Joe Biden 2021

tantric superman

21 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

The billionaires killed the Billionaire Tax swiftly. Shocking. 

So no taxing of unrealized gains, no expanded surveillance of small bank accounts. Honestly those are both wins although people here won’t see it that way. I realize you wanted to get those billionaires but it wouldn’t stay isolated to them for long like the original income tax. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 2

29 minutes ago, Satoshi said:

So no taxing of unrealized gains, no expanded surveillance of small bank accounts. Honestly those are both wins although people here won’t see it that way. I realize you wanted to get those billionaires but it wouldn’t stay isolated to them for long like the original income tax. 

That slippery slope must be a terrible burden to carry around all the time 

35 minutes ago, Satoshi said:

I do find it funny that the poor uneducated farmer is who's supporting your pro-billionaire posts. Classic surly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Why would it stop at billionaires?

Because you have more taxable income than most billionaires. They abuse the financial system to avoid paying taxes and just live off of benefits from the trusts and LLC's that they're the sole beneficiary of.

Changing all that shit and cleaning it up isn't gonna affect you or I, because we are normal humans who earn a wage rather than living solely off of investment returns and equity buyouts 

Edited by Captainant
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Because you have more taxable income than most billionaires. They abuse the financial system to avoid paying taxes and just live off of benefits from the trusts and LLC's that they're the sole beneficiary of.

Changing all that shit and cleaning it up isn't gonna affect you or I, because we are normal humans who earn a wage rather than living solely off of investment returns and equity buyouts 

no he's asking why republicans won't extend it to poors just like they did income taxes to get poors to agree to reduce taxes on rich people

17 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Just for a reference where would you see a good lower limit on investment that can have unrealized gains taxed? I know you would support it much lower than what was proposed. 

• Fuck You 2

Man I get so tired of the ‘we’ve done nothing and we’re all out of ideas’ branding with some of y’all…it’s obvious the disparity is growing at a massive pace between the rich and ‘everyone else’, roads / bridges / etc are crumbling, people can’t afford to buy a house or find childcare, etc.  Instead let’s sell shirts about a guy who made fun of trump on National tv.

Democrats getting fucked over by two people who see their chance to get in the limelight and spurring more internal bickering…ineffectual as usual…so I guess we go right back to ‘do nothing, complain, shoot everything down’ and wait for the next GOP government who just keeps throwing money at billionaires and corporations.  

I benefited a bit from that ‘middle class’ tax break bill a few years ago…but I find myself thinking that the trillion dollars it cost woulda come in handy fixing broken shit across this country.  Instead it just lead to stock buy backs and that income gap ever widening. 

So y’all who are against taxing billionaires…what do you suggest we do?  What’s your dream way to find some tangible improvements to the country. 

• Like 1

Just now, Homercles said:

Man I get so tired of the ‘we’ve done nothing and we’re all out of ideas’ branding with some of y’all…it’s obvious the disparity is growing at a massive pace between the rich and ‘everyone else’, roads / bridges / etc are crumbling, people can’t afford to buy a house or find childcare, etc.  Instead let’s sell shirts about a guy who made fun of trump on National tv.

Democrats getting fucked over by two people who see their chance to get in the limelight and spurring more internal bickering…ineffectual as usual…so I guess we go right back to ‘do nothing, complain, shoot everything down’ and wait for the next GOP government who just keeps throwing money at billionaires and corporations.  

I benefited a bit from that ‘middle class’ tax break bill a few years ago…but I find myself thinking that the trillion dollars it cost woulda come in handy fixing broken shit across this country.  Instead it just lead to stock buy backs and that income gap ever widening. 

So y’all who are against taxing billionaires…what do you suggest we do?  What’s your dream way to find some tangible improvements to the country. 

just gonna talk more useless platitudes about how the government needs to live within its means and people need to take personal responsibility. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

11 hours ago, Homercles said:

Pull up your boot straps and get back to work because there are jobs out there! Duh! Personal Accountability!

11 hours ago, Homercles said:

Cut taxes and government services, duh! 'Murica!! 

Not like we need healthcare....paid leave...roads without potholes.... fuck you, I got mine! 

12 hours ago, Homercles said:

They'll never say it but their dream is to liquidate the poor.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Taxing billionaires is fine, but you simply can't tax unrealized gains-- it's a dynamic nightmare (do you refund money when the investments tank during fluctuations?) and it's unconstitutional. The argument can be made the smartest thing the Dems did was let this idea get killed because if it went to a Supreme Court full of conservatives (which it 100% would have) then it would have been killed and the precedent would have been set in a way Dems wouldn't have liked.

The "Super rate" idea I was reading about this AM seems like a much better idea:

“Super-rate brackets” may be the next attempt to tax the uber-rich, according to Punchbowl News. This would create higher taxes for incomes over a certain amount — 5 percent extra on incomes above $10 million and another 3 percent on incomes above $25 million. This idea is still under negotiation and may not materialize with these details, if at all.

