Texas High School Football - what will happen this Fall?

msucolt45

5 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

I was just pointing out that the coach's argument in that video made no sense because the safety issues players traditionally face are individual and not transmissable.

If Susan's mom is immunocompromised and she is legally required to be in a classroom with Johnny Football, I find that to be a more unacceptable government intervention than telling Johnny he can't play a ball game paid for and sponsored by the state/taxpayers.

The situation sucks, for sure, but sometimes life is hard.

If Susan's mom is immunocompromised then shouldn't Susan's mom put her in the online learning group instead of in person?  My kids school gave them all the option of 100% online or 100% in the classroom.  If I or anyone else in my family were high risk, then my kids would be in the online group.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

If Susan's mom is immunocompromised and she is legally required to be in a classroom with Johnny Football.

The situation sucks, for sure, but sometimes life is hard.

Are there school districts that are legally requiring Susan to be in the classroom?  Serious question.

Because if her mom is immunocompromised she should be in a virtual classroom.  Johnny Football won't be the only student in her class that could give her the virus.

Edited by UTEX90

6 minutes ago, UTEX90 said:

Are there school districts that are legally requiring Susan to be in the classroom?  Serious question.

I don't know the specifics for all 1200 school districts in Texas, but I do know that there is nothing requiring school districts to offer virtual options, only saying they are able to for limited amounts of time. The school in Georgia with the viral photographs had a very limited window for students to register for virtual learning and only a small number of spots available at that.

Because if her mom is immunocompromised she should be in a virtual classroom.  Johnny Football won't be the only student in her class that could give her the virus.

Sure, but Johnny Football will be unnecessarily increasing the risk to himself and everyone around him by participating in contact sports. We can decide that the increase risk is worth it, but what we can't rationally do is dismiss the elevated risk the decision to let Johnny play poses to others.

We can prioritize things like football as community building or games as a participation trophy for kids who have "worked hard" or as a rite of passage that would be hurt our feelings to lose, but we should do that honestly and with clear eyes.

Putting this here because high school football: 

Buster Gilbreth, head coach of the Cuero Gobblers during their championship runs during the 70's, died this week.

But it was his 11 years with the Cuero Gobblers that left an indelible mark on Texas high school football. Gilbreth compiled a record of 107-22-4, of which 50 were shutouts. The Gobblers advanced to the playoffs nine times and made four State 3A Finals appearances in 1970, 1973, 1974 and 1975. The Gobblers won back to back Championships in 1973 and 1974 with undefeated seasons. Gilbreth’s Gobblers won 44 consecutive games from 1973 to 1975, shutting out the opponent in 27 games and allowing a total of only 161 points during the winning streak. This streak still ranks in the top ten of Texas high school football records. In 1974, Harris Ratings Weekly selected Gilbreth Coach of the Year and the Cuero Gobblers Team of the Year. In 2014 Fox Southwest Sports selected Gilbreth and the Gobblers to be featured in their documentary, “Legends of Texas High School Football” covering the success of Gobbler Football for the last five decades.

Obituary:  https://www.freundfuneralhome.com/obituary/7094740

Edited by Shaggybevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Shaggybevo said:

Putting this here because high school football: 

Buster Gilbreth, head coach of the Cuero Gobblers during their championship runs during the 70's, died this week.

Obituary:  https://www.freundfuneralhome.com/obituary/7094740

That man was one hell of a coach.  Would have liked to play for him as opposed to playing against him 73-75.  Had our share of ass whippings during their streak.

RIP Coach...

• Hook 'Em 1

I delivered the Seguin Gazette-Enterprise on my bike when I was in 8th grade. Something like 60 subscriptions were on my route. I won a savings bond for not missing any deliveries. Close to home and what not.

Edited by jw4381
  • Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Which one of you surly posters is popping his collar and hosting the Brook Hollow golf scramble the morning before this game?  

I like Todd's enthusiasm but I don't see this game happening unfortunately.  

Also, Cuero Gobbler is my new band name.  RIP Coach Gilbreth. 

This past Thursday I officiated a scrimmage in Llano. Everyone present was glad to be there, which a little over a month ago most didn’t think it would even happen.

