Jimbo 2023: Watch.The.Tape.

golfclap

19 minutes ago, NoName said:

I mean in the last decade Texas has played for a conference title...

A&M has played in two NY6 bowls (Cotton in 2012 and Orange in 2020) vs Texas playing in one.

in the worst decade in program history, Texas has won 55.1% of it's conference games. A&M has won 56.8%

Texas has finished in the final AP poll 4 times. Texas A&M has finished in the AP poll top 25 5 times

let's not act like there is exactly a large gap here over the last decade.

it's not quite as relevant but Texas has also won 7 of the last 10 games played vs A&M.

2012 was the BCS era not the NY6 era, and the Cotton Bowl was not a BCS bowl.

• Hook 'Em 7

7 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I am wondering on who those players were. I cant remember any serious injuries on defense. You had a freshman QB, but I cant think of any major injuries.

They're counting QB King for maybe ten games?

They're also still persecuting Calzada who likely would have exceeded the other QBs in their spring game. He won the only game they care about from last season as a predictor for this season: Alabama. Their QB with a year's experience left due to fan hatred. The legendary spirit of Aggieland.

I can be as optimistic as just about anybody. That part of me says we could go 11-1 this year. Could. I don't expect it and certainly don't predict it. They confuse could with shall. 

• Hook 'Em 2

35 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

They're counting QB King for maybe ten games?

They're also still persecuting Calzada who likely would have exceeded the other QBs in their spring game. He won the only game they care about from last season as a predictor for this season: Alabama. Their QB with a year's experience left due to fan hatred. The legendary spirit of Aggieland.

I can be as optimistic as just about anybody. That part of me says we could go 11-1 this year. Could. I don't expect it and certainly don't predict it. They confuse could with shall. 

I am calling it now, I think Calzone beats aggy this season if he wins the job. 

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, NoName said:

They still don't know who their quarterback is going to be and they're replacing multiple defensive linemen with multiple years of starts under their belts. Their wideouts, tight ends, and offensive line may consist primarily of players who have one season in the program or less.

the first thing i thought about reading that was our trip to south bend

protip: google <fbschedules aggy> produces the right result first

(checks site)

in '21 miami got destroyed by bama and michigan state, but their 3 acc losses were by 2, 3 & 3

don't know shit about them this year but go convicts

we will forgive '91 in trade for a coaster-derailing week3 locker-room catastrophe shaming

at night, at pyle

• Hook 'Em 1

This could get pretty interesting. Perroni's post is about Hykeem Williams.

At various times, the aggies have considered themselves contenders - possibly even the favorites - for several receivers:

- Williams (5*)

- Sampson (5*)

- Branch (5*)

- Andy Jean 

- Cook, at one time?

Now, it doesn't appear that they are the favorites for any of the above.  They'll probably still use bags to get a mercenary .. but if not, the performance of  their passing game / wide receivers during the season becomes that much more important.  To keep the ones they have, and land a reasonable class.

image.thumb.png.f0cf3c581bebadfcc2c56c3a565670aa.png

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Getafix said:

At various times, the aggies have considered themselves contenders - possibly even the favorites - for several receivers:

- Williams (5*)

- Sampson (5*)

- Branch (5*)

- Andy Jean 

- Cook, at one time?

Now, it doesn't appear that they are the favorites for any of the above.  They'll probably still use bags to get a mercenary .. but if not, the performance of  their passing game / wide receivers during the season becomes that much more important.  To keep the ones they have, and land a reasonable class.

The fact that Stewart ended up at aggy is hilarious. The 5 star graveyard. 

15 minutes ago, Getafix said:

- Williams (5*)

- Sampson (5*)

- Branch (5*)

- Andy Jean 

- Cook, at one time?

I would have Hale on that list because I am sure at one point they thought their qb savior King would real him in. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

They still do.  I read somewhere on this board that they think if King wins the starter job, he'll reel in Hale 

That’s after he visited last week. Before that, neither they nor bama or Georgia would accept his commitment due to unspecified issues. Then he showed them the smallest modicum of attention. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Big Woodrows said:

Rivals says Nelson couldn't commit when he was visiting A&M because the coaching staff were prioritizing Novosad 😂

2EE6CA13-4D95-4166-9320-C34AE25942D2.jpeg

Jimbo didn't even call Arch and didn't accept Nelson's commitment will be the storyline when he lands the 17th best qb prospect this year. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Big Woodrows said:

Rivals says Nelson couldn't commit when he was visiting A&M because the coaching staff were prioritizing Novosad 😂

19 minutes ago, Big Woodrows said:

4 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Is this guy saying they lost a head to head with Baylor?

i think he is saying they turned down prioritizing the #2 composite player in the country because they were too focused on Novosad, who has camped at A&M multiple times in the last year, who then decided to stay with Baylor.

A&M has done anything but a good job of recruiting him, going big game hunting for OOS QB recruits a number of times in the last 12 months and even when they had the opportunity to focus on him full time at the pool party they blew it by bringing in Nelson.

