The Robert Mueller Investigation

Hugo Stiglitz

6 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I hate to be a cynic but I can’t help but think our troll AG Barr is going to release a majority redacted version of the Mueller report that conceals all the treachery and we get another round of spiking of the football by the Trumpers. 

“NO Collusion!  No obstruction! Totally exonerated!”

The only way to avoid this is for Congress to crank up the heat to 11, which I don’t see happening.

Also, any pundit starting sentences with bullshit like, “The danger here for democrats...” can fuck right off.

Sounds like politics.

I think the Democrats are playing this exactly right. The administration looks like they are hiding something the longer this goes on. Let them keep stonewalling and take the necessary steps to compel production all the while reminding the public that no one has seen the Mueller report. 

The Democrats' strategy appears to be working.From a political standpoint, Trump got no bounce from Barr's summary. They can spike the football all they want, but if it does't move public opinion, it doesn't matter.

Edited by David Dennison

2 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Sounds like politics.

I think the Democrats are playing this exactly right. The administration looks like they are hiding something the longer this goes on. Let them keep stonewalling and take the necessary steps to compel production all the while reminding the public that no one has seen the Mueller report. 

The Democrats' strategy appears to be working.From a political standpoint, Trump got no bounce from Barr's summary. They can spike the football all they want, but if it does't move public opinion, it doesn't matter.

It’s impossible to evaluate who is winning politically because we don’t know the facts in the Mueller report.  Perhaps whatever they’re hiding is actually worth hiding.  If that’s the case then the democrats aren’t winning as much as they could be.  That’s a net win for team Trump. 

Just now, Hugo Stiglitz said:

It’s impossible to evaluate who is winning politically because we don’t know the facts in the Mueller report.  Perhaps whatever they’re hiding is actually worth hiding.  If that’s the case then the democrats aren’t winning as much as they could be.  That’s a net win for team Trump. 

He's never going to go below where he is now in terms of support. It doesn't matter what's in the report.

Apart from the appropriate steps House Dems are taking, the most reassuring thing is that based on the stacked reporting from WaPo and NYT this week, and then the WSJ, we now know two important things: 1) the Mueller report is very different than what Barr is trying to float, and is very damaging to Trump, and 2) Mueller team is not going to be silenced and let the truth get buried.  

House Dem + Special Counsel double barrel approach won't be stopped.

and re  “The danger here for democrats..." concern trolling, the GOP wipeout in the '18 midterms is a real blindspot for many, huh.  That, and today this, which should grab the attention of GOP Senators who continue to enable and protect their mad emperor:

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

He's never going to go below where he is now in terms of support. It doesn't matter what's in the report.

Assuming that’s the case, why not push on Barr to release the full report?  Why not release his tax returns?  If it can’t hurt him politically, what does he have to gain by looking like he’s guilty as fuck?    

I know the answer is because he’s afraid of the headlines that will be generated and the possibility he could lose control.

While not probable the bottom line is anything is possible.   

1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

True.  But that's why the whole report needs to get out there.  The polling won't change at all, whether it somehow magically exonerates him or whether it provides proof he peed on underage hookers provided by the KGB.  It's about making the other 60% of the country who aren't brain dead sycophants aware of what Russia did in the last election, and how trump's enablers are covering up for him.

• Like 2

I could see there being some borderline shady activities relating to Trump or his family/surrogates. Probably some careless words uttered by Cheeto in the WH which will fuel obstruction speculation.

We'll spend 6 months as a nation explaining it away, R brows will furrow, and all will be forgotten. Then the Russians can meddle again in the '20 election.

31 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Assuming that’s the case, why not push on Barr to release the full report?  Why not release his tax returns?  If it can’t hurt him politically, what does he have to gain by looking like he’s guilty as fuck?    

I know the answer is because he’s afraid of the headlines that will be generated and the possibility he could lose control.

this isn't about polls or the election, this is about his ego.  his whole life he's put out the story he wants to put out.  he's not afraid of the info losing him the election, he just wants to continue to control the narrative.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

this isn't about polls or the election, this is about his ego.  his whole life he's put out the story he wants to put out.  he's not afraid of the info losing him the election, he just wants to continue to control the narrative.

Which is why the congressional democrats need to step up and go on offense.  They have the ability to create and control the narrative now.  Look at how Schiff threw down in his little five minute speech.  Why not more of that? 