It was great to see the excitement in the players and coaches. Face coverings were worn by all on the sidelines. The fans were spaced out in the bleachers.

IMO everything went smoothly and outside of face coverings, it looked the same as last year.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

To be fair, Westlake H.S. has 31% students of color.  Highland Park only 15%.  So Westlake is literally twice as diverse. 

I think you have to be white to be a Douche Bag.  Or Persian.

https://www.dallasnews.com/high-school-sports/football/2020/08/21/tc-cedar-hill-is-first-texas-school-to-play-a-regular-season-football-game-in-2020-traveling-to-mississippi/

Deion took his son and team to Mississippi to play this past weekend.  And lost.

The coronavirus pandemic isn’t stopping Trinity Christian-Cedar Hill from playing a national schedule in football this year.

The school well known for having Pro Football Hall of Famer Deion Sanders as its offensive coordinator became the first Texas school to play a regular-season football game in 2020 on Friday night.

TC-Cedar Hill, which had its TAPPS membership terminated in December, traveled out of state to play at Madison-Ridgeland Academy, Mississippi’s reigning 6A private school state champion. The coronavirus has been even more rampant in Mississippi than in Texas, with the Clarion Ledger reporting Tuesday that the state had the highest positive COVID-19 test rate in the nation.

TC-Cedar Hill lost its opener 27-26, matching its loss total for the last two years combined. Here are some highlights from Joe Cook, sports director for 16 WAPT News.

TC-Cedar Hill was able to start its season before TAPPS and UIL schools because it no longer plays in TAPPS after sanctions were handed down for violations that occurred after last year’s state championship game. For football, UIL schools in Class 4A and below can play their first game Aug. 27-29, while UIL 6A and 5A schools and TAPPS schools can start games Sept. 24-26.

The Southwest Preparatory Conference announced Friday that it was canceling all of its fall sports seasons. Mississippi public schools pushed back the first day of football games to Sept. 4, but the state’s private schools have already started.

TC-Cedar Hill has an eight-game schedule listed on MaxPreps and is scheduled to play at Knoxville Catholic in Tennessee on Aug. 29. There is also a home game against Bishop Sycamore from Ohio, two road games in Florida (against Gadsden County and Dunbar) and three road games against Texas schools — San Antonio Cornerstone (Sept. 4), Malakoff (Sept. 11) and DeSoto (Oct. 16).

TC-Cedar Hill won TAPPS Division II state championships the last three years. The team returns four-star quarterback Shedeur Sanders, Deion’s son, who is committed to Florida Atlantic.

Sanders scored the first touchdown of the season on a first-quarter run, according to online reports.

https://www.usnews.com/education/best-high-schools/texas/districts/eanes-independent-school-district/westlake-high-school-18991#:~:text=Overview of Westlake High School&text=The AP® participation rate,the Eanes Independent School District.

https://www.schooldigger.com/go/TX/schools/1776001549/school.aspx

Two respected authorities right there.  Plus the Eanes ISD website says something very similar (could be a bit of a delta there between the overall district and just the high school).  Obviously does not break out for white+1 other race, of which there are a lot in that part of Austin.  It's 31% non-white, whatever way you wanna slice it though.  I think that's a great thing for a district/high school typically viewed as being far more homogeneous.  Hispanic and Asian are at about the same levels (about 13% each, African America and 'Other' making up the other 5%).  

Edited by Lobo

My oldest daughter is a senior and the cheer captain.  They dropped their schedule this morning.  Only 7 games instead of 10, but I will take it.  

Not sure how it is going to work out, but Florida is allowing opt in or out of the state playofffs.  If you opt in, you are blind seeded - win and advance.  I kind of like the idea, especially in a shortened season.  It allows for local games to happen in place of distant travel, especially for the larger schools and the really small ones.

The optimistic proposal, based on the new Aug. 24 practice start date approved by the Florida High School Athletic Association last week, calls for a nine-week regular season starting Friday, Sept. 11, and state playoff brackets that would include every team that signs up to participate. A blind draw, not power rankings, would determine first-round matchups since the number of regular season games played by teams could vary significantly depending on coronavirus conditions and other factors in their communities.

