largely an idea born from the other party's think tanks.   His point was about the HOW they governed, and you did some sort of strange word salad to say what doesn't even make a shit to point out.....both sides suck. Really?

25 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I'm going to ask again, because I'd like a straight answer:
Do you truly and sincerely believe that the Republicans and Democrats are equally incapable of principled governance?

The development and passage of Obamacare is a great example of a flawed attempt at principled governance. You're right to point out that it was not a purely bipartisan bill, but it is a clear example of the Democrats attempting (in vain) to work with a party whose members literally shouted at Obama during the State of the Union (Obama wasn't lying). Democrats tried to work with Republicans from the beginning. Obama spent hours with Boehner for votes he neither needed nor expected to receive, all because that is how he felt it was supposed to be done. The Democrats left the legislation open 

You're also right to point out that there was division within the Democratic party, but I'm not sure what that is supposed to indicate. There is division within all parties and the Democrats started with a plan that was designed to appeal to Republicans, which, in your diseased brain, means they didn't want to work with Republicans?

Anyway, a straight answer to the question in bold would be cool.

• Like 1