Joe Biden 2021

tantric superman

13 hours ago, Incredulity said:

Totally,  food and fuel inflation are essential rounding for the poor.  Not a total face fucking when weekly groceries go from $200 to $400 and filling up the Camry goes from $25 to $50.  

You aren't talking about the poor. You're talking about the lower middle class.

31 minutes ago, elfenix said:

gas prices have never gone up before!  this is unprecedented!

Almost like the O&G industry hasn't recovered from laying off a bunch of people during COVID and reducing rig counts and selling off assets. 

• Hook 'Em 1

54 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

$600 seems far too low a threshold for this purpose, though.

Some of this is targeting the Gig economy. Targeting gig workers is a poor policy choice at this stage in the recovery. There are other funding mechanisms available.

On the monetary side, we print money for banks when they are running low on funds - or when they just need a pick-me-up. We have been printing $120 Billion a month for the Financial Sector - and no one bats an eye.

Over $2.5+ Trillion printed each year for the Financial Sector. Taxes don't fund this subsidy to the financial sector. It is the safety net for the financial sector.

A human safety net is affordable. If we able to successfully print $2.5+ trillion a year for the financial sector (not paid for), our economic system can afford a similar financial safety net for human citizens. 

Fund the human sector with the same monetary tools we use to fund the financial sector. 

TLDR: Tax policy should be separate legislation.

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Almost like the O&G industry hasn't recovered from laying off a bunch of people during COVID and reducing rig counts and selling off assets. 

I posted this elsewhere a few days back.  It's the daily close of popular gasoline ETF UGA.  This ETF is designed to track the daily percent change in the national average price of unleaded gasoline.  The horizontal line is UGA's average closing price over a 10-year period.  Shocking, I know.

No photo description available.

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, elfenix said:

gas prices have never gone up before!  this is unprecedented!

The energy shock is occurring in Europe and Asia. We are seeing continued hoarding behavior by nation-states heading into winter. It's a contagion that is worth watching. And remember - the 2008 Oil Shock deepened the misery of the 2007-08 Great Recession.

Using crude as a proxy for energy, $130+ a barrel oil (2008) would certainly damage our economic system and promote cost-push inflation

If I was in Europe, I would worry about Texas Winter Storm-type supply interruptions. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

The energy shock is occurring in Europe and Asia. We are seeing continued hoarding behavior by nation-states heading into winter. It's a contagion that is worth watching. And remember - the 2008 Oil Shock deepened the misery of the 2007-08 Great Recession.

Using crude as a proxy for energy, $130+ a barrel oil (2008) would certainly damage our economic system and promote cost-push inflation

If I was in Europe, I would worry about Texas Winter Storm-type supply interruptions. 

What’s causing their energy shock?

• Fuck You 1

7 minutes ago, Satoshi said:

What’s causing their energy shock?

https://documents.acer.europa.eu/en/The_agency/Organisation/Documents/Energy Prices_Final.pdf

• While various factors have contributed to the high energy prices in Europe, the main driver is the surge in the price of natural gas.
  • This price surge has been mainly caused by a tight global LNG market.
  • Forward markets expect a significant drop in wholesale prices for gas and electricity in spring 2022.
  • A key variable in the very near term is the upcoming winter and its implications for gas demand.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

https://documents.acer.europa.eu/en/The_agency/Organisation/Documents/Energy Prices_Final.pdf

• While various factors have contributed to the high energy prices in Europe, the main driver is the surge in the price of natural gas.
  • Forward markets expect a significant drop in wholesale prices for gas and electricity in spring 2022.
  • A key variable in the very near term is the upcoming winter and its implications for gas demand.

From the document:

As mentioned above, pipeline imports to the EU have remained steady. Gazprom is the biggest supplier of gas to the European market, having approximately 35%
market share. Hence, there have been discussions on why the current high European prices have not triggered an increase in deliveries from Gazprom.

On one hand, according to publicly available information, Gazprom has deliveredits contractual gas commitments. It is expected that Gazprom deliveries will have
increased by 5% YoY by the end of the year. On the other hand, there is significanttransport capacity currently not booked which would allow for increased Gazprom
supplies to Europe, thus adding to questions as to why this has not happened.

They mention an increase in the number of markets for their supply (such as Turkey), but they are being rather coy if you ask me and trying to be diplomatic about it. Going to get real interesting with this situation plus a few EU countries thumbing their noses at democracy.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Primary driver is tight global gas market. Not enough hydrocarbons being extracted. 

The secondary factors listed included lower than expected renewable generation and decreased domestic gas production -10% YoY and investment. 