“We just felt like as an advisory board it gave so many options for teams that have so many different scenarios,” said South Sumter coach Ty Lawrence, a member of the committee. “You can create any schedule you want. I believe it gives everybody the best chance to have a successful season.”

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/highschool/football/os-sp-hs-football-committee-proposal-20200730-5vc2q4xeendcrnjbqfxigp54wu-story.html

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Hpara759 said:

download this app to your phone..............

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fridaynightrivals&hl=en_US

I have that app.  The  problem is that I can't find a way to see a general schedule or scoreboard.  You can only look for specific teams or districts.

Sad news

https://www.kwtx.com/2020/08/25/texas-teen-who-suffered-heat-stroke-during-football-practice-dies/

GUTHRIE, Texas (KCBD) - An 18-year-old student-athlete from Guthrie has died after a mid-August heat stroke during football practice.

The teenager, Rue McNiel, died Monday night at Texas Children’s Hospital in Houston.

McNiel suffered the heat stroke on Aug. 13.

14 minutes ago, Hpara759 said:

What?

no love for this thread this morning?

Hell guys it started last night!!!

https://scorestream.com/explore/r/texas/high-school/football/scores

all you negative Nancy's …………..Texas high school football says...… kiss my ass!

Amen... great to be able to watch so many games online/TV too from all those schools you always wondered about or heard about

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

As the thread OP, I was “hoping” this day would take place with “all” teams in Week 1, but the 5 & 6As are only about a month behind.

I’m excited for the players, coaches, students, and etc. Everyone involved to include cheer, band, drill team, work so hard throughout the year getting ready for this, so hopefully a true season will happen.

I look forward to it too, because I’ll be out there wearing black & white stripes every Friday the season keeps going! I’m not looking forward to my game, SW of San Antonio, kicking off at an estimated temp of 100 at 7:00!!!! Come on sundown!!!!

Good luck tonight to all that have participants in this great sport.

Hook’em!!

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, msucolt45 said:

As the thread OP, I was “hoping” this day would take place with “all” teams in Week 1, but the 5 & 6As are only about a month behind.

I’m excited for the players, coaches, students, and etc. Everyone involved to include cheer, band, drill team, work so hard throughout the year getting ready for this, so hopefully a true season will happen.

I look forward to it too, because I’ll be out there wearing black & white stripes every Friday the season keeps going! I’m not looking forward to my game, SW of San Antonio, kicking off at an estimated temp of 100 at 7:00!!!! Come on sundown!!!!

Good luck tonight to all that have participants in this great sport.

Hook’em!!

Much respect to you Colt.  I would love to do that when my son is done playing if both my knees weren't totally fucked . 

My game went off without any noticeable problems. When we met with both coaching staffs prior to the game, masks were worn by both parties. Once on the field, masks aren’t required, and with it around 100 degrees at KO, I am glad they weren’t.

The players, coaches, supporting cast, and fans all seemed to be glad/happy that we were actually playing football. The Visitors won my game, but it was a well fought game by both teams and it was a “clean” game.

Best of luck to both teams throughout the season - it was fun being out there as an official. Hopefully we have many more to come.

Hook’em!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

The experiment begins, and while it's very very very very early, the world hasn't exploded yet. The best possible outcome is that all the rosiest views turn out to be the right ones and we survive and get football.

Feels very good to hope for such a simple outcome. Can't wait to see some games soon. I don't want these kids to suffer for my entertainment, well... anymore than the normal football suffering. But damn do I want to see some games again.

On 8/28/2020 at 11:32 AM, Hpara759 said:

What?

no love for this thread this morning?

Hell guys it started last night!!!

https://scorestream.com/explore/r/texas/high-school/football/scores

all you negative Nancy's …………..Texas high school football says...… kiss my ass!

On 8/28/2020 at 11:36 AM, TrashMaster G said:

*Nancys

Nancies

Nancees

Nansees

Nan sees me pounding Marcias ass

44 minutes ago, chikin23 said:

San Antonio ISD pushing athletics back to October. Hopefully this doesn't have a waterfall effect on the rest of the state.

Oh yes....I can see what San Antonio ends up doing will dictate what happens in Midland or Southlake   .....hell even Amarillo

I Bet Snoop Dogg GIF by chuber channel

• Haha 1