Jimbo 2020: Strangers with Candi

Machinator

Oh my, there's a pretty entertaining thread on Aggy247 - it's from Tarp's position group update series. 

Texas A&M spring preview: The interior defenders

Gigem247 is doing a breakdown of each position group as Texas A&M prepares to head into spring practice which is now less than two weeks away. Here's a look at the Aggies' interior defenders, what to expect from the key players involved, and who's likely to emerge as the starters.  Like most college defenses, A&M's front features a bigger nosetackle who's in a shade on the center to command double teams to free up the backers and a three tech or under tackle who is aligned on the outside shoulder of a guard to get penetration and make things happen in the backfield. 

JUSTIN MADUBUIKE

The sophomore played the under tackle and for the most part lived up to his four star billing coming out of high school after missing his first year on campus due to injury. He was the most valuable defender in the spring of 2018 and that carried over to his play in the fall. His get off not only enabled him to beat opponents inside (10.5 tackles for loss) but also provide an edge rush at times when he lined up outside in passing situations. He has the best burst off of the ball of any of the defensive linemen. 

JAYDEN PEEVY

On the surface, Peevy's 6 foot 6 frame should make it hard for him to keep his pad level down but held up well on the inside. He displayed good bend in his stance and coming off of the ball and improved the use of his hands to gain more and more playing time as the season went on, particularly down the stretch versus Ole Miss, UAB, and LSU. He’s got SEC size and also proved to be hard to move off of the ball. He demands double teams and keeps combo blocks from reaching the second level. He's not going to be noticeable unless you see the backers roam and make plays and only then will you realize he's doing his job.

BOBBY BROWN

The sophomore played the five tech defensive end last year behind Kingsley Keke. He is a big body who is now up to 330 pounds and has improved his knowledge of where to be and what to look for. A&M head coach Jimbo Fisher noted at one point that he would be moving inside and then mentioned at a press conference that he would be playing both inside and outside but his increased size dictates that in the long term he'll be on the interior. He'll need to improve his bend and work to keep his pad level down so that he can take on double teams. He'll lack Daylon Mack's pop but if he learns to play low he won't be moved off of the ball and should be able to move some folks around himself.

DERICK HUNTER

It will be interesting to see what Hunter accomplishes in his first spring on campus.  He has very good flexibility in is hips and knees and has a compact stance. This allows him to play with really good pad level for someone who is 6 foot 5 and display good get off out of his stance. Hunter will beat people on the opposing side of the ball out of their stance and never let them get reset. In addition, he’ll come off the line of scrimmage and make it difficult for pulling linemen to get to him or people farther down the line from him. He’s not a change of direction guy nor is he someone who moves extremely well laterally to make plays on either side of him. Ultimately, he is more of a straight line player who can run people down on plays run away from him. 

MOHAMED DIALLO

The former junior college defender is from Canada and never played football prior to an all-star game after his senior year of high school. His showing in a Team Canada vs. Team USA matchup earned him a spot at Arizona Western, one of the top junior college players in the country. Arizona Western had a talented and deep defensive line which featured other four players who also signed with FBS programs who had more high school experience and technique. He has good get off for someone his size and he's worked hard to make his way into the rotation as a prospect who was literally starting from scratch in terms of his technique and conditioning. He's still a work in progress but if everything clicks A&M could have an impact player who has he physical attributes to see time at either tackle spot. 

A&M should be able to put together a two deep of interior defenders coming out of the spring with the way that they've recruited the position the past few seasons. In fact, they've done a good enough job that you've got guys like TD Moton and Josh Rogers who are big bodies but combined to appear in just five games last season. Not only that, a lot of praise should go to defensive tackles coach Elijah Robinson. He's improved the technique and down to down focus of his charges and you could argue that there was no better starting position group in the program in 2018. 

The Aggies will rebuild around Madubuike who should again be a double digit tackles for loss guy in 2019 and disrupt the comfort level of opponents by commanding their attention. If Brown can transition inside and play with good pad level, then the interior will have a lot of size and make it difficult for the offense to do much on the ground even with an experienced offensive line. 