...dont forget Novosad's parents both went to A&M and met while in school there. this is the kind of recruitment Texas has consistently fumbled for the last decade.

they have put themselves in a reallllllllllllllllllly bad position QB wise - which we know bad QB room management - if they are unable to bring in an actual highly ranked recruit this year.

QB commits since 2019:

• Zach Calzada, 2019 (transferred to Auburn)
  • Haynes King, 2020
  • Eli Stowers, 2021 (i thought he had flipped to TE but evidently he is listed as QB on their roster lol did not participate in spring practice i assume bc of injury)
  • Connor Weigman, 2022

current QBs on roster are King, Max Johnson, Weigman, Eli Stowers, Blake Bost*, Jackson Oksnee* (last 2 are walk ons i believe.) we know if Stowers was at all worth a shot at QB they would have absolutely flipped him over last year when they were stuck with Calzada and Bost.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

image.thumb.png.76cbcf290daf80e2b4acb94ab107eb77.png

they may be able to do this for certain players, but without infrastructure it will fail.

if they were able to do things like pancake factory...why wouldn't they have announced it.

Texas A&M should be capitalizing on NIL across the board...but they aren't. they have a NIL program ("the fund") that has no website, no list of names attached to it, no goals, no marketing (sorry, they say they prefer to stay in the shadows and do their marketing player to player via word of mouth. raise your hand if you think this is a successful way to go about it.), without the corporate base that certain other schools have...that isn't something that bodes well for short, medium or long term success.

i know TTU is set up with dudes who want to spend money, but when your NIL program overall is leaps and bounds behind TTU you are doing it wrong.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, NoName said:

current QBs on roster are King, Max Johnson, Weigman, Eli Stowers, Blake Bost*, Jackson Oksnee* (last 2 are walk ons i believe.) we know if Stowers was at all worth a shot at QB they would have absolutely flipped him over last year when they were stuck with Calzada and Bost.

I think Stowers got moved to TE awhile ago

5 minutes ago, NoName said:

i think he is saying they turned down prioritizing the #2 composite player in the country because they were too focused on Novosad, who has camped at A&M multiple times in the last year, who then decided to stay with Baylor.

A&M has done anything but a good job of recruiting him, going big game hunting for OOS QB recruits a number of times in the last 12 months and even when they had the opportunity to focus on him full time at the pool party they blew it by bringing in Nelson.

...dont forget Novosad's parents both went to A&M and met while in school there. this is the kind of recruitment Texas has consistently fumbled for the last decade.

they have put themselves in a reallllllllllllllllllly bad position QB wise - which we know bad QB room management - if they are unable to bring in an actual highly ranked recruit this year.

QB commits since 2019:

• Zach Calzada, 2019 (transferred to Auburn)
  • Haynes King, 2020
  • Eli Stowers, 2021 (i thought he had flipped to TE but evidently he is listed as QB on their roster lol did not participate in spring practice i assume bc of injury)
  • Connor Weigman, 2022

The best part is they acted like they couldn't take 2 qbs like Bama didnt just get 2 top 10 qbs in as many months. 

As for their QB recruiting Weigman is the only qb who was a top 100 player and even then wasn't heavily pursued by any of the elite programs. Heck he even said Texas was his dream school before Murphy committed and we still passed (I think this was mostly Ewers optimism). 

2 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

As for their QB recruiting Weigman is the only qb who was a top 100 player and even then wasn't heavily pursued by any of the elite programs. Heck he even said Texas was his dream school before Murphy committed and we still passed (I think this was mostly Ewers optimism). 

I think he committed to A&M early and shut it down more than didn't receive major interest 

8 minutes ago, Fud said:

I think Stowers got moved to TE awhile ago

they had him there last year but found multiple reports that they are flipping him back to QB and he is listed as a QB on the roster now?

8 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

The best part is they acted like they couldn't take 2 qbs like Bama didnt just get 2 top 10 qbs in as many months. 

didn't realize King fell down to composite #131 overall - what a drop.

5 minutes ago, Fud said:

I think he committed to A&M early and shut it down more than didn't receive major interest 

that's my memory - he committed and shut it down. i think he only took 1 OV?

3 minutes ago, NoName said:

didn't realize King fell down to composite #131 overall - what a drop.

Yeah he had that 4 month stretch after a solid elite 11 that pushed him to 5 star land for a blip. 

4 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Yeah, Weigman was pretty damn talented. Time will tell if it translates to this level, but he was a good player in H.S.

Jimbo has yet to truly allow his mobile qbs utilize their legs (see Golson, Mond, King). Francois rushed for 5 TDs in 2016 but really wasnt a big yardage rusher. Will Weigman be as good when he is stuck making multiple reads every snap before running? 

4 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Yeah, Weigman was pretty damn talented. Time will tell if it translates to this level, but he was a good player in H.S.

A friend of mine who played and started at WR in the SEC and is now a successful businessman in Houston texted me late last fall after seeing Weigman in person. It was basically "holy shit, dude, that guy is as good a HS QB as I remember seeing." 

