Surly Megathread of destruction and doom. [BEWARE VERY DOOMY]

clapclapclap

1 hour ago, Alex Karev said:
BLM Chicago Leader on the looting of stores: "That is reparations.... anything they want to take, take it because these businesses have insurance..."

EfKKB9IWsAAFSUt.jpg

excellent, so who can we mark off the list as having recovered their reparations? or do some people get double reparations if they need them?

Edited by dcar00

8 hours ago, Alex Karev said:
BLM Chicago Leader on the looting of stores: "That is reparations.... anything they want to take, take it because these businesses have insurance..."

EfKKB9IWsAAFSUt.jpg

So if a Native American decides to get an unplanned donation from her property she is cool with that correct?  Hopefully she has insurance. 

10 hours ago, Alex Karev said:

EfKKB9IWsAAFSUt.jpg

She seems smart.

"Just one bad apple!!!"

Edited by Cajun
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Cajun said:

She seems smart.

"Just one bad apple!!!"

Fucking stupid.  For starters, as we are seeing in MN, often taxes are required to be paid (to the tune of tens of thousands of dollars) just to start the permit process to rebuild.  This has since been waived, but many still it's a painful process that many will never come back from.  Saw one guy had to pay $42K just so he could get the permits to start the rebuilding process.  Taxes are also on improved property, which obviously is not the case anymore.  

1597269150_16868361+1demo081320.jpg?auto

And this childish notion that they "have insurance" - many national chains like Starbucks do, but the local community business owners often do not, or they have a basic liability coverage required to satisfy the lease agreement.  Even if they do have coverage, there is a massive spectrum of deductible amounts, coverage limits, the value of the inventory, etc.  Many of these small business owners are going to have to cover these costs out of pocket.....ie., they are never coming back.  As for national/larger carriers, let them verify if "pandemic" and "social unrest" are even policy coverage items?  All during an economic downturn with slashed revenues to begin with

2 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

And yet her words will justify looting, violence, and vandalism to many of the protestors.  Anger doesn't justify many things done during this very organized, cross country, protest season.

And her words are dangerous.  That's why I said F her.  It's very easy for human nature to gather momentum, and it's often not good momentum.

All of that said, even with idiots like her out there, there remain tens of millions of people participating in the movement who are actually working the appropriate channels to bring about change, and are succeeding in doing so.  Both things can be true.

Still moving into the burbs since last week. I personally don't think "Give us your house" is a good tactic to win people over either, but aside from disturbing the peace it looks largely non-violent. Also, kudos to whomever's Patreon this is, they've found a way to get paid to watch protesters.

Edited by MillerEP

1 minute ago, MillerEP said:

Still moving into the burbs since last week. I personally don't think "Give us your house" is a good tactic to win people over either

My neighborhood is chock full of gun owners; if those idiots tried disturbing the piece in the middle of the night along my street, I don't think it would end well for them.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

Fucking stupid.  For starters, as we are seeing in MN, often taxes are required to be paid (to the tune of tens of thousands of dollars) just to start the permit process to rebuild.  This has since been waived, but many still it's a painful process that many will never come back from.  Saw one guy had to pay $42K just so he could get the permits to start the rebuilding process.  Taxes are also on improved property, which obviously is not the case anymore.  

1597269150_16868361+1demo081320.jpg?auto

And this childish notion that they "have insurance" - many national chains like Starbucks do, but the local community business owners often do not, or they have a basic liability coverage required to satisfy the lease agreement.  Even if they do have coverage, there is a massive spectrum of deductible amounts, coverage limits, the value of the inventory, etc.  Many of these small business owners are going to have to cover these costs out of pocket.....ie., they are never coming back.  As for national/larger carriers, let them verify if "pandemic" and "social unrest" are even policy coverage items?  All during an economic downturn with slashed revenues to begin with

Some policies have a “civil unrest” disclaimer. But tough shit, you didn’t build that business anyway.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

Still moving into the burbs since last week. I personally don't think "Give us your house" is a good tactic to win people over either, but aside from disturbing the peace it looks largely non-violent. Also, kudos to whomever's Patreon this is, they've found a way to get paid to watch protesters.

When is BLM going to start the same stupid tactic in East Austin?

15 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

Funny, the more things change.....

39QAcJM14ngnJBxpD3U8MeAwNe-0SixNPJN78Eps

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

She....is not smart.  F her.

I listened to the full interview while it was live and she (or someone else) made the argument that people stopped caring about Covid when we found out that it affected black people more significantly.  

2 minutes ago, Hmmm said:

I listened to the full interview while it was live and she (or someone else) made the argument that people stopped caring about Covid when we found out that it affected black people more significantly.  

Racist ass virus.  FUCK COVID

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Wally Pryor said:

Well, we have had protesters outside Cronk and his husband's house carrying AK-47s.   