7 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Oh my, there's a pretty entertaining thread on Aggy247 - it's from Tarp's position group update series. 

Between this and the thread where he whines about Captain Marvel "shoving feminism down America's throats", Tarp's on a roll today.

Edited by satyanash
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

rustyo:: 
Good stuff Tarp. We are officially an SEC team. Size, talent and depth at DT.

RouxRueRoo::
At 330, I don't see Brown ever going back to 5 technique. He already wasn't the quickest DL on the field at whatever weight he played at last season. Anxious to see Hunter, think the kid could be a really good one.

Tarp ::
You win games in the SEC by displacing people and not being displaced.
A&M is on its way to doing this if it's not already there.

willrad10::
After McCoy this year, I think we'll see Green, Moore, and Hocker all drafted in 2021 (unless Green really breaks out this season and leaves early). Then start seeing guys drafted on a regular basis.

RouxRueRoo::
Totally agree. Will see the same on both sides of the ball. Which will be the primary factor of why we will win the SEC with Jimbo.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Until you play a BDF team that just runs around your fat ass.

I hope in the season opener Spav just says "Fuck it" and plays as fast up tempo as possible.  I mean, aggy will win, but it'd be hilarious if Spav can put up some points and chunk plays and yards.

24 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

It's interesting that he thinks that displacing the LOS is concept that only works in the SEC.

FACT: aggy's most successful season since WW2 involved a coach and QB bringing an innovative (for the SEC) offense into a league that had never really dealt with something like that before

2019 CONCLUSION: build the team like it's 1995

Edited by Chuckie Finster
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

FACT: aggy's most successful season since WW2 involved a coach and QB bringing an innovative (for the SEC) offense into a league that had never really dealt with something like that before

2019 CONCLUSION: build the team like it's 1995

Are you talking about Bear Bryant?

6 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Looch podcast is soooo good. 

On OL

"It's not great this year. it's good. There's a couple guys already commmited to Texas they've grossly inflated. They're good, but don't deserve to be ranked that high. Next year will be one of the best we've ever seen"

Why guys choose B12 over SEC

"As their recruitment goes on, there's a level of softness good coaches can detect"

"What makes them back off is there seems to be some trepidation for wanting to play defense in the SEC."

"He (Mark Jackson) chose to go play for a disgustingly group of players. That were so bad that they got not 1 but 2 coaches fired."

"I know OU has beaten some SEC teams. I know Texas has. They did it once. They do it with a month off. They don't do it week after week. Some of these kids aren't built for that grind."

"Although, I'll say this. There sure isn't a lot of players coming out of that league to play in the NFL in the early rounds to play defense. They don't want to admit it. But it's a problem"

On other crap

"They're trying very hard to create this narrative and perception from guys like Bryan Carrington, he'd rather be a rockstar. He's more concerned with that. Having his hair look right. And doing the shush emoji and being, you know, He's gotten caught up in being his own little celebrity. More so than,  eventually it will be put ahead of the actual task is. You don't see that right now. Herman will have to have control over that, and I don't think he will."

On Twitter

"I always get accused of, like you know, they think, he's trying to recruit for A&M...but the group covering Texas recruiting and that football program. I get hit with the term fanboy and it's fun, whatever, call me what you want. call me someone. Look what we buitl and you all wish we had this. Fine, look at what I built. I did this. We did this. This team did this. Thie owners did this. This started 20 years ago and it started with me doing this. They all want this. So there's a big deal of envy there. This group is the biggest group of fanboys I've seen. It's almost like they've assembled and are working together to hype certain guys out and get the word out. At the end of the day, they are fans on social media. There are lot of longhorns I consider dear friends. Hell, my sister, but the twitter texas fans are among the most disgusting despicable group I've seen."