They never should have waited for Barr to control the narrative.  Y’all can think they’re being smart by laying low but I see it as cowardice in the face of tyranny.  

43 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

What if the report says he made a deal with ISIS to mass convert middle America to Islam?

His base would probably say "actually that was a great move because they will help us fight the godless liberals!"

4 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Which is why the congressional democrats need to step up and go on offense.  They have the ability to create and control the narrative now.  Look at how Schiff threw down in his little five minute speech.  Why not more of that? 

They never should have waited for Barr to control the narrative.  Y’all can think they’re being smart by laying low but I see it as cowardice in the face of tyranny.  

if the dems think laying low is the move because they're worried a big swing-and-a-miss could potentially hurt them in 2020, then they're delusional.  it's become clear that the american people will not let facts get in the way of how they want to vote.

now that the investigators are all back in the private sector, they can be subpoenaed, right?  this shit is gonna drag on forever, and won't influence a thing.

Previous Presidents probably would have been impeached for information that is currently available to the public -- obstruction and collusion/conspiracy to defaud. But nothing matters.

The Ds have to get the facts out there even if the Rs won't convict in the Senate. I don't know if that means impeachment or not. Maybe hold a year's worth of hearings to get the facts out?

Pretty sure Mueller's report will be very thorough. It's a safe bet that a 1975 Congress would convict him on the details found in the report.

Edited by retread

15 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

if the dems think laying low is the move because they're worried a big swing-and-a-miss could potentially hurt them in 2020, then they're delusional.  it's become clear that the american people will not let facts get in the way of how they want to vote.

now that the investigators are all back in the private sector, they can be subpoenaed, right?  this shit is gonna drag on forever, and won't influence a thing.

They can be subpoenaed regardless.  Congress can subpoena the man in the moon, if they want to.  DOJ/executive has less sway over whether they appear than if they were employees.

The democrats should be able to recreate the findings in the Mueller report without even reading it through their congressional investigative powers.  However, they’re choosing not to do that.  Why?

Now that Mueller is finished, nothing is off limits.  They should be hauling in key witnesses like Kushner, McGahn, and Rosenstein to testify.  But no, they’ve decided to wait it out with Barr holding all the evidence. 

Sad!

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

7 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

They can be subpoenaed regardless.  Congress can subpoena the man in the moon, if they want to.  DOJ/executive has less sway over whether they appear than if they were employees.

i only brought it up because it seems as if certain investigators are unhappy and leaking shit to the press.  seems to me, it wouldn't take much to compel them to testify.

Democrats aren’t in a hurry. They are taking it nice and slow until the public is in the mood. The end game isn’t until the 2020 election. They are moving forward on multiple fronts but don’t want it to be over too quickly, they want it to last, build up the suspense. And then Boom! We got Joe Biden griden from behind 

50 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

I'm not sure that's entirely true.  At this point he may actually realize that maintaining the Oval Office is what is keeping him out of jail.  I realize that I am implying a certain level of rational thought that is so far unseen, but it's a possibility.  A very small possibility, but a possibility nonetheless.

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm not sure that's entirely true.  At this point he may actually realize that maintaining the Oval Office is what is keeping him out of jail.  I realize that I am implying a certain level of rational thought that is so far unseen, but it's a possibility.  A very small possibility, but a possibility nonetheless.

i 100% agree with this, and have said as much several times.

i wasn't saying he's afraid of losing the election.  he definitely is, and will likely need to be dragged out of the oval office with his teeth marks still on it.

but if you asked him "why don't you want the full details of the mueller report to come out?"  the answer would never ever be "because i'm worried the info will cause me to lose the election."

5 minutes ago, GW Hayduke said:

Democrats aren’t in a hurry. They are taking it nice and slow until the public is in the mood. The end game isn’t until the 2020 election. They are moving forward on multiple fronts but don’t want it to be over too quickly, they want it to last, build up the suspense. And then Boom! We got Joe Biden griden from behind 

Makes you wonder if there’s anything the Trump administration could do to provoke the democrats to get off their asses and go scorched earth. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

but if you asked him "why don't you want the full details of the mueller report to come out?"  the answer would never ever be "because i'm worried the info will cause me to lose the election."

I think there's a good chance the answer would be "golden retriever".  (I wouldn't know what it meant then, either.)

