Surly Megathread of destruction and doom. [BEWARE VERY DOOMY]

clapclapclap

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I mean, we MIGHT have thought about addressing a hideously broken system, but some guys in black hoodies did some bad shit, so we nope, we're gonna side with the broken system.  Entire thread above shoulda told ya.

Exactly. It makes no sense to me at all.

If someone says to me, "I was a BLM supporter until I saw some riots and looting happening" and they're not an obviously-cynical liar then that would be fascinating conversation to have and everyone would actually learn from that.

The underlying realities that lead to protests also lead to riots.

I have to quote MLK again, "Social justice and progress are the absolute guarantors of riot prevention."

If you hate riots, then you should redouble your commitment to social and economic justice.

------------------------------------
And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice, equality, and humanity. And so in a real sense our nation’s summers of riots are caused by our nation’s winters of delay. And as long as America postpones justice, we stand in the position of having these recurrences of violence and riots over and over again.
------------------------------------

11 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

It's cool, though.  I mean, we COULD talk about huge structural failings that impact all of society, falling hardest on the poorest and minorities....but you know, some people participating in the giant movement are doing some bad things, so, sorry, I guess we need to deny the movement any legitimacy and stick with the status quo.  We've got no choice.  I mean, we MIGHT have thought about addressing a hideously broken system, but some guys in black hoodies did some bad shit, so we nope, we're gonna side with the broken system.  Entire thread above shoulda told ya.

Did Read,  CAPITLIZED words so influential.

• Haha 1

Yeah he survived. Apparently was trying to help a trans person.

https://www.portlandoregon.gov/police/news/read.cfm?id=261105

Update: PPB Identifies Suspect in High-Profile Assault, Efforts to Locate Suspect Underway (Photo)

August 18, 2020 11:09

Yesterday, the Portland Police Bureau (PPB) began investigation of an assault that occurred in the downtown area where an adult male associated to a white pick-up truck was violently assaulted. Investigators positively identified the suspect as 25 year-old Marquise Love. Investigators made attempts to contact Love but could not locate him.

Investigators have left messages for Love to turn himself in but will continue to look for him as there is probable cause for his arrest.

PPB Investigators have been made aware of attempts by members of the public to contact Love after possible personal information was posted online. Investigators urge the public to not do this as it can be dangerous. Also, the information circulating on social media is not always accurate.

Other reports around social media claim that the victim in this case is not recovering or has succumbed to the injuries. These reports are false. The victim has been released from the hospital and is recovering.

Investigators are still trying to locate a transgender female who had some of her things stolen in the area of Southwest Taylor and 4th Ave, the location where this incident began. That person has not been contacted and their identity is unknown. Investigators would like to speak to this person.

Anyone with information about this incident is asked to call Detective Brent Christensen at 503-823-2087 or at Brent.Christensen@portlandoregon.gov.

PPB understands the high public interest in cases such as these. The release of information may not be as timely as the public would like. Social media platforms make it quick to circulate information but investigators often need to make other connections not seen in videos. Investigators need to protect the integrity of the cases they are assigned in order to present the best case to prosecutors and sometimes an early release of unverified information can hinder that process.

"The Portland Police Bureau is taking this assault and other incidents of violence extremely seriously," said Chief Lovell. "Our Detectives continue to investigate this assault as well as other acts of violence directed toward protestors, but we need more than just videos from social media. In order to hold individuals responsible for criminal acts, we need the public to provide information and refrain from tampering with evidence."

###PPB###

###ORIGINAL MESSAGE BELOW###

On August 16, 2020 at 10:27 p.m., Portland Police officers responded to an accident call at the intersection of Southwest Taylor Street and Broadway. The call read that "protestors chased a white Ford 4x4, which has crashed" at that location and "protestors drug him out of car." Another witness called prior to police arrival and reported that 9-10 people were "beating the guy."

Officers responded and found an adult male who was unconscious with injuries. The victim was transported to an area hospital with non-life-threatening injuries and is recovering.

Portland Police became aware of video's circulating through social media, which show various events of what led up to an assault of the victim. The series of events was carried out in different locations involving many different people. This in an ongoing investigation and the Police Bureau will provide further information as it is available. Below are chronological links to the videos posted on Twitter by Drew Hernandez @livesmattershow and Kalen From Scriberr @FromKalen:

https://twitter.com/livesmattershow/status/1295253759291879424

https://twitter.com/FromKalen/status/1295285470146908161

https://twitter.com/livesmattershow/status/1295233180899790850

Investigators learned that the victim may have been trying to help a transgender female who had some of her thing stolen in the area of Southwest Taylor and 4th Ave, the location where this incident began. That person has not been contacted and their identity is unknown. Investigators would like to speak to this person.