On manipulating rankings

But they're going to spin it and spin their guys up, and when A&M loses a guy. They didn't spin Akinola up in their rankings like they did with Logan Parr. I don't think he's any better than Akinola or Bankhead. You look at the offer list. Major Burns is a badass, go watch his tape. He didn't soar up the rankings. Garrett Hayes has better Oline tape than any lineman in the state, and he's not an Aggy yet. I would say coming into last weekend, OU or Arkansas probably led. His tape is better than anyone in Texas. And He's not an undersized guy. He's 6-5 280, almost 285 now, playing three sports. He's an elite prospect. He's an OL coaches dream. We havent' seen him soar up yet like Jaylen Garth did. So, just like last year, you could go back, you know the manipulation of the rankings. And Shannon Terry has to answer to this, and he's tried to, and Shannon's is my dude. But What's happening now with 247, , what happened last year with some of these moves is head scratching, like the kid from Plano East...What Texas is doing right now with the overhyping of guys, and demaning that eyeballs get on him, and probably behind the scenes talking. It's become like a thing. Oh Lucci thinks this. It's become a funny joke. It's a funny because it's true. But at the same time. So Akinola doesn't shoot up, so they don't do that, but when he decommits it's a devastating loss, so which one is it. And here' sthe deal. There's going to be decommits, if they think Texas A&M recruiting is going anywhere, it's laughable. This reruiting staff is head and shoulders above the one in Austin, and time will bear that out. No matter how much you do that. 

Thanks for the suffering you did for this recap. Much appreciated

3 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

I have no idea what youre talking about.  I just know Sunflower is my kids' favorite song by a mile right now.

If he's angry that a historically female superhero is "pushing a feminist agenda", a black/Latino Spiderman would probably melt his brain. /noCR

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Garrett Hayes has better Oline tape than any lineman in the state, and he's not an Aggy yet. I would say coming into last weekend, OU or Arkansas probably led. His tape is better than anyone in Texas. And He's not an undersized guy. He's 6-5 280, almost 285 now, playing three sports. He's an elite prospect. He's an OL coaches dream. We havent' seen him soar up yet like Jaylen Garth did. So, just like last year, you could go back, you know the manipulation of the rankings. 

I have no idea if Hayes is elite or not. But I love the fact that Looch previously states Garth was the best OL in state but now since he’s a Longhorn and they’ve been ghosted by every other OL guy, they are hyping Hayes up 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, satyanash said:

I like how the titles of these articles are starting to sound more and more desperate.

Damon Sayles: North Carolina OL Anthony Carter Jr. comments on A&M, considering a visit

Hide contents

Recruiting and evaluating talent from coast to coast has been a recognizable calling card of sorts for Jimbo Fisherand his staff. In the last two recruiting classes, the Texas A&M staff has signed 17 out-of-state players, from California to Florida to Pennsylvania. The 2020 class has six commits, and one, 4-star safety Major Burns, is from Louisiana. The Aggies are hoping to have similar success with out-of-state targets in the 2020 class. Matthews, North Carolina, offensive lineman Anthony Carter Jr. is one of the latest players to land a Texas A&M offer, The 6-foot-4, 300-pound, 3-star lineman from Butler High School has 19 reported offers and added Texas to his growing list on Wednesday. "I've been told I can play tackle or guard," Carter told GigEm247. "It really doesn't matter to me. I'm comfortable everywhere."

Carter, who played right tackle for Butler during the 2018 season, is being recruited by Texas A&M offensive line coach Josh Henson. Carter has been in contact with Henson and said he is considering a visit to College Station between now and the end of the summer. "I talked to him the night before," Carter said of Henson. "We talked about football and Texas A&M. We talked about the environment and the conference. He was telling me by the time I get there, there would be a lot of open spots."