I've never really heard from anyone who has watched a lot of Weigman's tape or games come away with anything but praise. The guy signed with a dinosaur, has concussion issues, and has 2 guys in front of him that will present their own problems for Fisher if they're benched. So he may never matter at ATM. But he's going to be better than King or Johnson. Either he winds up simply being too good to keep on the pine or he transfers. If he winds up starting over King and Johnson, that probably gives ATM their best shot at a legitimate run if the defense gels with that talent. 

That considered, if King isn't the guy, his dad doesn't like Fisher already. He's got legitimate stroke in the high school circles of east Texas and Louisiana. Fisher better get used to finding guys elsewhere. As to Johnson, if he's riding pine after starting for LSU, I don't imagine that goes over well with dad, brother, or player. 

Should be fun to watch. I expect Johnson to be the starter, King to take a heaving dump on the program as he transfers out, and Weigman is a wild card in terms of what he does.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

A friend of mine who played and started at WR in the SEC and is now a successful businessman in Houston texted me late last fall after seeing Weigman in person. It was basically "holy shit, dude, that guy is as good a HS QB as I remember seeing." 

I've never really heard from anyone who has watched a lot of Weigman's tape or games come away with anything but praise. The guy signed with a dinosaur, has concussion issues, and has 2 guys in front of him that will present their own problems for Fisher if they're benched. So he may never matter at ATM. But he's going to be better than King or Johnson. Either he winds up simply being too good to keep on the pine or he transfers. If he winds up starting over King and Johnson, that probably gives ATM their best shot at a legitimate run if the defense gels with that talent. 

That considered, if King isn't the guy, his dad doesn't like Fisher already. He's got legitimate stroke in the high school circles of east Texas and Louisiana. Fisher better get used to finding guys elsewhere. As to Johnson, if he's riding pine after starting for LSU, I don't imagine that goes over well with dad, brother, or player. 

Should be fun to watch. I expect Johnson to be the starter, King to take a heaving dump on the program as he transfers out, and Weigman is a wild card in terms of what he does.

It would shock me if Weigman doesn't get a shot, especially after the giant turd they are laying this year in QB recruiting. I can definitely see king being the odd man out and burning down a major recruiting region on the way out. I don't see him beating out Johnson during camp if for no other reason than Johnson has a season of experience under his belt and seems to not turn the ball over. What is very interesting though, is that Jimbo's supposed opening up of the offense is coming from the Mike Norvell offense as outlined below. The RPO game would seem to lend itself better to King, and Weigman in the future, so if neither of those guys start this year it will be another Jimboing of the offense.  Now, notice that this was recorded prior to last season in January 2021 and we probably already know the answer. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Vertigo said:

It would shock me if Weigman doesn't get a shot, especially after the giant turd they are laying this year in QB recruiting. I can definitely see king being the odd man out and burning down a major recruiting region on the way out. I don't see him beating out Johnson during camp if for no other reason than Johnson has a season of experience under his belt and seems to not turn the ball over. What is very interesting though, is that Jimbo's supposed opening up of the offense is coming from the Mike Norvell offense as outlined below. The RPO game would seem to lend itself better to King, and Weigman in the future, so if neither of those guys start this year it will be another Jimboing of the offense.  Now, notice that this was recorded prior to last season in January 2021 and we probably already know the answer. 

You and I have different understandings of the term "probably", I think. 

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Cognoscenti of the ovine kind apparently disagree with you ... 

image.thumb.png.b9219e5b6001cb472e98e65400659ff3.png

"12-0 12-0 on his back" Screenshot_20220802-112422_Twitter.jpg

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I am not sure I follow this post.

Yeah, I couldn't post a clean screengrab - it was some large pics with the text spread around - so thought it might be confusing even as I posted it.

- Tarp wrote an article saying 10-2 was the most likely record for the year

- Posters rejoiced

- Karen said 10-2 would be unacceptable;  it had to 12-0, else the season was a failure.  And she had several posts saying King would be the guy to make 12-0 happen.  ("12-0.  12-0 on his back" were her words, followed by pics of King.  And his family.)

Below, a wistful poster has his hopes dashed.

image.thumb.png.3dd4cd3d050655139e5e63419d3f9cd2.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 7

19 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Wasn’t weigman considered some level of mlb draft risk as well?  If he really has concussion issues, maybe he should have taken that path anyway. 

He bypassed the draft this year to enroll at A&M, but if anything goes sideways on him he can simply enter the draft and be a high round pick. 

6 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

He bypassed the draft this year to enroll at A&M, but if anything goes sideways on him he can simply enter the draft and be a high round pick. 

he withdrew from the draft this year but I don't think he can enter the draft until he is eligible - so as a jr?

pretty sure he isn't old enough to be a draft eligible sophomore after next year (21 within like 40? 45? days of the draft)

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, NoName said:

he withdrew from the draft this year but I don't think he can enter the draft until he is eligible - so as a jr?

pretty sure he isn't old enough to be a draft eligible sophomore after next year (21 within like 40? 45? days of the draft)

Can you transfer to a JuCo and then declare after 2 years there?

• Hook 'Em 1