Anyone with information about this incident is asked to call Detective Brent Christensen at 503-823-2087 or at Brent.Christensen@portlandoregon.gov.

The Portland Police Bureau has been learning of criminal activity captured on social media, as it relates to the ongoing protests, which go unreported. Portland Police would like to remind witnesses and victims to call police immediately so that a timely investigation can begin and valuable evidence can be collected.

###PPB###

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Brothahorn said:

You're kind of people.

This is some sort of Zen koan. The more I reflect on it, it becomes both more profound and more petty. It’s both an insult and a commentary on our collective and individual brokenness while simultaneously commenting on the universal interconnectivity of mankind.

It’s petty and grand at the same time; infinitesimally small and unfathomly enormous. It’s ETA Hoffmann’s terror of infinite yearning meets a 21st century pantheistic identity wrapped up in a Don Rickles id.

Aren’t we all kind of people, aren’t we all.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

That's how conversation works; you ask questions to elicit responses in case you are wrong about what you think the other person will answer.

Otherwise you're just talking at/past people, which seems to be your goal I guess?

You ask baited questions, such as "Are 'BLM' and 'the looters' the same thing?"  

When you first asked this question, I gave you the benefit of the doubt.  I definitely would have given you the benefit of the doubt had you attempted to answer the question yourself before waiting on others.  And it's clear that your posts after that cemented your troll-like behavior:

"brotha's characterization of BLM is just a lie. It's wrong, it's ignorant, and at its core its nothing really but hurt feelings and emotion."

"He said neither BLM nor the looters care about the "average black life". That's an irrational, emotional statement made out of hurt, not out of reason."

This is some sort of Zen koan. The more I reflect on it, it becomes both more profound and more petty. It’s both an insult and a commentary on our collective and individual brokenness while simultaneously commenting on the universal interconnectivity of mankind.

It’s petty and grand at the same time; infinitesimally small and unfathomly enormous. It’s ETA Hoffmann’s terror of infinite yearning meets a 21st century pantheistic identity wrapped up in a Don Rickles id.

d46bf8cbe9ebda5dc29d2e668c38c6ae.gif
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Hmmm said:

You ask baited questions, such as "Are 'BLM' and 'the looters' the same thing?"  

"Baited questions" only catch stupid fish.

When you first asked this question, I gave you the benefit of the doubt.  I definitely would have given you the benefit of the doubt had you attempted to answer the question yourself before waiting on others.  And it's clear that your posts after that cemented your troll-like behavior:

"brotha's characterization of BLM is just a lie. It's wrong, it's ignorant, and at its core its nothing really but hurt feelings and emotion."

"He said neither BLM nor the looters care about the "average black life". That's an irrational, emotional statement made out of hurt, not out of reason."

So, in your mind, people should ask questions and then answer them immediately before anyone responds?

lol

Not exactly what I said, or I could have worded it better.  Preferably, you would have answered the question without posing it in the first place (and maybe you did but I missed it).  I don't disagree with most of what you say, just how you approach it.  I will say there is value in this type of approach, and my reluctance to answer your questions is to avoid the "gotcha!" response.  It reminds me of the types of questions posed on mainstream TV news interviews when the host is attempting to roast.

1 hour ago, Mole said:

RareColorfulEwe-size_restricted.gif

Edited by Cajun
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

When we get reports from the police about their injuries during these protests and riots I'm going to need photos and and video before I even start to believe them. They're liars and grifters and insurance cheats.

The cop here sued in February.

The exact amount that the county has paid out so far since the high-profile June 2019 shoving match is $142,984. As of four months ago, Strickland had not returned back to work. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

When we get reports from the police about their injuries during these protests and riots I'm going to need photos and and video before I even start to believe them. They're liars and grifters and insurance cheats.

The cop here sued in February.

The exact amount that the county has paid out so far since the high-profile June 2019 shoving match is $142,984. As of four months ago, Strickland had not returned back to work. 

The cop's lawsuit is fucking laughable. The officer claimed he "suffered physical injuries to his head, jaw, chin and teeth after the Raptors beat the Golden State Warriors during Game 6 of the Finals."

Fuck me running thank goodness a cop was there to stop that DANGEROUS VIOLENT ANARCHIST from rushing the court!

