Minneapolis Cop Murders A Black Man

HenryJames

14 minutes ago, Captainant said:

The chief executive who is the top of the chain of command for law enforcement is openly advocating for extrajudicial killings.

And there’s a place for that to be discussed.

• Fuck You 4

10 hours ago, GopherRock said:

That's an MPD squad pepper spraying everyone. 

The cop keeps his knee on the guy after he evidently passes out. It appears to me he's doing so out of defiance towards the bystanders. He should be killed he same way on live TV with every cop in the country forced to watch.

At no point once the video begins was the arrested man a threat to anyone. Cops get off on making us lie on the ground where they can put a knee on us. 

Sick country we've got here. Don't even think about our rape-friendly prisons and brown children in cages.

Cruelty is our brand to quote Brisket. 

spacer.png

Thanks, America!

It's poor form to quote yourself, but the pattern is so evident. My country has become such shit.

There are private groups, religious groups, local governments, and citizens who do great things, but our national face is a scowling, honorless bully.

Those of us who allow this are like the good cops who won't band together to fight the bad cops and what they do.

If there is not a resounding repudiation of villainy in November...

spacer.png

...we're lost.

Edited by RomaVicta

Guest Lobo

I think we should keep the political side of Trump out of this.  However, the President has chimed in this morning with his thoughts on the rioting (and this thread does discuss heavily the rioting element to the developing story).  I think Trump comments/actions about the situation in Minneapolis should be fair game on this thread.  However, Trump comments/actions on race relations, law enforcement overall, etc. should be left to the CR.  I think that's reasonable, which of course means there's zero fucking chance that happens.  

7 hours ago, stone oak said:

The left is too ignorant to take advantage of any sort of political opportunity. Keep advocating radical bullshit and calling middle America deplorables and this is the result.

See: 2016 general election. Future 2020 general election.

the result is cops murdering black people in broad daylight?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

Jesus Christ you should be able to talk about how Trump is a dipshit here. For fucks sake.

It’s a slippery fucking slope that always ends up exactly how the Covid thread did...  so for “fuck sake” use the appropriate thread...

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Captainant said:

Calling for civility and reasonableness in our discourse in a thread for a race war while the police are arresting reporters and the president is calling for extrajudicial killings of "THUGS" is the height of irony

The stay at home protestors who were annoyed they couldn’t get hair cuts = good but angry people 

Black rioters angry because their people are being murdered by the police with no consequence = THUGS

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Js1 said:

The stay at home protestors who were annoyed they couldn’t get hair cuts = good but angry people 

Black rioters angry because their people are being murdered by the police with no consequence = THUGS

Yep.  See the statements about each group, from the most powerful man in the free world for those exact words.

How anyone can have any hope for this country, or call it "the greatest nation in the world".....I don't get it.

21 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I think we should keep the political side of Trump out of this.  However, the President has chimed in this morning with his thoughts on the rioting (and this thread does discuss heavily the rioting element to the developing story).  I think Trump comments/actions about the situation in Minneapolis should be fair game on this thread.  However, Trump comments/actions on race relations, law enforcement overall, etc. should be left to the CR.  I think that's reasonable, which of course means there's zero fucking chance that happens.  

You're actually calling for civil discourse rather than no discourse. I agree with you there. Strongly. But no discourse is worse than uncivil discourse.

I could do with a ban on calling posters idiots. That's not an argument. Expressing that opinion about a public figure, however, could be a valid argument.

Emotions run high right now. They should. Passion can push prose to heights or submerge it into a mangrove swamp. I don't mind wading from one extreme to the other in the name of democracy.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I will reluctantly remain polite in this post.

We're a republic or a democracy. Those types of things face issues in the arena of discourse. A republic that wants to divorce the means of policy address from discussion of events ceases to be a republic.

It becomes some limp, wan, mush of confrontation avoidance which may not even have a name. America could break new ground. Hurrah for the Red, White, and Blue.

I don't name Trump in my post, by the way. I speak of our vile national face to the world and the general need to change who we appear to be (actually are, evidently) to what we like to think we are.

Widespread police violence and murder against a segment of the population is a political issue.

Naming and condemning those who tacitly or aloud support that status quo is necessarily political.

The sudden desire to divorce politics from news issues corresponds with the timing of those supporting the status quo having greater trouble defending the status quo.

I can't go for:

Hey, look, the police are murdering negroes in broad daylight, on camera while nearby citizens peacefully try to intervene.

Oh, what a terrible thing. Maybe we should do something about that.

Oh, wait, hold on there, Hoss. That would be political talk. Take that somewhere else. I want to be argument proof, and you're treading on my right to be unchallenged in the political arena.