Edited by DonkeyCigars
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

You sure can tax unrealized gains. Every state with property taxes already does.

That's true, though I'd argue property ownership/investment is a much more stable vehicle historically. 

I think a further argument is around the negative collateral damage and what would happen to investments and innovations that are moon/loonshots versus finding other ways to grow and keep your money, which would reduce the taxable base as well.

Also I edited to add to late before you quoted, but taxing billionaires is a good idea and I agree with you, but I think this is a better route:

“Super-rate brackets” may be the next attempt to tax the uber-rich, according to Punchbowl News. This would create higher taxes for incomes over a certain amount — 5 percent extra on incomes above $10 million and another 3 percent on incomes above $25 million. This idea is still under negotiation and may not materialize with these details, if at all.

Edited by DonkeyCigars

19 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

That's true, though I'd argue property ownership/investment is a much more stable vehicle historically. 

I think a further argument is around the negative collateral damage and what would happen to investments and innovations that are moon/loonshots versus finding other ways to grow and keep your money, which would reduce the taxable base as well.

Also I edited to add to late before you quoted, but taxing billionaires is a good idea and I agree with you, but I think this is a better route:

Oversimplifying things, but I would just say set a minimum retirement investment amount of say, $2 million or so, and then any gains on investments above that amount, whether realized (sold) or not get taxed at the income rate.  

3 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Oversimplifying things, but I would just say set a minimum retirement investment amount of say, $2 million or so, and then any gains on investments above that amount, whether realized (sold) or not get taxed at the income rate.  

That’s a low number. A long way from taxing the billionaires. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck You 2

3 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

My first reaction to that is "Yuck", so I can't imagine what the reaction is to most people with either wealth or line of sight to wealth or those that have the abilities, skills and qualities to achieve life-changing wealth (aspirational voters).

1 hour ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

How much money do you need?  OK maybe $5 million?    How much is enough?   You like the status quo?   If so fine, just say so and we do nothing.

How much is enough is a mix of personal opinion and moving target depending on a variety of macro and micro trends (inflation, market conditions, time value of money equations, etc. et al). If you are asking me my personal opinion; $1bn seems reasonable.

Edited by DonkeyCigars

15 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

We should just take anything over $1 billion. You hit $1 billion, you win. Congrats. You now hand anything over that to the people. Wealth redistribution at its finest.

Yup. If you somehow manage to accumulate that much wealth, anything over $999,999,999 is 100% taxed. Period. It's just amazing to me that anyone would defend billionaires. It's like they don't know the difference between a billion and a million. If you, like Donkey Dick, make $200k a year, you could reasonably be a millionaire in a decade or two. To reach billionaire, you'd have to work for 5,000 years. When Bernie says there should not be billionaires, that's what he is talking about. 

2 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

They'll never say it but their dream is to liquidate the poor.

Then who will do all the shit they don't want to do? They don't want ALL the poors dead, just the ones that aren't useful to them

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Yup. If you somehow manage to accumulate that much wealth, anything over $999,999,999 is 100% taxed. Period. It's just amazing to me that anyone would defend billionaires. It's like they don't know the difference between a billion and a million. If you, like Donkey Dick, make $200k a year, you could reasonably be a millionaire in a decade or two. To reach billionaire, you'd have to work for 5,000 years. When Bernie says there should not be billionaires, that's what he is talking about. 

Then who will do all the shit they don't want to do? They don't want ALL the poors dead, just the ones that aren't useful to them

I've taken many insults from you, but this sir might be the last straw! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

That is way too low. Add some zeros to that amount and it will sound more reasonable.

• Hook 'Em 2

We have, what, five Trillion dollar companies now that Tesla is one as of Monday? 

We can't have Trillion dollar companies without creating billionaires. You disincentivize the ability to become a billionaire and you limit the business and GDP/growth/business will suffer. 

If the argument is "we don't actually need to be constantly innovating and creating and advancing through new products, services and experiences and there is a threshold where doing so actually is a net negative (i.e. creating billionaires, etc.)" then I can see the argument to cap people's potential and earnings with something like Longhorn_fans proposal. You will get a Soviet style society of bureaucrats with all the mediocre stylings that society affords. Brain drain will happen and everyone with the ability to do and make and create who want to earn will diaspora to whichever country is smart enough to cater to these folks. Then you are left with a bunch of people who look around at the stagnation and wonder "what happened to all that free stuff I was supposed to be getting solely by virtue of being born over the right geographic dirt?" 

Edited by DonkeyCigars

7 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

We have, what, five Trillion dollar companies now that Tesla is one as of Monday? 

