Surly Megathread of destruction and doom. [BEWARE VERY DOOMY]

clapclapclap

Outside the threatening to burn down their buildings, sure. Also agree that this is better than the pulling people out of vehicles and kicking them in the face or blinding police officers with lasers. 

Bonus points for self identifying themselves as whacko lunatics. 

37 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Outside the threatening to burn down their buildings, sure.

I didn't see that happen.

Are you talking about "fire, fire, gentrifier" in the "black people used to live here" chant? That's a reference to the Decade of Fire in NY where landlords burned down their properties as people were living in them.

Don't seem like lunatics to me. Seems like people peacefully petitioning the government regarding their grievances.

41 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Outside the threatening to burn down their buildings, sure. Also agree that this is better than the pulling people out of vehicles and kicking them in the face or blinding police officers with lasers.

That's a pretty high standard

7 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

Are you talking about "fire, fire, gentrifier" in the "black people used to live here" chant? That's a reference to the Decade of Fire in NY where landlords burned down their properties as people were living in them.

Maybe so, I wonder if the people living there made that distinction? My guess is no.

More peaceful petitioning in Denver last night.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Enchubben said:

"Are you ready for the second course sir? Remember there are 4 more courses after you finish this, so pace yourself." 

Image 8-23-20 at 8.50 AM.jpeg

3 hours ago, Enchubben said:

Maybe so, I wonder if the people living there made that distinction? My guess is no.

No, there is no "maybe so".  So ridiculously and hilariously false that you shouldn't dignify the assertion by offering even an atom of benefit of the doubt.

That this dude pontificates about having honest and serious discussions while peddling this kind of trope makes the term "cognitive dissonance" obsolete.

11 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

What I really wonder is, if at this point, they actually understand their continued efforts might actually be helpful to the current folks up for election soon at the Federal level.

I mean, I don't actually wonder, because they don't. They are helping those unmentionables however. 

Way to go AntiFa, but maybe that was the goal all along. 

Its a win win for them.   no downside.

7 hours ago, Cajun said:

No, there is no "maybe so".  So ridiculously and hilariously false that you shouldn't dignify the assertion by offering even an atom of benefit of the doubt.

That this dude pontificates about having honest and serious discussions while peddling this kind of trope makes the term "cognitive dissonance" obsolete.

Is this you trying to sound smart?

44 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

"Protesting"

It's pure rage.

It isn't focused.  It never is in such situations.  It is human, natural, and 100% predictable -- every human population on earth acts reacts the same.

A good way to avoid that is...not to do awful shit that naturally enrages people in a completely predictable way.  But, there's clearly insufficient support for that.  So, we'll keep on keeping on -- keep on "backing the blue," keep on shooting people in the back, and keep on having cities burn.

• Hook 'Em 1

Brisket is correct in saying that's not protesting. It's inchoate social revolution.

You hurt me, I ask you to stop, you keep hurting me, I keep asking you to stop. I can't stop you, but I can hurt myself and I can hurt others weaker than you. Either that or I can just lie down and learn to accept the abuse.

If this keeps going, police will start being killed.

16 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

Simply not true.  Not everyone reacts in this fashion.

Not every human being?  Of course not.  Not every human being has a vagina, either, but enough of them do.

A significant percentage of the population in every single culture will react this way when repeatedly shit on by the state and being told "get bent."  That percentage will overlap significantly with the percentage of the population that is most often on the receiving end of the bullshit.  Yeah, the folks who are on the giving end sure aren't rioting.  The folks making money off the system aren't rioting.  The shat-upon riot and burn shit.  The shat-upon do that in every culture, every population in the world.  It is how humans react.  And you know that.

5 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

That Wendy's was asking for it, looking all sexy with those hot buns and shakes.

It's not rational -- it's not about "let's target a particular place to accomplish a specific agenda."  MLK wasn't lying when he said that "a riot is the language of the unheard."  