Umm, every act by government that is news is actually inseparable from politics. So maybe, just maybe, be a good citizen and actually participate in debate and think about your own viewpoint and how your votes and other actions affect the nation.

The thugs are rioting and stealing stuff. The police murder is back burner now. Hillary Clinton is a murdering whore.

Okay then. I'll end this polite post. With some difficulty.

I think you’re reading too much into the desire to separate our news from politics, at least as much as possible. And it’s not sudden. How many decades have news organizations kept their news and editorial staffs/sections separate? 

I view this much the same, personally. Its not that the discussion is unimportant. You’re right, it is. But it’s nice to have a place where you can simply find out what’s transpiring in the moment without so much commentary on it (it’s not possible completely, and I think trying to self-police on that is all that’s necessary, much like you did in your polite post). Especially when the “discussion” just tends to devolve into endless round of flinging crap at each other.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

How many decades have news organizations kept their news and editorial staffs/sections separate? 

Thanks for your response.

In the case of news organizations, I would say it's their ideal goal to inform public debate by focusing on accuracy. That editorial and reportage content are together in the same publication actually demonstrates how the process should work. You read the news then proceed to commentary and debate. This thread was originally named for such a publication at UT.

If this board wishes to become a clipping service, there could be utility in that. But that's not really what it is when the story is politically charged and people try to sidestep the elephant of politics. 

I submit that the exclusion of political comments in these types of threads is, indeed, a form of political statement. I perceive it as avoiding political accountability by imposing silence.

I think that some such threads, by attracting posters of a somewhat uniform political opinion, further intensifies a tacit but clear political viewpoint that does not welcome opposing viewpoints.

If this is to become a policy on this board, then we should rename it as the Only My Politics Allowed board and move the Dog, AA, and Snek threads to something new.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Both sets of protestors are actually good but let's not get carried away here. Many of my friends were lampooning them as being ignoramus Darwin award candidate morons

Of course the whole mortality rate of covid being as paltry as it is kinda blew that narrative to shreds 

5 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

That article is for events that happened Wednesday night, not last night. But I'd bet we're gonna see a whole lot more of it now that it's been rhetorically greenlit by the president

Guest Lobo

NO CR dude!  but as an apolitical aside (alliteration bonus points), weren't the MIchigan protestors the ones that came to the Capitol armed to the teeth? 

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Would you be happy if the protesters just burn shit down?

1 minute ago, workswithseed said:

Would you be happy if the protesters just burn shit down?

They aren't allowed to protest peacefully.  We were told that quite clearly when Kapernick tried to do so.

When you slam one door in a people's face, you don't get to be surprised or appalled when they choose door #2.

I'm not happy that shit is burning.  I'm just telling you for the 1000th time that when you deny them any other voice, this outcome is a certainty.

• Like 1

Just now, Brisketexan said:

They aren't allowed to protest peacefully.  We were told that quite clearly when Kapernick tried to do so.

When you slam one door in a people's face, you don't get to be surprised or appalled when they choose door #2.

I'm not happy that shit is burning.  I'm just telling you for the 1000th time that when you deny them any other voice, this outcome is a certainty.

No one denied him his right to kneel. 

• Fuck You 2

2 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

No one denied him his right to kneel. 

They just told him to STFU, he's a traitor, etc.  He was PUNISHED for making a political statement.  Minorities were told in no uncertain terms to STFU.

Come on, man.  They tried peaceful statements and seeking redress of their grievances.  America told them to stuff it, we don't want to hear it.

Well, okay then....you tell someone that, then they'll choose to send a message in a way that you can't help but hear.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Like 2

Just now, Brisketexan said:

They just told him to STFU, he's a traitor, etc.  He was PUNISHED for making a political statement.  Minorities were told in no uncertain terms to STFU.

Come on, man.  They tried peaceful statements and seeking redress of their grievances.  America told the to stuff it, we don't want to hear it.

Well, okay then....you tell someone that, then they'll choose to send a message in a way that you can't help but hear.

Wait, so people can't tell them how they feel about his speech? 

The question is was there anything legally done to him?

• Like 1

If you're looking to do something/donate money:

https://www.reclaimtheblock.org/

Reclaim the Block began in 2018 and organizes Minneapolis community and city council members to move money from the police department into other areas of the city’s budget that truly promote community health and safety. We believe health, safety and resiliency exist without police of any kind. We organize around policies that strengthen community-led safety initiatives and reduce reliance on police departments. We do not believe that increased regulation of or public engagement with the police will lead to safer communities, as community testimony and documented police conduct suggest otherwise.