We can't have Trillion dollar companies without creating billionaires. You disincentivize the ability to become a billionaire and you limit the business will suffer. 

If the argument is "we don't actually need to be constantly innovating and creating and advancing through new products, services and experiences and there is a threshold where doing so actually is a net negative (i.e. creating billionaires, etc.)" then I can see the argument to cap people's potential and earnings with something like Longhorn_fans proposal. You will get a Soviet style society of bureaucrats with all the mediocre stylings that society affords. Brain drain will happen and everyone with the ability to do and make and create who want to earn will diaspora to whichever country is smart enough to cater to these folks. Then you are left with a bunch of people who look around at the stagnation and wonder "what happened to all that free stuff I was supposed to be getting solely by virtue of being born over the right geographic dirt?" 

this is bullshit and has been perpetuated my entire life. and you know what, it's just simply false. you're carrying the elite class's water for them. you're perpetuating a false narrative that has made more people poorer and a few people richer. gtfo here with that shit. you can't have trillion dollar companies without billionaires? the fuck? of all the misinformed things you've said, that's probably tops

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

this is bullshit and has been perpetuated my entire life. and you know what, it's just simply false. you're carrying the elite class's water for them. you're perpetuating a false narrative that has made more people poorer and a few people richer. gtfo here with that shit. you can't have trillion dollar companies without billionaires? the fuck? of all the misinformed things you've said, that's probably tops

I disagree with your opinion that it's perpetuated bs. But besides that:

How does a Trillion dollar company not create billionaires? Unless you are implying that the government gets most of the proceeds and ownership or that everyone is entitled to welfare equity in organizations, who owns the trillion dollar companies if not shareholders? And co-founders/early stage financiers that own the shares of a company worth many billions and/or trillions, and an outsized portion of the shares/percentage of the trillion dollar company?

How does your math work and how am I missing such an obvious point that what I said was so absurd and misinformed to the tops? Serious question and I expect a serious answer.

Edited by DonkeyCigars

Maybe the employees should own more of the means of production? ESOP companies exist now and can in the future.

The pendulum has swung too far in favor of the very rich and powerful. Look at John Deere and their CEO getting a 180% raise and the workers being offered peanuts in their new contract.

1 hour ago, DonkeyCigars said:

How much is enough is a mix of personal opinion and moving target depending on a variety of macro and micro trends (inflation, market conditions, time value of money equations, etc. et al). If you are asking me my personal opinion; $1bn seems reasonable.

Nah, nobody needs a billion dollars. Nobody needs anything more than this paddle ball, this ashtray, and say $5 million.  

35 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

I disagree with your opinion that it's perpetuated bs. But besides that:

How does a Trillion dollar company not create billionaires? Unless you are implying that the government gets most of the proceeds and ownership or that everyone is entitled to welfare equity in organizations, who owns the trillion dollar companies if not shareholders? And co-founders/early stage financiers that own the shares of a company worth many billions and/or trillions, and an outsized portion of the shares/percentage of the trillion dollar company?

How does your math work and how am I missing such an obvious point that what I said was so absurd and misinformed to the tops? Serious question and I expect a serious answer.

Here's your serious answer, nobody, nobody deserves a billion dollars.  What the fuck does a billion dollars give anybody other than to throw their weight around and influence people with less than a billion dollars?  Everybody deserves an equal playing field at birth, having a stacked deck does not do that.   At least, at least, please forego a couple jokers to give the plebes a chance.  

2 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Here's your serious answer, nobody, nobody deserves a billion dollars.  What the fuck does a billion dollars give anybody other than to throw their weight around and influence people with less than a billion dollars?  Everybody deserves an equal playing field at birth, having a stacked deck does not do that.   At least, at least, please forego a couple jokers to give the plebes a chance.  

it's way more than that, but I don't have the time or mental energy to try to explain it to him. the fact that he thinks there cannot be trillion dollar companies without billionaires tells me all I need to know and that I'm likely wasting my time with any evidence I present.

7 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

it's way more than that, but I don't have the time or mental energy to try to explain it to him. the fact that he thinks there cannot be trillion dollar companies without billionaires tells me all I need to know and that I'm likely wasting my time with any evidence I present.

Yep, you're definitely wasting your time.  These people need to be swept into the wastebin of history, sorry, Australia and Texas..  

51 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

abstinent GIF

Wait so you said my claim was laughable and absurd, while it was actually rooted in logic and facts as they stand currently, and are admitting you are wrong? That’s good of you to admit you don’t know what you are talking about and have zero business intelligence.

Edited by DonkeyCigars
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 3

40 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Nah, nobody needs a billion dollars. Nobody needs anything more than this paddle ball, this ashtray, and say $5 million.  

