2018 San Antonio Spurs Offseason Thread -- Into the Great Unknown

Patrick Bateman

One of the biggest bummers from shaggy's implosion: we may never know if that lamarcusoldridge fellow still thinks Kawhi is the best basketball player evar.

It seems like just yesterday that he was telling everyone to relax, and the reporting by Woj and Lowe was just throwing shit against a wall.

Edited by aggie08
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 2

10 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

One of the biggest bummers from shaggy's implosion: we may never know if that lamarcusoldridge fellow still thinks Kawhi is the best basketball player evar.

It seems like just yesterday that he was telling everyone to relax, and the reporting by Woj and Lowe was just throwing shit against a wall.

oh man, that guy is probably damn near suicidal right now.

6 hours ago, chainsaw said:

Does anyone think maybe there's a woman at the bottom of all of this?

I didn't think it was possible for him to lose more respect, but this would do it.

This whole mess is an object lesson in not listening to family when they don't know what the hell they are talking about. 

Uncle Dennis. Super genius 

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

I got a neg rep from some got named walte646 for this...did oldridge make the jump!? Please say yes.

55 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

I didn't think it was possible for him to lose more respect, but this would do it.

This whole mess is an object lesson in not listening to family when they don't know what the hell they are talking about. 

Uncle Dennis. Super genius 

I mean, not really. From Kawhis  perspective everything is turning out fine.  He got to rest and rehab for a year while making 20 million.   Got to spend a few months in NYC  farting around.  Didn't have to do any post game interviews or press conferences.  He might get to Los Angeles year sooner, and he's still in line for a max deal in 2019.  The only downside  for him is he pissed off and alienated an entire city, and will hear a flood of boos twice a year for the rest of his career.

This Silver douche is asleep at the wheel. The East is now complete garbage, so the finals will completely suck. The warriors have a legit all-star team now at every position. Kawhi is going to chase a sneaker deal while helping Lebron lose to GSW in the first round every year. And the Spurs and every other small market team in the league is going to suck forever now bc every budding star is going to go chase their "brand" after their first contract is up in either LA, Chicago, or NY.

33 minutes ago, NoRagrets said:

This Silver douche is asleep at the wheel. The East is now complete garbage, so the finals will completely suck. The warriors have a legit all-star team now at every position. Kawhi is going to chase a sneaker deal while helping Lebron lose to GSW in the first round every year. And the Spurs and every other small market team in the league is going to suck forever now bc every budding star is going to go chase their "brand" after their first contract is up in either LA, Chicago, or NY.

For quite awhile now, the NBA has held little of my interest outside of the Spurs. I wasn't even seeing many of their games until the playoffs. The Kawhi thing and the constant making of superteams is just killing it for me. College basketball barely been on my radar in many years. Silver needs to do something. This is like AAU-level shit -- let's create as good a team as we can and go win a title.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Championship window is at least 2-4 years away for everybody. 

I'm getting close to trade LMA and get young assets/draft picks. Then tank. 

I was kind of wondering if this would eventually happen. The Spurs could send Kawhi to the Lakers for a good package, and maybe send LMA to Philly for a good package of picks and young players too. LMA only makes a little more than Kawhi, so the money probably works out, but Fultz, Saric, Kuzma, Ingram and 3-5 picks would be a hell of a starter kit for any team. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

I was kind of wondering if this would eventually happen. The Spurs could send Kawhi to the Lakers for a good package, and maybe send LMA to Philly for a good package of picks and young players too. LMA only makes a little more than Kawhi, so the money probably works out, but Fultz, Saric, Kuzma, Ingram and 3-5 picks would be a hell of a starter kit for any team. 

Lmfao, this is delusional as hell if you think this even remotely happens. 

What's this great culture you are referring to here? Isn't Philly the team whose gm or president just got fired for talking shit about his own players on fake twitter accounts? I mean Philly with Kawhi could make the finals so that in itself might be enough to get him to resign but is the culture reference to the team, the city or what?
Brett Brown is basically a Pop starter kit

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23216496/nba-how-philadelphia-76ers-formed-culture-built-win

I want whatever the hell this guy is smoking
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, HookEm said:

LMA trade value is not very high.

I don't know what the Spurs could get for LMA in return but I find this hard to believe after the season LMA had last year. LMA was one of the best bigs in the league last year. 

LMA's age (32) probably hurts his value but I guarantee there would be a line of teams interested. 

Edited by texasstrong12

Pop only has a couple of years left, if not one. He burned the last remaining years he could have had with his wife chasing a title with Kawhi. We aren't clearing out the roster and tanking while Pop is at the helm. Pop wants, no, needs one more title to make everything that has happened since 2014 worth it.

8 hours ago, NoRagrets said:

It's almost as if they should limit one max contract per team.  

Also, Kyrie just starred in a movie while playing in Boston.  Im not sure market had as much of an impact anymore.  

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

Something to keep in mind. Ingram and picks isn't substantially better if at all than some of the packages being thrown out there in reference to the Clippers. Tobias Harris is a good young player. 

I like Harris. He plays hard and has talent. We need more of that combination. 

As for Leonard ending up a Clipper, that's fine with me, assuming the total package sent to SA is good enough. I don't mind Los Angeles the city getting a star player from us...but I do mind the Lakers getting one. 

Edited by Gut Wagon

I don't know what the Spurs could get for LMA in return but I find this hard to believe after the season LMA had last year. LMA was one of the best bigs in the league last year. 
LMA's age (32) probably hurts his value but I guarantee there would be a line of teams interested. 

