Formula 1 2021

wood

2 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I think Fastest Lap point should not just be limited to the top-10. Let the points spears among the field.

I agree, but in this case it didn't matter. New track record.

2 hours ago, RamjetFDO said:

It's just a parade now 

Cars to big?

Cars can’t follow? (I know the new car is supposed to help with this in regards to downforce loss but what about heating issues?)

Course too narrow?  Announcer threw out “no blue flags here”? Make the whole course a DRS zone?

Best track worst race. 

On 5/22/2021 at 9:50 AM, Hawndoh said:

Ferrari will probably make a bad strategy call and then either Verstappen or Bottas will win.

20 hours ago, pops said:

There is no way Ferrari won't find a way to fuck it up

Yep. Bad decision not to take the grid penalty and fix the gearbox. 

29 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

With all of Zero on track passes today, it was their only shot to win and they still got P2. I think they’d make the same gamble. 

There was one, you just didn't get to see it.

• Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

All the reports are saying it wasn’t the gearbox but the drive shaft on the non-crash side of the car. I’ll be curious to see if Ferrari just missed it or there was some reason it went undetected (like no visible issue until it had to perform under load this morning). I’m also not sure how much they were able to inspect with parc ferme rules in place.

Either way it sucks, having LeClerc in the lead with a likely faster Verstappen behind him and having those two fight it out all race would’ve made this GP infinitely more exciting. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Most of the young guys are pretty friendly with each other, except for Mazepin I guess.

Norris and Verstappen regularly streamed video games on Twitch together throughout quarantine last summer. Leclerc was also part of those streams. They'd all play Call of Duty together.

• Hook 'Em 1

Ferrari confirms it was the left driveshaft and they didn’t even check it. Like I said before, I’m not sure exactly what their time constraints and limitations were re testing/inspecting the whole car due to parc ferme, but it definitely seems like we had some classic Ferrari fuckery going on here. Especially since the driveshaft could have been replaced with no penalty if it was damaged after the crash. 

Kinda LeClerc’s fault but also some terrible luck for him at the same time. Maybe I’m missing something, but It’s hard not to think that Merc or RBR would have caught the issue and had their driver start on pole with a perfectly fine car. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

Got to watch the race on satellite whilst out at COTA for the NASCAR race.  It was... pretty processional.  But still, so pretty.

We watched outside under the RV awning, only light rain at that point, and a few NACAR fans wandered by and asked us some questions.  They were confused with all the right turns. :)

Unbelievable bad luck for LeClerc, what a kick in the nards.

Not a super fan by any stretch but this was boring as shit.  Dude's wheel not coming off in a pit stop was the most exciting thing that happened all day.

Some races can be boring, but F1 is a like reality TV show…the actual race is a tiny speck in the grand scheme of the story/things most of the time.

My only question about the race is what Bottas was saying while Hamilton was bitching about getting burned by a Mercedes decision for once.
"Oh for fuck's sake just shut the hell up, Lewis. You have no fucking idea."

Ha.

Lewis has been burned plenty in his career with strategy/reliability, to be fair. McLaren lost him a championship with bad strategy as a rookie, and he retired from the lead in 3 races in 2012 which would’ve put him square in the title fight.

Mercedes also went against what Lewis wanted to do setup-wise on Saturday, which got him pissy to start with. I can’t blame him too much.

On 5/23/2021 at 12:00 PM, TonyTexas said:

I disagree. I'm all about slamming Ferrari for stupid decisions, but they knew if they fixed the gearbox & started from P6, they had no chance for the win. They checked it out, didn't find damage, and knew it was risky, but rolled the dice for a Monaco win. They gambled, and lost. It was a high-risk, high-reward move. I think at just about any other race, they'd have fixed the gearbox and taken the penalty, but at Monaco, I think pretty much everyone would have done what they did - unless they were in a close battle for & had a real shot for the WDC or WCC. They aren't winning either of those things & have been in the dumps. A Monaco win would have been massive for them, and apparently it wasn't even the gearbox that let them down in the end.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, wood said:

I disagree. I'm all about slamming Ferrari for stupid decisions, but they knew if they fixed the gearbox & started from P6, they had no chance for the win. They checked it out, didn't find damage, and knew it was risky, but rolled the dice for a Monaco win. They gambled, and lost. It was a high-risk, high-reward move. I think at just about any other race, they'd have fixed the gearbox and taken the penalty, but at Monaco, I think pretty much everyone would have done what they did - unless they were in a close battle for & had a real shot for the WDC or WCC. They aren't winning either of those things & have been in the dumps. A Monaco win would have been massive for them, and apparently it wasn't even the gearbox that let them down in the end.

And even if they had changed the gearbox, the part that failed would have still be on the car so it would have been the same result.  

• Hook 'Em 1