Luckily, shit like this will never more forward because the people that make the rules want more than 5 fucking million dollars. Hell that cunty senator from Az racked up almost a million in the last 24 months.  She’s not stopping at 5. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, fattyflattie said:

Luckily, shit like this will never more forward because the people that make the rules want more than 5 fucking million dollars. Hell that cunty senator from Az racked up almost a million in the last 24 months.  She’s not stopping at 5. 

nobody needs a billion dollars.   Everybody needs healthcare.   You have a problem with that?

41 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Let’s say I agree with you, which I don’t, you are simply espousing an opinion. If you wanted to cap people at $1bn, you would have to drastically redefine how America does business. Full stop. It’s not just a financial change for 700 people, it’s a change that cascades throughout the entire DNA of America and America business and economics. It’s a heavy, heavy redesign and reorganization that will take massive amounts of energy and intelligence from people only rivaled by the founding fathers IMO and let me tell you; James Madison ain’t walking through that door and all the genius-level thinkers and leaders are probably more interested in protecting their assets.

Any wholesale change will need to be after blood is shed, IMO. These are revolutionary type changes we are talking about here (you and Longhorn), which is why it’s just yahoos online with an emotional opinion and not realistic conversations (lol at capping people at $5m or taking everything after a cliff of $1bn)

Edited by DonkeyCigars
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

No, how much money is how much do you need to live.  You wanna be one of those people who bitch because they left their garage open, and someone stole something?  And the reason they left their garage open was because one of their big vehicles wouldn't fit in it?  Well tough shit.  If you leave your shit out in the driveway and then whine about it, that's a you problem.   

2 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Let’s say I agree with you, which I don’t, you are simply espousing an opinion. If you wanted to cap people at $1bn, you would have to drastically redefine how America does business. Full stop. It’s not just a financial change for 700 people, it’s a change that cascades throughout the entire DNA of America and America business and economics. It’s a heavy, heavy redesign and reorganization that will take massive amounts of energy and intelligence from people only rivaled by the founding fathers IMO and let me tell you; James Madison ain’t walking through that door and all the genius-level thinkers and leaders are probably more interested in protecting their assets.

Any wholesale change will need to be after blood is shed, IMO. These are revolutionary type changes we are talking about here (you and Longhorn), which is why it’s just yahoos online with an emotional opinion and not realistic conversations (lol at capping people at $5m or taking everything after a cliff of $1bn)

Here's the thing, Donkey Cigars, although I doubt you've ever owned a donkey, I have, and they are loyal animals.  The rich in this country haven't done shit to earn it other than to be there.  They are rich at the expense of our poor.   If you want to create divisiveness, which I think you are probably paid to do (you seem like a troll), you would invite a wealth tax.   It would ease things, and not make people like me so mad.   

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

No, how much money is how much do you need to live.  You wanna be one of those people who bitch because they left their garage open, and someone stole something?  And the reason they left their garage open was because one of their big vehicles wouldn't fit in it?  Well tough shit.  If you leave your shit out in the driveway and then whine about it, that's a you problem.   

And who determines how much is needed to live? Who is benchmarking these things and enforcing it?

The government? That sounds awfully close to something that is not capitalism cum democracy, but something more, shall we say, centrally planned by a commune?

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, DonkeyCigars said:

And who determines how much is needed to live? Who is benchmarking these things and enforcing it?

Sure.  The government should absolutely be involved in determining what the poverty and above poverty levels are, and social security and retirement policy should be built around that data.

How else would any government handle this, assuming the government had the recognized duty of its citizen's general welfare. 

You've never heard of the poverty level?  It's a thing.  Although it addresses income, it's pretty useful inasmuch as anyone living near the poverty level tends to not have much in the way of valuable assets.

EDIT:  tantric edged me out at the finish line

Edited by jimmyjazz

2 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Here's the thing, Donkey Cigars, although I doubt you've ever owned a donkey, I have, and they are loyal animals.  The rich in this country haven't done shit to earn it other than to be there.  They are rich at the expense of our poor.   If you want to create divisiveness, which I think you are probably paid to do (you seem like a troll), you would invite a wealth tax.   It would ease things, and not make people like me so mad.   

1) I’m not a troll and especially not being paid.

2) You are admitting that a wealth tax is divisive. Okay.

3) I guess it’s the company you keep, but most people I know don’t want to be told there is a cap on earnings and potential. You will get a cap on effort and outcomes.

Again, as stated before, if you are okay with not trying to continually improve and be cutting edge with innovation and advancement but are okay with maybe 80% of optimal performance, a cap on billionaire might make sense.

But what costs will be born from losing ground to other countries who will leapfrog America then? Are they existential threats and costs?

To your point is continuing as is business as usual, an existential threat? I don’t believe so, but I respect others who say maybe. I’ve never seen a more toxic culture of America than today (but then again I’m not old enough to have ever owned a loyal donkey)

• Hook 'Em 2