Seems like a crisis largely of the making of the ongoing transition to green energy. 

Their look into the future is also enlightening. Because of the unreliability of green energy they predict more volatile swings in electricity prices and they suggest subsidizing companies that can smooth the volatility in any way. They also suggest subsidies for customers on the lower end socioeconomic scale to deal with large future price swings. It’s going to take a lot of government money to get this thing off the ground and working into a reliable system. 

• Fuck You 3

20 minutes ago, Satoshi said:

Primary driver is tight global gas market. Not enough hydrocarbons being extracted. 

The secondary factors listed included lower than expected renewable generation and decreased domestic gas production -10% YoY and investment. 

Seems like a crisis largely of the making of the ongoing transition to green energy. 

Their look into the future is also enlightening. Because of the unreliability of green energy they predict more volatile swings in electricity prices and they suggest subsidizing companies that can smooth the volatility in any way. They also suggest subsidies for customers on the lower end socioeconomic scale to deal with large future price swings. It’s going to take a lot of government money to get this thing off the ground and working into a reliable system. 

holy gazprom stockholder! You sure do hate anything that reduces global demand for daddy putin's gas, and LOVE bitcoin which drives energy demands. cyka blyat!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Captainant said:

holy gazprom stockholder! You sure do hate anything that reduces global demand for daddy putin's gas, and LOVE bitcoin which drives energy demands. cyka blyat!

Jesus, you’re such a simpleton. I would propose there should be more worldwide investment in gas exploration to increase supply. That would hurt Putin’s strategic position vs Europe.  

As for Bitcoin energy consumption I’m afraid you’re incapable of a coherent discussion on the topic. 

• Fuck You 2

2 minutes ago, Satoshi said:

As for Bitcoin energy consumption I’m afraid you’re incapable of a coherent discussion on the topic. 

IMO, I think proof of stake is a much better blockchain mechanism than proof of work thanks to its energy savings - and that BTC is probably going to either go the way of the dodo or require a massive overhaul to bring some of its features and tech up to snuff. It's a pretty old protocol, and it shows.

Besides, I'd think you were more into a privacy-focused crypto

I've avoided this thread.  I'm not going to try to catch up.  I'm just going to say I voted for Biden and am disappointed in what he's done and not done so far.  Sure, he's got a mountain of problems not-of-his-own-making and his opposition is working tirelessly to prevent his success, but it is his job to overcome all that and fix the mess he inherited.  I don't think he's doing very well.  Certainly not as well as Obama with the mess he inherited (which I grant you was of a lesser magnitude).

It is going to really suck as a voter when Trump and Biden are our likely options in 2024. I'll stand in the voting booth looking at my choice between failed President A or failed President B.  Then I'll start looking to see if I can hack the voting machine to vote 3409130490 times for Biden again, because:

20210213_usp501.jpg

capitol-riot-trump-flags-gty-img.jpg

gettyimages-1230455457-1-_wide-a25974aa0

106827290-1611170191961-dan.jpg?v=162671

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Captainant said:

IMO, I think proof of stake is a much better blockchain mechanism than proof of work thanks to its energy savings - and that BTC is probably going to either go the way of the dodo or require a massive overhaul to bring some of its features and tech up to snuff. It's a pretty old protocol, and it shows.

Besides, I'd think you were more into a privacy-focused crypto

Proof of Stake is a fundamentally flawed system. Over time large stakeholders receive proportionally larger rewards which in the end is a centralizing force. This is why hedge funds, banks and even governments are signaling that they prefer PoS. They can become large stakeholders with their financial clout and co-opt the network. It’s just another version of our current financial system. Decentralization is a key point. PoW maintains decentralization. Even though I own more Bitcoin than you I have no more influence than you over the network. 

The energy usage of Bitcoin is substantial and undeniable, but the mix of energy is greener than the average electric grid and it’s necessary to secure the network in a decentralized fashion. What’s the carbon footprint of securing the USD?

As far BTC going the way of the dodo you can put the percent chance of that happening at zero at this point.  The tech is evolving pretty rapidly on level 2 like Lightning. Perhaps look up some videos of Jack Mallers and Strike. 

I would prefer BTC have better privacy and there will be changes towards that over time, but the best chance to make a truly decentralized currency work is Bitcoin so I prefer to focus on that succeeding and improve privacy as we go. 

• Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I almost want Bernie to primary Biden just to activate voters.  Politically speaking, the republicans seem to have the enthusiasm advantage along with all the structural advantages and Biden doesn’t seem interested in changing any of it. Sad! 