The HERO cop's worker's comp filing is a fucking fraudulent joke too. He deserves free money because he was "assaulted by patron attempting to storm the court resulting in injury to jaw and head". 

Edited by Captainant

30 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Who was arguing that looting isn't theft?

It absolutely is theft. Anyone who does it should be prosecuted in a fair justice system. Same for the many types of theft that steal from the workers at a rate and amount higher than any looting movement could ever dream of.

Our justice system is fair. Which companies steal from their workers? Most provide money and benefits in exchange for work.

5 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Bro, listen if you dont realize that these young kids have been affected by events 60-200 years before their birth, then you are part of the problem and need to check your privilege, if they want a gucci purse for their struggles of slow wifi or over priced iphones so be it  

Mea culpa 

51 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Same for the many types of theft that steal from the workers at a rate and amount higher than any looting movement could ever dream of.

We were a bit short in revenues this quarter so we broke into each employee's house and robbed them. TIME TO RESTATE EARNINGS, BITCHES!!!!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Our justice system is fair.

For whom?

Which companies steal from their workers? Most provide money and benefits in exchange for work.

Reposting the study.

Key Findings:

• In the 10 most populous states in the country, each year 2.4 million workers covered by state or federal minimum wage laws report being paid less than the applicable minimum wage in their state—approximately 17 percent of the eligible low-wage workforce.
  • The total underpayment of wages to these workers amounts to over $8 billion annually. If the findings for these states are representative for the rest of the country, they suggest that the total wages stolen from workers due to minimum wage violations exceeds $15 billion each year.
  • Workers suffering minimum wage violations are underpaid an average of $64 per week, nearly one-quarter of their weekly earnings. This means that a victim who works year-round is losing, on average, $3,300 per year and receiving only $10,500 in annual wages.
  • Young workers, women, people of color, and immigrant workers are more likely than other workers to report being paid less than the minimum wage, but this is primarily because they are also more likely than other workers to be in low-wage jobs. In general, low-wage workers experience minimum wage violations at high rates across demographic categories. In fact, the majority of workers with reported wages below the minimum wage are over 25 and are native-born U.S. citizens, nearly half are white, more than a quarter have children, and just over half work full time.
  • In the 10 most populous states, workers are most likely to be paid less than the minimum wage in Florida (7.3 percent), Ohio (5.5 percent), and New York (5.0 percent). However, the severity of underpayment is the worst in Pennsylvania and Texas, where the average victim of a minimum wage violation is cheated out of over 30 percent of earned pay.
  • The poverty rate among workers paid less than the minimum wage in these 10 states is over 21 percent—three times the poverty rate for minimum-wage-eligible workers overall. Assuming no change in work hours, if these workers were paid the full wages to which they are entitled, less than 15 percent would be in poverty.

28 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

For whom?

Reposting the study.

Key Findings:

• In the 10 most populous states in the country, each year 2.4 million workers covered by state or federal minimum wage laws report being paid less than the applicable minimum wage in their state—approximately 17 percent of the eligible low-wage workforce.
  • The total underpayment of wages to these workers amounts to over $8 billion annually. If the findings for these states are representative for the rest of the country, they suggest that the total wages stolen from workers due to minimum wage violations exceeds $15 billion each year.
  • Workers suffering minimum wage violations are underpaid an average of $64 per week, nearly one-quarter of their weekly earnings. This means that a victim who works year-round is losing, on average, $3,300 per year and receiving only $10,500 in annual wages.
  • Young workers, women, people of color, and immigrant workers are more likely than other workers to report being paid less than the minimum wage, but this is primarily because they are also more likely than other workers to be in low-wage jobs. In general, low-wage workers experience minimum wage violations at high rates across demographic categories. In fact, the majority of workers with reported wages below the minimum wage are over 25 and are native-born U.S. citizens, nearly half are white, more than a quarter have children, and just over half work full time.
  • In the 10 most populous states, workers are most likely to be paid less than the minimum wage in Florida (7.3 percent), Ohio (5.5 percent), and New York (5.0 percent). However, the severity of underpayment is the worst in Pennsylvania and Texas, where the average victim of a minimum wage violation is cheated out of over 30 percent of earned pay.
  • The poverty rate among workers paid less than the minimum wage in these 10 states is over 21 percent—three times the poverty rate for minimum-wage-eligible workers overall. Assuming no change in work hours, if these workers were paid the full wages to which they are entitled, less than 15 percent would be in poverty.

The EPI works backwards from their desired conclusion.  It's like a Heritage Foundation study regarding voter fraud.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1