TikTok : Give me TikTok or Give me Death !!!

tx 3 putt

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

TikTok is owned by the PRC and not even allowed in the PRC.  It sent out push notifications to every user with the contact info for their congressional rep and directions to call them— despite claiming that it doesn’t geolocate users. That’s why it needs to fucking go.

Fuck TikTok. There is no 1st amendment right to get brainwashed by the PRC. 

I saw a piece a long time -- might've been on 60 Minutes -- that said the version of TikTok that PRC people get is WAY different than the one the rest of of the world gets. I think this is it: https://www.cbs.com/shows/video/S0bgsSTHv87osLyzWtLXib0kgmTYBc1B/

Interesting quote from piece above: "It's almost like (Chinese company ByteDance) recognizes that technology's influencing kids' development and they make their domestic version a spinach TikTok, while they ship the opium TikTok to the rest of the world." 

Edited by C-Man
  • Like 1

Congress - we can’t have kids espousing pro-Palestinian views hence we need massive state censorship. This bill and Kristi Noem’s bullshit “anti-Semitism” censorship bill in South Dakota are the worst attacks on the 1st Amendment we’ve seen in a long time. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

TikTok is owned by the PRC and not even allowed in the PRC.  It sent out push notifications to every user with the contact info for their congressional rep and directions to call them— despite claiming that it doesn’t geolocate users. That’s why it needs to fucking go.

so all foreign owned media in the country has no  1A rights and can be regulated or even banned? Newspapers, books, magazines, every non US website? 

Edited by Make em eat Taco Bell
  • Hook 'Em 1

I always feel good about a position I have once Glenn Greenwald argues the opposite. 

1 minute ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

so all foreign owned media in the country has 1A rights and can be regulated or even banned? Newspapers, books, magazines, every non US website? 

TikTok is not a media company, try again. 

Anyway, the reason this is happening in an election year should be obvious enough: the PRC is making plans to manipulate U.S. elections at a scale that the Kremlin troll farms can’t imagine. And a vast chunk of America believes that they’re having their rights trampled if we don’t allow the PRC to do it. 

• Hook 'Em 7

18 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I saw a piece a long time -- might've been on 60 Minutes -- that said the version of TikTok that PRC people get is WAY different than the one the rest of of the world gets. I think this is it: https://www.cbs.com/shows/video/S0bgsSTHv87osLyzWtLXib0kgmTYBc1B/

Interesting quote from piece above: "It's almost like (Chinese company ByteDance) recognizes that technology's influencing kids' development and they make their domestic version a spinach TikTok, while they ship the opium TikTok to the rest of the world." 

Almost like the Chinese have first hand experience of how you want to be the opium exporter and not importer. Everything from Fentanyl to TikTok. 

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, threads, Snapchat all have the best interest of the kids in their hearts, right, Right?

I would appear more that the Chinese government realized and put a stop to that, the better question is why isn’t our gov pushing social media companies to do what China is doing to limit social media influence on our kids? Banning TikTok won’t solve the influencing kids if not other action is takin and will make them flock to Facebook who is an honest broker 

• Hook 'Em 3

Serious question -- is it more harmful to the American public that TikTok is available or that hundreds of millions can place sports bets from their phones?

33 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

It’s a tech platform. And it’s not being banned, the choice is for the PRC to divest. 

TikTok doesn’t have any “speech” to silence and there’s no first amendment right to use a Chinese tech platform to distribute your speech. TikTok is not the press. 

it's a free speech bulletin board , as would be old school opinion ed pieces in old school newspapers. So in fact, it's a free speech issue no matter who owns it.  Chinese tech platforms are not prohibited by the US Constitution.

9 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Serious question -- is it more harmful to the American public that TikTok is available or that hundreds of millions can place sports bets from their phones?

i wish we could place sports bets (legally) in TX on US platforms. Sadly, we have to go offshore. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Well TikTok is influencing people and the news they see. Sports betting apps aren’t doing that. They’re just separating idiots and addicted from their money. But TikTok addiction is pretty bad too

28 minutes ago, Gengs1 said:

Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, threads, Snapchat all have the best interest of the kids in their hearts, right, Right?

I would appear more that the Chinese government realized and put a stop to that, the better question is why isn’t our gov pushing social media companies to do what China is doing to limit social media influence on our kids? Banning TikTok won’t solve the influencing kids if not other action is takin and will make them flock to Facebook who is an honest broker 

I won't argue with that except to say the only app you listed that kids really use is Snapchat, maybe some Instagram. The rest are boring or for old people.

1 hour ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Link? Cause that’s fucked yo. 

1 hour ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

so what if China knows your tiktok habits? As long as there is no virus which can siphon your bank account, what's the harm?

what about FOX? 

got damn son you're naive

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, safe sex said:

Getting dopamine hit after dopamine hit is really bad for the brain long term, though that's not exclusively a TikTok problem

Not to mention the short attention span 

• Hook 'Em 5

13 minutes ago, safe sex said:

Getting dopamine hit after dopamine hit is really bad for the brain long term, though that's not exclusively a TikTok problem

What’s the opposite of dopamine? Because that’s Surly.

1 hour ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

bad reply! I bet you can't name one bad thing about Tik Tok. 

Already did, if you cant keep up, this discussion might not be for you

3 hours ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

so all foreign owned media in the country has no  1A rights and can be regulated or even banned? Newspapers, books, magazines, every non US website? 

The first amendment forbids the government from abridging speech based on content. 

If the governments ostensible concern about data security is the real reason for banning it, it is a valid exercise of the police power because it is content neutral.  That it may incidentally remove a platform is not a problem. 