So we've got scoreboard there I think.    

Considering the propensity of these crowds to set shit on fire and use pyrotechnics & accelerants, this can spiral out of control fast.  Stand outside your house indicating you are in fact armed and not a "soft target", you can then face legal charges.  They've been doxxing LE's, so how long until some officer gets a Molotov through their window.  

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Considering the propensity of these crowds to set shit on fire and use pyrotechnics & accelerants, this can spiral out of control fast.  Stand outside your house indicating you are in fact armed and not a "soft target", you can then face legal charges.  They've been doxxing LE's, so how long until some officer gets a Molotov through their window.  

If you're looking for folks to oppose your idea of criminalizing carrying around rifles with magazines locked in as a tool of intimidation.....keep looking.  I'm all for it.  You parade outside of someone's home or place of work carrying a weapon that is obviously for the purpose of threat and intimidation, you should be shut down.

Want to carry signs outside Cronk's house or office?  Go for it, America, free speech (with noise limits/curfews in the neighborhood, of course -- there can always be reasonable limits on speech).  Want to walk around with an AK to intimidate him?  Nope.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

If you're looking for folks to oppose your idea of criminalizing carrying around rifles with magazines locked in as a tool of intimidation.....keep looking.  I'm all for it.  You parade outside of someone's home or place of work carrying a weapon that is obviously for the purpose of threat and intimidation, you should be shut down.

Want to carry signs outside Cronk's house or office?  Go for it, America, free speech (with noise limits/curfews in the neighborhood, of course -- there can always be reasonable limits on speech).  Want to walk around with an AK to intimidate him?  Nope.

Referencing homeowners brandishing weapons in front of their own homes to deter would be fuck-wads

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

A funny thing about the Internet outrage machine is how it amplifies voices. That woman probably has a natural audience of 12 people, but in the desperate search for things to justify a pre-existing rage, she's being heard by tens of thousands or more.

A thousand disconfirming voices will be ignored in the search for that one to keep the bias sustained.

#sad

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

https://theconversation.com/police-surveillance-of-black-lives-matter-shows-the-danger-technology-poses-to-democracy-142194

Police surveillance of Black Lives Matter shows the danger technology poses to democracy

US police forces have been turning to technology to track down Black Lives Matter protestors. Content from social media platforms and affiliated sites has been instrumental in the authorities being able to identify protestors based on photos of their faces, clothes and hair, or on the fact that they posted while at the protests. Meanwhile, drones have been added to the police’s own means of capturing footage of the protests.

Making technology-driven state surveillance part of the police’s response to democratic protest sets a dangerous precedent. There is a risk that the power this gives to police to target protestors could be abused and have a chilling effect on freedom of speech and assembly. This is particularly true in the case of Black Lives Matter, given alleged evidence of the infiltration of US law enforcement agencies by white supremacists.

What’s more, the amount of data on people that is gathered by technology and potentially available to law enforcement is set to grow thanks to the rapid expansion of internet-connected devices (known as the Internet of Things, or IoT).

The Internet of Things could, if left unchecked, give authorities seemingly unlimited ways to mine for information on people, both users of the technology and bystanders. Voice operated assistants such as Amazon Alexa and Google Home record our conversations; smart watches and fitness trackers monitor our movements, and even many traditional home appliances now collect data on us, from smart fridges to washing machines.

The growing prevalence and variety of these devices means a huge amount of data can be compiled on us by corporations in the name of improving user services or targeted advertising. But thanks to recent surveillance laws, state authorities can also request and gather a large amount of this data. And government bodies are already starting to capitalise on the new capabilities provided by the Internet of Things.

For example, some IoT technologies, such as internet-connected Amazon Ring doorbells that can record video footage, have become an informal addition to state surveillance infrastructure. Ring’s partnerships with police forces gives them access to camera locations so they can request footage from specific device owners (and obtain it by warrant if they refuse).

Some deals have involved giving away the doorbells to the public for free. This effectively creates a cheap state monitoring network that has reportedly led to racial profiling among users.

Threat to protestors

IoT technology also could be used specifically against protestors, activists and journalists. Not only could collected data be used to identify or track people even more effectively than social media posts, but reliance on the technology could also leave people and groups vulnerable to cyber attacks.

For example, in Hong Kong we’ve seen attempts to disrupt the communication of protestors and force them to use less secure channels that can more easily be monitored. There’s even a chance that the rise of hackable internet-connected cars could lead to more vehicular attacks on protests, as have occurred against anti-racism demonstrations in the US.

Despite these threats, our recent research shows journalists in particular are not generally aware of or protected from IoT technology being used to target them. What’s more, having your data gathered by IoT devices might soon be unstoppable even if you don’t own or use them. As part of our research, we surveyed 34 cyber security experts and found that 76.5% of them believe that it will not be possible for people to opt-out of interaction with the IoT within the next five years.