Carter has 19 offers, but Texas A&M is Carter's first SEC offer. His stock is expected to rise throughout the spring, and he has a chance to truly make an impact for college recruiting evaluators next month at The Opening Charlotte. Carter took an unofficial visit to Clemson on Saturday and said he enjoyed the trip as a whole. It was his first trip to the home of the reigning national champion. It's a placed he said "was different there" but a place he really liked. Texas A&M is hoping Carter can say the same about its campus one day. The winning school, whichever school lands Carter, will get a player who not only enjoys contact but makes it his business at Butler to be the enforcer on the offensive line. "I'm physical, and I will put people on their butts," he said. "I make sure I finish off my blocks."

Carter is nationally ranked as the No. 38 offensive guard in the 2020 class, according to 247Sports. He's also ranked the No. 20 player out of the state of North Carolina.

I'd think any OOC recruits actually signing to play at college station have a high rate of transferring after being on campus for a short period of time.  You really, really have to "get it" to want to go there.

8 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

I'd think any OOC recruits actually signing to play at college station have a high rate of transferring after being on campus for a short period of time.  You really, really have to "not get it" to want to go there.

FIFY

• Like 1

7 hours ago, texifornia said:

If he's angry that a historically female superhero is "pushing a feminist agenda", a black/Latino Spiderman would probably melt his brain. /noCR

Not to nitpick... but historically Captain Marvel is a man. “Ms. Marvel” which was Carol Danvers character for decades was a woman but she didn’t take up the Captain Marvel name until 2010 or so (IIRC).  Also I didn’t read tarps rant (so if it’s super sexist please note that he’s a fucking idiot and I’m not supporting him) but most of the comic fans I know that are upset at the Captain Marvel movie are upset that Dr Lawson aka Mar Vel was portrayed as a woman not that Carol Danvers was the star of the movie.  There was very little need to change that character to be a woman and the plot line would have worked all the same.  Still it a was a good flick which I’m going to see again tomorrow.

Back to aggy recruiting.

1 hour ago, TKthunder2 said:

Not to nitpick... but historically Captain Marvel is a man. “Ms. Marvel” which was Carol Danvers character for decades was a woman but she didn’t take up the Captain Marvel name until 2010 or so (IIRC).  Also I didn’t read tarps rant (so if it’s super sexist please note that he’s a fucking idiot and I’m not supporting him) but most of the comic fans I know that are upset at the Captain Marvel movie are upset that Dr Lawson aka Mar Vel was portrayed as a woman not that Carol Danvers was the star of the movie.  There was very little need to change that character to be a woman and the plot line would have worked all the same.  Still it a was a good flick which I’m going to see again tomorrow.

Back to aggy recruiting.

You're going to see Captain Marvel in theaters twice? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

Back to aggy recruiting.

I'm sure you won't be a virgin forever.

41 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

And GigEm247 hits a new low: https://247sports.com/college/texas-am/Board/20/Contents/Patrick-Hudson-129955071/

Their posters are garbage people. 

Screenshots for the people not subsidizing Perroni's salary? Potentially a job for @Longhornfrenzy

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Screenshots for the people not subsidizing Perroni's salary? Potentially a job for @Longhornfrenzy

Cliffs: 

- Hudson wasn’t nasty, mean, tough enough to play in the SEC. 

- Texas can’t develop players. What a waste of talent. They of course never acknowledge his health problems. 

- I won’t repeat the worst part, but Hudson’s personal life is none of their business.  

• Like 1

Just now, billfromlaketravis said:

Cliffs: 

- Texas can’t develop players. What a waste of talent. They of course never acknowledge his health problems. 

- I won’t repeat the worst part, but Hudson’s personal life is none of their business.   

They've been calling him gay (nttawwt, but also who knows if it's true, and it's totally not their business) since he decommitted.

16 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Cliffs: 

14 minutes ago, texifornia said:

They've been calling him gay (nttawwt, but also who knows if it's true, and it's totally not their business) since he decommitted.

https://247sports.com/college/texas-am/Board/20/Contents/Hudson-46026776/

Be prepared, it's a pretty nasty thread. The homophobia started flowing thick and fast after someone posted this video.

Edited by satyanash