Formula 1 2021

wood

3 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

That’s amazing. It’s also crazy to think Max still beat Lando after giving him a tow and it looks like Max missed the apex a bit on turn 3. 

Speaking of turn 3, it was crazy to see how tight the Ferrari’s could go in turn 3 and still have speed out of the corner. A couple of Charles’ moves in that spot were wild. His entry and exit out of there that led to his initial pass of Perez was amazing. 

Yeah, the AI in F1 2019 is terribly slow out of that corner, makes it an easy track in solo mode.

Wait, what?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, wood said:

They re-stripe just before the GP, & didn't have one last year, so it faded.

It was freshly painted before NASCAR in May, but it didn't look like they put as much paint down as they usually do for F1.

4 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

No judgement. Anyone build a sim set up for F1 racing?

I made one for my boys. Nice seat. Nothing fancy in terms of wheel/pedals, but it has worked amazingly well and for a long time. I got an almost new Playseat with mounting framing from a guy on craigslist for like $40. Cost like $450 new. Thrustmaster Force Feedback wheel & pedals work great and are super durable. Got it really cheap, too, can't even remember where.  Pretty sure I have less than $100 in mine. Even for the level of equipment I have, people pay around 10x what I paid for new stuff . My 17 yo has put in hundreds of hours in driving games. He's really quick, even with that wheel and even with no driver aids on the Assetto Corsa, the F1 games, Forza, Project Cars, etc.  Wins races all the time.

There is no better way to learn the tracks outside of driving them irl.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 7/10/2021 at 3:35 PM, PittsburghTiger said:

Yeah Jeremy, thanks for tuning in, in 2021, after all of us said that last season.

Ha! It's like you're inside my head ... 

On 7/5/2021 at 6:25 PM, wood said:

Thanks Clarkson. Welcome to 2020.

On 7/12/2021 at 3:35 PM, Chewbacca said:

He has been busy farming.

Yeah my kid got me started watching that the other day. My boys will watch anything Clarkson & Hammond do...and even some things May does. 

Not a bad show.

Edited by wood
  • Like 3

On 7/12/2021 at 5:46 PM, elguapo said:

It will make it's way to a Mafia don, a Russian oligarch, a Chinese billionaire, or a Sheik.

The thief will get $500 to $5,000 and money will be made at each step along the way.

It will be in a glass display case and displayed like a trophy... because it is. (An Italian mobster would be the funniest given the game's outcome.) 🤣

58 minutes ago, DoneWithit said:

SIAP. I honestly thought most drivers do this nowadays. 

Many do have home rigs that are very nice, but I don't think they're as sophisticated as the factory setups. Those have full motion, steering wheels like the ones in their F1 car, constantly updated circuit-dependent software that takes into account new setups, predicted conditions, strategies, etc.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

I think pretty much all the young guys do, but the older ones, like Ricc, Ham, Vet don’t seem to. Hamilton said he barely ever used the one at Mercedes until a few weeks ago. 

Meanwhile, Lando and Verstappen race online with regular people.

• Hook 'Em 2

Here’s a pretty sick graphic showing every car design from 1950 to 2022. I wish it played a little slower, but some of the changes are pretty incredible.  It was cool to see how they started to figure out rear wings in the late 60s. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 1

Man that was fun. Add one more set of softs for Q3. Fun to see them trim tenths over all three sessions. Danny nearly matches Lando. I know the traditionalist are not, but stoked for the sprint race (and qualifying might have been the best of the season). 

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, DoneWithit said:

This design is supposed to get rid of DSR or at least make it not as big of a deal, correct? 

DRS remains. The main goal seems to be the ability to follow. 

Huge reductions in loss of downforce for the following cars. The current cars can lose as much as 85% of DF when on a gear box. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Thanks.  So it's like a short qualifying race to set the grid for the actual race with some extra points for the top 3?  Seems a little redundant but it leads to an additional starting lap which as I said is one of the most exciting things about race weekend, for me personally.  I don't know shit about this sport but based on what I do know I think there might be some competition among the top 5-6 but the rest of the field will likely just status quo.