You might not be able to walk through a residential street without being filmed, or talk to a family member while in a doctor’s waiting room without your conversation being recorded. For activists and protestors, this huge prevalence of technologies and databases that are accessible to the state means an ever-increasing risk of being identified, tracked and surveilled, as shown by the newly released Atlas of Surveillance.

With the growing threat of state surveillance through the IoT, activists are starting to take measures to protect themselves. More are becoming aware of the risks of taking a registered smartphone, which is essentially a personalised tracking device, on a protest. Others are following the example of protesters in Hong Kong, who recently adopted an informal all-black “uniform” complete with face masks to make it harder for authorities to identify individuals from online photos.

As well as providing secure, independent, encrypted messaging, the app Signal has responded to police forces’ technological identification of protesters by creating a tool that blurs people’s faces in photos. Although programs exists that can attempt to unblur pixelated photos, the fact that so much software isn’t built with black people in mind could ironically make it worse at revealing the faces of people of colour.

This issue reminds us that technology is never neutral, particularly when people exercising their right to protest have their data used against them. In this case, against people fighting against structural racism and police brutality against black and indigenous people.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Whether you carry around an AK-47 in front of Cronk's house or at an idiotic no-mask rally, you're a buffoon.  A buffoon with unnecessary machismo tendencies, but a buffoon nonetheless. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Referencing homeowners brandishing weapons in front of their own homes to deter would be fuck-wads

Don't brandish.  It's that easy.  For everyone.  Don't fucking point guns at people, don't use them as a tool of intimidation.  I am armed -- very.  If I felt the need to demonstrate that fact to people outside my house, I could do so in a way that doesn't have me brandish/point the weapon at them.  Just walk outside with a shotgun or rifle on a shoulder sling on my back.  Easy-peasy.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Don't brandish.  It's that easy.  For everyone.  Don't fucking point guns at people, don't use them as a tool of intimidation.  I am armed -- very.  If I felt the need to demonstrate that fact to people outside my house, I could do so in a way that doesn't have me brandish/point the weapon at them.  Just walk outside with a shotgun or rifle on a shoulder sling on my back.  Easy-peasy.

Not that easy.  Brandishing means showing the weapon, or exhibiting it to another person, “in a rude, angry or threatening manner” or using it in a “fight or quarrel.”  Technically, one does not need to point the weapon at the other person.  It can even be concealed.  That's my point.  There is such a measure of discretion associated with this that even in the situation you are referencing, you could face charges.  

1 minute ago, BabaYaga said:

Not that easy.  Brandishing means showing the weapon, or exhibiting it to another person, “in a rude, angry or threatening manner” or using it in a “fight or quarrel.”  Technically, one does not need to point the weapon at the other person.  It can even be concealed.  That's my point.  There is such a measure of discretion associated with this that even in the situation you are referencing, you could face charges.  

Then anyone outside your home with a weapon should face those charges first.

We have a real fucking problem with assholes slinging around guns to intimidate people/show what badasses they are/show how serious I am about my rights and such.  We have fetishized a serious fucking thing -- a tool that can easily take human life.  It's fucked up.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Chiming back in to make sure yall are aware: per GAO, turns out DHS was acting without legal authority in Portland. So they were non-legal actors using force and the threat of force along with kidnapping to intimidate a civilian population and to coerce the state and local government into action.

Sounds like domestic terrorism to me

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

36 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Chiming back in to make sure yall are aware: per GAO, turns out DHS was acting without legal authority in Portland. So they were non-legal actors using force and the threat of force along with kidnapping to intimidate a civilian population and to coerce the state and local government into action.

No need to limit it to DHS. The federal government is a terrorist organization. 

2 hours ago, MillerEP said:

That's too enraging to even finish watching/listening.

200 bad apples.

2 hours ago, Message Board User said:

My neighborhood is chock full of gun owners; if those idiots tried disturbing the piece in the middle of the night along my street, I don't think it would end well for them.

You know you’d all go to jail for killing people that were just standing in the street with a megaphone, right? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Yep, BT is becoming a libertarian...

If you are more worried about the small percentage of BLM protestors who are violent, than the government's violent response to those protestors, you are not a libertarian.

So, yeah, sounds like BT is more libertarian than about 99% of the posters on this thread.

2 hours ago, Captainant said:

Sounds like a libertarian nightmare to me.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

If you are more worried about the small percentage of BLM protestors who are violent, than the government's violent response to those protestors, you are not a libertarian.

So, yeah, sounds like BT is more libertarian than about 99% of the posters on this thread.

Sounds like a libertarian nightmare to me.

Let's be clear.  The people rioting are rioters period.  And fuck them for going into peoples neighborhoods with megaphones.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3