Formula 1 2021

wood

1 hour ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Yeah, I caught that earlier too but, nothing since then    He needs to have a good second half of the season 

For all of the problems with tire degradation lately, the Ferrari was the best car in traffic today. Both Carlos and Lec were able to move through the field with ease. Everyone else seemed to struggle to overtake, maybe due to temperature and also the fact that tire degradation was non existent. 

On lap 7 Daniel was P9 and closing on George. He had low power (Lap 9 DR came on the radio to report, team responded that they think it’s recovered) and lost 4 positions in 1 turn. Never seemed to recover. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

2 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Yeah, just needed another half lap.  He’s really giving Mercedes a kick in the gut. Two cars coming at them is fun

Checo has made a clear impact in the 2nd RBR. With a typical Red Bull sub-2.5s pitstop, he probably podiums.  He needs to be a bit cleaner on Saturdays but has got race pace in that car for sure. He’s earned that seat next year. 

Edited by Dutch
  • Hook 'Em 2

This is my first season watching race to race after catching up on Drive to Survive, but I do not understand the love for Ricciardo.  He is getting embarrassed by Lando this season.  

All things considered, the Ferraris were great.  LeClerc having to take an extra pit stop and still finishing that high was impressive.  Just coolly moving up all the way through the race.

He drove the wheels off the Renault last year. He was really good in RedBull but had Max as his team mate. He moved up 4 or 5 places at the beginning of the race and had an issue that shuffled him back. As someone up thread said - it seems long stints are easier to learn in a new car than that one lap speed.

There’s no way around the lack of good results, some from his own doing and others simply from bad luck. Still, Danny gets a lot of his love from just being an all around good dude. He’s my favorite on and off the track but Danny is an easy guy to root for even if he isn’t your favorite driver. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, DoneWithit said:

There’s no way around the lack of good results, some from his own doing and others simply from bad luck. Still, Danny gets a lot of his love from just being an all around good dude. He’s my favorite on and off the track but Danny is an easy guy to root for even if he isn’t your favorite driver. 

This.

Likeable guy. Hope he figures things out with the McLaren because you have to be more than likeable to stay in F1.

4 hours ago, hornimal said:

mission winnow logos are removed for the european races. tobacco advertising is banned in the eu.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

when i see that fucking trademark i just think of a fishing lure

22 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

How does Ferrari not have a rear wing sponsor?

they do, but are removed for EU races

https://us.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferrari-removes-mission-winnow-logos-for-eu-f1-races/6581108/

Spoiler

Mission Winnow, an initiative started by Philip Morris as part of a move to a non-tobacco future, has been title partner of Ferrari since it was first launched at the 2018 Japanese GP.

Its logos have been prominent on the Ferrari engine cover, as well as the wording appearing on the rear wing and other areas of the car.

However, there have been periods where the Mission Winnow logos have been taken off because Philip Morris wanted to avoid any controversy amid increasing government scrutiny about whether or not it breached tobacco advertising laws.

It was absent for a number of races in 2019 and did not appear at all during the shortened 2020 campaign.

For this year, however, the Mission Winnow logos returned in a bright green colour in a bid to raise further awareness for the campaign.

But ahead of this weekend's race at Paul Ricard, Philip Morris said that its logos would no longer feature at any races within the EU.

The company also confirmed that it did not intend to run them at next month's British Grand Prix either.

In a statement, Riccardo Parino, VP Global Partnerships at Philip Morris, cited the 'mistrust' and 'scepticism' towards the tobacco industry, and said that his company did not wish to get involved in any controversies by pushing on with running the logo.

"The Mission Winnow logo will not be featured on the Scuderia Ferrari livery during races in the EU, starting with the French Grand Prix this weekend," he said.

"Mission Winnow respects all laws and regulations and continuously strives to find distinctive ways to drive dialogue, free of ideology, and build strong partnerships that are rooted in shared values.

"We acknowledge the mistrust and abundance of scepticism towards our industry. However, our intention is not to create controversy around the application of the logo but rather focus on re-framing global conversations, building communities, and supporting innovative ideas that drive positive change."