It's pure rage.  Rage is inherently irrational, so criticizing it as irrational is nonsensical -- no shit it's irrational.  It is what powerless people do when they get fucked, over, and over, and over.  They lash out, in pure, indiscriminate rage.  Humans have done this through all of recorded history - it is known and predictable.  And the easiest way to avoid it is to....and here's the wild and wacky part.....stop repeatedly shitting on them.  And note, I am speaking mostly of the spontaneous, immediate uprisings that happen.  Later, as different groups get motivated, they can commit violence for their own ends, stupid as they may be. And the entire circumstance descends into chaos, because it was born in chaos.  I'm speaking of the initial days after an event like this.

I'm not excusing the Wendy's on fire, I'm not happy about the Wendy's on fire.  I am just telling you that when you keep tossing lit matches at a pile of tinder, a fire will start and it will not burn in a controlled or pleasant manner.  So stop throwing the fucking matches, for the love of God.  I don't understand why that's so hard for police in the US, but it's obviously impossible for them to do.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, bad_teammate said:

Explaining isn't excusing.

Different concepts. Stop confusing them (either accidentally or on purpose).

This.  All I'm telling you is that if you toss lit matches at gasoline-soaked rags, shit's gonna blow up.  I am not excusing or condoning the conflagration that follows -- I'm actually desperately hoping that we can avoid any and all such fires in the future.

But instead of realizing that we speak the truth, they dismiss us as excusing it, and tacitly support continuing business-as-usual, which amounts to....continuing to toss matches at gas-soaked rags.  It's fucking maddening.

11 minutes ago, Gravy Train said:

Dallas, 2016, at an otherwise peaceful BLM rally...

Also...

20130207_041009_lapd_suspect.jpg?w=306

I know I will be vilified by the LAPD and the media. Unfortunately, this is a necessary evil that I do not enjoy but must partake and complete for substantial change to occur within the LAPD and reclaim my name. The department has not changed since the Rampart and Rodney King days. It has gotten worse. The consent decree should never have been lifted. The only thing that has evolved from the consent decree is those officers involved in the Rampart scandal and Rodney King incidents have since promoted to supervisor, commanders, and command staff, and executive positions.

Dorner's Manifesto

3 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

That's fucking awful.  I really, really wish that hadn't happened.

Know what could help prevent shit like this from happening in the future?  Yeah, I know, it doesn't matter.  We're going to keep doing what we're doing, and when people explode in utterly irrational, devastatingly harmful rage, we'll blame them, and not the people tossing the lit matches over and over and over.  Lather, rinse, repeat.

35 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Also...

20130207_041009_lapd_suspect.jpg?w=306

I know I will be vilified by the LAPD and the media. Unfortunately, this is a necessary evil that I do not enjoy but must partake and complete for substantial change to occur within the LAPD and reclaim my name. The department has not changed since the Rampart and Rodney King days. It has gotten worse. The consent decree should never have been lifted. The only thing that has evolved from the consent decree is those officers involved in the Rampart scandal and Rodney King incidents have since promoted to supervisor, commanders, and command staff, and executive positions.

Dorner's Manifesto

To me Dorner's not a piece of shit, because he went to war with LAPD to express his grievances. I can understand that, even if I wouldn't have necessarily chosen that path. He is a piece of shit because he killed innocent civilians that had nothing to do with LAPD.

Edited by Brothahorn

11 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

To me Dorner's not a piece of shit, because he went to war with LAPD to express his grievances. I can understand that, even if I wouldn't have necessarily chosen that path. He is a piece of shit because he killed innocent civilians that had nothing to do with LAPD.

But LAPD shooting up innocent people while pursing Dorner is totally kosher right?

8 minutes ago, Captainant said:

But LAPD shooting up innocent people while pursing Dorner is totally kosher right?

Sigh..no. Not at all in no shape, form or fashion. Don't assume.

10 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Any evidence BLM did the arson?

It was the White/Privileged arm of BLM.

2 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

Brisket is correct in saying that's not protesting. It's inchoate social revolution.

You hurt me, I ask you to stop, you keep hurting me, I keep asking you to stop. I can't stop you, but I can hurt myself and I can hurt others weaker than you. Either that or I can just lie down and learn to accept the abuse.

If this keeps going, police will start being killed.

Burning down and destroying a person's business who had absolutely nothing to do with the situation is not the way to handle it.