Sussing out the true motive for legislation can be difficult. You can be relatively certain that opponents will find stray content based comments from critters on both sides of the aisle to fuel the idea that it is content based. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Why would access to TikTok be a right?  Can they ban users or remove content?  

I don’t have the right to have my thoughts aired on cbs or cnn. Or TikTok. 

Or in a book. Can the government shut down a printing press because it's owned by a company that holds political views it finds objectionable?

45 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

The first amendment forbids the government from abridging speech based on content. 

If the governments ostensible concern about data security is the real reason for banning it, it is a valid exercise of the police power because it is content neutral.  That it may incidentally remove a platform is not a problem. 

Sussing out the true motive for legislation can be difficult. You can be relatively certain that opponents will find stray content based comments from critters on both sides of the aisle to fuel the idea that it is content based. 

lots of apps use personal data.  

2 hours ago, safe sex said:

That's also not something that is the government's goddamn business 

• Fuck You 1

We need to stop this actor agnostic false equivalence bullshit.  And I say that as someone who hates all social media.  

The problem with Tik Tok is the PRC. The PRC has identified us and the rest of the Western world as its primary obstacle to a world that is more friendly to the CCP and has mobilized a whole of society effort to weaken us. TikTok is part of that effort. 

An app where the PRC gets to decide what content gets fed and what gets suppressed is the opposite of free speech, actually. 

• Hook 'Em 6

52 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

We need to stop this actor agnostic false equivalence bullshit.  And I say that as someone who hates all social media.  

The problem with Tik Tok is the PRC. The PRC has identified us and the rest of the Western world as its primary obstacle to a world that is more friendly to the CCP and has mobilized a whole of society effort to weaken us. TikTok is part of that effort. 

An app where the PRC gets to decide what content gets fed and what gets suppressed is the opposite of free speech, actually. 

PRC does a great job of deciding I need to view hot single women and damn good looking female realtors. PRC also does a good job letting me try to slide into their dm’s 

• Haha 2
  • Prepare your anus 1

PRC does a great job of deciding I need to view hot single women and damn good looking female realtors. PRC also does a good job letting me try to slide into their dm’s 

Exactly. The algorithm sends me women shaking their goods or anti-trump news and videos. Really scary stuff.
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

It’s a tech platform. And it’s not being banned, the choice is for the PRC to divest. 

TikTok doesn’t have any “speech” to silence and there’s no first amendment right to use a Chinese tech platform to distribute your speech. TikTok is not the press. 

Is anyone covering the plight of the Uyghurs on TikTok? I wonder whether their algorithm promotes or suppresses posts regarding that subject. Or how about the massacre of pro-democracy demonstrators in Tiananmen Square back in 1989? Or the mishandled response to the coronavirus in 2019 (and beyond)? Or the rights of Taiwan, how it’s totally not part of China, and deserves to remain free?

I’d be concerned not that TikTok is a media company with First Amendment rights to free speech, but that they’re a tech platform under the thumb of the communist Chinese government suppressing free speech by its users anytime it doesn’t align with party doctrine. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

The real problem with forcing them to sell TikTok is who they intend to be the buyer:

It's not mentioned in any of the stories covering this yet, but Mnuchin also got $1 billion from the Saudis back in 2022, so they'd likely be partners with him on this. I'm honestly less worried about the PRC using TikTok to manipulate and spy on the American public than I am letting a MAGA/Saudi partnership do the same. 

• Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

This is a tough one for me. 

I'm generally skeptical of any legislation that gets such a blitzkrieg of coordinated support seemingly out of nowhere and from what I've seen the language is a little broad in how it describes what can be shut down. You also throw in that this does quite clearly benefit our own stateside mega data collectors and algorithm runners, so in a sense it seems a bit hyperbolic to freak out about it now.

On the other hand, the CCP is evidently quite upset about it. They also do the same thing to us although they live in an authoritarian state.

I lean towards supporting, but the way it is all happening makes me pretty uneasy. Red flags galore.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, wildcat09 said:

The real problem with forcing them to sell TikTok is who they intend to be the buyer:

It's not mentioned in any of the stories covering this yet, but Mnuchin also got $1 billion from the Saudis back in 2022, so they'd likely be partners with him on this. I'm honestly less worried about the PRC using TikTok to manipulate and spy on the American public than I am letting a MAGA/Saudi partnership do the same. 

So what’s the difference here and extortion?

Hey you got some nice technology there, you need to sell it now so we can buy it and use it. 

We bringing democracy to TikTok…

• Like 1

17 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

Or in a book. Can the government shut down a printing press because it's owned by a company that holds political views it finds objectionable?

Sat on this for a day. 

are we arguing political viewpoints or are we arguing something else?

Would you claim that any company that publishes material that would be considered protected speech cannot be shut down for any reason, because it would affect the protected speech?  Thats where if feels like you are heading. 

The comment upthread regarding the Uyghurs is pertinent. Is TikTok filtering searches and restricting content covering issues sensitive to the Chinese? History suggests that it probably is, which is admittedly problematic.

Is there any evidence TikTok has been slanting content toward one political party or promoting content about election fraud or otherwise attempting to disenfranchise voters? That's an immensely bigger problem but also much more of a stretch. China has largely been agnostic towards US partisanship.

If this becomes law, it will be really unpopular among young people, a key Democratic coalition. No wonder the Republican-led House passed it so easily. I think the Senate needs to think long and hard about this bill, as they should, and Biden needs to come to his senses. He needs to hear from Dems at the state and local level who use it effectively to reach younger voters.

And if the other option is letting Musk or Mnuchin get their hands on it, hell-to-the fuckin' no! Given the choice between TikTok being ran by the Chinese or by MAGA, I'll take the Chinese anytime every time.

• Hook 'Em 1