In a separate development, Ferrari announced a new technical and commercial partnership with Amazon Web Services, with the company's logos appearing on the nose of the SF21.

• Hook 'Em 1

What's the view on the 2 stops for Perez?  I know he ran out of laps and was right on Bottas at the end, but did he need that second stop?  I could be wrong, but I feel like he was right on top of Bottas and gaining on him right before the 2nd stop.  

FIA didn't like Max's victory burnout and warns it won't be tolerated again.

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/31381/12343794/max-verstappens-burnout-styrian-gp-finish-line-celebration-will-not-be-tolerated-again-says-fia?fbclid=IwAR2KWjp5v9j4aB3sYyDfRFXeaM-rbs_bYqRzHQspsARH4B4euX0G4mw8gbE

I know Lewis was way behind him, but I did wonder if there were any backmarkers that might be closer to him, when I saw him do that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stringer said:

What's the view on the 2 stops for Perez?  I know he ran out of laps and was right on Bottas at the end, but did he need that second stop?  I could be wrong, but I feel like he was right on top of Bottas and gaining on him right before the 2nd stop.  

Worth the gamble.  Checo was a pitstop and then some ahead of 5th, and he wasn't going to run down Bottas on tires a lap older. Also, he managed to take the extra point for fastest lap off Hamilton (or at least until Hamilton pitted and took it back on the last lap).

On 6/27/2021 at 9:48 AM, ChickenSandwich said:

For all of the problems with tire degradation lately, the Ferrari was the best car in traffic today. Both Carlos and Lec were able to move through the field with ease. Everyone else seemed to struggle to overtake, maybe due to temperature and also the fact that tire degradation was non existent. 

On lap 7 Daniel was P9 and closing on George. He had low power (Lap 9 DR came on the radio to report, team responded that they think it’s recovered) and lost 4 positions in 1 turn. Never seemed to recover. 

Sounds like both Danny and Lando were having overheating problems yesterday.  That's supposedly why Lando let Checo and Bottas through so fast, so he could have clean air to drive in.

47 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Sounds like both Danny and Lando were having overheating problems yesterday.  That's supposedly why Lando let Checo and Bottas through so fast, so he could have clean air to drive in.

Not doubting of course, but he was in front of them and way behind the front two. Once Perez got him then I guess it would make sense for clean air, but not really before. 

22 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Not doubting of course, but he was in front of them and way behind the front two. Once Perez got him then I guess it would make sense for clean air, but not really before. 

Yeah, I'm not 100% sure about that.  Just something I've seen discussed.  Would make sense, though.

Does anyone know if you can get F1 (specifically McLaren) merch anywhere except the F1 store and the McLaren F1 store?  Chewy Jr. ordered a Danny Ric hat about a month ago from the F1 store.  It never showed up.  Turns out it got stolen when it got to NYC.  So he's getting a refund but we'd rather not deal with the fuckery if we don't have to.  And they're expensive as shit.  $65 for a fucking hat after shipping.

We called the McLaren dealership in Denver (only one in CO) and they cannot order the F1 merch, just the plain McLaren stuff.

18 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Does anyone know if you can get F1 (specifically McLaren) merch anywhere except the F1 store and the McLaren F1 store?  Chewy Jr. ordered a Danny Ric hat about a month ago from the F1 store.  It never showed up.  Turns out it got stolen when it got to NYC.  So he's getting a refund but we'd rather not deal with the fuckery if we don't have to.  And they're expensive as shit.  $65 for a fucking hat after shipping.

We called the McLaren dealership in Denver (only one in CO) and they cannot order the F1 merch, just the plain McLaren stuff.

Amazon has some limited stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/F1-McLaren-2021-Daniel-Ricciardo/dp/B08X1WJNLS/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=mclaren+formula+1+hat&qid=1625010613&sr=8-10

9 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

why no KIMOA

On 6/28/2021 at 12:26 PM, Huckleberry said:

f1_driver_2000x1125.jpg?width=1128&heigh

ricciardo-with-UT-cheerleaders.jpg?w=204

9dp282yonjw31.png

EX-LEWfWoAIEj5R.jpg

Hope this helps clarify a bit.