What this guy said.

Metu had a nice debut in summer league.  10 and 7, I think.  Very intrigued by him as I think he can step in and give us 10 minutes a night.... he might have to.  Lonnie had a night to forget but he'll get better.... he's young with lousy shot selection, it's going to take him some time.  Probably a full year before he resembles anything near his upside potential.  And then another year before he really gets a lot of the pro style PNR and passing.  Should be able to give effort on D right away.

Absolutely expect White to be a bench rotational player for us this season.  I was taken a little off guard by the Marco signing b/c of this.  I love Marco but 3 seasons was a long time ago and his defense was horrendous last year.  I'm sure he'll be put in better positions to succeed by our staff than Atlanta but no longer a young guy anymore....

1 minute ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I love Marco but 3 seasons was a long time ago and his defense was horrendous last year. 

If we aren't going to get D out of our backup shooting guard anyway, I have a feeling I'm going to be happier with Marco than with Patty. The latter puts forth defensive effort but is constantly abused by any counterpart with size and/or athleticism. And many nights Mills doesn't offset it with the offense our second unit needs. Besides, Marco seems to have been a popular teammate. Unlike a certain guy I'll not mention here. 

5 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

If we aren't going to get D out of our backup shooting guard anyway, I have a feeling I'm going to be happier with Marco than with Patty. The latter puts forth defensive effort but is constantly abused by any counterpart with size and/or athleticism. And many nights Mills doesn't offset it with the offense our second unit needs. Besides, Marco seems to have been a popular teammate. Unlike a certain guy I'll not mention here. 

Mills hasn't gone anywhere..... I'm going to guess they have Marco playing the wing on the 2nd unit with Patty as the "lead guard".  It's a strange signing b/c Marco gets pushed around on defense at the 3 and if White or Lonnie are going to get minutes it's on the 2nd unit.  Again, really like Marco but he's really an off guard.  At least he can shoot....

10 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Mills hasn't gone anywhere..... I'm going to guess they have Marco playing the wing on the 2nd unit with Patty as the "lead guard".  It's a strange signing b/c Marco gets pushed around on defense at the 3 and if White or Lonnie are going to get minutes it's on the 2nd unit.  Again, really like Marco but he's really an off guard.  At least he can shoot....

If Patty's playing "lead," I guess that really does mean they aren't holding onto TP? I haven't kept up with his situation in all this mess.

10 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

If Patty's playing "lead," I guess that really does mean they aren't holding onto TP? I haven't kept up with his situation in all this mess.

Yea, I almost put him back in...... If they re-sign TP then I have no idea what they're thinking with their roster construction.  They know what's going on with Kawhi and possibly pieces which may be going in and out but bringing Tony back would basically take minutes away from developing our young guys like White and Lonnie.  It also hurts are defense on the 2nd unit.

A day or so ago in this thread, I saw some shit about Tony's interview last season which supposedly got Kawhi's panties in a bunch......  Here's said interview.  First, I don't really believe he was that upset about the interview, seems like a BS excuse to try and build a narrative that the Spurs were mean to him.  Second, if he really was upset, he's a total pansy.  He also has Tony's phone number, he could have picked up the phone.... 

This is more like the reality of the situation.... 

Could the Spurs played this better?  Yes.  Do they need to rigorously review their medical staff?  Seems so.  But they're not the big bad guy here.....

• Like 3

A day or so ago in this thread, I saw some shit about Tony's interview last season which supposedly got Kawhi's panties in a bunch......  Here's said interview.  First, I don't really believe he was that upset about the interview, seems like a BS excuse to try and build a narrative that the Spurs were mean to him.  Second, if he really was upset, he's a total pansy.  He also has Tony's phone number, he could have picked up the phone.... 
[/url] This is more like the reality of the situation.... 
Could the Spurs played this better?  Yes.  Do they need to rigorously review their medical staff?  Seems so.  But they're not the big bad guy here.....

I said it back then and now after watching again feel the same way...I think Parker was being sarcastic when he made the "100% worse" comment. He smirked as he said it. Seems like much ado about nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

So fucking this.

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

How do you quote those three tweets and then conclude that the Spurs could have played it better and need to review their medical staff?

1 minute ago, Welch said:

How do you quote those three tweets and then conclude that the Spurs could have played it better and need to review their medical staff?

I believe Mitch had a nice post a few days ago on rumblings of some other "issues" we've had with misdiagnosis for our players.  It matches up with some things I've read.  Nothing totally concrete but often times, where there's smoke there's fire.  A robust review doesn't mean they necessarily did anything wrong, but it certainly seems in order.

4 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Uh oh Magic. 

The dichotomy between what ESPN trumpets (obviously getting a lot of sourcing from Klutch and/or the Lakers) vs other outlets have put out is interesting..... We already have seen what Jabari (Uncle Dennis) has put out about signing L-T in a place like Philly.

58 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I believe Mitch had a nice post a few days ago on rumblings of some other "issues" we've had with misdiagnosis for our players.  It matches up with some things I've read.  Nothing totally concrete but often times, where there's smoke there's fire.  A robust review doesn't mean they necessarily did anything wrong, but it certainly seems in order.

I think that earlier “misdiagnosis” was in regard to Mills coming off the 2014 title, or thereabouts. Someone will hop in here if I’m misstating it.