8 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

This makes me wonder if you understand electoral politics.

You can’t say nothing matters while at the same time say the democrats are playing this right.   Those two narratives conflict because if nothing matters then there is no wrong or right move for the democrats, because nothing matters.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

Just now, Hugo Stiglitz said:

You can’t say nothing matters while at the same time say the democrats are playing this right.   Those two narratives conflict because if nothing matters then there is no wrong move for the democrats. 

I think the way Democrats are handling this matters a lot. 

28 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Makes you wonder if there’s anything the Trump administration could do to provoke the democrats to get off their asses and go scorched earth. 

there is nothing.  Not quashing the Mueller report.  Not kiddy concentration camps.  Calling the First Amendment protected press the enemy of the people.  Fake national emergency.  Pulling disaster funding from everywhere that's not a red state.  Accusing political enemies of committing crimes.  It's all just been normalized, as though in two years it'll be voted out, and the cancer will be miraculously removed.

• Like 1

Trump could have Putin show up at a 2020 campaign rally and give a stump speech and nothing would happen. I'm starting to think that even the D's are just furrowing brows and showing faux concern while they watch their wealth accumulate. No one gives a shit. 

4 minutes ago, TornACL said:

Trump could have Putin show up at a 2020 campaign rally and give a stump speech and nothing would happen. I'm starting to think that even the D's are just furrowing brows and showing faux concern while they watch their wealth accumulate. No one gives a shit. 

What do you want them to do that they aren't doing already?

9 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

I think the way Democrats are handling this matters a lot. 

I do too and they suck.  The fundamental difference between the republicans and democrats is the republicans have the ability to make shit matter.  The made Benghazi matter.  They made tan suit matter. They made her emails matter.  They now have the ability to make nothing matter.  

Democrats need to make shit matter.  They are failing. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

What do you want them to do that they aren't doing already?

Focused investigations, not bs requests for tens of thousands of documents.  Investigate child separation policy, the inaugural committee, subpoena the full Mueller report, and start impeachment proceedings.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

This makes me wonder if you understand electoral politics.

It's not about electoral politics.  Hell, in 2016 the Russians interfered in the election, and the president went on TV and said he believed the Russians over U.S. intelligence agencies and has now quashed the report documenting their interference.  At this point, there's no reason to believe that 2016 will even be a free and fair election.   The information about what's going on has to be released.

the poll numbers aren't changing, and may not even matter.  Get the information out there so at least the part of the country who hasn't drunk the Kool Aid can be informed.

• Like 1

It's hard to believe that it applies to something as important as the Mueller investigation, but if the WH can delay the release past this news cycle, they have a chance to win this battle. Congress will get some parts of it, but they're going to have to fight to get all of it and to get it in front of the public.

Congress is getting all of the report. It’s just a matter of when. Dems aren’t in a hurry.

The GOP either rips the bandaid off now or prolonges while showing the public they are hiding information, which only builds it up more and more. 

The only questions in my mind is how long it takes for Congress to get the full report and then how much of the report will be released to the public.

Politics is a game

1 hour ago, retread said:

Previous Presidents probably would have been impeached for information that is currently available to the public -- obstruction and collusion/conspiracy to defaud. But nothing matters.

I'm ready to conclude that jaded Hilary voters don't cast reflections in the mirror.  Everything imagined about Trump has a worse known in their 2016 candidate.

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

23 minutes ago, notre dame joe said:

I'm ready to conclude that jaded Hilary voters don't cast reflections in the mirror.  Everything imagined about Trump has a worse known in their 2016 candidate.

Jesus Christ.  Decorum and vacation time prevent me from telling you what exactly you can do, but imagine the worst. 

I mean, that's just flat fucking stupid.

1 hour ago, notre dame joe said:

hahahaha

So what, she would have literally sucked Putin's dick in Helsinki as opposed to metaphorically like your boy?

• Like 1

Ah yes, to live in an imaginary world where no matter what evil, despicable or disgusting thing you do is justified by an imaginary hypothetical bogey(wo)man who makes it ok.  Wait, it’s not an imaginary world.  It’s the retarded delusional mind of a trumpkin.

• Haha 1

I'm ready to conclude that flathead trumpsters like yourself are going to continue to invoke the clintons until the heat death of the universe, while excusing every terrible thing that the trump admin does