Yep, and there's also the fact that he's the reason Vettel tucked tail and left RBR. He did the same when the next generational talent joined him there. It seems the Renaults/Alpines have some fundamental differences that make them hard for new drivers to adapt to. When Danny went to Renault, he struggled with how different the car was. Then last year he dominated Ocon, who was just moving to Renault and was struggling. Then Danny moved to McLaren & is finding another car with a narrow window that according to some requires a very different driving style to get the most out of it ( https://us.motorsport.com/f1/news/mclaren-ricciardo-driving-style-hurting-2021/6515061/ ). He's new to the car, and Lando has been driving it for two years.

Ricciardo's adjustment does seem to be taking a bit longer than Alonso (who's really showing his class now, despite 2 years away and very little testing), Sainz, Perez, & Vettel ... but none of these guys is fully adjusted yet. These guys all struggled for the first few races. Moving to a new team with hardly any testing will do that, and yeah, the last thing they're gonna nail down when moving to a new car is the ability to extract those last couple or three tenths from the car on one lap pace. In order to do that, more than any other single thing, you have to have confidence in the car and know how it will react if he does this or that at the limit. He doesn't have that right now. Alonso predicted it would take him 4 or 5 races to start putting everything together, and it seems like he was right on the money.

Edited by wood
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, wood said:

Yep, and there's also the fact that he's the reason Vettel tucked tail and left RBR. He did the same when the next generational talent joined him there. It seems the Renaults/Alpines have some fundamental differences that make them hard for new drivers to adapt to. When Danny went to Renault, he struggled with how different the car was. Then last year he dominated Ocon, who was just moving to Renault and was struggling. Then Danny moved to McLaren & is finding another car with a narrow window that according to some requires a very different driving style to get the most out of it ( https://us.motorsport.com/f1/news/mclaren-ricciardo-driving-style-hurting-2021/6515061/ ). He's new to the car, and Lando has been driving it for two years.

Ricciardo's adjustment does seem to be taking a bit longer than Alonso (who's really showing his class now, despite 2 years away and very little testing), Sainz, Perez, & Vettel ... but none of these guys is fully adjusted yet. These guys all struggled for the first few races. Moving to a new team with hardly any testing will do that, and yeah, the last thing they're gonna nail down when moving to a new car is the ability to extract those last couple or three tenths from the car on one lap pace. In order to do that, more than any other single thing, you have to have confidence in the car and know how it will react if he does this or that at the limit. He doesn't have that right now. Alonso predicted it would take him 4 or 5 races to start putting everything together, and it seems like he was right on the money.

Alonzo did get the benefit of driving the previous versions of the car, Ricciardo did not.  When they canceled pre season practice, many of these guys were screwed out of time to get up to speed and had to do so on P1 during the opening week.

7 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Alonzo did get the benefit of driving the previous versions of the car, Ricciardo did not.  When they canceled pre season practice, many of these guys were screwed out of time to get up to speed and had to do so on P1 during the opening week.

Yeah Alonso got a little bit of seat time in the older cars, but it was mostly just to practice procedures with the team and get familiar with the team, the new steering wheel, etc, so he could get the most out of his very limited winter testing time. 1.5 days iirc, which is nuts. Getting used to the team itself is no small task. Danny did get a filming day in the 35M at Silverstone in February, but every little bit of seat time helps. 

25 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

So how the hell do you pronounce Charles LeClerc?

I've heard Charl Leclaire, Charl LeClerc, and Charles LeClerc all from the broadcast team.

Sometimes I think it depends on the British announcers. Some just flat out butcher it, while others make an attempt to pronounce it as a Frenchman would.

Sometimes I think it depends on the British announcers. Some just flat out butcher it, while others make an attempt to pronounce it as a Frenchman would.
But I've heard him say his name is Charles LeClerc. That's why I'm confused. Is he just saying that for the English speaking audience, or is that how he says it?