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Aren't allowed to protest peacefully? Who isn't allowing it? Aren't you the king of posting "Free speech doesnt mean free from consequencez guyz!!111". You have the right to protest peacefully (legally) and be scorned for it. If you are decrying that peaceful protest isn't effective or that people aren't going to be quiet and not complain, then I think you've completely lost it.

Otherwise, the main difference between peaceful protest and rioting is the issue of legality. You've gone on record (again, and again, and again, and...) that the rule of law has been thrown out the window and is no more...so I guess rioting protest isn't illegal.

I myself like a good ole fashioned riot and mayhem so I'm rooting for them to get their catharsis and show Best Buy and Target, and by proxy all the Karen's and white folks, a thing or two! Let's. Go.

Guest Lobo

No they didn't deny him, and it was an Army Green Beret who gave Kapernick the idea to kneel instead of staying in the locker room.  

But it was the long game that worked for the anti-protest crowd.  They made it about the protest itself, the optics, about not playing football, etc.  They were successful in distracting stupid people away from the subject matter.  "Shut up and play football" crowd turned into a political movement, and nobody remembers what Colin was protesting.  Until this week in Minnesota.  Sad it had to take a man choking to death on a busy street in daylight, for people to finally remember, "Hey maybe it's not about football, maybe these people do have a legit concern."  It's a perfect storm, Floyd had to die like that AND the NFL had to get shut down for people to take notice.  If there were pre-season camps taking place in person right now, most of a certain political stripe would be telling those like Colin Kapernick to shut up and get ready for the season.  

1 minute ago, Johnny Sack said:

Most employees are not allowed to protest while they are at work.  Players can and do engage in political activity when not in uniform and off the clock.  Why is that distinction so difficult for some?

What percent of employees do you estimate are required to Stand at attention during the Star Spangled Banner? That is engaging in political activity by its very nature, otherwise not being in a part of it is also not political activity.

• Like 5

Just now, Lobo said:

No they didn't deny him, and it was an Army Green Beret who gave Kapernick the idea to kneel instead of staying in the locker room.  

But it was the long game that worked for the anti-protest crowd.  They made it about the protest itself, the optics, about not playing football, etc.  They were successful in distracting stupid people away from the subject matter.  "Shut up and play football" crowd turned into a political movement, and nobody remembers what Colin was protesting.  Until this week in Minnesota.  Sad it had to take a man choking to death on a busy street in daylight, for people to finally remember, "Hey maybe it's not about football, maybe these people do have a legit concern."  It's a perfect storm, Floyd had to die like that AND the NFL had to get shut down for people to take notice.  If there were pre-season camps taking place in person right now, most of a certain political stripe would be telling those like Colin Kapernick to shut up and get ready for the season.  

Players should be more politically engaged.  They should do it when they aren't on the clock though.  Just like virtually every job in existence everywhere outside of politics or media opinion stuff. 

Guest Lobo

So you've never seen white people do shit on the clock like register coworkers to vote, sell girl scout cookies, donate to a 5k>?  If Colin was out there with a "Vote Clinton" shirt over his jersey, or mentioned a particular candidate for California governor during a press conference, or had a banner over his locker that said, "Vote Democrat."  Yes, that'd be a violation.  Kneeling on one knee doesn't mean anything.  

Edited by Lobo

2 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Players should be more politically engaged.  They should do it when they aren't on the clock though.  Just like virtually every job in existence everywhere outside of politics or media opinion stuff. 

they should not leverage the most powerful platform they have to affect change. got it.

Standing for the national anthem is not political.  It is standing for the anthem and is not controversial for any of the paying customers.

If Tim Tebow started kneeling to protest the 50 million or so abortions done in this country since Roe, that would also be political and should not be done in uniform.

Bottom line is the employer gets to decide.  And most employers do not want their employees engaging in political activity while in uniform.  Whether that cause is left or right.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Holy fuck go to the cloak room you morons. Go cast your vote for the Blue Team, I’m sure that will solve everything! Yay!

I’m sure you all would still be 100% supportive if these “protestors” were burning down your business or threatening your family directly. Right? RIGHT????

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 4

5 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Wait, so people can't tell them how they feel about his speech? 

The question is was there anything legally done to him?

Really?  That's the only question?  Whether he was arrested and jailed for his speech?  You realize that society operates in multiple ways, laws are just one way, right?

He used his voice peacefully.  America told him and all minorities to STFU.  Not just that they disagreed with his message, but they didn't want to hear him speak at all.

When you tell someone to STFU, you cannot be annoyed when they then choose to communicate by other means.

We could have listened to peaceful messages.  We didn't just refuse, we pushed back against the very concept of peaceful protest -- we roundly condemned it, at the highest levels of society and government.  That was stupid.

• Like 3