I'd be fine with this. If Biden, or whomever is not Bernie, wins it's likely that person will have to envelop some of all (not likely) of Bernie's agenda into their own. it's already happening. biden has already denounced trickle-down and said it's time to start taxing the extremely wealthy. Bernie has been saying that since the Dust Bowl

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I almost want Bernie to primary Biden just to activate voters.  Politically speaking, the republicans seem to have the enthusiasm advantage along with all the structural advantages and Biden doesn’t seem interested in changing any of it. Sad! 

I'm almost shocked you didn't say Warren.  But yes, America totally needs a third presidential cycle where Bernie voters fail to show up to vote for Bernie but tell us all how their agenda is the most popular one. 

Pass. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Biden is the political equivalent of a dry toast and black coffee breakfast.

13 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Just got an NYT headline saying Manchin is going to torpedo the climate parts of the Biden budget.  FUCK YOU ASSHOLE.

Because the fossil fuel industry has been just tremendous to the environmental majesty of West Virginia.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Satoshi said:

You went from acknowledging it’s because of natural gas supply to blaming the transition to green energy in the same post. Very impressive 

image.png.b6a85dbed406fd24152c0656a441b692.png

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Apparently that's exactly what people who vote like.  If it keeps dotard's ass down in Mar-a-Lago I'm good with it.

Probably not. I'm guessing it had more to do with people not wanting Trump shit bread.

People just were anti-Trump.

1 minute ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Cool, so if dotard runs again we have nothing to worry about.  That’s fine.

I wouldn't be confident. Running as "I'm not Trump" worked during Covid but will likely lose its selling point several years from now.

Fucking terrible strategy.

14 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

It’s sad a “I’m not a racist and serial rapist autocrat bent on destroying democracy” is a bad strategy 

It's sad that people think it's a good thing that it's a winning strategy. Can you imagine interviewing someone with that as their main talking point in an interview?

"I don't knock shit about anything but I'm not a racist nor a rapist."

25 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

You went from acknowledging it’s because of natural gas supply to blaming the transition to green energy in the same post. Very impressive 

image.png.b6a85dbed406fd24152c0656a441b692.png

I’m not an expert on oil and gas investment and supply dynamics but in 2021 Investment is slipping relative to green investment. And global energy markets price in future conditions, but I’m sure you knew that as sharp you are. So even with decreasing supply currently markets are pricing in decreased supply going forward. 

https://www.spglobal.com/platts/en/market-insights/latest-news/natural-gas/060221-upstream-oil-and-gas-spending-to-cede-more-ground-to-renewables-in-2021-iea

Of course you also have the fact that Europe is a gas importer because they have several countries that ban fracking despite massive reserves. I’m afraid you’re the 🤡 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 3

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm not a big dry toast guy, but anyone who opposes black coffee is a Nazi.

He is keeping promises to all that elected him. Others aren't. His commitment is important for Party unity. I would give him a B for attempting to stabilize the chaos. 

He is not responsible for Sinema and Manchin's utter depravity. The Senate needs to police itself.  What those two are doing weakens our battered representative democracy. 

Edited by washparkhorn
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

He is keeping promises to all that elected him. Others aren't. His commitment is important for Party unity. I would give him a B for attempting to stabilize the chaos. 

He is not responsible for Sinema and Manchin's utter depravity. The Senate needs to police itself.  What those two are doing weakens our battered representative democracy. 

What does “police itself” mean? These Senators are accountable to their constituents. Not in some idealistic way, but in that they’re selfish individuals that want to keep their kush jobs. 

• Fuck You 2

22 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

Important to note that progressives killed the infrastructure bill, not moderates ( at least thus far)

Progressives haven't killed anything. Progressives, as a whole, have shown party discipline. The Party agreed to pass both measures. As expected, the obstructionists (and many centrists) prefer the bill that only the subsidizes corporations and the wealthy.

To its credit, the Administration has kept pushing human-centered rebuilding of a safety net.

The corrupt shanked the Biden Presidency. 

Edited by washparkhorn
  • Like 5

Progressives haven't killed anything. Progressives, as a whole, have shown party discipline. The Party agreed to pass both measures. As expected, the obstructionists (and many centrists) prefer the bill that only the subsidizes corporations and the wealthy.
To its credit, the Administration has kept pushing human-centered rebuilding of a safety net.
The corrupt shanked the Biden Presidency. 

Disagree. There is a bill supporting infrastructure the house could pass right now except the progressives have it held hostage.

Manchin and Sienma are going to make BErnie decide if he’s been full of shit for the last 40 years or pass nothing.